General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-10-17 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Boston Marathon

I gave in to peer pressure and reg'd!  Woot!!!

Who else is going?

When you getting there?

Where are you staying?

BT meet-up on Sunday eve???

I'll be arriving by Sat late morning, staying near the "Wonderland" station (??) on the Blue Line.  FYI - If anyone needs a roof and a bed, the room I've got has 2 queen beds (and I don't think I snore).

Edited by jesswah 2008-10-17 3:39 PM

2008-10-18 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1750664

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon

Glad you will be able to come to town. Just a heads up, the blue line dose not run 24/7. You will need to make arrangements to get to Hopkington for the start, if you have not already done so. I am envious, as getting a qualifying time is not likely anytime soon. Good luck with your training.

2008-10-19 7:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I just sent in my registration yesterday as well! I'm excited!!

We are thinking of maybe renting a house of something outside of the city...any suggestions on where to look?
2008-10-19 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
AdCo and I have charity numbers...  just a wee bit nervous.   We're local though, so no hotel.   Definitely in for a meetup.
2008-11-06 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)

Uhhhhh, how many people are ya willing to shove in that room anyhow?

JUST IN CASE!  They are SO expensive, or nonexistant..geez!  Myself, Q and TALK2MEGOOSE are beginning to look for a place. YIKES!

2008-12-08 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I am all in for this year.

I qualified for Boston last December but due to a conflict, was not able to run it in 2008. (My Brother got married on the same day) Good thing my time counts for both 2008 and 2009.

I registered the day it opened for 2009. (I already have my postcard)

This past weekend I returned to the scene of the crime (Tucson) and ran a 3:10:27 that will both qualify me for 2010, but will also move me up a corral or two for 2009 and 2010.

See you all in Boston

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-12-08 11:09 AM

2008-12-08 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

I will likely be volunteering again - I hope at the finish....

Happy to help organize a meetup sunday - even the locale - my house in brookline.

2008-12-08 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Can I admit that I am running it bandit?  If not, then I'm not.
2008-12-09 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1844844

User image

Beantown
TriToy - 2008-12-08 9:53 PM

I will likely be volunteering again - I hope at the finish....

Happy to help organize a meetup sunday - even the locale - my house in brookline.

Volunteering sounds like a great idea!!  Although I'm a regular at the Sox game on Patriot's Day - if I can't score tickets I'll be there!

http://bostonmarathon.org/Volunteering/BostonMarathonVolunteer.asp

Good Luck to all runners - bandit & legit!

2008-12-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1844887

Veteran
Bend, OR
rcberto - 2008-12-08 7:18 PM

U R goin to steal from the greatest distance running event of all time??????? Some people spend years trying to get into this race....I don't think you should....but I can't stop you. I just think that this is the LAST race someone should run bandit.....out of respect for the sport. If you can't qualify...you shouldn't run it....and if you don;t want to spend the money....thats just sad.
2008-12-09 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
I registered yesterday... psyched!

Probably staying with friends in Melrose, but also heading to Vermont to spend time with my family. My parents 50th anniversary celebration, my mom's birthday, and running Boston... does it get any better?

Would love to hook up somewhere on Sunday. Let's get this party rolling!

2008-12-09 6:10 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
rcberto - 2008-12-08 9:18 PM

Weak.
2008-12-09 7:25 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
it's not running bandit, just a long training run on closed roads
2008-12-09 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1845507

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA

cparnell - 2008-12-09 12:00 PM
rcberto - 2008-12-08 7:18 PM Can I admit that I am running it bandit?  If not, then I'm not.
U R goin to steal from the greatest distance running event of all time??????? Some people spend years trying to get into this race....I don't think you should....but I can't stop you. I just think that this is the LAST race someone should run bandit.....out of respect for the sport. If you can't qualify...you shouldn't run it....and if you don;t want to spend the money....thats just sad.

Wanna let me borrow $3k?  If not, that's just sad.

2008-12-09 9:13 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
I'm in!!!! Registered yesterday!!
2008-12-10 8:23 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

rcberto - 2008-12-08 9:18 PM Can I admit that I am running it bandit?  If not, then I'm not.
Don't bandit that's a big no no; I know some peeps who have ran the course but starting 3 hrs before the race start, they bring their own support (fuel belt, gels and such) and just take advantage of the closed roads/low traffic. That way you are not getting in anyone's way who paid their entrace and taking away from the aid stations cuz that is considered poor form for any race.

I'll be riding the course going out and back starting at the finish line very early (start at 6am) and then sit back and cheer for the finishers. I qualified early this year but since my focus are Tris and my 1st 70.3 race is on May I am going to skip it. Maybe I'll run on 2010...

2008-12-10 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1846573

Veteran
Bend, OR
rcberto - 2008-12-09 5:47 PM

rcberto - 2008-12-08 7:18 PM Can I admit that I am running it bandit?  If not, then I'm not.

