United States
Korff Enterprises
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well due to nerves. Woke-up at 3:15 am looked-up the weather and started praying that it doesn't thunderstorm. Ate peanut butter and banana sandwich and some liquids. I may have drank a little too much. Finished packing my things and went to take a cab to the transition. The cab driver was surprised there was so much traffic at 4:30. It took 30 mins to get there. Usually at 4:30am it should only take 5-10 min. My wife is so sweet. She noticed that it was raining and asked if the race was still going to happen. I got to the transition and made sure everything was still there from the night before. Luckily everything I covered was still covered and dry. Some people had their plastic bags stolen and their shoes were soaked.
Event warmup:

Walked from the transition to the swim start, a nice 1 mile walk. We weren't allowed to do any practice swims. Cheered for some of the initial waves and saw some of the para-athletes. They're so inspirational. I can't imagine racing blind or without legs. Also a group of us cheered for all the logs and twigs floating down stream. If they were going down stream fast we cheered if they didn't move we would boo. We were all concerned that the current would die down and reverse. Luckily it didn't happen to any of the waves this yr, at least I don't think it did (unlike last yr from what i'm told). Nice group of people.
Swim
  • 20m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start was in the water. I jumped in from the pier and was behind a few people. I was supposed to hang on to a rope but there were to many people in front of me for me to grab onto anything so I waded for a min while trying to adj my goggles and before I knew it the horn rang and we started to swim. I got stuck on the rope for a sec and tried to kick out of it and accidentally kicked my friend, I felt really bad about it.. I was surprised about the time, even with the help of the current due to all the congestion and my not so good sighting. I got stuck behind a row of people again (it seems to happen to me all the time at races). For the first 300-400 yds i kept on getting kicked in the face by the same few people. I decided to swim over one of them. I felt bad but he kick me so many times! My friend who was in the same wave as me has been doing all distance tri's and swim events for 9 yrs and only beat me by 15 sec. I use him as a gauge on my performance (for swimming only) so I was pretty happy. He kicked my a$$ on everything else.
What would you do differently?:

Relax more and get a better swim position. Do more speed drills during longer sets.
Transition 1
  • 07m 40s
Comments:

Got out of the water. The swimmer in front of me kicked-up some silt. My face was covered and found out after the race that it was in my nose! Ran 100 yds and both my legs cramped. Quads and calves. Not sure why, this never happened to me. My first thought was that I'm toast for the run and bike. I was most concerned about the run because I didn't run for over wk due to a pulled muscle bellow my rt calf. I ran another 50 yds but they completely cramped again so I tried taking the wetsuit off before I got to the the transition area. It took forever to get off. I walked the remaining 250 yds or so. I had trouble getting on my bike shoes due to the cramping. I tried stretching but didn't help to much. I decided not to take my sunglasses and took off for the bike leg. There was a line of racers to mount your bike because it was so crowded.

Not cramp after the swim?? I'm still confused about that.. Though few people in my mentor group mentioned that it may be due to not using my legs during the swim or over hydrating before the race. That makes sense as I think I did both.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was just as advertised. Some long climbs and declines. The course was surprisingly crowded considering it was on the highway. A few crashes and a few flat tires. My legs felt crampy throughout the ride. The good thing is I was able to easily stretch on the bike. I made sure I drank all my liquids because I was hoping that the drinking will help with the cramps. I was surprised I was able to push up the hills fairly well. Anytime I felt a cramp coming on I would switch to a lower gear and spin out. It seemed to work. There were a few down hills were I reached 40 mph and the road was a little bumpy. I never went that fast before and held on to the aerobars extremely tight. There were a few times I thought my front tire wasn't touching the pavement, it made me a little nervous. I thought about breaking but saw other people doing great so I tried to relax and enjoy the speed. The course was a little dangerous with all the people. There seemed to be 3 levels of bikers. The beginners/slower group, the avg biker and the fast. There were times when several people were passing on the left at the same time causing lots of congestion. There were times I was passing someone and another person was passing me and another person passing that person etc all at the same time. I was happy with my time considering the cramping. My bike computer said I avg 19.5 mph but the official race results said 18.7 mph.

Stay in aero more, work on hills and not cramp.
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Both legs cramped again. I had to lean on the fence and stretch. I walked out of transition and pretty much the first 2 miles.
Run
  • 1h 08m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Cramps and more cramps.. The first half of the run I walked and ran but mainly walked. The second half I did a little more running but still walked a bit. During the initial stretch of the run down 72nd st there were a ton of people cheering you on. It sort of reminded me of the Tour de France. People were pretty close to you. I was embarrassed because I was passed by so many people since I mainly walked this part. At one point a little old lady WALKED up behind me and said "see I'm walking faster than you, now get your butt in gear Mr!" I said thanks and shuffled my feet forward. In the first half of the race I could barely bend my legs. One racer stopped by me and asked if I was cramping and suggested I walk a few yds backwards. I thanked him and tried it and it worked great. It seemed to loosened me up a little. I ran until I cramped again and then walked. I did this throughout until I saw my wife and son, My wife was screaming like crazy cheering me on and I just got a great boost of energy from it. I ran the last 1.5 miles or so at a more normal run pace and somehow my legs allowed me. For a good quarter to half mile before the finish there were a ton of people cheering you on. There were many finishers cheering as well. It was great to see and know that you're about to finish. Based on the official results I ran a full 2.5 - 3 min/mile slower than I typically run the same course (even after bricks).

Not sure, it's a combination of figuring out what happened with my legs during the swim and my nutrition before the race. If my legs felt more "race" normal I would have done better.
Post race
Warm down:

The cold towel that they give you at the end felt amazing. They had some showers for you to stand under as well. I drank 2 low fat chocolate muscle milks that they gave out for free and a banana. Physically I felt good since I walked so much during the run, I wish I was able to push myself more but my legs just wouldn't bend at times. The family and several of our friends went to Shake Shack for burgers and shakes afterwards. Overall I was happy with my first Olympic race and third overall. Considering last Oct during my first sprint it took me 22min to swim 880yds and avg 16.4 mph on my bike on a flat course (12miles), I'm happy with my progress.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps

Event comments:

I would have rated it higher if there was a way to make this race safer, especially on the bike. The volunteers were amazing and did a great job.

Last updated: 2009-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless QR
Course: Point to Point
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:40
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:47 | 24.85 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Performance: Average
My bike computer said that the distance was longer.
Wind: Some
Course: Up the west side highway to the Bronx and back. For the most part pretty smooth. Some pretty rough patches but not too bad.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:31 | 06.21 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: down 72nd st and the upper loop of Central Park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-28 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2009-07-28 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2312403

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
Good job Stan. 1st Oly in the bag now. Too bad with the cramps, you would have smashed the 3 hr mark.
Stuff happens. Was to push through it!
2009-07-28 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Congrats on trudging through the cramps, those things are killer.  Where did you get the milk???  I missed that stuff..bummer!!!  Congrats on a great race, you did awesome!!!

2009-07-28 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME JOB and GREAT RR!  

I can just picture you fools cheering and booing for those logs.  I'd be right there with you!  40 in the aero bars is kinda freaky especially for your first time in a crowded race on bumpy roads!  I love the ol' lady story and the energy you got from seeing your family.

Great job Stan.  I'm glad things worked out so well. 
2009-07-28 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Way to go Stan. You perservered through the cramps. Glad you did not make you injuries worse. Great report.
2009-07-28 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations Stan! Great job toughing it out with the cramps. Enjoyed reading your race report! Fantastic job!

2009-07-28 1:16 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Great job on your first Oly, yeah those cramps suck.  Walking backwards to help with cramps, hmm I'll have to remember that one.
2009-07-28 1:18 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Nice Report.  Way to stay strong and fight!
2009-07-28 3:33 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Great race Stan - even through all of the cramping.  Speaking from experience, those do suck.  I cramped all the way through my first tri.  Good report.  I really enjoyed reading it.

2009-07-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2312521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rudedog55 - 2009-07-28 11:36 AM Congrats on trudging through the cramps, those things are killer.  Where did you get the milk???  I missed that stuff..bummer!!!  Congrats on a great race, you did awesome!!!

The milk was in a huge bucket with the cytomax.  It was my first time having them and they are great.  I'm going to get some for home. 
2009-07-28 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
You did REALLY well for someone with cramps!

Great job!  Sorry I couldn't meet you. It was a big huge crowded organized chaos scene!

Congrats on finishing.

dbw27

2009-07-29 12:33 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Awesome job on your first Olympic, Stan!!!  Way to fight through adversity (cramps) and finish strong!  Your swim time is simply incredible!
2009-07-29 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Only in NewYork will you get heckled by an old lady walking!  You handled it much better than I would have.  Great job on the swim and bike.  Don't you love full contact swimming?  And great job staying disciplined on the run and not making your injury worse.  Can't wait to read the RR  for next year's race. You'll crush it!
2009-07-29 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
This was such a good RR to read!  Congrats on your first Oly. =) It stinks to have to walk, but you're right..sometimes your body gets caught up in the moment and lets you RACE to the end.  Sounds like you have an awesome/supportive family.  I love that the older woman told you to get going. That's funny!
2009-07-29 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Great job fighting through the pain!  Just think how easy the next one will be

2009-07-30 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2316236

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia