Memphis, TN
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/140
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 0400 and had a bottle of water and a Snickers Marathon bar, got all my stuff together, got a shower, got dressed and headed out the door. Drank my Mountain Dew on the way to the race.....30 minute drive. Guess around this time, I should have seen the signs of what was the start of a bad day. Got about 5 miles away from the Hotel and realized that I had forgotten my wetsuit. Had to turn around and go back and get it.
Event warmup:

Finally get to the race, start to set up my transition area, and over the loud speaker, I hear...."Wetsuits are not legal for wear today, water temp is 80 degrees". Sumbitch, guess I didn't need to make that trip back to the hotel afterall. Continued setting up my area, went and spoke with Kristi (KSMITH), wished her luck then went back to my area to rest and do a little mental prep.
Swim
  • 29m 10s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was a time trial start, so that was new for me. Kinda liked it at first but shortly I realized that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I did. With the timetrial start they numbered you by what I think was the order in which you registered. With that said, there were numerous people that started a 100 or more spots in front of me that were back stroking, breast stroke and even dog-paddling...so avoiding them (read, swim right over them) was aggravating. Second sign of a day going bad...as I started, dove right in and off came the goggles...got them regrouped and was off...but with a time delay of course. Had trouble getting the HR down on the first segment, but hell, I hadn't done a swim workout in two weeks...definitely could see that one coming. Finally settled into my grove and was off and running people down. Navigation sucked...no better way to say it...I was all over the place.....surprisingly enough, I couldn't see the black lane line on the bottom of the lake....guess it was the murky waters. ;)
What would you do differently?:

swim straight line??? Was ahead of my goal time, guess I shouldn't complain too much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Normal fast walk through T1..I don't run, mainly to get the HR down and gather my wits and to make sure I don't forget anything during transition. Large Transition area to run through, but found my bike easily...actually my Mom was right there at my bike (her first race to watch), so I said hi to her as I changed into my bike gear and was off. The mount/dismount line was at the bottom of a ramp, so being in the right gear was very important. Had a little trouble getting clipped in, but not too bad....and was off on the ride.

Speed up, but I kinda like taking my time and relaxing a bit.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 52s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, what can I say??? I was flying....felt good, effort was pretty comfortable except for the hills, but overall very comfortable. Well, that is up to the point that my right hamstring started to act up. At first thought it was a cramp, so I just kept pushing thinking it would work itself out. This was around mile 15. About mile 20, it wasn't any better, so I stood up and tried to stretch and evidently this pissed it off. Very uncomfortable at this point, but I knew I was close to the finish, so I just kept pushing to get to the end and off the bike.

Nothing, this was by far my best ride ever. Well that is minus the hamstring pains, of course.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

just your typical T2, just tried to make it as smooth as I could. Could have gone faster...took a gel and was off. Overall T2 time is pretty good, just a long way to the exit. You have to run to the end of the racks, then do a U-turn outside of T2, then run the length of the transition area again to get to the timing mat/run start.

speed up a bit...
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to run and got about a 1/4 mile before deciding to shut it down. My legs felt good coming off the bike, well the quads..the hamstring was still an issue.

Finish?

this was a tough call. I hate the f-ing DNF but I tried to rationalize with myself, which is not an area I excel in, but had to decide if finishing this race was more important or was the HIM next month or chancing a longer injury that make kick me off-track in my IM Florida training. Could have finished (and maybe should have) but at what cost?

Hope I made the right decision, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my Transition area cleaned up and waited on Kristi to finish then I was off for the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right hamstring issue.

Event comments:

This was a great race....1500+ racers speaks for itself....only complaints were that the packet pick-up and race/expo was not clearly marked and was a bit confusing to find you way around. Of course, I asked the volunteers and they were more than happy to assist. I would definitely recommend this race to anyone!

Last updated: 2005-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:10 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 60/140
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
These are my times from my watch....official times will be posted later.
Suit: Cervelo Ego Tri-suit
Course: Triangular course (right turns) around Casper Lake.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:52 | 24.8 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 98/140
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: country roads and numerous turns, but very low traffic and evidently pretty damn fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/140
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-22 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: Memphis in May

2005-05-22 2:25 PM
in reply to: #161279

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Memphis in May
I'm so sorry you had a DNF Lane, but it sounds like you were wise, and made the best decision for the long term.  That takes a lot of mental strength. 

Congratulations on your incredible bike & swim. 
2005-05-22 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Lane, bummer about the leg!  But, you gotta be proud of that BIKE SPLIT!  Yeah, man, that was awesome!  Lane's representing for Team Felt.  Tell John to put that in his Cervelo pipe and smoke it!

You should get that wheel checked out and see what it is you did to it.  I've heard massage therapy will speed up the healing of pulled muscles.

I also hope to be joining you guys next year at MIM.  It will be on my calendar in 2006.

2005-05-22 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Glad you listened to your body Lane.  It was a tough decision, but the right one!  Way to go...  
2005-05-22 5:40 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Bummer, Lane.  Has it ever acted up before?

If it makes you feel better, you would have kicked my arse with a bike split like that...

2005-05-22 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Lane,

Speaking as a girl who has had a horrible hamstring injury (I of course got mine while I was drunk doing splits at a Halloween party) I totally understand your decision. And if anyone gives you sh*t, send them to me my hamstrings are working fine now and I know how to kick some butt. But I think you made the right one. You'll kick butt in the HIM and live to tri another day. You rock babe. And Geez were you on a bike or a freakin' rocket???? Great bike time man.

2005-05-22 10:39 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Definitely hard to DNF, but I think you were smart to think about the rest of the season. My rule is, if you seriously think pushing through a painful situation is a bad idea....then stop! Looks like you were flying before that though.

Hope you get your hamstring recovered and back on track.
2005-05-22 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

A tough call, but probably the right one.  Hammy's can be a real pain.  I remember pulling one in the summer of '91, and not really getting completely over it until May of '92.  I raced through '91 with the bad hammy, and I think that's why it took so long to feel better.

Sometimes we have to make sacrifices in the short run for a more important goal in the long run.  Take care of that baby.  Don't crazy stretching it, that sometimes can make it worse.  I would talk to a good sports massage therapist.

Good luck!

2005-05-23 6:21 AM

, Alabama

Lane, sometimes it takes more guts to throw in the towel than try to work thru it.  It's never an easy decision, but if you were hurting, you could've saved yourself months of frustration (and pain) by hanging it up.   Incredible bike leg though!

Sharon

2005-05-23 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Thanks to all for the notes and well wishes.....a day later, I am still pissed, but the pain is still lingering, so "maybe" I did make the right decision.  Sure as heck doesn't feel like it.  Thanks again to all.  You guys rock!
2005-05-25 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Just updating the times with the "official" results.   60 of 140 on the swim....I will take it!  Bike speed dropped to 20.7, but again, I will take it, but was 98 or 140....some damn fast dudes in my AG.  And well, you already know about the DNF due to the run....

Edited by Cavu9 2005-05-25 3:57 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Rss Feed