United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 31m 3s
Overall Rank = 67/255
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/47
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:30, drank a generic ensure with a red bull and some oatmeal mixed with banana. Once I got to the T1 site, I bought a cup of coffee and went back and sat in the car for a few more minutes
Event warmup:

does shivering count as warm up?
Swim
  • 32m 15s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

overall a good swim. Time includes getting out of the water, having the strippers take off the suit and running 75 yds or so to the timing mat. Got a little off course to the last 1/3 of the course. Goggles kept leaking, but just ignored the salt water. Kept an easy, long smooth stroke the entire swim, so that was good.
This was my first time with wet suit strippers. The one who helped me was probably my mother's age. She helped me get the sleeves off then told me to get the suit over my hips, sit on the bench and hold the back of the bench really tight. Man, she wasn't kidding. She about pulled me off the bench. I was laughing as I thanked her and ran on down the dock. There was an emt with a stretcher handing out space blankets. I asked her if I could sit on the stretcher and she push me to T1. She laughed and declined. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask :)
What would you do differently?:

Swim a more direct line the last 1/3 of the course. Went too far left.
Transition 1
  • 06m 6s
Comments:

longest transition time ever. Feet were so numb, it was difficult to run on the asphalt. Threw the wetsuit on the rack, ran back to the port a john. Came back to the rack and spoke briefly with kpinto. Discovered that it is difficult to get a long sleeve shirt on when you're wet. Ditto gloves. Obviously kpinto had this figured out because he was gone by the time I got the bike off the rack.

figure out how to dry off qicker :)
Bike
  • 2h 58m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was best characterized by the internal soundtrack. Those who read my blog will know I sometimes refer to my internal ipod. Well, coming out of T1, there was a series of signs cheering someone named Katie. "Go Katie" Well, I couldn't get the McDonalds' coffee commercial out of my head (Go Katie, Go Katie) So that stuck with me for a while. Then shortly after turning on to Hwy 421, a pack of drafters (5 of them) went by. Immediately the song "Love Train" got stuck in my head. Ok, that's better than the McDonalds' commercial, but still, "Love Train"? That eventually faded until another group came by and the "Love Train" was back in the station. That stayed there until the second aid station on the way back into town (Tailgating theme) They were playing the song that has the phrase "I've got the power!" So that was stuck for a while. Better than the "Love Train".
Overall a good ride for me. As you can see, I am weakest on the bike. The goal was to try and make 3 hours but not tax the legs. Goal achieved.
Going in I was worried I wouldn't drink enough on the bike since it was so cool. After the race I had about 1/3 to a 1/2 of my second bottle left. So I drank 1.5 bottles and ate a cliff bar. Seems to have been just about right.
Saw tzmitch exercising his extreme power directing traffic at the intersection of 74 and 421 just before the end of the ride. He didn't have a beer for me :(

Nothing as of Saturday. In the off season, get the bike legs stronger so I can knock 10 minutes off that and still have the run I had.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

first time I have had volunteers take my bike and helmet. made it a little quicker. time includes going to the port a john prior to starting the run.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 51m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Best run I have ever had in a 1/2 iron distance race. And there is room for improvement. Was doing really well keeping the feet moving with good form for the first 5 miles or so. Spun up the first bridge out of transition and caught hell (in a fun way) from a fellow competitor for breaking the speed limit. Went down the other side, passed tzmitch again, but still no beer. Spun up the second bridge and down into town. Finally caught kpinto right after mile 3. He had a great, strong race. He had to walk a little bit and I told him to come chase me down. He came pretty close, but not quite.
About halfway I was on pace to be below 1:45 for the run. The wheels never really came off, but I was slowing down. I got passed by five people, one of whom I passed back later when he had to start walking. Three of those people passed me with less than 4 miles to go. Two of those three passed me on the last bridge when I had to walk for about 20 yards due to the left hamstring cramping. That started on the way onto the bridge. Then on the way down, something about the grade caused the leg to loosen back up, but not enough to get back to the original pace.
The last 4 miles was in the sun, with little shade, once you left the park. Started getting a little drained. Kept drinking some coke every other aid station and thanking all the volunteers. Didn't have a kick for the last mile due to the cramping.

