Set-Up, Inc.
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 2:15am after falling asleep at midnight. Left at 3am for the drive. I slept a bit since I got hardly any rest, when we got there the gates weren't even open! It was 4:40am and the police had to move their cars so we could park. But we got a prime spot! I sat in the car and ate my PBJ and drank my iced coffee then visited the porta potty before we unloaded and set up transition. Since we were so friggin early we really took our time and walked around, chatted with people, checked out the lake (beautiful!) before grabbing our stuff to head back to the lake for the start.
Event warmup:

Wetsuit on, jumped in the water to get acclimated.
Swim
  • 47m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt great at the start, I had no nerves and I was feeling great, then all of a sudden I start hyperventilated like at Pinehurst, wtf! After about 5 minutes of trying to calm my breath I try to close my eyes when my face is in the water (I do this when I practice because I do NOT wan to see what's in the water at Jordan lake) and sure enough I am able to control my breathing. Maybe seeing underwater was throwing me off? Who knows but I need to work on this! The rest of the swim was cake. My arms did get a bit tired but nothing I couldn't push through.
What would you do differently?:

Um close my eyes from the start? I dunno I have had perfect OWS the past month. Maybe delayed anxiety?
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Rinsed the feet off because the grass would have driven me nuts!

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 13m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Finally I am getting better on the bike. I need to keep up whatever I am doing because I felt awesome today! It may have to do with my perpetuem cocktail; orange vanilla perp, 2 orange hammer gels and 10 servings of endurolyte, every 5 miles I took 2 sips and chased with water...I had energy the entire ride...even the last 16 miles or so when the sun came out I was still feeling great!

Get a bike fit or a new saddle, I was having some comfort issues, maybe it's time to break down and buy a tri bike?
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Nothing special, took my time dismounting because I knew I had to get my bearings or I would topple.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 11m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My quads felt tight for the first couple miles but loosened up. Thank goodness for the port potties at each mile or I would have died. Pee break at the first mile and then had some GI issues that I think were just heat related so I visited a couple more times. After mile 5 I felt better, I still felt like I was shuffling but at least I didn't feel the need to stop. I took water and a cold towel at each stop. About midway through I broke into my Fig Newtons I stashed in my top, I pretty much ran with it open for 2 miles just taking bites off as I could. I could not fathom the idea of having a gel with that heat, plus every time I thought to grab one I only saw banana and chocolate..gag! The newtons saved me again! The last two miles were the toughest for me, I was mentally breaking down even though I only had at most 20 minutes left of this race. I had to muster every bit of energy and willpower to not walk during those last 2 miles. At the last aid station I looked for any food item that would give me some sort of energy and went with pretzels of all things, which totally did not work because I already had cotton mouth-duh! Finally, the light at the end of the tunnel, someone said I had only 2 blocks left! Somehow I was able to get myself together and make a decent effort at a finish. I saw Janelle and Jon and then I saw the finish...oh sweet, glorious finish line! I had a huge smile on my face...no jazz hands because I didn't even see the photographer, but have no fear I did break them out during one of the (early) run photos.

Um...heat training?
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a bottle of water and a bag of cookies because I knew I was going to feel very sick otherwise. I walked back to see Janelle and Jon, we chatted a bit then I went to transition to change shoes and use the porta potty again. I started feeling off so I walked back to the food area, grabbed another bottle of water and some Doritos, maybe I needed salt not sugar? I inhaled the chips and sat in the shade for the bit, I had a good spot so I could see people coming in and I was hoping Scottie wasn't far behind. I thought about jumping in the lake (something I was dreaming about on the run) but I was getting cold, probably due to dehydrated and the sunburn on my back I later discovered. Sitting here typing, I wish I would have stretched more because I am already really tight!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The crappy swim start for me and the heat, my god the heat! I think I am just not used to running in the heat yet, I did long distance runs in August last year and was fine but I just don't think I am used to it yet this year.

Event comments:

Good race, mentally tough due to a boring bike course and the crappy run. The lake is really beautiful especially in the morning before everything starts. The race shirt was kinda crappy, it was red and hard to read the writing, I would have loved a nice blue/green/grey shirt to match the serenity of the lake :) Though the socks were better then Pinehurst...such a diva I am!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:16 | 2112 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full wetuit
Course: Triangular with bouys that were way off course.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:13:46 | 56 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: One big loop with a little out and back added near the end.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:20 | 13.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Sucky! Out and back, no shade, hated it!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-01 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: White Lake Half

2010-05-01 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2830763

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
Let me be the first to say here, Awesome! I am sure those last two miles of the run to a lot of fortitude. Thrilled to hear you are becoming one with the bike. Rest up you derserve it!
2010-05-01 10:30 PM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC

WoW, Great Job Jen! awesome run despite the heat.

oh yea, its def tri bike time You deserve it! 

2010-05-02 5:10 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
That's an awesome time for your first half iron in those conditions! And your run time is super...I can't believe you made several pee breaks within that time. Congrats!
2010-05-02 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
wow nice HIM debut Jenn. Great effort under that sun. I look forward to you posting the jazz hands pic.
2010-05-02 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Awesome job, and great that you could encourage Scottie as well. You should be pretty proud of your days work!!

2010-05-02 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Good race and nice write-up.

I am thinking about coming to White Lake in the September for the Olympic Race.

Kevin
2010-05-02 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Good report Jen.  Way to get that bike done and really with a fine time.  You gave me something to think about with the spray SPF, so thanks.  Proud of you and Scottie, first HALF!
2010-05-03 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Great race, Jen! I hope you're resting and loosening up well! And I agree with Alan, go for the tri bike!

2010-05-03 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Great job Jen.  You crushed my time at white lake.  The heat is what makes this race such a challenge.  You spend from January through April training in the cold and then, without fail, May 1st is 90 degrees everytime!  Such a killer on the run with no shade.  You did fantastic.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed