General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing yourself for a DNF SUCKS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-13 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: Preparing yourself for a DNF SUCKS
My 1st tri of the season is next week, Black Bear, this is not my A race this year, more like a B or C, but none-the-less a race I planned to be competitive in.  Beginning last week, my left knee (patellar tendon) started bothering me and now has swollen up to the size of a golfball over the past few days! I am going to see my Dr. today, but at this point is is extremely painful to walk on, forget about running.  I had the same injury in my right knee late last year and it took over a month to heal. 

This tri does not do deferrals, so at the minimum, I will do the swim, do what I can on the bike course and take a DNF if needed. I will not even attempt the run if I feel the way I do today. 

Has anyone gone into a race knowing their chances of finishing were slim?  Aside from coming to terms with a possible DNF, what is the best way to approach this? 

I'm bummed, any thoughts/advice would be great!

2010-05-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2855953

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Preparing yourself for a DNF SUCKS
Honestly, I wouldn't even start. If the race were somewhat local and I had friends doing the race, I'd volunteer.

If the injury takes that long to heal, I wouldn't want to screw it up more by riding 56 miles.

2010-05-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2855970

User image

Champion
if i had a knee issue i would not bike.

but i did have a stress fracture two years ago in my shin and did 4 early season races as jsut the swim/bike, dropped out after the bike and then helped at an aid station until the race was over.

for me it was good practice racing. didn't really bother me all that much to tell you the truth.

in your shoes right now, if anything i would do the swim and then call it a day. you have a golf ball on your knee, thats not normal. maybe try figuring out what you did in the first place?
2010-05-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2855970

User image

Expert
NW NJ
running2far - 2010-05-13 10:24 AM Honestly, I wouldn't even start. If the race were somewhat local and I had friends doing the race, I'd volunteer. If the injury takes that long to heal, I wouldn't want to screw it up more by riding 56 miles.

It's an Oly.  I will at least do the swim to get an OWS in.  I have no problem swimming.  It generally doesn't bother me on the bike either, it is a running injury and that is where it gives me the most problem. 

Having this injury before I know exactly what caused it.  I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and without my bike or a swimable pool I unwisely ramped up my running volume during the trip and skipped most of my post run stretching. No question that was the cause.  I'm the only A-hole who gets an overuse injury on vacation!   

I'm not the kind of person to call the $130 entry fee a total loss, so I will get something out of it. I thought about voulenteering after I drop out.  I will talk to the RD about that. 

Edited by mchubri` 2010-05-13 9:32 AM
2010-05-13 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2855987

User image

Elite
newbz - 2010-05-13 10:27 AM if i had a knee issue i would not bike. but i did have a stress fracture two years ago in my shin and did 4 early season races as jsut the swim/bike, dropped out after the bike and then helped at an aid station until the race was over. for me it was good practice racing. didn't really bother me all that much to tell you the truth. in your shoes right now, if anything i would do the swim and then call it a day. you have a golf ball on your knee, thats not normal. maybe try figuring out what you did in the first place?

^^^

B or C race, nothing to prove, why chance it?  No reason to risk (further) injury just to finish an unimportant race in a disappointing time.
2010-05-13 10:02 AM

User image

Write the RD of the race and explain. The absolute worst they can say is no changes, no refunds. Every now and again they'll let you shift to the next year or do another one of their races of the same distance. Just tell them what happened.

I wouldn't even start with that kind of medical issue going on.

2010-05-13 10:10 AM

User image

Master
I had to have back surgery and missed every race of the year. First couple was pre surgery and I swam in some, others I just watched. There is always another race and another year, really wasn't a big deal
2010-05-13 12:08 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Just a thought, but if the doc OK's it, I'd consider walking the run--only six miles and change. Just me, but I've never DNF'd (sound of knocking on wood), and it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Some of my favorite scenes from Kona are people sucking it up and walking the run instead of taking the DNF.

Edited by zed707 2010-05-13 12:09 PM
2010-05-13 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2856600

User image

zed707 - 2010-05-13 8:08 AM

Just a thought, but if the doc OK's it, I'd consider walking the run--only six miles and change. Just me, but I've never DNF'd (sound of knocking on wood), and it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Some of my favorite scenes from Kona are people sucking it up and walking the run instead of taking the DNF.

For a race like Kona...which to many is the A race of your life...yes...walk, and do what you gotta do.  But for a season's B or C race...that's different.  The OP suggested a one month recovery time...which means this season is still salvageable.  Why end risk ending your season by pushing through a B or C race.

To each his own...=)
2010-05-13 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2856629

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Like others have said, for a B or C race, I wouldn't take the time to get up at 4 am, pack all the equipment, set up, etc...  Especially if there is a chance I could put the rest of my season in jeapordy.

An "A" race, I get it.  But not this one.  Just me I guess.  However, I have never missed a race, but never have been in that position either.  I have been healthy, thank goodness.

2010-05-13 12:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Yeah..I sort of agree with "why even go?". And trust me, my whole mantra in life is "Never Quit".

But look at it this way: The $130 is a sunk cost, so forget about it (not a bad idea to write the RD though..as you never know, but doubtful you will get a deferral as the race is not sold out. If they had a waiting list, you might have a shot). And assuming you have to travel, you are going to incur even more costs with hotel, dinner, etc.

Sometiimes it just isnt in the cards, and you have to accept that and fight another day. What if you attempt the bike and screw it up even more? (and let's be honest...some bike courses you might be able to get away with a tender knee...this isnt one of them given the hills). So...Why potentially screw up your whole season just to squeak out this race?

There is a line between HTFU and stupidity. I always try to stay on the right side of it

2010-05-13 12:40 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk for a race other than an "A" race.  It's just not worth the chance that something goes wrong and you hurt yourself more.
2010-05-13 12:43 PM

User image

Master
I went into a race 3 years ago with a back injury thinking I'd have to DNF the run. I downgraded from the OLY to the sprint as well. I can't say it was a great feeling, but I was ok with knowing it was better than nothing. Luckily I was able to walk the run (but it doesn't sound like that would be a good idea for you).

I agree with the other posters about doing whatever portion of the race you can do w/out agitating the injury further.  A DNF is better than a DNS and still more than what 99% of the rest of the country will do that day. 

You could look at it as a dress rehearsal for more important races and work on an OWS or transition aspect in a race-like atmosphere.

I know it sucks. Especially leaving the course when others are still going and you think everyone else is looking at you like you're a wuss.  They aren't walking in your shoes though. Screw what anyone else thinks.

2010-05-13 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2856629

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

tri808 - 2010-05-13 12:21 PM
zed707 - 2010-05-13 8:08 AM

For a race like Kona...which to many is the A race of your life...yes...walk, and do what you gotta do.  But for a season's B or C race...that's different.  The OP suggested a one month recovery time...which means this season is still salvageable.  Why end risk ending your season by pushing through a B or C race.

To each his own...=)

2010-05-13 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I wouldn't bother if I didn't thought I would DNF.  If it was changing an "A" Race to a "B" race knowing I just wasn't going to go all out for some reason, that I would do.  But if I didn't think I could finish all 3 legs I would stay home.  Not to mention, why rish a more severe injury.
2010-05-13 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It really sucks, sorry to hear this.  A good friend has been working his butt off and is in the same deal as you...can swim fine and get by on the bike but he will probably DNF there.  He's extremely conpetitive as well, really sucks for him.

2010-05-13 1:17 PM

I pulled a back muscle a few weeks before my last sprint. I should've just watched, but instead I did it anyway. I walked most of the run. I'm almost healed now.

I'd sit back and cheer my friends on.
2010-05-13 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran

I've been in the exact same position that you're in.   I went into my last 1/2 marathon planning not to finish.  And indeed it sucks.

But here's what worked for me. 

If you did not plan on finishing, I wouldn't consider it a DNF.  You simply met your goals for the day.

I also wouldn't really think of it as a race.  If you're not racing, then it's just a very social training day.  Focus on the training and social aspects of the race.

