United States
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 57s
Overall Rank = 89/143
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Until the day before this race, I hadn't given it much thought. It was just going to be a long training day for me. But then somebody asked me that afternoon how long it would be, and when I added up my expected times, I realized that it was not going to be a walk in the park by any means. This is pretty darn close to a half-iron distance race... and the forecast didn't look pretty. But Dave and I still went out for our usual Saturday ride the day before, and did 40 miles in the 100* weather. There were also sustained winds of 20 mph plus gusts to 30. So, probably not the best idea, but we went anyway. After the ride, Dave and I met Lisa (lisac957) at On the Border for dinner and we planned out the logistics for the next day. After dinner, Dave and I went and got some cake to celebrate my birthday, then it was right to bed. Surprisingly, I slept really well - I only woke up once, around 1 am, and then naturally woke up about 2 min before my alarm went off at 4:30. I got up, made some coffee, got my stuff all together, and Lisa picked me up right at 5:00 to go to the race site.
Event warmup:

This race was pretty weird.... the only packet pick up was the morning of the race from 5:00-7:30, which is why we went so early, and they kicked us out of transition at 7:45. The sprint distance race started at 8:00, and the 50 was supposed to start at 8:30, but it was delayed a few minutes. I don't think my wave started until 8:40. It was already HOT out there, and we'd basically just been sitting on the beach for an hour. We did swim just a tad to warm up and test out the water temperate (very comfortable), but other than that, just stood around and chatted with other races.
Swim
  • 38m 25s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was not very fun for me. I did ok, and am happy with my performance based on my level of training (not much), but as always, there is a lot of room for improvement. It started out all right - I seeded myself appropriately (in the BACK), so I didn't get bumped around at all, and I felt pretty strong. But maybe 300M in, when I got past the little protected cove area, the waves really picked up. I'm pretty sure it was due to the high wind. Every time I would breath to my right I had to turn waaaay back, so as not to get water in my mouth. Breathing to the left was fine though. I tried my best to stay on course, but I seemed to be way off the right always... even though I rounded the two far bouys perfectly, I was very far off the others. I couldn't figure that out, because I thought I'd been sighting pretty well, but when I'd really place myself I was definitely away from the main area. I was one of the last people out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Take swimming lessons, and train more
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

It's T1.
Bike
  • 2h 18m 27s
  • 43.3 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I have to start this section with a little (ok, long) rant. I'm a detail-oriented person, and this stuff bothers me. In my opinion, the race organizers did a very poor job of communicating the bike course info. The maps that they had on the website indicated different directions for the course, so I sent an email to the generic email address, and got back a response from a lady that said the loops were clockwise.
Then a few days before the race, the RD sent out an email saying the course was changed, and attached a new map, which clearly indicated clockwise loops, but then there was a note at the bottom that said "Kansas 50 racers will do the loops counter-clockwise." ok..... is it just me, or when you send out a "clarifying" email, shouldn't it be, uh... clear??? Honestly, until I actually reached the turn point - during the race - I wasn't sure which direction the course was going to go.

And every single map they used showed us taking Columbia Rd (a slight variation off the north end of Old KC road), which is gravel. But they didn't actually want us to turn there. Since there were no signs there either way, I think everybody just stayed on the paved road, which I guess works out in the end... but it bothers me that it's "the racer's responsibility" to know the course, but then they put incorrect maps out there. Not very professional, in my book. And that actually takes the course up to 43.3 miles. This is what my Cateye said, and I just mapped it out here on BT too (I'm very particular about my cycling metrics!), and whaddya know, it's exactly 43.3 miles. :P

Ok, one last thing: Since the last-minute change was apparently to the direction of the course, that means the lady that emailed me a couple weeks ago actually had given me the wrong information at the time. :(
Seriously, I am not impressed with this organization. But I suppose I should get over it, and actually write about my race! (Anyone still reading? I promise I'm not usually so negative!)

I tried really hard to do well on this bike. I felt strong from the beginning, and pushed myself, not slacking on any hills, keeping my cadence up, etc. I was doing really well, and had averaged 20.1 mph until we hit the south turn onto Old KC Road. That's when we hit the headwind. Despite this road being largely downhill, my average speed had fallen to 19.1 by the time we got back to Harmony Rd. I managed to work my way back up to 19.5 by the time I hit Old KC Road again, but that was it for me. The winds were just too strong. I don't know exactly how strong they were, but it felt very much like the day before (when it was 20 mph sustained). The worst part was Lake Road back to the park - I think I averaged maybe 13? for this section. It was miserable; I was so hot by then, and I'd run out of fluids a few miles back. There was only one water stop, that you would hit each loop, and when there two people there the first time around, I was able to pick up a water bottle, but on the second loop, there was only one kid - all alone, and I dropped the bottle as he handed it to me, and I wasn't going to stop. Poor kid, he must've been overwhelmed all by himself.

Race nutrition:
2 endurolytes & one GU at beginning of bike, then one endurolyte every half hour, and a GU every 45 min. Drank 1 gatorade and two bottles of water

hmmm... I wish it hadn't been so hot or windy, and that they'd had more people at the aid station... but those elements are kind of out of my hands! I wouldn't change anything about my personal ride - I put forth a solid effort, and am happy with my performance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

It's T2.
Run
  • 1h 59m 24s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really not looking forward to this run. It was pushing 100* by this point, and I was definitely feeling it. But I was going to finish! I left transition right behind a lady named Kristen that was racked next to me, and who I'd talked to before the race. She seemed to have a pace going similar to what I wanted to do, so I paced her for about a mile, then ended up passing her. Around 2.5 miles in, there was a short steep hill covered in rocks. I was like "I'm walking this sucker!" and then kept walking a little bit, and Kristen caught up and joined me. We kind of decided to run the rest of the race together then. She was a huge morale boost. We stopped at all the aid stations to dump ice down our tops and towards the end were stuffing it up our tri shorts as well to help the hammys (my left one was hurting the whole time).

The best thing about the run was that there were aid stations every mile, and the volunteers there were wonderful! But I was surprised and a little disappointed to see that all they had were water, HEED, ice, oranges, Endurolytes, and HammerGels. I am not a HEED fan, but made myself drink it the last few miles. I took 2 gels on this run, and ate a lot of oranges. I saw Lisa, Pete, and Ken from BT on the run course, and my other friends Casey & Kathy and Tri coach Ryan out on the run. It was always nice to see somebody - a distraction from the sufferfest. This run was really HARD - besides the miserable heat, my feet were killing me for the last four miles. I don't think I would have finished so well without Kristen's company - she was very positive & encouraging the whole time. As it was, there were only 143 finishers for this race, and when I had checked the registration list the night before the race, there were around 340 signed up. Yeah.

Not much I could do differently. I guess since I was still standing at the end, and feeling somewhat decent, that I could've pushed myself more, but I'd probably be regretting it now.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little, walked around, there wasn't very much to do. I talked to Kristen some more, and then cheered Lisa in. We all sat around under the tent and tried to cool off a little. I had a water and a turkey wrap and some chips. After a while, we just went and got our stuff, and walked back to the car. Pretty anti-climactic, really.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and wind

Event comments:

I think I've ranted enough about this race already - if you're interested read the whole race report.
There were a lot of things I'd change if I were running this race (start earlier, have more drinks for the bike (I heard they actually ran out on the second loop), have a little more variety @ aid stations on the run. But that being said, I think the main detractor of this race was the heat. And it's not like you can really control that, but the first week of August is pretty much always the hottest of the year here, so I guess it's to be expected. I had a fun time at the race, but mostly because I got to hang out with Lisa and Kristen.
I really like the distance of this race, and I expect it will go smoother next year (this is the inagural year after all), but I don't know if I'll do it again or not. Just too darn hot this time of year.

Last updated: 2009-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:25 | 1760 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/143
Performance: Below average
Suit: just tri top and shorts
Course: counter-clockwise rectange
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:18:27 | 43.3 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: out to the park entrance, east on Lake road to Harmony, then two loops clockwise around Harmony/Tontzville/Garder Rd/223rd/Old KC Rd/255th, then back to the park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:24 | 10 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Ultramax Kansas 50

2009-08-10 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2340319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Ultramax Kansas 50
Considering the conditions out there and the suffering everyone was going through it sounds like you had a very solid race. Congrats.

I agree on the anti-climatic-ness of the race, the same was true for the short course.
2009-08-11 9:59 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
You did so awesome! If only I could have kept up with you on the bike, we could have run together!

Thanks for hanging out with me for the weekend - twas fun!!
2009-08-12 1:16 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Great job on the race and nice bike split.

I couldn't agree with you more in the bike course info, drives me nuts...on one hand I tried to not let it bother me, these guys have a reputation of putting on good events and I'm sure it'll be well marked come race day.  But, that lack of attention to detail always makes me wonder what else they're missing.

Given a couple days of recovery I'm looking back at the race with more fondness, hopefully it fits in my schedule next year.
2009-08-12 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Olathe
It is nice to read more experienced althletes opinions of the race. This was my first one and other than wishing it was 30 degrees cooler the bike thing was my only gripe that was obvious to me. I did the sprint distance so I didn't have the long wait to get started and I am glad. I had enough nerves the way it was without adding a long wait to the mix. I "enjoyed" the race as my first, but not sure if I will do it again next year, mainly due to it will probably fall during our family vacation next summer.
2009-08-12 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job overcoming some challenges you couldn't do anything about and hanging in there for the race Linda! You did awesome.

2009-08-13 9:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ultramax Kansas 50 Rss Feed