United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 32s
Overall Rank = 27/134
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

This one was unusual, since it was an afternoon race. I got up early and had a huge breakfast with a friend and we went out to watch a MTN bike race. That sort of got me jazzed up. Then relaxed at home for a while before driving to the race. Took my time setting up transition and talking to friends. Got familiar with the course.

I was just REALLY relaxed. Made sure to drink a LOT to be well hydrated. I was planning to not drink much on the course.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundered yards in the lake to get loose.

Side note, I will call this report the "Search for 7.5 seconds". You will see why later.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 560 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well, I just hammered it. Navigation went well and I think I was pretty fast. Didn't draft, though - too short of a swim to really find someone. It didn't seem worthwhile since I spent most of the time passing people.

The only issue was that they only had two ladders at the dock to get racers out. So there was a long que to get out of the water. It was tough for people to get out, especially some of the women because peoples arms were tired, and the ladders were really crappy with no good hand holds. It was TOUGH to get out. I had to wait for about 3 people. I could imagine the wait when the bulk of the swimmers got there.

I was patiently waiting in line when some guy tried to cut in front of me. NO WAY I was having that! I quickly stuck my left arm out and grabbed the left side of the ladder to block him. Gave him a bit of a nasty look too. If you could have been lucky and get there with no line, it could have helped. I'm sure I waited in line for 30-60 seconds, easy. There is one place I lost more than 7.5 seconds.

Looking at my overall placement, it looks like I could work on my swim. That sort of surprises me, since that's my best discipline. I was good for my AG, though.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe find someone to draft. But it was such a short swim, I thought it better to just haul arse.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Long run to transition and some of the pavement was VERY slick. I had to shuffle to keep from falling. They warned us about it, and I still almost bit it a couple times. Too dangerous, IMO. they should put carpet down next time if they do it the same way.

I KNOW I lost time in transition. It would have been good for an Oly or longer, but I lost too much time with the suit for a sprint. I think the transitions is the most likely culpret for me losing 7.5 seconds. It was something COMPLETELY in my control, and I blew it.

I was still 24 out of 134 in T1, so still pretty quick, but the best was 1:17. I can improve...

I might pick my bike location better to eleminate running with the bike.
Bike
  • 48m 24s
  • 14.6 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah, the bike! My goal was to HAMMER!!! And I did. My average HR was right at LT (172). I flew on the downhills, crushed the climbs, just felt strong.

Once again, my overall rank in the bike, matches my overall rank in the race.

I ran into a couple issues. I threw my chain at one time, but I was able to do some fancy gear changes to pop it back on the crank without having to stop. But I did lose some momentum.

Also, I had to brake at the bottom of a hill when a car sort of made a move to cut me off. They had traffic control, but it sort of failed at this time. I had to get on the brakes a little, which hurt my momentum going right into a climb. I didn't hit the hill as fast as I would have liked.

Also, I had a bugger of a time getting into the pedal out of T1. Don't know why. I'm sure I lost a couple second there as well.

The reason I was able to go so fast on the bike? I had confidence in my run. I KNEW (or strongly suspected) that no matter how hard I went on the bike, I would have enough to bust out a 5k. So I just let it all hang out and crushed it.

Didn't need to drink and felt good the entire time.

Work on the transition to the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Decent T2. 22nd out of 134.

Work on getting off the bike better.
Run
  • 22m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I KNEW IT!!!! I knew I would be strong off the bike at this distance...

I few guys flew out of T2 and passed me right away but I let them go. I could have tried to keep up, but decided against it. I figure one of two things was going to happen. Either they were better runners than me and I wouldn't be able to keep up, then end up wasting too much energy OR, they would crap out (sort of what I calculated).

I was right! The 3-4 guys got a couple hundred feet lead out of T2, but I had them all reeled in and soundly behind me by the turn.

I pushed hard on the run and averaged just short of my LT HR (178).

I am VERY please with my time and pace. I always figured I could push for a 21 minute open 5k. I thought I had it in me. To get it done in 22:26 after a swim and bike? I KNOW I can now.

A couple things aggrivated me. Someone passed me with about 0.2 miles to go. But I was pretty maxed out, so I have to give it to them. However, I heard some hard footsteps behind me with about 0.1 miles to go, so I kicked it up a bit. I have to admit, I had a serious side/chest stitch going on at that time.

However, someone sprinted past me and bumped me with about 50 feet to go in the finish chute. Sort of ticked me off a bit. I sort of consider him to be one of "those guys" and said 'whatever'. Great, now he is 26th instead of 27th. Big deal. Maybe he was chasing a PR, but doubtful, this course is not standard, so there is nothing to compare it to.

I guess I think if you are in the chute, just finish up unless you are shooting for an overall place or passing a fellow AGer... But this guy would rather bump into me and sprint past with 50' to go just to get one more spot...

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Drink and wait for some friends to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transitions

Event comments:

Ahhhhh. I'm happy about this one. I always thought I could compete in the long events, but didn't think I had much a chance in the shorter events. But I proved differently this race.

I was FOP in the Swim, Bike, AND run (and transitions) and it shows with my FOP performance.

Yes, I missed an AG award by 7.5 seconds (third was only that far ahead of me) and could have done better in transitions, but I learned.

Something has really 'clicked' with my racing (especially biking). I think my leg strength has perhaps caught up with my heart/lung strength. Or maybe it's just "letting go" in this short event and going balls to the wall and holding back nothing.

Just imagine if they had a Clydesdale division!!! I might have done well.

This race just makes me want to drop that last 20 stubborn pounds. I bet it was frustrating for a lot of those lean and trim triathletes to get passed by some tall and kind of chubby guy!

OK, people say I don't LOOK fat, but I'm still pushing 25% BF. Not the 10%-15% like the better athletes.

I just realized I was top 30 out of 134 in the b/r AND transitions (not so fortunate in the swim - odd). That kind of balance leads to good things.

OH YEAH!!! Forgot to mention... I was 2:06 away from first in my AG. That's within spitting distance for sure...

Last updated: 2008-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 560 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 37/134
Performance: Good
Average HR = 148
Suit: Full
Course: The website said the course was .32 miles, so I went with that. Not sure how accurate that is...
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:24 | 14.6 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 28/134
Average HR = 172
Wind: Little
Course: The website said 11 miles. but it was longer per bike computers and MapMyTri
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:26 | 03.1 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 27/134
Average HR = 178
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-30 12:45 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Showdown at Sundown

2009-03-30 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2048906

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Showdown at Sundown
Wow 27/134!!! Nice work kido!!!

As you know, I am the man, but so are you!!!
2009-03-30 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Great work, you are proving to be quite the mentor i had hoped for!!  7.5 sec's.....we will have t o work on that, lolo

Great race and great report!!

2009-03-30 1:28 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Wow!!  Well done!!  You can find 7.5 seconds...sounds like the pool swim was a big problem.
2009-03-30 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2048994

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Artemis - 2009-03-30 11:28 AM Wow!!  Well done!!  You can find 7.5 seconds...sounds like the pool swim was a big problem.

It was outside, but we needed to get out at a dock, and all they had was cheap arse ladders... 

But thanks!

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-03-30 1:46 PM
2009-03-30 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Congrats! Great job all around!

2009-03-30 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Hey, great race. Nice work. You give me hope for placing well in a sprint. Nice write up. That's a pretty good run pace for a big guy.

Again, nice job.
2009-03-30 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Great race Jim.  Glad to see you enjoying "my" little sprint events!    I really wish I had your run.  I'm still not there and honestly that has me a bit confused.  Your heavy duty volume over the past 20 months is paying off.  I hope your times keep dropping.

2009-03-31 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
INCREDIBLE race, Jim.  I know you wish you could have that 7.5 seconds, but you really hammered this race.  Really glad to hear that you're getting the bike where you want it.  Great job!!!
2009-03-31 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Great race and awesome race report!

Isn't it a great feeling to accomplish a goal and impress yourself? Nice job on the bike and run.

We were pretty spread out on the swim for the Int distance, so the ladder problem didn't happen to me. But for a sprint it makes a huge difference! I would have been pissed. A nice big military style netting (like they climb in training) would do wonders to get that volume of swimmers out of the water.

And this East Coaster definitely has changed his view on the south western states all being flat. Were there any flat straight aways? I didn't feel any. , 100 yards out of T1 there was a good hill!

Anyway, great great job!
2009-04-02 2:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

Wow, impressive.  This was my first experience at a Tri, so my goal was to overcome my anxiety/nervousness, and just finish, (not last).  The ladders at the end of the swim killed me.  Thank goodness volunteers had a helping hand to pull me up or I might still be in the water.

I think my next races will be better and better, if I don't fall off the bike in front of the cheering crowd again.

Nice race.  You give me goals to shoot for as I proceed.  Thanks

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Showdown at Sundown Rss Feed