Score-This
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m
Overall Rank = 65/319
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/25
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, drove to Dud's and picked him up. Got a DD coffee on the way.

Set up transition, but there was some drama as one of the bikes in my row belonged in another row. It was set up weird too, which caused space issues. Race officials eventually took it off the rack and moved it to the fence after it was announced a few times and no one claimed it. I ended up with a nice spot near the end of the row on the swim in/run out side.

Brought our bags etc. back to the van. I brought the EZ-UP and the BT banner, but with storms forecast I really didn't want to risk being stuck in a downpour/windstorm taking it down and making an extra trip to the van with it.

Did this race completely naked. No watch, HRM, cyclocomputer, nothing. My strategy for sprints now is to go as hard as I think I can hold and not worry about time at all. Just go.
Event warmup:

None. We got kicked out of the water as soon as we got in.
Swim
  • 15m 32s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt fine at the start. No nerves. I was using my new swim mask rather than goggles. LOVE IT! Sighting was ridiculously easy.

Started in the middle right behind the torpedoes. Made it to the first buoy no prob, a little bit of crowding but nothing too bad. Around the buoy and someone went off course and cut right across me. I thought he'd figure this out when he swam over my arms, but no, he kept going. He then kicked my mask and it filled with water. I was able to flip on my back, empty it and get it back on in about 2 seconds.

Best sighting I've ever done, that's for sure. Combine the great conditions with the swim mask and the buoys were continuously in the last place I expected them to be: right in front of me.

Didn't feel great about this swim, but I didn't feel bad about it either. It was a decent effort.

The time includes the run up the stairs and to T1 so take one to one and a half minutes off that time.
What would you do differently?:

Get into a groove sooner. The last 200 yards felt really good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

OA-106
AG-9
Getting out of the suit went fine.
Had a really hard time getting into my shoes. This cost me at least 20 seconds.

Mounting the bike and getting going was fine.

Get new tri shoes...
Bike
  • 41m 34s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

The official results have me at a 20.1mph pace. Odd.
This went better than I expected. Due to the marathon a few weeks ago my bike training has been really hit or miss. My bike fitness is just plain low. Yet, I passed a lot of people on this ride and was only passed by four. The first two who passed me was a ridiculously fast woman in the first couple miles and a guy who was obviously a very serious cyclist but not much of a swimmer.

After that, I got passed by two guys in separate incidents in the middle of the course, both of whom I was able to quickly reel back in.

Rules issue: PLEASE DON'T BLOCK! This means ride on the right side of the road. In the first few miles I came up on a guy riding in the middle of the road around 16 mph. He had no business being that far left. I yelled 'ON YOUR LEFT' a bunch of times at him, and what does he do as I'm actually about to overtake? He veers left. I'm in the bars and can't get to a brake so my choices are to either crash into him or tack left and go over the middle line. There was no oncoming traffic so I went over the line a few inches and cut over as soon as I could. When he saw me next to him, he veered back right.

So what do I then see? An official on a motorcycle passing me and writing down a number on her pad. Crap. I spent the rest of the race thinking "if this guy gets me DQ'd I'm going to be so pissed." I wasn't DQ'd. Didn't even get a penalty. There were two penalties written for blocking though, so hopefully this guy got one of them.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to comment on the truly excellent officiating at today's race. Absolutely top notch. ;)

Saw Dud near the turnaround as he was starting up the big hill. I knew I had him then. ;)

Saw lots of people on hybrids/mtn bikes etc. Yelled something encouraging to each one. They just make my day. There are some tough hills on this course and doing it on one of those bikes is studly times ten.

I almost bought it going at least 22mph when my front tire got caught in one of the gaps between the road and the shoulder. Not good. The road conditions were absolutely atrocious. None of the potholes on the course were marked. I'm surprised no one was hurt. There are potholes and failing pavement all over the place. The past few years the bad spots were marked with paint, but not this year. They should have been. For that reason alone, I'd rate this bike course as unsafe. If I was the insurance carrier, I would not be happy.

Nada.

Well, maybe catch Dud on the bike. Gotta do that in a Sprint one of these days.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

OA-136
AG-8

GRRR!! I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE ACT AS IF THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES IN A TRANSITION AREA!

I get into T2, actually run down the correct row, find my spot and it's a freaking mess. The guy with a Specialized Transition at the very end of the row was in too much of a hurry to actually rack his bike. He just dropped it on top of other peoples transition mats/towels, scattering our stuff. Unbelievable. I saw one of my shoes under the bike, so I picked the bike up and "moved" it a few feet out of the way where it wasn't on anyone's stuff and wouldn't be a hazard. My other shoe had been pushed three feet in the other direction. In this confusion I forget my number belt (didn't realize this until I was in the finish chute).

