Vineman Events
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 55m 56s
Overall Rank = 221/323
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 37/58
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4am ate some oatmeal and began to hydrate. We drove over to the start area and I prepared my transition area.
Event warmup:

Stretched and then swam a few strokes to get my arms ready to go.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 31s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out on the right side not too far from the shore and was surprised that everyone was so far behind the start area.

I swam well from the get go and felt like I was moving at a decent pace. The first part of the swim was against a slight current so I knew that I just needed to swim decent and draft whenever possible.

After a little I found myself separated a little but then fishy swimmers the wave behind me started to catch me and I would jump in behind them as they went by and grab little drafts for a few strokes at a time.

I then made it to the turn around. I noticed there were people standing up. I popped up real quick and took a look down the river and then found that I regained a smoother stroke. I made it back to the start much faster than swimming to the first turn.

I then realized I just need to grind out some more strokes and I would be at the halfway point of the second lap and could cruise in to the finish of the swim.

I was glad to run through the barrels and when I got to my bike I knew I had swam a PR swim. (I didn't have my watch on and just guessed by what time it was... turned out to be a 3 minute swim PR)
What would you do differently?:

There were a few times that I got a little lackadaisical and lost my stroke a little. It was mostly on the way up stream to the turn around. Just need to focus more and continue to work on my form and timing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. I had my suit down as soon as I got out of the water and the strippers immediately had my suit off. I then slowed slightly because I stepped over to the carpet so I could try to get all the dirt off my feet before slipping my shoes on. There was also a slight backup on the run out of transition as a slightly faster swim than I normally have done meant more people in T1.. I'll accept that.

Perhaps a towel. That would have made my transition area better since the setup was over a rocky dirt area by the river.
Bike
  • 5h 59m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out the bike feeling great and continued to feel great. The course was great although the road had some bumpy spots but it was just really neat how the course turned and winded through many areas with trees nearly covering the roads and rolling up and down.

I made my way along and was at a great pace staying real comfortable averaging 21 mph. The vines on each side of the road really added to the atmosphere but I still concentrated on the road as the turns just kept coming and I had to avoid some of the bad spots in the road.

It started to warm up a little as the first lap of the course continued on and I still felt really good. I rode right up chalk hill and then eased up a little as there was a small noise coming from my fork/front wheel area. I checked it out a little and decided it wasn't really anything as I did not notice any problems with it. It was then that Pilgrim passed me (I had caught up to him just a little before that). He jokingly said... "Did chalk hill get the best of you?" I passed him back with a long winded "Nooo."

I continued on and started the second lap. After we went by the special needs area, we started winding through the hilly vine area. I could no longer see the riders in front of me and had separated from the riders behind me. It seemed like I was riding all alone for at least 45 minutes or so. I peeked behind and saw a rider catching up and also had a rider out ahead of me that I was pulling in. We then got back to the headwind stretch around 72 miles in. I grinded it out for a while but then at about mile 87 I started to feel some cramps coming on.

I ate a powergel and eased up my gears so that I could spin faster. This really didn't work so I just kept at it and continued to drink. I knew that Chalk hill was coming up soon and wanted to have my legs ready to spin up it. I got my muscles nearly ready, but not quite cramp free and it was painful as I rode up the hill. I then would not be able to keep the cramps at bay for the rest of the ride.

I really like rolling hill courses as I can gain speed on the downhill and hold it well up the shorter rolling hills. Even though I am feeling great I should maybe ease up some to make sure the crampmonster does not rear its ugly head.

I think that since I was feeling so good for the first 75+ miles and I did not think it would get so hot out that I just kept riding well. I fought through some strong headwind from miles 72-82 as it got hot and even though I continued to drink, some higher cadence in a lower gear riding would have probably have helped keep me from blowing up.
Transition 2
  • 10m 25s
Comments:

I arrived in T2 ready to ease my way through but I just couldn't bend down at all without what seemed like every muscle in my legs locking up. I also cramped in my shoulder area.

A volunteer saw me struggling and helped me get my bike shoes off. I then walked around some trying to loosen my muscles. The pavement was very hot as it was 97 degrees out by then. I got back on a dead grassy area.

I had to battle to put my socks on... then I the might battle to put my shoes on ensued. I was glad that I had put speed laces on as that made them easier to put on and then I wouldn't have to tie them.

I also slowly left T1 as I had not heard a beep from my timing chip and I asked them to check that my times were recording. My times were recording so I gladly left on slowly walking the cramps out.

Not much that I could do to speed it up.
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

We'll just say this was painful. I decided there was no way I would stop. I quit at IMAZ after 4 miles and I wasn't going to do that here. I wasn't walking dizzingly like I was there and I just had cramping pains.... well and blister pains.

I don't know when I got the blisters but my feet felt like they were on fire from the time I started walking away from T1.

At each aid station I grabbed a water and Gatorade and kept walking forward. As I walked towards mile 3 with a guy from the LA tri club I told him I was going to run the 4th mile as I was starting to feel a little better. I successfully ran it, except for a real steep hill that I walked up. I kept running but it was a getting to be more like a shuffle as it felt like that if I brought my knees up at all that I would cramp. A little after the turn around I began walking again. I would then mostly shuffle on the down hill and walk on the up hill for the remainder of the first lap.

On the second lap I started out running pretty well and felt decent but then I felt my stomach bubbling like a cauldron so I started walking again. I was back to the shuffle then walk combo and would mainly shuffle as I was starting to need to pee. I felt that was a good sign but it was really clear and I had to dance at the port a johns a few times. As time went on my walking was a little slower each time and I even had to walk backwards down the steep hill.

On the third lap I felt like I was only going to be able to walk. I had plenty of time but after while would shuffle forward as I wanted to get it done.

Then at mile 19 I threw up. I threw up so much liquid, over and over. I kept moving slowly as I walked while holding my head down. A lady mentioned that I should sit and take a break but I said that I would cramp and needed to keep moving. After a little bit I felt like I could hold my head up again and picked up some more Gatorade and water but mixed it to be mostly water and slowly drank it. I kept walking but as I got to the turn around area I started to shuffle again. I just really wanted to get closer to the finish faster and my walk had really deteriorated to super slow. (I think the mile where I got sick took about 25 minutes to cover)

I kept adding shuffles on the downhill and was really looking forward to the finish. Shuffle then walk... shuffle then walk... etc. etc. etc.

I finally made it and actually somehow had a running stride down the homestretch.

Not cramp or have blisters... I needed to come of the bike in better shape.
Post race
Warm down:

I slowly wandered over to transition area and got my bike. Then started heading to the swim bag area. I wanted to gather my things quickly and then find my friends. As I headed to the swim bag area I would pause and a lady then helped me to the medical area (she collected my bag for me). I received 2 bags and then we went back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps, heat, and blisters.

Event comments:

This is a really neat race. It is challenging, not too difficult but still challenging. I really like the course although it would be a lot better if the roads were in better shape.

The RD puts on a good organized race and the crowd was great too. I really was glad to receive all of the encouragement from them during the run. I also really enjoyed the camaraderie that the BOP has. I am normally a ways ahead of them and I had even weeded my way up in the race during the bike but gradually made my way back a ways. Everyone was very encouraging and helpful for each other and I really appreciated that.

I would like to do this race again (but would like a cooler day... arggghhh 97 degrees... it was supposed to be 85)

Last updated: 2008-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:31 | 3862 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 47/58
Overall: 299/323
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot sleeveless
Course: The swim course is an 2 loops of a out & back course which starts in front of the dam at Johnson’s Beach and proceeds upstream stream to the turn-around point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:59:11 | 112 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/58
Overall: 55/323
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: The 112 mile point-to-point bike portion of the Full Vineman passes through the heart of Sonoma County’s wine country. Shortly after beginning the ride beneath the redwoods in Guerneville, it is off through miles and miles of vineyards! Dozens of wineries and literally hundreds of vineyards line the Vineman bike course. The bike begins at Johnson’s Beach in Guerneville and finishes at Windsor High School. The gently rolling hills are challenging, but not overwhelming. Chalk Hill, the largest hill on the course is approximately 385 feet above sea level at its crest. The bike course begins at approximately 50 feet above sea level and ends at approximately 100 feet above sea level.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 10:25
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 46/58
Overall: 218/323
Performance: Bad
Course: The 26.2 mile Full Vineman run course is a 3 loop rolling course. 3 out and back loops.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-06 1:21 AM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Vineman

2008-08-06 1:29 AM
in reply to: #1584409

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Vineman
CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an amazing race for you. Super job on the swim PR, the speedy bike, and gutting it through the run (literally ... with the spewing and the cramps). That's a crazy good Iron time and you are awesome!!!
2008-08-06 2:10 AM

User image

Regular
So Cal.

I think maybe I am the LA Tri Club guy you mentioned.  

Nonetheless, Congratulations!  Good job toughing out that run, and great bike split.  It was WAY too hot out there.

2008-08-06 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Way to hang tough, my man!
2008-08-06 8:41 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Great job on there.  Congrats on the swim PR.  Looks like a solid bike split.  Sounds like you overcame some real rough spots on the run.  Way to stick it out.  Enjoy your recovery and take care of your feet!
2008-08-06 10:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-08-06 10:38 AM

Elite
San Jose, CA
This will be my first IM next year!  I am so excited to do it.  Sounds like it was a great race for you...except the throwing up on the run part...your swim and bike rocked! 
2008-08-06 11:05 AM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Wow! What a tough, tough day. 97 degrees! That run just sounded brutal. But you pushed through and got it done. Way to go! And great job on the PR of the swim! That is awesome!

Hard to believe Silverman is just around the corner!

2008-08-06 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Nice work finishing on a tough day Andy!

2008-08-06 2:09 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Very impressive! Congrats on the swim PR and way to tough it out on the run. I hope your feet are feeling better!

Well done!

2008-08-06 2:19 PM

Albuquerque, NM

Way to grind it out Andy!  Good job finishing on a HOT tough day. 

You probably cramped because your Spaghetti came too late

2008-08-06 2:21 PM

New user

Hi, I just finish my first Tri (sprint) last week, and to read the experience about a full Ironman it's just mind blowing and a motivation to keep going...  Congratulations!!
2008-08-06 4:57 PM

Pro
AZ
Wow! It got really tough out there for you Andy, but you did it!!!  Worries me to read about you cramping up and getting the blisters and throwing up!!!   I am sure the heat did not help!!!  Awesome job sucking it up and doing what you had to do to get through it!!! 
2008-08-07 2:33 AM

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Wow sounds like a tough course and the 97 degree heat certainly can't help. But you really finished strong, great job.
2008-08-07 9:40 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on battling through the cramps and blisters. I think you would've had a better time running if you'd stopped at a few of the wineries on the bike leg Great job getting the swim PR, too!
2008-08-07 12:34 PM

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like a rough day out there Andy. Congratulations on battling through it. I've done the death march a couple of times and it is mentally very difficult. Way to pull through.

See you at Silverman.

2008-08-09 12:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ

Hey Andy, way to go and push through the rough spots to finish.  Myself being a BOPer, I can appreciate the camaraderie that we have.  You are awesome.

2008-08-12 12:24 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Wow Andy great job out there gutting it out sounds like a super tough day in the HEAT! (What is with all the hot races?) You really pulled through! Congrats on the PR swim that is awesome!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Rss Feed