St. George, Utah
United States
WTC
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at 6PM, in hopes of getting plenty of sleep for the event. I knew (or thought) it would be an all-nighter. Fell asleep quick, but woke up at midnight and couldn't get rid of the nerves. Around 2AM, I decided to just stay up and eat my breakfast, which consisted of 4 slices of leftover pizza that I had for dinner the night before.
Event warmup:

Got on a very early bus, so I had everything set and ready to go quite early. Spent most of the morning in the changing tent chatting it up with Robin and Kim while we waited for the start. Took my time putting on my wetsuit and making sure it fit perfectly before jumping in.
Swim
  • 1h 39m
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is what I feared more than anything. The swim. I was so scared of the cold water. I don't take cold temps very well, and it was bad enough that I was nervous about doing my first full Ironman. I heard the cannon go off, and I wasn't even in the water yet! I was way in the back, and spent a couple minutes just walking into the water and getting ready for the swim, while most of the athletes were already on their way. Oddly enough, I adjusted to the cold water quite well. After about 5 minutes of swimming, I wasn't even cold any more. I was shocked at how well I was doing, and even more surprised at how many people I kept passing. I was really feeling confident at this point, and felt great when I made it to the boat ramp. I told myself all morning that if I could just get through the cold swim, everything would be ok. I made it, and I was really excited!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Swim was perfect!
Transition 1
  • 13m 58s
Comments:

T1 was a bit slow, but I knew the outside temps were still pretty low and didn't want to freeze on the bike. I made it to the change tent, stripped down, dried off and changed into my dry cycling clothes. The feeling in my hands and feet came back quite quickly. I noticed a lot of women shaking uncontrollably from the cold water, and I was again shocked at how well I handled the cold swim. I guess my chunky figure finally gave me an advantage.

Nothing
Bike
  • 00m
  • 112 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Funny enough, this is where I was most confident. I drove the course the day before, and I thought I was ready to take this on. I trained on as many hills as I could find back home in Phoenix. Every weekend since October I had been driving 50 miles out of my way to ride my bike on hills. The first 22 miles was nothing. I handled the hills well. The first loop also wasn't too bad. It was definitely difficult, especially the "Veyo Wall", but I refused to dismount my bike and walk it up any hills, so on the bike I remained. It was a slow climb, but I still made it. The first downhill portion on the loop had me cruising at 42 mph. I still felt confident about making the cutoff time, because I thought I'd be making up time on the downhill portion. I still felt great! Then came the second loop. The wind started to pick up, and hill after hill I found myself getting more slow and more tired. The wind got so strong, one of the street barricade signs when flying across the street and blocked me. I had to hit the brakes and let some volunteers move it out of the way so I could continue. I hit the "Veyo Wall" again and still found the strength to slowly climb it, although I could tell I was moving much slower. I started to worry about cutoff times again, but still thought I'd make it with that downhill section. The last hill let me know just how tired I was. I could barely move. I even started talking to myself, telling myself that I could do this. By the time I got to the second loop downhill section, the wind was really taking off. I thought I could cruise at 42 mph again and make up time, but I was wrong. The wind was so strong, it nearly sent me flying off my bike on a couple occassions. It felt like it was hitting me in all directions. I had to hit the brakes and slow it down to around 25 mph. I made it to T2, and I could tell I was about to receive some bad news, judging by the looks on the volunteers' faces. I tried to hold back my tears, but when the race official told me he was going to remove my timing chip, I couldn't hold it in any more. I lost control and started sobbing. I collected my bags and walked back to my hotel, while people congratulated me on finishing, obviously not aware that I had no finisher's medal around my neck. I went back to my room, cried some more, showered, and decided to go to the finish line and look for Kim, Dean, Robin, Jen and Josh so I could cheer them through (although I think by the time I got out there, Dean may have already finished). I stood by for about 30 minutes, but I couldn't do it any more. I hate crying in public, and every time I heard Mike Reilly say, "You are an Ironman!" I would start to tear up again. I decided to take myself out to dinner and end the night in my hotel room devouring a pint of chocolate ice cream in bed.

All I could do differently for this course is to train harder, which is hard for me to do with a full-time and part-time job. There are no hills at all in my neighborhood, so my only hill training was done on Saturdays and/or Sundays. As much as I hate to admit it, the truth of the matter is this course was simply too big for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of time to train on the proper terrain, due to stupid jobs that I need in order to pay bills.

Event comments:

Well organized, beautiful location, and a great challenge for those who are a little more experienced.

Last updated: 2009-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:39:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Cold!
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 112 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Hilly
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-04 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: Ironman St. George - Utah

2010-05-04 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2837328

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah
Thanks for writing this. It sounds lke such a brutal course! I've seen your training logs before, but I never knew you had 2 jobs. Don't give up on IM. You have this in you.
2010-05-04 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Sorry to hear about you're day.  Again, if its any consolation I dnf'ed as well.  When people congratulated me, I cried too.  Just channel it for the next one.

2010-05-04 11:15 PM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
You trained hard and left it all out there. Sucks this day didn't turn out as you hoped but you will get there.
2010-05-04 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ

Aww Adela. How many people have the courage to get out there and do something like this. Not many, NOT ME. You tackled a challenging course and gave it everything you had. You have to proud of your effort and know that on this day it wasn't to be. There will be other days and you will be an ironman! Look forward to meeting you at some AZ events in the future!

2010-05-04 11:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Adela, I was sending positive vibes your way all afternoon on Sat. I was following at home and I kept saying please post her bike split. It never came. I was thinking about you and the disappointment you must have felt. But you know what, when you do become an Ironman, it will be that much sweeter because of this experience. Please do not give up on this dream. Crossing that finish line is one of the more satisfying things you will ever do.

2010-05-05 1:43 AM

hey, keep your chin up.   It takes a lot of courage and dedication to train for and complete in an Ironman.  The St. George course is very difficult -- probably one of the most difficult in the country.  The cycling leg of most courses usually don't include that type of climbing.  I've ridden that course before and just doing the cycling portion of that is tough -- and cycling is my specialty.  I'm a Utah local and "The Wall" is legendary here.  The winds certainly don't help.  Congrats on trying your first Ironman.  
2010-05-05 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2837617

User image

Regular
Tempe
I'm so happy that you are staying positive and looking forward to IMAZ 2011.  You'll be surprised how much fun that day is going to be compared to IMSG.  Fantastic effort!
2010-05-05 11:36 AM

Pro
AZ
Sorry that your day didn't turn out like you hoped it would.  You trained hard and gave it all you had. That's all you can ask for!! Just channel your emotions into training for the next one! You can do it!!!
2010-05-05 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
You trained you A$$ off.  I think you deserved to cross that finish line, but the cards did not fall that way for you on that day.  I know it will be even sweeter for you when you do get what you deserve!
2010-05-05 5:56 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
This was a tough course...anyone who suggests otherwise is full of it...and a lot of people struggled with it (it kicked my butt, big time).  No shame in a DNF, in any case:  Getting to the starting line with confidence is a huge achievement in itself--esp. with your time constraints--and you'll have other opportunities.  Thanks so much for sharing your experience!  Wish we'd had a chance to have a BT meetup in St. George...hope to see you out on another course in the future.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman St. George - Utah Rss Feed