The Red Rock Company
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 25m 45s
Overall Rank = 472/490
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 35/37
Pre-race routine:

Sleeping before a major race is really over rated. I think I slept all of 2.5 hours. Awoke at 330, took my Vit. and stretch for a bit. Went on a 5 mile ride through my area on the mountain bike, cold morning. Pack and left for Tempe
Event warmup:

Got to tranision at 530 T1/T2 closes at 615, it didnt give us alot of time to set up. Basically threw everything into a pill and figured that I would sort it out after the swim.. Lucky for I didint, after setting up the bike I notice that my straw for my Areo bottle was missing. "What?!?!?! you forgot it at home?" No, I remebered my daughter playing with it before I went to sleep. "Damn!!" this is going to be a long bike ride. Luckly a friend who was doing the Quarterman decided to give me his and he was going to just use his water bottles. Thank God!!
Swim
  • 53m 40s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the best swim that I have ever done!!!! Freestyled %90 of the time and Breaststroke %10, most of that was because I was way off course and drifted into the middle of the lake. Ended up swimming 250 meters more which mess with my time.

Right out of the gate it was chaos, by the time the gun went off half of my wave wasnt even in the water yet. I had remembered this from last year and decided to jump into the lake at the front of the line. Went throught the normal human blender, but I battled my way through it all. Normally I would BS until it cleared but I have been feeling really strong these last couple of weeks in the swim so I just moved everyone over and kept on swimming. As I the sun rose on the herizon it basically blinded everyone the bouys were small and hard to see and alot of people had either missed them or were redirted back on course.
Three things that made my swim go really well was entering the lake on the far right hand side early, two not letting other swimmers cause me to panic, and three, which was a new thing to do but I get thirsty when I swim longer than 1000 meters so I filled a Gu shot bottle with nuun and drank it about half way through the course, gettng that lake water out of my mouth was great.
Swimming the last 100meters I still felt strong and was happy when i got out of the water and my legs felt GREAT!!!!
I yelled "THAT WAS THE BEST SWIM EVER!!!!" People stared but I didnt care. On off to the bike
I was off my time by 8 minutes but I told myself that i would have a slower time in the swim if it meant stronger legs for the bike, need to make up that time in T1/Bike
What would you do differently?:

Sight better into the Sun and stay on course. Use some body Glide, I got a rash during the swim..
Transition 1
  • 05m 28s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers were great, quick time there and I actually ran in/out of T1. Was rushed setting up T1 and had alittle difficulty in getting things on. However, I was in no rush to do the 56.83 mile bike ride. 90 sec faster than I predicted.

Get to transion right when it open so I have time to set up and visit with the ESCKTC, TNT, Focus and Az-tri club. I got everything.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 14s
  • 52.6 miles
  • 16.77 mile/hr
Comments:

This will the first race with "Kristin" my TT bike. Legs feeling strong I started the bike in pretty good shape. Could'nt get my Garmin to start for the first minute or so, but was still traveling at 17 mph, once I got it started I went into areo and was really moving. Every time I would get into a groove, we had to slow down and make some kind of turn, whether it was a 90 degree or a 180. It was madding. Got passed by a lot of people. but didnt really care, i was moving a lot faster than in training feeling really good. Saw a lot of the ESCKTC's, specially when they passed me, which happened a lot. Got into the "hilly" part of the course and had to drop to the granny gears just so I didnt kill my legs. First lap I finish pretty fast, than second lap was five minutes faster and the third was the same as the first lap, and it got pretty lonely for the last 15 miles. I was riding really well for me, and that what it was all about, its all about me and having a good race. Finish the bike portion in 3:08 min 7 minutes faster than I predicted.

Nothing other than push my bike harder knowing that it would'nt make a difference on the run. Had a lot still in me even at that distance. Thanks "Kristin" there would have been no way I could have done this race with her..
Transition 2
  • 05m 17s
Comments:

After racking my bike I change over from bike to run a little slower than I had hope, but then again I wanted to make sure I had ever thing. I hate running. Ran in/out of T2, which is something I never done before. 1:40 faster which puts me at

Have T2 setup and more organized, either way I didnt want to leave anything behind.
Run
  • 3h 13m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

OMG i hate running. I was 2min ahead of my predicted time and I was going to need all the time in the world to get under 7hrs. Legs felt great, so I thought, after running the first 1/2 they were toast, this was going to be a long run. Saw Chilie at the Art Center with his dog, we fisted and it gave me a bust to run another mile or so. At one of the aide stations I grab double expresso gu spit it out back onto the table. It was pretty nasty, but thats what they get, when I ask for plain gu and you give me double expresso gu Ill give it right back. I laugh and went on my way. I carried a frozen water bottle to help keep my cool and dump water on my body at every station. Held ice as long as I could thanks Torbjorn Sindballe for the tip. Dumpomg water all over myself was the best way to stay cool. A lot of people still passed me but now I was in crisis mode. Run/walk run/walk the rest of the course. Mile 6 my foot started and decided to take a shower at the Art center. Got really lonely on the second lap and by mile 8 I started to feel my hamstring tighten. Had gu and water every other station and gateriade on the opposite. All in all I felt pretty good. Mentally I was looking alert and smiling when getting past, which happens a lot, thought about taking a short cut by swimming across the lake, but thought better of it. Ran the last two mile at 13 min pace and was able to finish strongish. Wanted to run 13 minute miles, but hey I have never ran over 8 min in my life so I will not complain with the distance and or time. I am very happy with the whole race.

Run faster, this year will focus on the run and get faster.. 11 min mile is my goal..
Post race
Warm down:

Slip-n-slip at the finish, thought I was going to go into hell cramp mode but didnt. Walk around at the empty transition and drank my recovery drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running. I didnt eat at all on this course. Just stuck to my infinit drink and the few gus on the bike and run, wasnt hungry until mole 9 on the run but it didnt effect my running time at all.

Event comments:

For my First HIM is was the best race I have ever race, what a great time to peak. And the Slip-n-slide finsh was the best.. Training with ESKTC and to of my other friends really help out alot. I wont do another HIM unless I can run 10 mile which wont happen. I will stick to Olympic distances from here on out. Even thought I didnt reach my gaol of 7 hrs I was very pleased on how I did and how I felt.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:40 | 1931 meters | 02m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 36/37
Overall: 434/490
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Blueseventy
Course: The 1.2 mile (2000 meter) and 0.6 mile (1000 meter) swim will be an open water swim in Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:14 | 52.6 miles | 16.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/37
Overall: 440/490
Burned 4133 calories
Wind:
Course: 3 Loop Course for the Half Crazy Crazy U-turns all over the place..
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:13:05 | 13.1 miles | 14m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/37
Overall: 469/490
Performance: Average
Burned 1917 calories
Course: The Run course is on the pavement 60% of the race and on dirt 40% of the race. It is a very nice, flat, well supported run around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-27 3:20 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Subject: Soma Half Iron Triathlon

2008-10-27 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1768447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Soma Half Iron Triathlon
Congratulations on your first half ironman! Sounds like you had a solid race and having a great swim in a long race is an accomplishment. Awesome job!
2008-10-27 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Congrats Milton!!!  Great race!  That picture of you sitting at the end of the slip n' slide made me laugh!  So happy that you completed the 70.3...awesome!
2008-10-27 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great pictures- I love the one of you sitting in the muddy water!

Awesome job out there. I felt the same way after the swim! Its great to hear that you had an great swim too!

Well done!  

2008-10-27 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
One Half doen one to go unless you up the distance!    Great job, next year join us for lunch at packet pick-up!
2008-10-27 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1768539

New user

Your pic of you in the water cracks me up. You miss your time by ">>>>>>" that much. Great race..

2008-10-27 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Great job Milton! Awesome on the swim and bike and way to get through a tough run. Glad you met all your goals and finished strong! I bet you get to those 10 min miles sooner than later!
2008-10-27 4:54 PM

Pro
AZ
You did awesome Milton!! And what great pictures! That one of you sitting in the Slip n Slide is classic!!!  Way to gut it out and get that HIM under your belt!
2008-10-28 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Milton, I think you are the only one I missed seeing. I thought about you all day. Congrats on completing your first 70.3
2008-10-28 2:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ

Awesome race Milton!  I was really glad to see you out on the run course!

I can't believe you did that on such little sleep and decided to add a little pre-race a.m. bike ride for good measure.

Congratulations!

2008-10-28 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job, Milton!  It was great to see you out there.  I was also tempted to take that shortcut across the lake on the run (but that would have involved more swimming, which is BAD for me).  You had a fantastic day - congratulations on your first 70.3!!!

2008-10-28 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ

Congratulations! And what a fast bike split in a HIM! Great performance!
2008-10-29 8:58 AM

User image

Elite
the desert
Congrats on the 70.3 finish!  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed