Canada
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 22m 27s
Overall Rank = 337/907
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early. Showered and had a couple of pieces of toast with peanut butter. Lots of water. The went and picked up Darren and drove to Timmy's for a cafe.
Drank coffee en route, then had a gel at the car before we headed off to the race grounds.

Didn't get much (read: barely any) sleep the night before. Too hot and humid in the house, with thunderclouds booming overhead.
Event warmup:

Bugger-all, really. Wandered around and chatted.
Run
  • 4h 22m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Screwed up big time today. After training with Darren for so long, I wanted to run with him today for as long as I could so we could enjoy the course together. Unfortunately, our first mile was done in 7 minutes. Mile 2 was in 7:20 with a walk break in there. By 2.5 I told him there was no way I could keep this up and fell back, but the damage was already done. I should have listened to you, Rick.

I had a 3:45 pace band on one wrist and a 4:00 pace band on the other. I was well ahead of pace for 3:45 for about 7 miles. By 9, I was pretty much at pace, but I was flagging badly.

I was running 10:1s to start, but at mile 10 I started walking for 30 seconds at the 5 minute mark as well as the 1 minute walk at 10. By the time I was 1/2 way down (13.1), I was down to only 2 minutes ahead of my 4 hour pace, and I could see there wasn't going to be much of a chance of hitting that. My legs were already toast, and the place was really turning into a furnace by then.

By 18, I was pretty much toast. I was looking lovingly at the discreet little exits at the aid stations pretty carefully. Just drive me to the finish line, forchrissakes! At this point, I was doing my 5:30s, 10:1s, AND walking the water stations. Pace had gone to hell and was not coming back.

By mile 20, I knew I was going to make it. I was tired, my legs were shot, and I was SO hot, but there was NO way I was going to quit with only 10k to go.

I was really carefull how I answered the first aid responders out there. They were picking people off the course right and left. I got pretty dizzy and queasy a couple of times, but I was lucky that it wasn't around them either time. Whenever they asked how I was doing it was a big smile and a thumbs up. You couldn't drag my rotting corpse off the course by this point!

By 23 I was walking almost as much as I was running. I was hydrating really well, and had the volunteers fill my water bottle right up at just about every stop. The ice and the showers were straight from God.

At 24, I was at the foot of the last hill and was sitting at 3:58 for time. I thought I might be able to push out a couple of 8 minuters and at least salvage a 4:15, but alas, a pair of 11s was the best I could muster. The sun was pounding me like a jackhammer at this point, and I could only manage about 3 or 4 minutes of running to a minute of walking. Just nothing left in the tank. Oh well.

Mile 26: heading into the stadium for the last 1/2 lap around the track. Thank God! I walked a good stretch coming up to the stadium so I was sure that I could run all the way inside the stadium. Nothing would have been worse than having to walk on the track. Anyways, I needn't have worried. Once I got in and heard the crowd I got a huge boost. When I saw my whole family in the stands cheering and waving, I just gave'r snot. I gave them a big wave and a smile, then turned on the burners for the last 200 yards. My right calf promptly seized, my foot rolled on the side of the track, and I was nearly on my ass in front of the crowd! Yeesh! Managed to reclaim my balance and fire down the chute at a slightly more respectable pace.

Got my lovely little finishers medal, my T-shirt, and went and found my friends for a race-breakdown.
What would you do differently?:

Start SLOWER! SO stupid to have gone balls-deep right off the hop.
Try to find some hot weather to train in.
Sleep the night before.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and walked. If I sat, I don't think Ida gotten back up. Went to the Pancake House for grub, finally.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and my lack of training in it. Other than that, just my stupidity, really.

Event comments:

Why do they run out of popsicles for the full marathoners? I mean, there's 1/3 as many as the 1/2ers, go buy 1000 popsicles and stick them in a freezer til the fulls get in. Also, there were massages for the 1/2, but there was nothing for the full. I was a little choked with that. Otherwise, great race and organization.

Also, I learned a valuable lesson that I'm not soon to forget: Run your own race!!! I will definitely be starting slow and building next time.

All in all, although I was pretty disapointed with my time, I'm pretty pleased to have finished my first marathon. It was mentally and physically exhausting, and I'm pretty proud I was able to suck it up and stay the course. On such a hot day, I'm pretty pleased I managed to finish in the top 43%ile too, so I guess things could definitely have been worse.
I'll know better next time!

Last updated: 2005-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
04:22:27 | 26.2 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 337/907
Performance: Below average
Course: HOT and HUMID. I believe the old humidex was set at around 35 degrees for the last hour and a half or so. The course itself was good though, with water and aid stations every couple of miles, and several showers and ice stations along the way, too.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-19 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis
Subject: The Manitoba Marathon

2005-06-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: #178321

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: The Manitoba Marathon

Awesome job Grant!!  You pulled from deep inside and finished that race! You should be proud of yourself for that!! 

I told you to come here and train in the heat!!   Maybe next time you'll listen to me!!

2005-06-19 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Grant - you should be damned proud of your effort.  That's an awesome performance in less-than-ideal conditions...you have everything to be thankful for, and a great performance to boot.  And on Father's Day.  Nice. 

2005-06-19 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Awesome work Grant.  I hope you're as proud of yourself as I am.  How awesome must that have been to see your family cheering for you at the end. 

Awesome...just Awesome!!

2005-06-19 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Marathons are wiley devils...it's either your day or it isn't

GREAT job sticking through to the end!  You will get 'er next time!

2005-06-19 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Grant, great job hanging in there during a tough race. And now you are a marathoner! Congrats! Enjoy your accomplishment.

2005-06-19 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Grant it was so hot out there today - you did amazing in this heat!!!  I know you did not get your goal time, but after waiting months for summer who knew it would come this weekend??

Sorry I missed you - I was looking at the first relay exchange zone, but the crowds of people... missed Jo too.  Glad that the family was there to cheer you on at the end, nothing like coming around that track (and stumbling in front of a crowd of thousands) to be crowned a MARATHONER!!!  Way to work Grant - you took your plan for the 1/2 and turned it into a whole marathon. So proud!!

2005-06-20 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

You did it, coffee cake!!! I'm so proud of ya!!!

That is truly nasty about the heat...since when is it 35 degrees in Manitoba in June??  You did so well to finish...I'm sure so many people didn't.  You're a toughie!!

Rest up and bask in the glory that you're a MARATHON FINISHER!!!!!!

2005-06-20 8:38 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
you rock! that is so awesome! i was thinking of you yesterday when it started to heat up in duluth. grandma's marathon was saturday (i did the half) and it was pretty hot there too. there was a guy who ran grandma's saturday and then was supposed to be driving north to do manitoba yesterday! an ultra-marathoner, so i guess two marathons in a row was no big deal. yikes! congratulations!
2005-06-20 8:56 AM

Master
Boston

Wow, Grant. Awesome race report- I really enjoyed reading the details of your marathon. I hope you're feeling good today and not too sore or exhausted. That really stinks about how hot and humid it was - I can barely frun 3 miles in that kind of weather, much less 26.2!!!

So, how much time are you taking off to recover? I'm so happy for you!!! Again, a huge congratulations on finishing your first marathon.

2005-06-20 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis

Thanks for the words, everyone. I knew you guys would have roasted me here if I DNFed, so you very much helped me find the end of that course!

Lisa: not sure how long I'll take off... walked today and I'm thinking for going for a short 1/2 hour jog tomorrow, but that's pretty much on a day-to-day decision right now. There <b>is</b> a sprint tri coming up this weekend, tho... who knows?

2005-06-20 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Way to go GRANT!!!!  Dont get down about your time. You really did great, trained long and hard. First marathons are for learning and survivng!! Gosh, and the HEAT!! even hot for us cape cahders!!!

now is the time for storytelling, enjoying the moment, recovery, rediscovering the fam and then....a few small jogs to help loosen up.

again...congratualtions grant!!!
2005-06-20 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Congratulations on your first marathon!!!! You so rock! What's with that place you live in though? It's either freezing cold or blistering hot! Your time is better than my PB for a marathon so I'm very proud of!
2005-06-20 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Grant,

Congratulations Marathoner!!!!!!!!! Your first race looks a lot like mine. We have to run together. I think we can pick one another up. Remember, no one can ever take this away from you. This is a huge life-time acomplishment - you da man! 26.2 in 4:22 is very strong - most of the population couldn't do this. I am proud of you marathoner!

Be good.

tony
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Manitoba Marathon Rss Feed