Don't know what I could have done differently. The chaos was of someone else's making. I had to deal with it and move on. Time wasn't too bad considering.
Run
  • 23m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt ok, not great, to start. I realized pretty quickly that I left my run out on the bike course.

I was just operating on passing the next person I saw in front of me until I saw Dud a couple hundred yards ahead. Then the goal was to catch and pass him. Caught him at almost exactly the 1 mile mark and then went "Crap! What now?" So I went back to passing the next person in front of me. In theory. In practice the actual strategy was "keep running, don't fall down and don't let the people in front of you get further away".

I wasn't going as fast as I wanted to and this run did hurt but I figured as long as I was there I may as well push it. I really wanted to go faster and my effort level could have gone up but it just wasn't in my legs. I had trashed them on the bike.

Still, I passed a fair number of people. My standing in my AG actually stayed exactly the same on the run, so I suppose that's enough to ask for.

Train on the bike more.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched Dud come in. Hit the buffet with Dud and Derek. It was good to see Derek, it's been a while. He looked great. It didn't feel like Keuka Lake without Bob though.

Got to meet some BTers which is always cool: cusetri, K.Stuttle

Event comments:

This is the triathlon season opener for upstate/western NY and it's at a great venue. Keuka College is beautiful, the lake is great and the food is the best you'll get at a tri. Being able to eat in the cafeteria is really nice.

Once the roads get fixed this will be a truly great race. If the roads keep deteriorating from their present condition without being fixed, I don't know that I'd do it again.

Last updated: 2009-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:32 | 820 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 120/319
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline sleeved
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:34 | 13.8 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 58/319
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:55 | 03.1 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 74/319
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 7:59 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

2009-06-07 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2200803

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon
nice RR and great race, mike!

great meeting you and dexter....the tattoo was great!

we got an awesome day, and I agree, best post race food.  ever.
2009-06-07 11:03 PM
in reply to: #2200844

User image

Master

Nice race! I was looking for the EZ-UP and the BT banner, but I now know why I couldn’t find them. I saw two people on the run in BT gear and gave tem a shout out "Go BT". I was looking after the race but I didn't stay long because I had a long drive home and was up early. Hopefully I will meet you at another race.

2009-06-08 12:48 PM

User image

Congratulations!  Great job!  I was sorry I didn't get to meet you or any other BTers!  I also almost nailed one of those gaps coming down the hill into Branchport...that's what I was most nervous about for the race!!  Luckily no wipeout!!
2009-06-08 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great job on this race, Mike!  For a tough course, you absolutely crushed it.  Just imagine if you were in bike shape!

2009-06-08 1:01 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

The masks are great.  I won't go back to goggles in an OWS.

Did you find out anything about the eedeeit from T1?  What a maroon.

2009-06-08 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
2009-06-08 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

Sorry I missed ya (and all other BT'ers), I need to own a piece of logo gear! Nice going on the race, the road was rough and I'm sure it's tough to find good conditions in rural areas.

I did use the BT water bottle I got from you at the dinner in Boston from the expo though [thanks! :]

2009-06-08 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Heck of a run you tacked on to the end there. Top 10 AG in all three disciplines suggests you're turning yourself into quite a well-rounded athlete. Congrats on a great result.

Didn't see the tent, so I suspected you got hung up at home. Not only did you make it out, you kicked butt!

Hope to catch you at Musselman.
2009-06-09 6:57 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race Mike!!! Hopefully some of the stimulus money makes it to some of the upstate highways and gets 54 fixed! (along with a few others I can think of!)

Congrats on a great finish! 6th in AG! Way to go!!!

2009-06-09 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Awesome job.  Congratulations.  It was nice meeting you briefly before the race.

2009-06-09 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY

Great job MIke.  And glad to see you didn't get penalized.  I'm glad I got to hang out with you and Dud after the race.

2009-06-09 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Funny.  I thought the Pittsford Tri was the tri season opener for Western/Upstate NY.  huh.  Wink
Your run was fast for not feeling it, and your swim must have been awesome!  I've gotta get me a swim mask I think. 
Nice Job Mike!
2009-06-09 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Nice race and some very decent times!
We heard some of the Keuka entries had bailed out from the cold water and come and done Pittsford instead.  You were clearly one of the studly ones to stay!
2009-06-10 9:01 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
I'm getting closer. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon Rss Feed