HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 24s
Overall Rank = 75/214
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/23
Pre-race routine:

We stayed in the campground during the weekend. I slept really well the night before. Better than I ever have before a race. I woke up at 5:30, and Jeremy and I drove over to the beach. We put our bikes in transition, then went back to the RV and changed and ate breakfast. We saw Kate and talked to her for a while. We spotted Lora at checking in athletes. I yelled Hi to her but she was busy and didn't hear me. I saw a few other BTers before the start.
Event warmup:

I went to the water and swam a little bit. I picked out trees to sight while on the swim.
Swim
  • 28m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided not to wear my wetsuit. IMKY is not wetsuit legal so I'm not going to wear one at my races unless it's really cold.
My wave started, I dove in and started swimming. I went out fast, trying to get away from the crowd. Then I settled in and cruised. I didn’t swim too hard; I’ve discovered my body is happier with a HR in the 155-163 range than in the 163+ range. I ran into some guy wearing a wetsuit and doing the breaststroke. That was interesting. I exited the water in 27:20. 2:20 slower than I wanted plus I had a long run up to transition.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I still sit in T1, dry my feet and put on my socks and shoes. If I could learn to ride with no socks and leave my shoes on the bike I bet I could knock a full minute off my T1 time.

See above, just not this year.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a really good bike. The course was more like 25.1 miles than 24.8. According to my bike computer I averaged 21MPH exactly, which was my goal. I lost my yellow aerobottle sponge right out of transition. I thought about stopping to pick it up but decided against it. As I exited transition and turned out of the park my HR was in the high 160’s. I decided to take it real easy until it came down below 155. So I rode the first few miles around 17-18MPH. About the time I started passing the first sprint racers I kicked it up a notch. I passed a ton of people during the first lap. I was sporting my new aero helmet so I had to make sure I deserved it and ride fast. :)I hit the two hills at the end of the 1st loop and powered up them. I’m getting much better at hills, they didn’t take too much out of me and I recovered very fast afterwards. During the whole ride I ate two gu’s and about 2/3 of a cliff bar. It was enough.
As I started the second loop I checked my average speed on my computer. It said 20.7. I HAD to get that 21 average, so I kicked it up again. There is one long, flat straight-away in the course. I checked my HR here, it said 163. I checked my speed, 26+. I smiled. Then I thought about an interview I saw with Natasha Badmann a few years ago. She’s won IM Hawaii 6 times and done it with a smile on her face the entire time. I though about how cool it was that I was able to compete in a sport with the likes of great athletes and great champions like Badmann, Chris McCormack and Chrissie Wellington. My smile turned into a laugh. I looked in front and behind me to make sure no one else was around. I was alone for several hundred yards. So I laughed, and laughed, and laughed. What a great sport! This was the best part of my day.

Laugh more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I couldn't get my helmet over my handlebars the way I wanted to. I took a few extra seconds to make sure it wouldn't fall on the ground and get scratched up.

Nothing.
Run
  • 56m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was pretty uneventful. The first mile went by really fast. I spotted a few people I knew, some BTers like Kate, Tri-Husker, Emerson and Bernabe. I didn’t stop to walk the entire time, not even at the aid stations. I just grabbed some H2O and kept on running. I saw Jeremy on my way back. He had some serious road rash up and down his left side. He told me later that he’d taken a nasty spill dismounting his bike. He broke his aerobars and helmet. But the man, who has been training all of five days for this race, got up, rubbed some dirt in his bleeding wounds and completed the run. He didn’t even stop in transition to check himself out. Jeremy, you are the man.

Bernabe caught me with about 2 tenths of a mile to go and we ran in together. He pulled up in the last few feet and let me cross first. I saw my wife and kids at the finish chute. After I crossed the line I turned around and saw my daughter had run down the chute after me. Cute.

I hammered the bike and it caused my already weak run to suffer. I don't know that I'd slow up on the bike next time, but I do realize that I could probably take some time off my run if I was not so aggressive on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, changed clothes and waited to Jeremy to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A weak run.

Event comments:

Some interesting things happened after I finished. I went to get some food after packing up Jeremy’s and my transition spots. I stopped by the Race for a Cure tent Emerson and his family had set up and grabbed a cupcake. They were delicious. The cake was very moist and they had tons of frosting. I scarfed it down and headed out to the post race food tent. I was loading up my plate with chips, cookies pretzels and other junk food (but no fruit) when I looked up and saw Lora manning the food table. We talked for a bit. Then she said, “here, let me get you a napkin.” I thanked her and stuffed it in my pocket. Then she said, “um, you might want to wipe your face.” I had a huge glob of icing on my face. Yes Lora, now you know I’m a slob. How embarrassing.

The awards ceremony was going on a few feet away. I didn’t bother to go over because I wanted to get back and see how Jeremy was doing, plus I’m not fast enough to place. A few minutes later Lora comes running up to me holding a medal and says, “David, you got first place in your age group!” Are you serious? No way! It was really cool of Lora to go out of her way to find me and get that to me.
Monday after the results were posted I found out I came in 11th, not first. So now I have this medal I don’t deserve and don’t want because I didn’t earn it. I Googled the guy who took first and found out he lives close. I went over to his house on Monday and spoke with him. He actually came in second in the 35-39 age group. So he didn’t want the medal either. The race company has the results all loused up. I think I’ll give the medal back to the race company next time I race with them.

One other thing was as I was talking to Bernabe after the race he told me he breaststroked some of the swim. And he was wearing a wetsuit. So he was probably the one I ran into on the swim. Bernabe is a fast breaststroker because he finished the swim just a few minutes later than me.

This was a great race for me. I PR’ed by more than 5 minutes, but came up about 4 minutes short of my goal of 2:35. This is my last oly distance race this year. I’ll be going for a 2:30 finish next year. I’ll just need to work on my run.

The pics below are:
1. Lora checks athletes in
2. Bernabe, Nora and I cross the finish line
3. Jeremy's road rash
4. Emerson and granddaughter
5. Bernabe and daughter

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 99/214
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 loops around a rectangular course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:31 | 24.85 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 55/214
Wind: Little
Course: 2 12.6 mile loops.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:02 | 06.21 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/23
Overall: 133/214
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back over park roads and a grassy dam area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-09 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic

2009-06-09 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2204553

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic
Nice Bike, Funny Helmet, Good Race

Couldnt quite get to you on the run. I got to stare at your back the last mile yet you remained elusive prey. You have to teach me how to get the training wheels off my bike.

2009-06-09 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Nice race! You blew last year's time out of the water! Dang!
I'll never have your fantastic cycling legs, but it's fun to watch you!

Sorry about your pretend first place finish. :-(

Great to meet so many BTers!
2009-06-09 3:06 PM

User image

Great race David... wow... I knew you were a good swimer... but your bike/run are getting really well... I don't know if next time I will be able to get to you anymore after the swim!

Keep it up!
2009-06-09 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good race David.  One of these days we'll run into each other.

2009-06-09 11:09 PM

User image

New user

Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for the mention David. I may seem down lately, but I will bounce back as soon as I can train again. I was dissappointed today when I cold not complete my swim training. Just keep on me David, you are a great friend and an amazingly dedicated triathlete.

2009-06-10 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Nice work David!!!  Laughing is what its all about!  Wish more people could remember that. 

Congrats on a great race!!
2009-06-10 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Having an absolute blast and working hard is what this sport is all about.  You've got the right attitude, David.  That COMPLETELY sucks about them messing up your placing.  Congrats on that PR, though!

Yeah, I totally didn't hear or see you at ALL at registration.  Sorry 'bout that.  I didn't realized how focused I was.  The picture is fun.  I look kinda scary, but it's fun.

It was nice to meet you, too, Alice!  Looking foward to you saying hello as you pass me on the bike at Toyota. 

Again, great job, David!

2009-06-10 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2207332

User image

Master
Ohio
Lora109 - 2009-06-10 10:38 AM Having an absolute blast and working hard is what this sport is all about.  You've got the right attitude, David.  That COMPLETELY sucks about them messing up your placing.  Congrats on that PR, though!

Yeah, I totally didn't hear or see you at ALL at registration.  Sorry 'bout that.  I didn't realized how focused I was.  The picture is fun.  I look kinda scary, but it's fun.

It was nice to meet you, too, Alice!  Looking foward to you saying hello as you pass me on the bike at Toyota. 

Again, great job, David!

I wouldn't say scary, I'd say focused.
2009-06-10 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Good idea to race sans wetsuit to prepare for KY. I wouldn't of thought of that!

Great race. I believe you that your bike computer said 21mph! Mine said 17.2 at my race, even tho official results say 16.8. Bastards!

And as you know, Natascha is my hero as well. How funny that you thought of her while I was meeting her. Maybe she'll do IMKY. I was amazed how approachable the pros were. They all seemed like regular people. Matty Reed came up to the Trakkers booth and asked some questions. I didn't know it was him till about 5 minutes later, I kept thinking "Who was that tall fellow -I konw I've seen him before". D'oh!

PS: you definitely deserve the aero helmet!
2009-06-11 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Looks like they changes some of the rankings. I move up to 9/25 for my AG and 73/213 overall for this race. I almost made the top 1/3 overall.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed