General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-03-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2019857

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread
Is Anyone going to go with a sleeveless wetsuit?  I have a full, but it is so much more comfortable to use the sleeveless.  Just wondering.

2009-03-16 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2019857

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

ojie - 2009-03-15 10:36 PM Hi! I just wanted to ask what strategy you guys normally follow on the bike for oceanside for those who have done it before? I noticed there are 3 climbs on the profile. How steep are these climbs? Thank you. Much appreciated.

I'm not sure of the actual grade of these climbs, but you've got a couple hills of pretty good climbing, though they are not excessively long -- maybe a few minutes max for each hill depending on your speed.  If you do lots of climbing in your regular riding, these hills shouldn't pose any trouble to you.  If you only ride on the flats, then I'd suggest getting some climbing in before the race.  From what I could see, most people tended to back off a little on the climbs rather than hammering them, but maybe that's all they could do, don't know.

The only climb that I found really annoying was on the way out beyond the jaunt down the beach area where they apparently established a no-pass zone on a narrower hill.  Man, I could have walked my bike up that hill faster than some people were riding.  I didn't realize this was a no pass zone and was blowing by people when somebody told me I was in a no-pass zone.  They need to figure out a better way of dealing with that section.

2009-03-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2021314

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
SevenZulu - 2009-03-16 1:42 PM

ojie - 2009-03-15 10:36 PM Hi! I just wanted to ask what strategy you guys normally follow on the bike for oceanside for those who have done it before? I noticed there are 3 climbs on the profile. How steep are these climbs? Thank you. Much appreciated.

I'm not sure of the actual grade of these climbs, but you've got a couple hills of pretty good climbing, though they are not excessively long -- maybe a few minutes max for each hill depending on your speed.  If you do lots of climbing in your regular riding, these hills shouldn't pose any trouble to you.  If you only ride on the flats, then I'd suggest getting some climbing in before the race.  From what I could see, most people tended to back off a little on the climbs rather than hammering them, but maybe that's all they could do, don't know.

The only climb that I found really annoying was on the way out beyond the jaunt down the beach area where they apparently established a no-pass zone on a narrower hill.  Man, I could have walked my bike up that hill faster than some people were riding.  I didn't realize this was a no pass zone and was blowing by people when somebody told me I was in a no-pass zone.  They need to figure out a better way of dealing with that section.

I will chime in too. Besides the rolling hills and the quick up to get out of the harbor, there are about 3 significant hills. I don't know the grade either but if I remember correctly the worst one is first and you see it coming as you approach. I am a back-of-the-packer and there were a ton of people walking the hill when I got there. I just went in my granny gear and paced myself up it. Hopefully there will be some marines at the top cheering with a cowbell again!

I also screwed up in the no passing zone. I remember being told about it but didn't know when I was actually in it and trying to pass someone. It is a short very narrow area with spectators.

Good Luck everyone!!!
2009-03-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2020862

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Pac10er2 - 2009-03-16 10:48 AM

Is Anyone going to go with a sleeveless wetsuit?  I have a full, but it is so much more comfortable to use the sleeveless.  Just wondering.

I am wearing a full one but can totally relate about the comfort factor! Last year a woman starting in my wave was without a wetsuit so I guess you can do whatever you like. She said she swam in the San Francisco Bay for training. Burr!
2009-03-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1798368

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

I know that I havn't trained on the hills much if any this year, so those hills will probably get me again. Two years ago, I walked all 3 of them. Last year, I think I only walked one of them. So make sure you train on them, they can be a challenge.

I was probably one of those you saw walking up, but I still had fun overall, and a great race to be part off.

Water should be around 58-60'F this year, unless some cold upwelling system shows up out of no where. Two years ago, water was 50'F, and I will remember that year. 2007. Ouch!

Good luck all, and see you all on the course, and at the finish line.

2009-03-17 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2022691

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

wyndswept - 2009-03-17 7:38 AM
Pac10er2 - 2009-03-16 10:48 AM Is Anyone going to go with a sleeveless wetsuit?  I have a full, but it is so much more comfortable to use the sleeveless.  Just wondering.
I am wearing a full one but can totally relate about the comfort factor! Last year a woman starting in my wave was without a wetsuit so I guess you can do whatever you like. She said she swam in the San Francisco Bay for training. Burr!

I definitively wearing a full suit. She's probably an open water Masters swimmer. No matter how cold the water is, it is illegal to compete with swim suits (I meant wet suits).

2009-03-17 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2022700

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
devouahy - 2009-03-17 7:43 AM

Pac10er2 - 2009-03-16 10:48 AM Is Anyone going to go with a sleeveless wetsuit?  I have a full, but it is so much more comfortable to use the sleeveless.  Just wondering.

I definitively wearing a full suit. She's probably an open water Masters swimmer. No matter how cold the water is, it is illegal to compete with swim suits (I meant wet suits).

That is crazy, but I guess some people think we are crazy for doing triathlons.  There are all sorts of levels of crazy, and swimming in San Francisco Bay without a wetsuit officially crosses my line.  Wow, good luck to you if that's your idea of fun!  Anyway, we should be in luck with the water temp, it doesn't look to be down at 50 on race day. 

This is my first time, so I can't comment on the hills.  I drive through that area from time to time, and they don't look easy to me.  If they are too steep I may walk, not like I'm going to qualify for Kona or anything. 

Maybe if they let me compete in the 85+ division, I might have a chance.  But since I'm only 32, I am not booking my flight just yet.

We are really getting down to the wire now, this is my last weekend of hard training.  I am nervous as this is my first HIM distance but I know I have done the work. 

Hope to see all of you there, even though we probably won't recognize each other.  Good luck on the last few weeks of training.

2009-03-17 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2023083

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Pac10er2 - 2009-03-17 9:38 AM
devouahy - 2009-03-17 7:43 AM

That is crazy, but I guess some people think we are crazy for doing triathlons.  There are all sorts of levels of crazy, and swimming in San Francisco Bay without a wetsuit officially crosses my line.  Wow, good luck to you if that's your idea of fun!  Anyway, we should be in luck with the water temp, it doesn't look to be down at 50 on race day. 

This is my first time, so I can't comment on the hills.  I drive through that area from time to time, and they don't look easy to me.  If they are too steep I may walk, not like I'm going to qualify for Kona or anything. 

Maybe if they let me compete in the 85+ division, I might have a chance.  But since I'm only 32, I am not booking my flight just yet.

We are really getting down to the wire now, this is my last weekend of hard training.  I am nervous as this is my first HIM distance but I know I have done the work. 

Hope to see all of you there, even though we probably won't recognize each other.  Good luck on the last few weeks of training.

Good luck to you too bud!! I'll be on a white Kestrel Talon dated about a decade old.

What's everyone else riding? Anyone else doing the Challenged Athletes fund raiser? If not, please don't hesitate to stop by my link and please help me with donations. Seems they are hard to come this year.

See you all there! Anyone knows anything about a lunch on Friday? Any details?

2009-03-17 1:14 PM

User image

The hills   First is steepest but shortest.  You can see the top from the bottom.  Second is less steep but a little longer than the first.  Third is less steep and a little longer than the second.

Get in the granny and spin up them if you can.  I came out of the saddle a couple times, but don't kill yourself.  you've still got the headwind to deal with in the last 10 miles

Didn't see too many walkers, but did see one guy break his chain near the top

2009-03-17 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Hey Hans

I'm racing for CAF again this year too, this year has been tough but I know I'll see you at the lunch!
I am on a BMC bike this year, it was my Christmas present, and I am hoping to set a PR, I was also one of the people who walked part of the way, but finished !
2009-03-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2023513

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

kenb - 2009-03-17 12:19 PM Hey Hans I'm racing for CAF again this year too, this year has been tough but I know I'll see you at the lunch! I am on a BMC bike this year, it was my Christmas present, and I am hoping to set a PR, I was also one of the people who walked part of the way, but finished !

Congrats on that new bike! I'm sure you will PR with that new bike.

I'm hopping to be there, but all I've got so far is less than $300.00 for CAF. All the people who donated last year couldn't give this year. It really sucks. So may have to see you at the race and/or around. So far, looking really bad for CAF luncheon for me.

Good luck, and have fun!

2009-03-17 4:18 PM

New user

This is my first half IM and really looking forward to it.  Actually I have a lot of anxiety but I'm in the "just bring it" mode.  I'm riding an older Red Kestrel Airfoil.  I broke the rear derailer cable stop so it's being held on by a couple zip ties.  Say hi if you see someone with a similar bike on the side of the road messing with new zip ties. 

2009-03-17 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

18 days to go gentlemen....I'm stoked!

I rode the ~5000 vertical ft of Palomar last Saturday and was quite pleased with my completion time/effort, so I'm mentally prepared for the climbs at Pendleton after ascending that beast.  Driving back from Palomar past Pendleton those hills suddenly looked far less formidable than they had just 3.5 hours earlier on my way out to Palomar.

I've been doing OWS all winter at Hermosa Beach (~70 miles North of Oceanside) and the temps have been very comfortable with a full suit on.  Last Sunday the water was almost 60F and quite comfortable after about two minutes, including my bald skull with only a TYR thermal cap on it.

I'll be on an '08 P3C w/ 808s and a rear cover.  See y'all at the line (start and finish).  Good luck!

-John

2009-03-17 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2023963

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
TheWolf - 2009-03-17 2:24 PM

I rode the ~5000 vertical ft of Palomar last Saturday and was quite pleased with my completion time/effort, so I'm mentally prepared for the climbs at Pendleton after ascending that beast.  Driving back from Palomar past Pendleton those hills suddenly looked far less formidable than they had just 3.5 hours earlier on my way out to Palomar.

I've been doing OWS all winter at Hermosa Beach (~70 miles North of Oceanside) and the temps have been very comfortable with a full suit on.  Last Sunday the water was almost 60F and quite comfortable after about two minutes, including my bald skull with only a TYR thermal cap on it.

I'll be on an '08 P3C w/ 808s and a rear cover.  See y'all at the line (start and finish).  Good luck!

-John

That's the bike I want, but I will be using a rented Cannondale Slice.  I just got done getting fitted for the P3 but it won't arrive until after the event.  I have done all my training on my road bike so hopefully I won't crash and burn on the tri bike.

2009-03-17 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2023963

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
TheWolf - 2009-03-17 2:24 PM

-John

That's the way to train ... well done. I'm looking forward to one more "long" ride with some good climbing this weekend. Only 18 more days ... wow ... time is ticking by.

2009-03-17 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2023356

New user

Thanks for all who replied. Good to give me an idea what to look for since this will be my first HIM. Looking forward to it. See you guys on April 4.

2009-03-17 11:51 PM
in reply to: #2024218

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

I wouldn't sweat the bike too bad - its been said a thousand times - "it ain't the bike, its the engine".  Its true.  Don't get me wrong, the "bling" factor of piloting a late model aero-carbon frame w/ deep aero wheels is great personal motivation, but if you've got the base, you'll pull a good split no matter what you ride, so long as the basic geometry is right.  If you've been riding roadie geometry with road bar + clip ons and the Slice will be outfitted w/ aerobars I'd be a little more leery - you might end up with a lot of shoulder/neck strain (and possibly some hip discomfort from the change in hip angle) unless you've been riding steep and aero all along.  Something to consider at least.  Hopefully you're getting the rental far enough in advance that you can at least do a little test ride and make final adjustments to the fit before the race. 

Ride it like you stole it....and good luck!

-John

2009-03-18 4:18 PM

User image

Modesto, California
What are the descents like, are there switchbacks or bad roads so you can't get speed?  I'll be happy to pay my dues to the hills if I can fly down the other side!
2009-03-18 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2026251

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

http://www.ironmancalifornia.com/bike.html

No switchbacks - just straight climbs. 

Road surface varies from very rough, to excellent. 

-John

2009-03-18 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2026251

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

There's one good descent on the backside of a climb where speed is restricted to 25mph for safety, and there will be a radar setup with speed displayed to keep you honest.

I'm now questionable for this race.  Training was going very well and everything looked good, then I got the lousy virus that my wife and kids have all been battling for 2+ weeks.  I'm five days into this thing, and I'm getting worse, not better.  So my last training is hampered, and I'm really run down.  No point in doing this race if I'm not going to be firing on all cylinders.  If I get better in the next couple of days, maybe I can still salvage it.

2009-03-18 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2026675

User image

SevenZulu - 2009-03-18 6:10 PM

There's one good descent on the backside of a climb where speed is restricted to 25mph for safety, and there will be a radar setup with speed displayed to keep you honest.

I'm now questionable for this race.  Training was going very well and everything looked good, then I got the lousy virus that my wife and kids have all been battling for 2+ weeks.  I'm five days into this thing, and I'm getting worse, not better.  So my last training is hampered, and I'm really run down.  No point in doing this race if I'm not going to be firing on all cylinders.  If I get better in the next couple of days, maybe I can still salvage it.

On point one, I think that descent is also a no pass zone IIRC.  With people on the course watching, so just be careful.  I *think* it's after the 2d or 3d hill, definitely not the first....  I don't think......

On point two, bummer about your sickness, but this from someone who did it last year, what 3 weeks post shoulder surgery or something???     Feel better, hope you get to race it.  Just getting off a sickness myself

2009-03-20 11:14 AM

User image

Modesto, California

1.Do you need to bring timing chip strap?

2.How crowded do bike course porta potties get , just in case?

2009-03-20 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2030191

User image

nevergivin - 2009-03-20 9:14 AM

1.Do you need to bring timing chip strap?

2.How crowded do bike course porta potties get , just in case?

No, they supply it

Not very, as I recall, but I wasn't stopping to use them.  THere are also a number of public toilets on the front side of the course as you ride thru the campground

2009-03-25 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Oh my Lord!! Can't believe that the race is next weekend!!

I know I'm nervous as heck, and just will do as best as I can. I gues I will be racing in my age group this year due to lack of people donating for the CAF fundraiser I've been doing. Hard year to have people donating.

So on the good side, I still have not seen a BT get together on Friday for lunch. Anyone with suggestions?

2009-03-25 9:18 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I'm open for getting together on Friday.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10