And I very deliberately left my timing chip at home.  With no recorded times, it took a lot of the pressure off.
2010-05-13 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Yeah.  I blew up my hamstring in a fall three weeks before my first IM.  Could barely walk.  Three days before the race I tried a run and it locked up after two miles.  I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to finish.  Rested it as much as I could and decided to give it a 'go.'  Swim was okay--my kick was a little limited, but not that bad.  Had to wrap the thigh with an ACE bandage in T1 to be able to ride...that went okay, too.  "Run" was miserable, though.  Injury flared up at about 10K in...I walked it in to the end of the first of three loops and wrapped the hell out of it with athletic tape.  Was able to run on it for another 6 miles, then the whole leg went out...totally locked up.  Couldn't even shuffle, just walk stiff-legged.  Really thought hard about DNF at the end of 2nd loop, but decided to keep walking...that was a very long 8.7 miles.  Had to pretty much not run at all for three weeks afterwards and took about 8 weeks of rehab to get the hammie right. 

In your case, you should be guided by your doctor.  If the doc feels you aren't going to do long term damage by walking the run in the race, you might want to give it a shot.  Perhaps try one of the "Cho-Pat" strap type products if it doesn't irritate the swollen area (I've had success with a knee strap for runner's knee, fwiw.)  If you have to drop out, drop out--you paid to be on the course, so there's no reason not to be there...other than that, I can tell you, it can get depressing out there hurt and walking, but for 6.2 miles total, I'd try it if the doc okays it.

Good luck with your decision.

2010-05-13 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Any chance you you change your registration over to a relay? (Assuming you have a friend or 2 prepared to do the bike and run)
2010-05-13 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2857164

User image

Expert
NW NJ
ToeKnail - 2010-05-13 3:47 PM Any chance you you change your registration over to a relay? (Assuming you have a friend or 2 prepared to do the bike and run)

2010-05-13 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2857164

User image

Expert
NW NJ
ToeKnail - 2010-05-13 3:47 PM Any chance you you change your registration over to a relay? (Assuming you have a friend or 2 prepared to do the bike and run)

I thought about this option. 

Thank you everyone for your advice.  Met with my Dr. this afternoon.  It is not a tear, partial tear, or fracture of any type, it's an ...itis, which basically = annoyance, inflamation, swolen.  I return to PT next monday, will follow her advice and will play it by ear when I get to the weekend.  I have already ruled out this being a "race" and will absolutely not run. If I can walk the 6.2 it to get the finishers medal with no issues, I will most likely do so. If I bail after the swim, or 2 mikes into the bike and DNF, I'm fine with it.  I won't do anything stupid at this point in the season.  I know enouf not to work through pain.  Doc says if it hurts, your making it worse, if it doesn't you are probably ok.

However, I will show up, and I will swim at the bare minimum, volunteer afterwards if I'm wanted. The excitement of the seasons 1st race is too much to call it a wash and not show up.  At least I can get a start line adrenaline rush out of it! 

-B

Edited by mchubri` 2010-05-13 3:51 PM
2010-05-13 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2857046

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
mrcurtain - 2010-05-13 8:06 PM
I've been in the exact same position that you're in.   I went into my last 1/2 marathon planning not to finish.  And indeed it sucks.

But here's what worked for me. 

If you did not plan on finishing, I wouldn't consider it a DNF.  You simply met your goals for the day.

I also wouldn't really think of it as a race.  If you're not racing, then it's just a very social training day.  Focus on the training and social aspects of the race.

I second this, your not racing, its just a training session, enjoy the ows and the mass start and if you can bike ok from experience of the injury, then ride too but bail on the run, as you know this is what caused it and will make it worse, i dont recomme3nd walking 6 miles as you will be tempted to try to run it, enjoy the swim and bike, have fun

And I very deliberately left my timing chip at home.  With no recorded times, it took a lot of the pressure off.
2010-05-13 4:22 PM

I am in the exact same shoes this weekend.  I will swim and bike my first tri of the season and then take the walk of shame back to my car.  It sucks.  I have absolutely no advice for you.  But just know there are probably many of us doing the same thing this weekend to protect the success of a bigger race later on.  Good luck to you!
2010-05-13 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2857496

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
I think a Did Not Finish beats a Did Not Start.

If you can participate at all without making things worse go for it. Don't do it if you will be risking future events or fitness.

Myself I think I'll be lucky if I can even ENTER any races this summer.  If I had already paid for one it would take a hell of a lot to keep me from trying.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing yourself for a DNF SUCKS Rss Feed  

of 2