3k? It can be done wayyy cheaper...especially since you live in MA. Anyways...the money spent is supporting charity and the running community in general. If it meant enough to run Boston for you, you would save up. I don't want to be out there on the course with a bandit...it cheapens the race. I want to know that everyone out there worked their tails off and deserved to be there. If I see a bandit...I'm flaggin down a race official....sorry....its out of respect for history of the race. You should read up on it...maybe your feelings will change. I like Jorge's idea....run it early....no harm done there.
2008-12-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1847234

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
cparnell - 2008-12-10 10:23 AM

3k? It can be done wayyy cheaper...especially since you live in MA. Anyways...the money spent is supporting charity and the running community in general. If it meant enough to run Boston for you, you would save up. I don't want to be out there on the course with a bandit...it cheapens the race. I want to know that everyone out there worked their tails off and deserved to be there. If I see a bandit...I'm flaggin down a race official....sorry....its out of respect for history of the race. You should read up on it...maybe your feelings will change. I like Jorge's idea....run it early....no harm done there.

Alright, the last thing I want to do is be a jerk.  Here's the thing.  There are about 2,000 bandits who run the race every year.  The race officials allow them all to start after the corporate and charity people in wave three.  I was planning on wearing a fuel belt with the back pocket full of GU's with no intention of pretending to be legitimate.  My reason for doing this rather than charity is because I don't want to ask friends and family in these times for a bunch of money and then possibly not run the race.  I would possibly not run because I care more about my upcoming tri season.  If I got injured I wouldn't push through it.  I'd get back on the bike and in the pool.  The course goes right by a zillion of my old apartments, jobs, gyms, and late night rendevous .  So, it's not some magical race for me, just something I'd really like to accomplish.  So, after reading blog after blog about how running bandit is not that bad a thing if you bring your own fuel, and that the race officials actually plan for and accomodate 2,000 runners a year I didn't think I was being such a jerk.

Now, I'll keep training and hope I can buy a bib somehow.  I don't want to off the people I respect and have learned so much from this first year of tris.  Sorry, I didn't know I was being such a tool.  People work really hard to qualify I didn't think I was cheapening the whole experience for them.

2008-12-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1847234

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

Actually, the history of the race is all about bandits. The reason they even have charity spots was to cut down on the people running as bandits. And there are a couple of thousand every year still.

2008-12-10 10:43 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

You find bandits everywhere, so that and the number of them makes it right?  I dont get that logic.  Screw em all.

2008-12-10 10:43 AM

User image

banditing the Boston Marathon is poor form, period.  Who cares if 2000 other people are doing it?  That still doesn't make it right.  I can still hear my parents saying "I don't care what everyone else does.  Would you jump off the bridge because they all jumped?"

There are other ways in besides charity slots.  I got my bib from a local track club several years ago.  Get involved and give to the sport instead of stealing from it.

<steps off soapbox now>

2008-12-10 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1847257

Veteran
Bend, OR
rcberto - 2008-12-10 7:38 AM

Alright, the last thing I want to do is be a jerk.  Here's the thing.  There are about 2,000 bandits who run the race every year.  The race officials allow them all to start after the corporate and charity people in wave three.  I was planning on wearing a fuel belt with the back pocket full of GU's with no intention of pretending to be legitimate.  My reason for doing this rather than charity is because I don't want to ask friends and family in these times for a bunch of money and then possibly not run the race.  I would possibly not run because I care more about my upcoming tri season.  If I got injured I wouldn't push through it.  I'd get back on the bike and in the pool.  The course goes right by a zillion of my old apartments, jobs, gyms, and late night rendevous .  So, it's not some magical race for me, just something I'd really like to accomplish.  So, after reading blog after blog about how running bandit is not that bad a thing if you bring your own fuel, and that the race officials actually plan for and accomodate 2,000 runners a year I didn't think I was being such a jerk.

Now, I'll keep training and hope I can buy a bib somehow.  I don't want to off the people I respect and have learned so much from this first year of tris.  Sorry, I didn't know I was being such a tool.  People work really hard to qualify I didn't think I was cheapening the whole experience for them.

I think there is still some harm done even if you don't take gels, ect.. What about all the great fans that will be cheering you on because they think you qualified, spent the money, and that this race means alot to you?? They will be cheated of their emotions too.

Also, you say that Boston is something you have really wanted to accomplish. So are you saying that if you bandited the race....you would fulfill that accomplishment? Banditing a race is not accomplishing anything....if anything, you would be a detriment to the race. Would you go and tell people for the rest of your life....."ya....I did Boston." I hope you can say that someday....but not because you bandited it....but because you qualified, registered, and raced it!

Edited by cparnell 2008-12-10 11:26 AM
2008-12-10 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1847448

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA

"Quote from Parnell" I think there is still some harm done even if you don't take gels, ect.. What about all the great fans that will be cheering you on because they think you qualified, spent the money, and that this race means alot to you?? They will be cheated of their emotions too. Also, you say that Boston is something you have really wanted to accomplish. So are you saying that if you bandited the race....you would fulfill that accomplishment? Banditing a race is not accomplishing anything....if anything, you would be a detriment to the race. Would you go and tell people for the rest of your life....."ya....I did Boston." I hope you can say that someday....but not because you bandited it....but because you qualified, registered, and raced it! "Quote from Parnell"

My dear moral leader, my post earlier was an admission that I had no idea how serious people were taking this and an apology for "cheapening" people's accomplishments.  At the end I said I will be seeking a bib rather then banditing the race.  I suggest you spend your time looking at yourself in the mirror or finding something a little more worthwhile to worry about.  I've been on the sidelines many a year cheering for everyone running by.  I'm going to cry myself to sleep now because I probably cheered for a corporate exemption or gasp a bandit.  My emotions have been cheated.  The reality is that the fans at Boston are having a good time that day watching people have FUN (and hoping the Sox win).  There are very few people walking around choosing whether a person is worthy of cheering for and fewer walking around with their sole identity being that of a BM qualifier.

And yes, if I completed the 26.2 course under my goal time I would have accomplished running the BM.   Emotionally, you are comparing all corporate and charity runners to bandits.  Maybe qualifying isn't that high on people's lists of accomplishments.  Maybe finishing is.  All in all, calm down.

Edited by rcberto 2008-12-10 12:34 PM
2008-12-10 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1847555

Veteran
Bend, OR
rcberto - 2008-12-10 10:33 AM

"Quote from Parnell" I think there is still some harm done even if you don't take gels, ect.. What about all the great fans that will be cheering you on because they think you qualified, spent the money, and that this race means alot to you?? They will be cheated of their emotions too. Also, you say that Boston is something you have really wanted to accomplish. So are you saying that if you bandited the race....you would fulfill that accomplishment? Banditing a race is not accomplishing anything....if anything, you would be a detriment to the race. Would you go and tell people for the rest of your life....."ya....I did Boston." I hope you can say that someday....but not because you bandited it....but because you qualified, registered, and raced it! "Quote from Parnell"

My dear moral leader, my post earlier was an admission that I had no idea how serious people were taking this and an apology for "cheapening" people's accomplishments.  At the end I said I will be seeking a bib rather then banditing the race.  I suggest you spend your time looking at yourself in the mirror or finding something a little more worthwhile to worry about.  I've been on the sidelines many a year cheering for everyone running by.  I'm going to cry myself to sleep now because I probably cheered for a corporate exemption or gasp a bandit.  My emotions have been cheated.  The reality is that the fans at Boston are having a good time that day watching people have FUN (and hoping the Sox win).  There are very few people walking around choosing whether a person is worthy of cheering for and fewer walking around with their sole identity being that of a BM qualifier.

And yes, if I completed the 26.2 course under my goal time I would have accomplished running the BM.   Emotionally, you are comparing all corporate and charity runners to bandits.  Maybe qualifying isn't that high on people's lists of accomplishments.  Maybe finishing is.  All in all, calm down.

Oh I'm plenty calm...there must be a reason why you got so hyped up about my comment tho. You knew what I was saying.... you can twist it all you want. The bottom line is that there is no way you can defend yourself for wanting to bandit a race (which you magically retracted). And excuse me for being passionate about running and the fans. I take it all very seriously...and it does bother me that fans would be cheering for a bandit. Just like if an athlete uses roids and takes the glory of winning....fake. Also, there is absolutely no connection between the fans of the Red Sox and the fans that come out to watch a marathon. For many, distance running is about perseverence, personal struggle, and accomplishing a goal. And it CAN be an emotional thing for many people....my co-worker just ran her first half marathon and she said she was crying as she crossed the finish line. I think those are the people who should be out there....not bandits who obviously have NO respect for the sport. Go run by your old hang-outs another day....and leave Boston for those who actually care enough to sign up.

I think the reason why you don't take this seriosuly is becuase maybe its all just fun and games to you......a new hobby (maybe a way to lose a few).....you can't understand why someone like me who would care about distance running fans......Now, don't get me wrong, I think its awesome that you are enjoying this sport (along with everyone else), I just think you should respect the people who REALLY care about this stuff instead of attacking them for trying to be a "moral leader." And as far as me calming down.....I think you are calm enough for the both of us...calm enough to bandit Boston. At least you tested the waters with your initial comment....now you know.

Edited by cparnell 2008-12-10 1:54 PM
2008-12-10 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

OK, then.... How 'bout them damn Yankees

I would be interested in hearing what sort of training plan everyone will be following for Boston. We will be 18 weeks out very shortly and it's time to start ramping up. Of course, if your doing a 12 week plan, you still have some couch time before it starts getting tough.

What plan is everyone following?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon Rss Feed  

of 5