United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 04m 47s
Overall Rank = 455/2190
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 90/369
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3 am and had a small bowl of cereal and 2 Ensures right off the bat. Had another at 4 and one more at 5. Drove out to the start area and went over my bike about 20 times, calibrated the SRM 3 times, and loaded up my nutrition. 1 bottle of water, 2 bottles of 290 cal Infinit, and 5 Hammer gels taped to the top tube.
Event warmup:

None, unless you count the couple of hundred yards swimming to the start and treading water for 5-10 minutes.
Swim
  • 1h 27m 11s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I knew I made a bad wetsuit decision immediately after getting in the water. I was torn between the full suit and the sleeveless. Swam in the 2-piece the day before and felt fine (but that was only for 15mins or so). I was absolutely freezing waiting to start. Saw DickDime and chatted for a bit treading water. We were both surprised when the gun went off. The start was pretty chaotic and for the first 500 meters or so I was climbing all over a bunch of people (and getting swam over as well). Note to prospective IM'ers out there. Do not stop swimming. I ran into quite a few people that just stopped. I don't know if it was to regain composure or what. But I know I nailed some people in the head. I got to the turn around really quick and was surprised at how fast I got out of the washing machine. At this point I started feeling really bad. It sounds strange, but it felt like my ears were clogged and I started getting dizzy. I swam over to a kayak and grabbed a hold of it and started puking. I must have barfed 3 or 4 times. After that I just hung on to the kayak for a long time. I'm not sure how long it was, but I started getting really cold. I knew I needed to get moving so I started swimming again and the return trip went fine. I grabbed the rail and made my way up the steps and fell down (the dizzyness was not giving up w/o a fight). A volunteer grabbed me and next thing I knew I was in the med tent. I was in there for a long time.
What would you do differently?:

I have no idea what really happened. I can only think that maybe I took in a lot of water during the start. I couldn't really get a decent breath on either side.
Transition 1
  • 18m 31s
Comments:

This portion mainly takes place in the med tent. They put me on a cot and I was shivering beyond belief. It was borderline convulsing. So I'm sitting there laying down and telling the attendant I'll be fine once I get on the bike. He says to me "Just lay there. You got about an hour till you're DQ'ed". That's when I thought Ok I gotta get outta here and start racing. So I convinced the guy I was alright and he says alright go ahead. I get to the transition tent and see my friend Brett(Alpine87) in there, but I'm still somewhat delirious. At this point I'm thinking ok it's time to forget about Kona. Let's start thinking about damage control.

Anything and everything.
Bike
  • 5h 16m 38s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half lap (18 or so miles) I just focused on getting my head straight. I knew I had to dial back my preplanned wattage so I was doing about 15-20 watts lower than I had originally planned. I was drinking a lot and took into 2 gels and those seem to stay down just fine. So then I resumed my planned nutrition intake, which was to take in close to 400 calories an hour. I started feeling pretty good going into the second lap, so I pushed it a little bit harder and kept drinking. That bit me in the butt, cuz I had to stop a total of 3 times to pee. I tried peeing on the bike, but it just wasn't happening. However I plan to learn this clever little maneuver before my next Ironman. The last lap I was feeling great and was ready for the marathon.

Each lap I did was progressively faster than the previous, so I'm happy with that. I felt great coming off the bike so I probably should have went back to my originally planned power output. However I wasn't sure what kind of toll my calorie expenditure in the lake would take on the day. So I feel good with playing it safe.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

T2 went fine for me. I was amped! I knew I would finish the day as an Ironman and it's amazing what that can do for your spirit. The guy in the transition tent asked me how I felt and I told him I was great.

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 00m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

First 6 miles were great. I was ready to run a marathon. In this excitement I failed to take in any calories. Then I hit a bad patch. I was thinking "Man I got a long ways to go". The rest of the run was more or less shifting between feeling really good and feeling really bad. I started craving garbage at mile 18. All I could think about was pizza and french fries. My last lap was pretty dang slow. Every aid station I went through was all out of pizza and fries so I settled on powerbars, fruit and everything else they had on offer. That was pretty much the story for the entire last lap.

Take in the gels I had with me early. I started taking them way too late and it effected me pretty bad.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my wife and father and sat down and ate pizza and fries.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No excuses!!! I did what I could and am satisfied with what I did.

Event comments:

IMAZ was an amazing experience. Despite everything that happened I'm glad to say I am an Ironman. Things could have gotten really bad for me, but I always planned to a have a "Plan B" and a "Plan C". My first goal was always to just finish the race and gain some insight for the next one. Yes I had hoped of going to Kona and I feel I put the training time and effort in to get there. Am I disappointed in being way out of the slots? Not really. I know I have what it takes to get there eventually. I have the patience and determination. I may or may not do this distance in '09 but I will definitely go for another Kona bid in 2010. I took 5 days off of all training and anything Tri related after the race. Hence the week it's taken to finally getting around to doing this race report. I feel good now. A little tight but no soreness. I'm reinvigorated and ready to start training again. PR's will fall '09.

Last updated: 2007-12-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:27:11 | 3862 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 303/369
Overall: 1741/2190
Performance: Bad
Suit: DeSoto Sleeveless 2-piece speed
Course: Long rectangle in a narrow old river bed. 1 loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 18:31
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:16:38 | 112 miles | 21.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/369
Overall: 250/2190
Performance: Average
Average HR: 146
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops. Through town, a couple turns, then onto the beeline which is pretty straight. then back. Only a bit of a hill on the way out for a couple miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:00:01 | 26.2 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 77/369
Overall: 360/2190
Performance: Below average
Average HR: 143
Course: Kind of a lollipop around Tempe Town lake 3 times. Mostly flat with one hill in the middle, not big, and then some ups and down in a few places.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-30 6:16 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2008-11-30 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1831261

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Great job Dave! Glad to hear you made back before they were out of pizza...LOL!

You're a true inspiration! I can't wait to do IMCDL 2010 with you!!!
2008-11-30 11:18 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Indeed, Mr. Ironman, I have no doubt that PR's will be heading your way and a future Kona spot is a sure thing too. You had an amazing season, your dedication and training consistency was probably better than ANYONE's on BT. I think you have scary potential and I'm glad that you are happy with the outcome of your first IM experience. Hell, considering the alternative, I'd say your day was just perfect. You are a tough competitor and a great friend. I'm proud of you!
2008-11-30 11:31 PM

User image

Man, way to come off what could have been a disaster and turn it around.  I had a similar swim in April but I couldn't finish, I know how you were feeling in the water.  

Great report

2008-11-30 11:35 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Glad you got your pizza and fries!!!  Way to have the various fall back plans, I bet many people would love to have your bad day for their very best day. 

Hope it was a good Thanksgiving and rock through 2009

2008-12-01 10:48 AM

User image

Parker, CO
Good to meet you and Meg. Way to hang in there. And I, without a doubt, know that you will be toeing the line in Kona. I'll bet my paycheck on it. and i'm broke Dave, so do what you gotta do!!

2008-12-01 2:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Just incredible to pull off the race you had, with the start you had.  That goes to show your training was stellar!  No doubts in my mind you will qualify.  Hell I thought you were ahead of me all day until I saw Meg on the run course and she said you were way back.  I knew then you had some troubles.  I also thought about you on the swim.  When I was freezing my off with a full suit I was wondering how you were going to do that swim with a sleeveless!  You ahd a great day and you should be proud of your day!
2008-12-01 2:20 PM

Veteran
Bend, OR
Man...that must have been scary in the water. It can't be easy puking into water that close to your face...like a giant toilet. Good job though! Still pulled off a great time.
2008-12-01 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
sorry to hear about the bad start but glad things turned around. dizziness is rough and its not easy to rebound from. as for peeing, its definitely an art form that takes practice. i never realized how much i peed until i did it on a bike. i pissed twice on the bike at AZ and i think one of my trivents is ruined from it. as for your run it was like de ja vu. once i hit the 3rd lap the first time i raced AZ it was buffet all day at each aid station. i ate things i never eat just b/c they put it in my face at a time that i was starving. one thing i told myself the second time around was no matter what dont pig out in the aid stations. glad you got so much more out of the race than just another finish. you got what it takes to punch a ticket to kona and with this learning experience you will be primed for your next IM. maybe we will meet again in 2010 at another IM. take care and keep in touch. -todde
2008-12-05 1:47 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
wow, shaky start, but nice finish!  I laughed at the comment about you thinking "I gotta get out of here" in the med tent!  A true triathlete   Congratulations!
2008-12-05 3:27 PM

User image

I think your nauseau and vomiting was from taking in 4 ensures.  Click on this link, http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/7708/2 ,scroll to the bottom, and see how many dozens of minerals, vitamins, fatty acids, carbs, sodium, etc... you took in -- and then times it all by four!  Not to mention it may have really ran through your system quickly on an empty stomach and with your Race Morning adrenaline.  Good thing you vomited as it probably got a lot of it out of your system.  I overdosed on sodium during a HIM -- not fun.  I was very close to the med tent myself.

Way to regroup and still pull out a great bike and run and overall good time. 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-12-05 3:28 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed