General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Etiquette in the open water; request to USAT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-07-27 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2311248

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Etiquette in the open water; request to USAT
McFuzz - 2009-07-27 6:17 PM

KSH - 2009-07-26 9:40 PM  I think if you are swimming and you start to swim over someone... why not change direction and STOP swimming over them? HUH?

Um...I've seen your pics, if I could keep up (and not be in trouble from my wife and your BF), I'd stay right with you even with the whole rest of the lake available. 

But I agree, it's usually easier to shift a little left or right and not swim right on top of someone.  I usually start to the outside so I can swim in clear water most of the way. 

Inadvertent contact I can accept.  I don't buy into the "grab an ankle and pull" (as has happened to me once or twice) as accidental or unavoidable, but very difficult to police. 

Drafting is fine. Swimming over me is not.

Thanks for wanting to keep up though- that is very nice of you.

I think I'm going to use my flip on the back and foot to the shoulder move more in the future. It sure was efficient. I even yelled at the girl and she heard me.

2009-07-27 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2307800

User image

Miami,FL
KSH - 2009-07-25 7:12 PM All good tips.. and it would be nice. But since they are not official rules it's doubtful they will be covered. Oh, and if someone touches my toes... I KICK VERY HARD. Why? Because here in Texas we swim in very murky lakes. It's easy for someone to come up and not notice they are about to swim over someone. I want that person who just touched my feet to know that they will NOT be swimming over me or taking me down in the water... so I turn on the kick... and you know what, they go around me.

well said! nothing stops people from swimming over you like a good hard kick. I hate it when they just keep grabbing my feet, my only option is to power kick for a bit and pull away.

As far as the OP i agree that some tips can be helpful, however the lack of "rules" is what makes OWS so exciting for me.
2009-07-28 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2311674

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Yosel88 - 2009-07-27 11:24 PM
KSH - 2009-07-25 7:12 PM All good tips.. and it would be nice. But since they are not official rules it's doubtful they will be covered. Oh, and if someone touches my toes... I KICK VERY HARD. Why? Because here in Texas we swim in very murky lakes. It's easy for someone to come up and not notice they are about to swim over someone. I want that person who just touched my feet to know that they will NOT be swimming over me or taking me down in the water... so I turn on the kick... and you know what, they go around me.

well said! nothing stops people from swimming over you like a good hard kick. I hate it when they just keep grabbing my feet, my only option is to power kick for a bit and pull away.

As far as the OP i agree that some tips can be helpful, however the lack of "rules" is what makes OWS so exciting for me.

So you're telling me if someone touches your feet you're assuming they are going to swim over you?  Paranoid much?  I'm not the fastest swimmer, but if I feel someone touch my feet, I first assume they are drafting.  At this point, they are about 5-6' from me.  If they are going that much faster than me, it won't matter if I 'kick hard'.  They will be gone within seconds.

There is a big difference between hitting someone's feet and grabbing.  At my last HIM I got close enough to someone that I knew they had a beard.  I tried to catch some feet while they went by and ran into him.  We both moved slightly and kept going.  It's called incidental contact. 

With all due respect KSM if it were a situation where I happenned to come across the back of your legs (at an angle) and you tried to do the foot to the shoulder thing, I would consider you the aggressor.  There is a HUGE difference between contact for a few seconds and sorting things out and going over the top of someone.

When we practice our OWS I actually will swim across the back of my athletes legs so that they don't freak out when they get contact.  I also swim right along side them and bump them a lot.  It's how it works.
2009-07-28 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2307781

User image

Master
Houston, TX
If you're getting swam over, especially in a wetsuit swim.. We can't see you. You don't need to kick much in triathlon swims to begin with and the swimmers getting passed by waves behind them typically have even less kick. Swimmers just don't see you till they are on top of you. They may hit you once more before moving on/out of the way, but it's not like people try to hit you. So if I come up to you and all of a sudden my hand hits your leg, it may even be your upper leg.. and the next thing I get is a heel to the face.. nice.
2009-07-28 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2311221

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
ChrisM - 2009-07-27 6:57 PM
orphious - 2009-07-27 3:48 PM

ChrisM - 2009-07-25 8:24 PM
vonschnapps - 2009-07-25 3:57 PM Pre-race we get lectured on all the bike rule violations, sometimes even get a list of warnings in the race packet. What I'd like to see is USAT develop the 'rules of etiquette' for the open water swim. Things like; when you feel someone at your feet... stop kicking. When you make contact with another swimmer...back off or alter your direction. If you are going to do the breast stroke...start in the back of your wave. If you encounter a swimmer in distress....wave down a life guard. The swim scares a lot of people away from triathlons, and causes many in the sport the most anxiety. I think the triathlon community should develop a set of rules of engagement and rules of etiqutte to make the swim safer and more enjoyable.

I may not agree with the specific suggestions but I like the general idea.   Fewer people in tris come from OWS backgrounds, and not many get to participate in open water clinics, where they may learn OWS etiquette (even down to it's bad form to draft off someone for an entire race and come around and pip the win at the end). 

See bolded.. I disagree.  Its not against the rules and I think it is a smart strategy.  It would be just like a draft leagal bike race.

Whether it's against the rules or not, or a smart strategy or not (neither of which I stated, so not sure what you are disagreeing with), it's bad form.  Watch the tour?  See a cyclist pulling another guy for 50K without taking a turn and then get outsprinted at the end??   Yeah, it's bad form, in cycling or swimming, to not take your turn at the front.   If you are going to draft and go for the win, the  sportsmanlike thing to do is take your turn at the front (in cycling, where team tactics are involved or a jersey is at stake, there is an understanding that the guy being pulled may not take a turn, but without those factors, outsprinting for a stage win without having put in your work is frowned upon)

How about what one guy did to me last year.  Drafted off me the whole swim, hit my feet with EVERY SINGLE STROKE, and then when we got out of the water, he sprinted ahead to the timing strip.  Now THAT's BAD FORM.  I caught him in the last mile of the run and passed him back, but I'm still aggravated about the slapping of my feet with every single stroke.  I even stopped and said "go around dude!"  But he just went right-back to slapping my feet. 

The only thing I'd like to see is a deeper turning-point.  I'm swimming in a tri in 2 weeks where the first turn is only about 50 meters from the shore so everyone sprints to the corner and then it's like tuna in a net at that corner.  Other tri's that I've done where the swim was 100 meters out, the herd is thin by the turn and there's less violence.  I'm comfortable in open water, I was a wrestler, so I can take the elbows and grabbing and dunking, but I think someone's gonna get hurt when the turn is that compact.
2009-07-28 10:38 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I don't think drafting off the swim and sprinting ahead at the end is bad form at all in a race.
Yeah if you're in a training ride where it's understood that you take your turn pulling - you need to do that. But in a race?? That's just good strategy.

2009-07-28 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I do not get the swimming over thing. Don't they feel the feet, then the legs and then other parts? Isn't swimming over someone harder than swimming around them?
2009-07-28 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2312525

User image

As I wrote above, I never said anything about the strategy or whether it's against the rules, only that swimmers (and cyclists on the road) see it as bad form.  If you don't, then you don't.  Hopefully some people will consider more than just rules in their racing, including unspoken etiquette (which is the point of this thread).  But it can't be enforced, since folks will race how they want to.

For example, it's good race strategy to pass by the guy that just crashed his bike.  rstocks will tell you it's good etiquette to stop and see if he's OK.

2009-07-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2312414

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Marvarnett - 2009-07-28 10:04 AM
Yosel88 - 2009-07-27 11:24 PM
KSH - 2009-07-25 7:12 PM.

When we practice our OWS I actually will swim across the back of my athletes legs so that they don't freak out when they get contact.  I also swim right along side them and bump them a lot.  It's how it works.[/QUOTE]

I just mentioned this in the other thread. I had learned & practiced this at a OWS clinic, and honestly without a wetsuit on, I really didnt' notice the two people taking turns "jumping" my legs, and this is something that I"ve practiced and done since then weather it's an open water or pool swim.    When I'm trying to draft off someone from behind I don't attempt to hit their feet but sometimes it will happen, same when people are drafting off me.  It's when someone actually grabs my foot that irks me, since closing your hand and grabbing is not part of the swimming motion, so I think it's deliberate, so at that point I either speed up to drop them or veer to one side.  
2009-07-28 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
I think that the water rules should be gone over to help reel in the overly zealous swimmer.  The mentality of the washing machine need to be done away with.  Play nice.  

Funny thing happened to me in the Musselman Half.  I'm swimming along every 20 feet or so feel someone on my feet If ya want to draft go ahead.  On the the third leg I run into an inmovable object.  Thump on my head into a kyack helping some one.  The guy drafting plows right in to me.  Most of looked funny from the kyacker's point of view. 

Move and get going and draft guy is bugging my feet big time.  So showed a little white water. 
2009-07-28 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2311096

User image

Oklahoma City
I use the breast stroke in some of my tris and, well, these some of these rules wouldn't work so well for a couple of reasons. While I tend to start behind other swimmers because the fast swimmers are much faster than me there are a large number of swimmers who do freestyle who are slower than me. And, typically, the inexperienced freestylers start out too fast and then slow down during the event and I wind up passing them.

x2.  The USAT rules do not require one stroke or another.  The fact that I swim the breast stroke faster than some participants can freestyle should not require that I simply sit at the back until everyone else is done.  I'm slow but I shouldn't have to be the slowest.

I do agree that a little discussion of etiquette would be nice at the pre-race meeting.  At my last tri, a guy got to the last turn, tiptoed around the buoy like a ballerina (the water was pretty shallow), and then jumped into the middle of the pack.  It felt like a manitee had been dropped from the sky.  He landed on two of us and then shot off, kicking at us as he went.  Just rude, IMO.

2009-07-28 3:26 PM

How about we fix the entire problem and do all the races in reverse order.  Runners surely don’t mind starting in a pack, they do it for every running race.  That way everyone will be spread out for the swim, which is last and we wont have to worry about contact.  (the not so comfortable swimmers may be too tired to survive the swim but all the participants will benefit by not getting run over or bumped into as much).  Or have everyone take a swim test to verify they can swim in a straight line before they are allowed to participate.  Do a time trial start with verification requirements on your swim seed time.  Make the entire course full contact allowed to even things up.

Seriously though, put 100+people in the same place and tell them to go the same direction and you will have contact.  Most swims are too murky to see 10 inches through the water and judging incidental vs intentional contact would be impossible. 

Agree a little OWS etiquette would be nice and most swim only OWS races are very organized and contact is not really an issue.

Just remember you are doing this because it is FUN.  The entire thing is FUN (training, pre-race jitters, the contact on the swim, the wind or rain on the bike, the heat on the run, confusion in transition, the beer afterward). Cool

2009-07-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2313436

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Swim Chick - 2009-07-28 3:26 PM

How about we fix the entire problem and do all the races in reverse order.  Runners surely don’t mind starting in a pack, they do it for every running race.  That way everyone will be spread out for the swim, which is last and we wont have to worry about contact.  (the not so comfortable swimmers may be too tired to survive the swim but all the participants will benefit by not getting run over or bumped into as much).  Or have everyone take a swim test to verify they can swim in a straight line before they are allowed to participate.  Do a time trial start with verification requirements on your swim seed time.  Make the entire course full contact allowed to even things up.

Seriously though, put 100+people in the same place and tell them to go the same direction and you will have contact.  Most swims are too murky to see 10 inches through the water and judging incidental vs intentional contact would be impossible. 

Agree a little OWS etiquette would be nice and most swim only OWS races are very organized and contact is not really an issue.

Just remember you are doing this because it is FUN.  The entire thing is FUN (training, pre-race jitters, the contact on the swim, the wind or rain on the bike, the heat on the run, confusion in transition, the beer afterward). Cool

Some of the early tri's had a different order.  To be honest, the last thing you want is a couple hundred tired people in the water.  The setting sun made it difficult to see people in the water and somebody realized this was a recipe for disaster (and an early demise to triathlons). 

And if the requirement were to swim straight in open, murky, water, I'd not be allowed to start the race even though I did IMCdA last month. 

2009-07-28 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2313498

Regular
Denver
McFuzz - 2009-07-28 2:49 PM

And if the requirement were to swim straight in open, murky, water, I'd not be allowed to start the race even though I did IMCdA last month. 

lol.  At my first OWS a couple of weeks ago, some other guy and I were on the same pace for the last 200 yds or so and then we were weaving in mirror images to each other.  We must have looked something like this from above:
     /\
    /  \
   /    \
  /      \
 /        \
 \        /
  \      /
   \    /
    \  /
     \/
     /\
    /  \
   /    \
  /      \
 /        \
 \        /
  \      /
   \    /
    \  /
     \/
     /\
    /  \
   /    \
  /      \
 /        \
 \        /
  \      /
   \    /
    \  /
     \/

As we would collide then separate for 10 yards or so, then collide then separate, etc, etc.  I think we ran into each other about four or five times.
2009-07-28 5:24 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

To the OP I think that a brief discussion about OWS ettiquette  in a pre race meeting would be beneficial. Altering your direction when you come up on a slower swimmer is good ettiquette, to "stop kicking" if you feel someone at your feet is a bit of a stretch. Helping fellow athletes in distress, IMO, is a given.

OWS drafting ettiquette is a different thing all together. Drafting in the swim is perfectly legal and you are crazy not to draft given the opportunity. My swim this weekend was a perfect example. I started the swim behind 3 or 4 swimmers and I felt like I was coasting behind them. I tried to pass but as soon as I got out of the draft it was like hitting a wall, so I stayed there for the first loop and a half. They put the hammer down going around the last buoy and a found another set of feet to follow home. Could I have passed her? Absolutely. Why would I want to? I ran out of the water behind her and thanked her very much for the ride. Passing someone that you just used your whole race is just BAD FORM in triathlon because in the end it doesn't mean anything to your final placing or final time. In OWS it's a different story because it's who gets to the line first and there is more strategy that goes into the swim. (That's a whole thread in itself)

Being a strong swimmer is such a relief to me during IM races. TwinRacer came in around 1:04:00 and said he was battling the entire swim. THAT is a stressful swim and I don't envy those of you who have to deal with that kind of swim.

2009-07-28 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2313720

User image

rstocks3 - 2009-07-28 3:24 PM

To the OP I think that a brief discussion about OWS ettiquette  in a pre race meeting would be beneficial. Altering your direction when you come up on a slower swimmer is good ettiquette, to "stop kicking" if you feel someone at your feet is a bit of a stretch. Helping fellow athletes in distress, IMO, is a given.

OWS drafting ettiquette is a different thing all together. Drafting in the swim is perfectly legal and you are crazy not to draft given the opportunity. My swim this weekend was a perfect example. I started the swim behind 3 or 4 swimmers and I felt like I was coasting behind them. I tried to pass but as soon as I got out of the draft it was like hitting a wall, so I stayed there for the first loop and a half. They put the hammer down going around the last buoy and a found another set of feet to follow home. Could I have passed her? Absolutely. Why would I want to? I ran out of the water behind her and thanked her very much for the ride. Passing someone that you just used your whole race is just BAD FORM in triathlon because in the end it doesn't mean anything to your final placing or final time. In OWS it's a different story because it's who gets to the line first and there is more strategy that goes into the swim. (That's a whole thread in itself)

Being a strong swimmer is such a relief to me during IM races. TwinRacer came in around 1:04:00 and said he was battling the entire swim. THAT is a stressful swim and I don't envy those of you who have to deal with that kind of swim.

FTR Bob, I limited my comment about bad form to OWS races, not tris.  What is your opinion on that (i.e., drafting for 2 miles and then pulling around for the win)?  I've always been told (and read) that it's bad form to do so (not addressing whether it's smart to get a win or legal)   Maybe it's a west coast thing

2009-07-28 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2313724

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

ChrisM - 2009-07-28 6:25 PM
rstocks3 - 2009-07-28 3:24 PM

FTR Bob, I limited my comment about bad form to OWS races, not tris.  What is your opinion on that (i.e., drafting for 2 miles and then pulling around for the win)?  I've always been told (and read) that it's bad form to do so (not addressing whether it's smart to get a win or legal)   Maybe it's a west coast thing

IMO OWS races are about having the best strategy to win. If I am out front I know how many people are drafting and hopefully who they are. I will hold back on my effort knowing that I have a lot left in the tank to accept a challenge or just physically drop back and take the draft for a while. I look at it more like track racing on a bike without ever coming to the track stands for position of course.

In tri's, sometimes you get a draft and sometimes you don't. I've pulled my share of triathletes around a course with no hard feelings in the end even if they do run in front of me to get the "win" out of the water.

Now, tapping the feet of a swimmer ON EVERY STROKE will tend to get a little kick to the face or I'll just stop and let him/her go by.

2009-07-29 1:54 AM
in reply to: #2311177

Veteran
Boston
zed707 - 2009-07-28 7:33 AM

RalBorseth - 2009-07-26 8:49 PM
ATLsbr - 2009-07-25 6:39 PM I was thinking about this today in my swim.  One of the females caught up to me and I happend to grab a handful of boob.  But then she slapped me in the head.  She shouldn't have slapped me in the head.

Maybe some rules would be nice, but would it be enforcable?

Surely You Can’t Be Serious!  (In my best Leslie Nielson voice)

Yes, I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Darn, I was gonna say that. :D

But addressing the question - I totally understand where you are coming from as a newer triathlete, but I respectfully disagree about the stop-kicking and backing-off suggestions.

I only say this because my last few years of racing have been with huge waves of people (if waves at all, because IMs are just masses of hundreds and thousands of people starting at once). It is literally almost impossible when you are in a big wave (100 people or more) to not come in contact with other people, especially because it is a race situation and everyone wants to go fast and get ahead. Think of it this way - if you are starting out in a marathon with hundreds of people surrounding you and you want to get a PR, are you going to avoid all accidental bumping so that you don't inconvenience the other runners, and would you expect them to do the same for you?

As for the kicking, I agree with one of the earlier posters who said sometimes they kick harder when they feel someone at their feet, because for me, as a non-superior swimmer, sometimes it freaks me out if my HR is high and I want them off my tail (if they are doing it consistently of course). If you want to avoid people doing that, you could try sighting often and maybe you can avoid people's feet, but it's pretty tough to do I think. Practicing swimming in another's draft will also help with not tapping the feet in front every stroke. But at the beginning of the races, there is almost nothing you can do about people bumping into each other, unfortunately.

I think as you get more experienced though, you will learn to love the OWS. For almost 7 years I would hyperventilate in the water because all of the splashing and grabbing really freaked me out, but I always tried to think of it as 'hey - I survived that OWS - I'm so bad *ss (ha I know that's kind of sad but it's true). But I think part of the awesomeness of being able to say that you are a triathlete is the fact that you endure the craziness of OWS - because it really is much harder than some people let on.

I think if you are uncomfortable with the things that you mentioned, staying at the back of the pack might be a good idea. If you let everyone else start 10 seconds ahead, you won't be so much in the mix, and as someone had said in an earlier post, you will probably not even end up losing time because it will probably compensate for lost time dealing with being kicked, etc. Also, swimming realy wide can help with that problem too, as you don't have nearly as much turbulence.

I hope this helped a little bit. I don't mean to be rude, but it is the nature of the beast, and I hope it ends up growing on you so you can enjoy your races more

Edited by cam224 2009-07-29 1:59 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Etiquette in the open water; request to USAT Rss Feed  

of 2