Maybe eat some grapes or something that they had at the aid stations. Overall a really good run for me. Interestingly the difference between my run and the fastest run in the age group was 1:22. That's acheivable. Cutting that 1:22 would also have moved me up to 9th in my age group. The two guys in front of me at the finish were the two guys that passed me on the bridge. Both in my age group. That will be the incentive for the off season.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around transition. sat in the shade waiting for a massage. kpinto found me and we sat down and talked. As I said before, he had a strong race, vastly improving over his last 1/2 time. Love2Tri sat and talked with me while I got my massage. She rocked the course in her first 1/2 getting first in the masters women category! Saw Jessica as I waited in line for the water taxi. She broke 6 hours in her first 1/2.
Tried to drink a beer, but light headedness set in, so I had to sit down again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness/strength. Everything else worked out as planned. Missed the overall goal by 1:03, so I can't complain. Improved my best 1/2 time by almost 21 minutes over White Lake back in May.

Event comments:

The only glitch to this race was the water taxi. I spent more time in line for it than it took to run the 13.1 miles. Other than that, I can't say anything negative about this race. The volunteers were outstanding. There were so many teenagers on the run course on their saturday and they were all cheering loudly for us. They had beer available afterwards. In my family that alone is a reason to run the race again :)
Overall I would recomend this race. Will be signing up for next year on 12/1/2008 when sign up starts.

Last updated: 2008-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:15 | 2078 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/47
Overall: 115/255
Performance: Good
Suit: 2xu full
Course: point to point swim with a long leg down Wrightsville Beach before turning to the left toward SeaPath marina. The latter half of the swim is the Wilmington Sprint swim course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:58:23 | 56 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/47
Overall: 144/255
Wind: Some
Course: point to point ride which was mostly an out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:51:39 | 13.1 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/47
Overall: 42/255
Course: one loop essentiall flat except for the three bridges. Two are in the first 3 miles. The other one is in the last 1.5 miles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-02 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: Beach to Battleship HIM

2008-11-02 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1781846

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship HIM
Great race report and super run split! I loved your internal ipod on the bike. At Lake Logan 2007 the guys your age started behind my wave. So lots of dudes passed me and I started singing Aerosmith's 'Dude Looks like a lady' in my head...haha! Maybe neoprene booties make sense for this race, since both you can Keith talked about freezing cold feet.

What a super end to your season!
2008-11-02 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Good race with a SUPER run!!!  Nice job on the race and the report....
2008-11-02 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

Love the race report as well as the race.  I couldn't get a song into my head until I passed the Tailgating  Water Stop.

I couldn't believe how fast you cruised by me on the run.  You were so strong at that point.

Glad to finally get to sit and chat with you at the end.

2008-11-03 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Great job dude! It sounds like a great race!
2008-11-03 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

I am deeply offended, spot.  You cut me to the quick.

I most certainly DID have a beer for you.  Twelve of them, in fact, and they were on ice in the cooler in my car.  (I'm not kidding.)  You just didn't stop.  I was so sad.  So sad, and I cried a little bit, then drank one of the beers.  (I'm not kidding about that either.  Well, maybe I didn't cry, but I did have a beer as soon as I was done and stood on the run course cheering folks starting their second lap. I felt a little guilty, but only a little.)

Good job out there!

2008-11-03 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job, hate that I missed you the rest of the weekend. You are planning on signing up for the full next year. RIGHT!!
2008-11-03 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte

Great race!  You can definitely shave 1:22 off that run next year!

Coming out of T2 tzmitch yelled "spot's 2-3 minutes ahead -- go catch him".  I just laughed and said "that'll be the day!" b/c I knew you were long gone!  And you were!

2008-11-03 7:01 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

great race and a great run to finish it!

2008-11-03 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
"Love Train" - Ha! I think I saw those folks!

Nice looking day all the way around! Congrats..
2008-11-21 6:19 PM

New user

Hey Spot,

Great race man.  Sorry I did not get a chance to meet you this year.  Tripastor is a great friend of mine.  He told me about you.  Hope to meet you in person in 2009.  Enjoy the off season and some well deserved R&R.  See ya round!

Throgman

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach to Battleship HIM Rss Feed