General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2010-05-02 11:49 PM
in reply to: #2223820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread
Thanks for all of the inspiration as I train for IMKY; I had the race on ironmanlive.com all day!  I would check in here and there and then watched the final hour.  They cut out the live video feed 15 minutes before the cutoff though!  Congrats to everyone; just being at the start line is more than most will every do!  

2010-05-03 3:07 AM
in reply to: #2832321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
sportyj - 2010-05-02 11:40 PM Anyone have race reports up yet?

I can't sleep...so I decided I'd give a crack at the race report

Here you go:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=206207
2010-05-03 9:23 AM

Second time finisher (and last time for reasons below) at 13:18:45. 7:08 on the bike. Was targeting 6:30 for it, but settled back in the second loop to save it for the run (25% my decision, 25% wind's decision, 50% hills) , which was an experience of its own. My plan paid off, as I managed a negative split on the run, the second biggest highlight of the day.

The first... my team support. Kids (4 and 6) did well enough that my wife (6 months pregnant with twins) got me 11 total views of them on the course, including my first climb up the 'Veyo Wall'. Right now, that video means more to me than the medal.

She made the first bus out of the Sand Hallow and hauled it up there. It may be an individual sport, but some results are a team effort. She's not into this, so not sure how I will ever repay her for it.

Congratulations to every finisher. My hat is off to the one guy I saw with the broken collarbone that walked his way to a finish. Well, Sunday morning, I heard he finished. Hopefully it is true. Regardless, his resolve on the run was inspirational.
2010-05-03 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2832285

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

gcirongirl - 2010-05-02 11:53 PM Yup. Just got back from the ER. I guess the NSAIDS upset my stomach which compounded the dehydration and sent me into a spiral that I needed a little medical attention to come back from. I had no idea that NSAIDS were so bad. Now I know. Next year. . . vindication is mine!

I am so glad you went to the ER.  I was worried about you.  I am glad you are OK today.  Its a race.  Its not worth being sick over.  There are other races.

2010-05-03 10:11 AM

User image

Cedar Park
Just sat on a plain with one of the officials and a pro from Asia, and both stated that as of Sunday morning they are figuring this race has the highest percentage of DNF in recent history, and possibly the highest since the M-Dot series started.  Both used the word Epic when talking about the course.  I agree.
2010-05-03 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2832074

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

furiousferret - 2010-05-02 9:42 PM 1 more to DNF...

I woke up just fine, didn't really have any nerves for it being my first IM event; well I did days before but race morning I was fine.  I even slept on the bus to the swim.

Finished the swim just fine, a little slower than I wanted (1:49), I had to stop behind a buoy and use my inhaler (no biggie), stopped and sighted too much but the water wasn't too cold for me and I exited fresh.

Started the bike, immediately ate a Clif Bar, 2 GU's, and some Gatorade.  At about mile 22 I felt a tad bit off, half the food I ate would come up.  At the second loop I stopped eating and drinking which seemed to fix it.  The hills killed me, but I think they killed everyone else.  At about 4:30 and the winds started.  On the descent into St George I almost went down from a gust while going 45 mph.  That was sketchy.  My goal was to get off the bike fresh and my legs did feel good, not great, but ready to run.

I got off the bike and started the run.  I started cramping really bad and my lower back would just tighten up in pain; like someone put it in a vise grip.  When I tried to run it would get worse.  The plan then was to walk it off until it went away.  I tried everything at the aid stations, chicken broth, gatorade, coke, chips, it wouldn't go away.  Finally after 10 miles I saw an EMT, they told me I was dehydrated and I was sent to the med tent.  Being carted off the course was pretty humiliating, the driver didn't say a word to me, just asked for my bib and chip, and the racers were waving at me on the course.  I really don't wish it upon anyone.

When I got to the med tent tent, the volunteer told me they weren't seeing anyone.  I really didn't know what to do after that because at that point I really wasn't feeling good at all.  People were congratulating me on the race but telling them I did not finish put me in tears; good thing I had my sunglasses on.  I tried to walk back to my hotel, realized I wasn't going to make it, and laid down on a bench in front of a store, still in the same clothes I was running in.  I didn't want to talk to anyone, see anyone, I just wanted to be alone.  

I have no idea how long I was there but finally a nice local family asked if I was okay and I asked them to contact my wife on their cell.  She picked me up, got my bike and wetsuit and we left.  When I got to the room the cramps kept me up all night, they went away around 10 am today.  I still haven't slept.

That was probably the most humiliating day of my life.

I wasn't going to post this but decided that reading this may help another finish.  This forum usually posts the positives but its good to know how bad the negatives really are.  

WOW so sorry about the DNF but sounds like a sound decision. I am unfortunately not surprised RE the med tent.  They dont' have much standardization across races (I was the only doc in the med tent at IMFL in 2007 and I have volunteered at IMWI as well)  I would sugggest you write a letter to NAS RE what happened.  They pulled you off the course then refused to treat?  Crazy. 

I hope your body is feeling better by now even tho it will take a while for your mind to catch up in the healing process.  The vast majority of us do not make a living at this and its just to worth sacrificing your health for.   Could have happened to anyone.  Take care and heal well

2010-05-03 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2833074

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Sully_Joe - 2010-05-03 8:11 AM Just sat on a plain with one of the officials and a pro from Asia, and both stated that as of Sunday morning they are figuring this race has the highest percentage of DNF in recent history, and possibly the highest since the M-Dot series started.  Both used the word Epic when talking about the course.  I agree.

Just looking at the "Are we tracking St. George" tracking thread in the "Iron Distance" forun, I'd be willing to bet we had the highest percentage of DNFs among BTers of any IM I can recall seeing tracked here.  I had a moment on each of the disciplines (cramp on swim, dehydration and cramps late on the bike, and severe dehydration on the run) where I wasn't sure I'd make it.  Fellow from Singapore in the hotel room next to us dropped out with hypothermia after the swim; talked to a woman at the convention center on Sunday morning who had to be jetski'ed in from the swim when she lost control of her legs.  Haven't heard the details, but I understand Kate Major among the pros DNFed...she was one of the favorites.  Second most common word I heard besides "epic"?  "Brutal."

Edited by tcovert 2010-05-03 10:47 AM
2010-05-03 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Congratulations to everyone who finished what may be the toughest IronMan course there is.

For those that didn't finish, congratulations on getting to the starting line. You will perservere and you WILL get the next one.

At the awards banquet they said there were 272 DNF's, 2nd most in any IronMan. 1st was Wisconsin a few years ago when they had record heat. EVERY athlete that was on the podium in my age group had done Kona before and they ALL said this race is tougher than Kona.

10:51 and 4th in my age group. I've got one more IronMan this year October 9 in Kona, Hawaii. Full race report will be posted soon.

(Picture2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Picture2.jpg (59KB - 44 downloads)
2010-05-03 11:25 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2833270

2010-05-03 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2833332

Master
South of SLC
Brandon that is all true, but it may be too soon to go through that analysis. Let the blood and puke dry before we talk this through...

Mike

2010-05-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2833348

2010-05-03 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2833361

Sensei
Sin City
I really am proud of everyone for being out there, no matter this finish line.  I sort of feel like an arse, because I should be happy for ME for the same reasons...  And when it comes down to it, I am.

BUT, I am sort of disapointed with my times.  I trained really hard for this and base on my training times, should have been 60-90 minutes faster.  I just failed out there and it's disapointing...

But, finished, heard mike yell my name and call me an ironman, so that's pretty darn cool.
2010-05-03 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2833361

Master
South of SLC
bctri21 - 2010-05-03 10:31 AM

Rollin' Thunder - 2010-05-03 11:28 AM Brandon that is all true, but it may be too soon to go through that analysis. Let the blood and puke dry before we talk this through... Mike

Will do, Mike.  Thanks for keeping me inline bud.  Being young tends to have me putting my foot in my mouth a lot.

I agree with you and there will be a time and a place for that discussion.

I know a couple of people who DNS'ed because of the weather/course/didn't want to. I met a guy at a local tri shop who gave me his training schedule and added the comment that this would be his first tri. I wish I would have caught his name so I could have checked his results.

Without a doubt there was a ton of suffering out there. I think I could have suffered as much on any other course, I would have hopefully just gone a little faster. But, I did have a great race and hit about where I thought I would for my training volume and times.

Good work everyone. It was unbelievable. Regardless if you DNF'ed, walked off the course, finished and met your goals, or missed the cutoffs, good work. It was still a tough day all around.

Now I am off to Hawaii with the family. It will be interesting to see how this discussion progresses.

Mike
2010-05-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2833332

Champion
Northridge, California
bctri21 - 2010-05-03 9:25 AM I don't want to sounds cynical, but I do have a thought or two about the course. It is unfortunate that there were so many that DNF; however, I think that this is not a result of a brutal course or epic hills.  The bike wasn't any worse than Silverman IMO.  I talked to a couple of people who came into the course with 8 weeks training, and there were those that signed up because "it was in my back yard and I have always wanted to do one". Those same people said they have never done a triathlon let alone an ironman.  I think that we are seeing the popularity of the sport coming about. 

You do sound a bit cynical, IMO.  And also a little disrespectful of some hard-working people who DNFed not because they weren't tough enough, but because they didn't want to end up hospitalized.

I don't think "the popularity" of triathlon had anything to do with the fact that there was a higher percentage of DNFs than at almost any other NA Ironman ever.  I guarantee you there were more "impulse" entrants at a race like IMAZ than there were at this one.  IMSG took forever to sell out...I'm pretty sure people approached with caution, between the course profile and the need to do winter training.  Only 700 athletes out of over 2000 supposedly were first-timers.  Personally, I trained harder and more specifically for this course than for my first IM and still finished a whole lot slower.

About Silverman:  People played the "Silverman" card a couple times over the weekend and I found that a little annoying, frankly.  I don't think anyone questions that Silverman's bike course is harder...but so what?  The swim there isn't as cold--which was a major source of DNFs and general struggles on Saturday--and the run has significantly less climbing compared to IMSG.  My Garmin showed about 3000' of total climbing (and almost no flats) on the IMSG run, but even discounting that for likely inaccuracy, there's an absolute minimum net altitude gain on each of the two loops of 500' from Town Square to the top of the course and 250' from the turnaround to the top, so there's unquestionably over 1500' of gain (not to say actual total climbing, which is more)...Silverman says their run course has less than 1300' of gain.

The bike course isn't the real challenge at IMSG and I didn't think it would be going in, honestly--people were mostly making the cutoff there from what I saw and heard.  But people were really struggling with the run.  In that respect, I think IMSG plays out like Wildflower:  Reputation for a tough ride, but really a tougher run.
2010-05-03 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2833270

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
rbalazs - 2010-05-03 11:06 AM Congratulations to everyone who finished what may be the toughest IronMan course there is. For those that didn't finish, congratulations on getting to the starting line. You will perservere and you WILL get the next one. At the awards banquet they said there were 272 DNF's, 2nd most in any IronMan. 1st was Wisconsin a few years ago when they had record heat. EVERY athlete that was on the podium in my age group had done Kona before and they ALL said this race is tougher than Kona. 10:51 and 4th in my age group. I've got one more IronMan this year October 9 in Kona, Hawaii. Full race report will be posted soon.

Congratz...I saw you out there and you looked strong the whole way...way to go!

2010-05-03 12:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
This was my second ironman. The one previous was not an Mdot and was just about as tough. I did sign up for this one because it was in my back yard, but I also trained like heck for it. I was prepared for this course. I knew the hills and trained for them.

I was on target for a PR when I got sick. I did pull myself from the race. The EMT's would probably have done it for me if I had told them everything that was going on (diabetic, throwing up w/bloody diarreah). I didn't tell them anything except I felt icky because I wanted to option to choose. I also just wanted my blood sugar tested to make sure that wasn't the issue. It turned out to be a good thing. I was in the ER last night and they said I could have caused some real serious problems if I had continued. Recovery from kidney failure is a lot tougher than recovering from a DNF. Right now all I have to deal with is the lingering nausea and a little intestinal bleeding. It was a really tough choice to make, but I think that I made the right one. I will live to race again. It was a tough and very expensive way to learn that large amounts of Ibuprofin and endurance events don't mix well, no matter what the sports med doc prescribes. Lesson learned. Moving on. I am NOT blaming my DNF on a tough course.

I think that the course was probably tough for some coming from flatter areas. The only real way to train for hills is to train on hills. I live in SLC and so have plenty of hills to play with. I think that people need to realize that they not only need to train going up a hill, but also need to train going down a hill. This course had a fabulous downhill portion. I was going consistently between 35-47mph on it while passing people doing 20mph. That seems silly to me. To go down a hill, it takes no real athletic ability other than good bike handling skills and a little judgement as to when enough is enough.

I will be back for this race next year. This time sans Ibuprofin and Midol.
2010-05-03 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2833474

Mesa
tcovert - 2010-05-03 10:05 AM

bctri21 - 2010-05-03 9:25 AM I don't want to sounds cynical, but I do have a thought or two about the course. It is unfortunate that there were so many that DNF; however, I think that this is not a result of a brutal course or epic hills.  The bike wasn't any worse than Silverman IMO.  I talked to a couple of people who came into the course with 8 weeks training, and there were those that signed up because "it was in my back yard and I have always wanted to do one". Those same people said they have never done a triathlon let alone an ironman.  I think that we are seeing the popularity of the sport coming about. 

You do sound a bit cynical, IMO.  And also a little disrespectful of some hard-working people who DNFed not because they weren't tough enough, but because they didn't want to end up hospitalized.

I don't think "the popularity" of triathlon had anything to do with the fact that there was a higher percentage of DNFs than at almost any other NA Ironman ever.  I guarantee you there were more "impulse" entrants at a race like IMAZ than there were at this one.  IMSG took forever to sell out...I'm pretty sure people approached with caution, between the course profile and the need to do winter training.  Only 700 athletes out of over 2000 supposedly were first-timers.  Personally, I trained harder and more specifically for this course than for my first IM and still finished a whole lot slower.

About Silverman:  People played the "Silverman" card a couple times over the weekend and I found that a little annoying, frankly.  I don't think anyone questions that Silverman's bike course is harder...but so what?  The swim there isn't as cold--which was a major source of DNFs and general struggles on Saturday--and the run has significantly less climbing compared to IMSG.  My Garmin showed about 3000' of total climbing (and almost no flats) on the IMSG run, but even discounting that for likely inaccuracy, there's an absolute minimum net altitude gain on each of the two loops of 500' from Town Square to the top of the course and 250' from the turnaround to the top, so there's unquestionably over 1500' of gain (not to say actual total climbing, which is more)...Silverman says their run course has less than 1300' of gain.

The bike course isn't the real challenge at IMSG and I didn't think it would be going in, honestly--people were mostly making the cutoff there from what I saw and heard.  But people were really struggling with the run.  In that respect, I think IMSG plays out like Wildflower:  Reputation for a tough ride, but really a tougher run.

Silverman Silverman Silverman.... Just saying since you are knocking a race you have never done and thus really don't have any business talking about. Silverman's run is 1300 per loop but is not as difficult as St. George.

There are always more impulse registrants when the M-Dot logo is involved. Early in the year races don't sell out as fast because people up north and back east do not want to train for a IM during the winter. IMAZ in the spring took months to fill in the past but now sells out right away as a late fall race.

Anyway, good job to you out there to you.
2010-05-03 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2833474

Sensei
Sin City
tcovert - 2010-05-03 10:05 AM

Not sure if I was one of those people...  But I agree with you.  This, and Silverman are the only two I have done and the bike course IS harder at Silverman (I believe I said that earlier).  I was an hour faster on this course (even thought I felt like crap) than at Silverman, but an hour slower on the run course.  The bike course was not my favorite, and I may have underestimated it a tad, but it was not much worse than expected OR any of my training rides.

But that run?  THAT took my by surprise.  It was ROUGH for me.  Even if it was a stand alone mary, I would have struggled.

Like I said, Silverman is tougher on paper, but for ME, IMSG was harder.  I never wanted to quit Silverman.  Can't say the same for IMSG.
2010-05-03 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2833566

Sensei
Sin City
Chile,

BTW, took you to mile 50 to pass me on the bike this time!  Better than at the "S" word a couple years ago...

I knew it was you.  I don't thank ANYONE else rides the Xlab wheels...

Edited by Kido 2010-05-03 12:56 PM
2010-05-03 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2833620

Sensei
Sin City
I can't wait to read eveyone's RR.  To those who posted long posts in this thread, are you going to say the same things in your RR?  I hope so, because I want to comment there.  It's probably more appropriate.

2010-05-03 12:59 PM

Colorado Springs

My friend and I had a good day, I missed a PR by 10 minutes and he finished his first.  This race was done in nearly perfect conditions and there were hundreds of DNFs.  If it is even average temp (82) for that day and the slightest bit of wind gusts there is going to be carnage on the course.  There won't be enough ambulances to carry people off.  The downhills heading back into town were dangerously fast with cross wind gusts, even on our relatively calm day, especially on the 2nd loop when you were not 100% anymore.  I am not saying it is Silverman but it is that type of challenge and should be under taken with that kind of respect.  I heard several times that this race course was more difficult than Coeur d'Alene or Lake Placid.  St George did put on a great show, thanks to all.

2010-05-03 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2833620

Sensei
Sin City
BTW, not sure who went to the awards lunch.  I figured I would at least get another "free" meal out of it!

I was almost moved to tears with the lady who worked for the city gave her speech and SHE was crying, as well as Mike's story about the older lady volunteer who asked/begged if she could come back next year...

It's THOSE sort of things that makes me take a second look at why I do this.  Not the finish times, or my name being called at then end...  It's the community of athletes AND the people/family/volunteers that make it unique and special...
2010-05-03 1:04 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
2010-05-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2833566

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43