Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-06-10 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2913728

User image

Elite
Denver
Subject: RE: Bye bye Big 12

I HAVE to post this. A friend of mine just wrote up this "screen play" on facebook. Cracked me up.

Nebraska: so I am going to hangout with those guys... 
Colorado: oh...oh really? Well umm I guess I will leave with those guys on the west coast.
Nebraska: ok
Colorado: I hate you
Nebraska: you weren't good enough anyway

Colorado: You left some stuff at my place. I'll leave the door open so you can come get it.

Iowa State: (woke up from it's hangover)
What's going on guys? Where is Nebraska?!
Texas: they took off! They went to the Big Ten and Colorado went to the Pac 10.
Iowa State: well at least the rest of the fam is together! Now I can whoop up on the North!
Texas: ummm we are leaving too. And we are taking Texas Tech
Iowa State: but...but why?! Is it me? I can change!!! I really can I can be good at football! I was good last year!
Texas: it's not you.... Well it kinda is. We had this planned like two months ago. Don't you remember? 
Iowa State: no dude I was doing Meth
Texas: we figured as much

2010-06-10 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2914405

User image

over a barrier
jgaither - 2010-06-10 5:13 PM
running2far - 2010-06-10 4:44 PM
jgaither - 2010-06-10 4:10 PM
JBrashear - 2010-06-10 3:15 PM http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

Texas & A&M to the Big 10, OU +1 to the SEC.

There was something wrong with the link, but I was able to find it anyway.

WOW, pretty shocking development.  There was a little voice in my head saying that Texas, aTm, and OU would all go to the SEC in a last minute effort, but I NEVER thought they would split apart and certainly didn't think Texas and aTm  would go to the Big Ten.  I think that's a terrible match if it goes through.  Texas, OU, and aTm to sec would be a DREAM conference.  simply AMAZING.
100% smoke screen.

smoke screen for what?  You think they are saying that in order to make Nebraska balk at going to the Big Ten?
There are no talks between any Texas Schools to the Big Ten. Its all noise within the media creating lots of drama. The only hang up right now is Texas A&M wants to explore moving to the SEC. I haven't even read the SEC is looking. Texas has basically said. "You go to the SEC, Texas will never play A&M again". When NU officially heads to the Big Ten, the remaining South teams (less Baylor) move to the Pac 10. That will make 7 of 12 leaving, enough to dissolve the conference without members having to pay millions to get out of contracts. All the above if from Chip Brown who originally broke all this at orange bloods. If you look at packages you have oSu and OU tied together and in a way Texas completes the package. Boon Pickens (oSu mega donor) has donated millions already to Texas as well. Texas and oSu have a really good relationship, the Cowboys let TU using their training table while in Stillwater. TT wants to stay with Texas. Baylor would love to, but is on the outside looking in (which is why CU said YES to start this whole mess) In the end, A&M will realize they need to stay hitched to TU, TT, OU, and oSu. So the South moves to the Pac-10 (minus Baylor). Iowa State, Mizzou, KSU, Kansas, and Baylor either try and poach some of the Texas private schools or move along their seperate ways to the CUSA and Mountain as an example. Here is Chip's article http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093010
2010-06-10 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2913969

User image

Veteran
Seattle

Big 10(11) is "supposedly" only offering two more invitations to join the conference and they are rumored to be Rutgers(WTF??) and Notre Dame. If they do Land Notre Dame that is HUGE. The money generated by that schools football team alone (even though we all know they suck) is ridiculous. I just wonder how they would get around the NBC contract?

I don't think that Notre Dame will end up in the Big 10 any time soon:  The Big 10 has tried to get them before (I think the NBC contract is too good as an independent for them), and this time around said they would cap the league at twelve teams if Notre Dame joined.
2010-06-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2914532

User image

Pro
Texas
running2far - 2010-06-10 7:08 PM
jgaither - 2010-06-10 5:13 PM
running2far - 2010-06-10 4:44 PM
jgaither - 2010-06-10 4:10 PM
JBrashear - 2010-06-10 3:15 PM http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html

Texas & A&M to the Big 10, OU +1 to the SEC.

There was something wrong with the link, but I was able to find it anyway.

WOW, pretty shocking development.  There was a little voice in my head saying that Texas, aTm, and OU would all go to the SEC in a last minute effort, but I NEVER thought they would split apart and certainly didn't think Texas and aTm  would go to the Big Ten.  I think that's a terrible match if it goes through.  Texas, OU, and aTm to sec would be a DREAM conference.  simply AMAZING.
100% smoke screen.

smoke screen for what?  You think they are saying that in order to make Nebraska balk at going to the Big Ten?
There are no talks between any Texas Schools to the Big Ten. Its all noise within the media creating lots of drama. The only hang up right now is Texas A&M wants to explore moving to the SEC. I haven't even read the SEC is looking. Texas has basically said. "You go to the SEC, Texas will never play A&M again". When NU officially heads to the Big Ten, the remaining South teams (less Baylor) move to the Pac 10. That will make 7 of 12 leaving, enough to dissolve the conference without members having to pay millions to get out of contracts. All the above if from Chip Brown who originally broke all this at orange bloods. If you look at packages you have oSu and OU tied together and in a way Texas completes the package. Boon Pickens (oSu mega donor) has donated millions already to Texas as well. Texas and oSu have a really good relationship, the Cowboys let TU using their training table while in Stillwater. TT wants to stay with Texas. Baylor would love to, but is on the outside looking in (which is why CU said YES to start this whole mess) In the end, A&M will realize they need to stay hitched to TU, TT, OU, and oSu. So the South moves to the Pac-10 (minus Baylor). Iowa State, Mizzou, KSU, Kansas, and Baylor either try and poach some of the Texas private schools or move along their seperate ways to the CUSA and Mountain as an example. Here is Chip's article http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093010

That is 100% not true, there have even been emails released showing the Big Ten talking to Texas.  Delany & DeLoss have been talking quite a lot, actually.

They very well may end up going to the Pac 10, but I can assure you that the Big 10 & Texas have talked.  A LOT.
2010-06-10 9:31 PM

User image

I heard Texas makes a good fit with the Big Ten because of the academic standards and their football dominance.  When I say dominance, I'm not talking about national championships.  I'm talking about fans and fan base with money.  The Big Ten has the three largest stadiums in the nation.  Texas is #5.  Only the SEC can compare to the Big Ten when it comes to putting fans in the seats...but lets face it...the northern areas of the Big Ten is a little bit more wealthy than the South.  SEC fans are the most passionate IMHO, but "I think" the Big Ten generates more football revenue.

The Pac -10 is littered with small stadium schools.  The Coliseum and the Rose Bowl are huge, but are never used at capacity unless there is a big game.  Frankly, football is not a priority on the West coast like it is in the South or the North East.

The SEC would be a crazy fit for Texas...but I don't think they like their academic standards.  I have no idea what that means...but they guys on TV talk about it...so it must come into play.  More than likely, I think Texas feels that they can dominate the Big 10 because they still get to recruit in their home state well.  Nobody in Texas dreams of playing in Ohio or Pennsylvania during the winter.  But they might dream of playing for Florida or Georgia.  The SEC is a much deeper conference as well and every week you can lose to anyone in conference...which could cost you a BCS bowl.  In the Big 10, there are a few big fish...but you have a lot of easy games thrown in there.

Just my 2 cents...none of this is fact...just my opinion.
2010-06-10 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2914001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
meherczeg - 2010-06-10 2:41 PM
pitt83 - 2010-06-10 2:48 PM I've heard Big East dumps the basketball only schools and fuses with the ACC. That would be interesting! Sad though since G'Town, St John, Nova have been founders.

Would be lame because Big East just reorged 7 years ago to become a basketball power again.  BOO I HATE THE ACC!!!!!

I have a strong feeling it's just a rumor... the ACC see's themselves as the DIV I version of the Ivy League. I have a feeling the ACC didn't extend an offer to WVU because they saw them as academically below their standards. Miami, VA Tech got in because of connections to FSU and Virginia... BC got in mostly because of academics and Boston TV market.

I will add tho... the arms race that the Big 10-11? and Pac?? have set up will make it interesting how the SEC and ACC will react to keep pace.

I should add that Texas AM does have ties to the SEC.. LSU and Texas AM a while back started the football season by playing each other. The AD at AM was also once connected to Alabama.

Edited by bullyboy 2010-06-10 11:08 PM

2010-06-11 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2914768

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

tri808 - 2010-06-10 10:31 PM Only the SEC can compare to the Big Ten when it comes to putting fans in the seats...but lets face it...the northern areas of the Big Ten is a little bit more wealthy than the South.  SEC fans are the most passionate IMHO, but "I think" the Big Ten generates more football revenue.

It's not about fans in the seats. Its about TV money. And the SEC is slightly ahead.

2010-06-11 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Just curious.  Does anyone see these conferences renaming themselves after this has all shaken out?  I mean, if Colorado is going to the PAC 10 and IF the Texas an OK schools go there, first it won't be Pacific based anymore and there will be quite a few more than 10 teams.

And then there is the Big 10/11.  They now have 12 teams. 

Anyone see them renaming themselves?

2010-06-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2915182

User image

Pro
Texas
crowny2 - 2010-06-11 8:01 AM

Just curious.  Does anyone see these conferences renaming themselves after this has all shaken out?  I mean, if Colorado is going to the PAC 10 and IF the Texas an OK schools go there, first it won't be Pacific based anymore and there will be quite a few more than 10 teams.

The name being put out there right now is 'Pac 16', but who knows what it will end up as.
2010-06-11 8:57 AM

User image

over a barrier

Someone had mentioned on of of the oSu sites that the Big XII owns the trademark Big XIII and on and on. I couldn't find it anywhere but I would assume it will be Pac 16.

This is the latest from Chip Brown, who's source is in the Texas AD office.

---------------------------

http://twitter.com/chipbrownob

I'm told Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are going to the Pac-10 with or without Texas A&M.

Orangebloods.com: Nebraska's regents today (Friday) will announce the Cornhuskers' plan to join the Big Ten Conference.

Orangebloods.com: Don't look for Texas, Texas Tech, OU or Okla St to announce their intentions to join the Pac-10 until next week.

Edited by running2far 2010-06-11 9:16 AM
2010-06-11 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2915343

Master
Houston, TX
running2far - 2010-06-11 8:57 AM

Someone had mentioned on of of the oSu sites that the Big XII owns the trademark Big XIII and on and on. I couldn't find it anywhere but I would assume it will be Pac 16. This is the latest from Chip Brown, who's source is in the Texas AD office. --------------------------- http://twitter.com/chipbrownob I'm told Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are going to the Pac-10 with or without Texas A&M. Orangebloods.com: Nebraska's regents today (Friday) will announce the Cornhuskers' plan to join the Big Ten Conference. Orangebloods.com: Don't look for Texas, Texas Tech, OU or Okla St to announce their intentions to join the Pac-10 until next week.

Notice that if UT, TT, OU and oSu go to the Pac 10, that leaves a spot open.  read that Baylor wouldn't even get THAT spot!  They'd go to Kansas or Utah first.  Poor guys...... they just can't win.

I also like how Missouri has changed it's tune now that the Big Ten has made them feel unwanted.

I have a feeling aTm goes with Texas.

2010-06-11 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
What strikes me as a result of what is happening is that The Big Ten basically stays pat by adding Nebraska (and even ND and Mizzou/Rutgers) becasue you don't really change travel that much. 
With the Texas/Oklahmo teams going West, however, that adds up to a lot of travel to go to LA or Washington/Oregon/Berkely to see an away game. 
Now, as we talk football, I don't think it is that big of a deal, but when you consider the non-revnue sports, I mean, wow.  As someone that has a 15 year old daughter that is already getting looks from Texas, Nebraska, Penn St, Wisconsin and Iowa to play volleyball, I have just started to look unfavorably at her playing at Texas.  That's a lot of travel for her to get back from and go to class the next day, especially for a sport that doesn't "make any money" for the school. 
Not to mention the fact that I am never going to be able to watch her play unless I move to Austin (which I'm sure she would love).  With Texas in the Big 12, I can go to Nebraska, Kansas, K state, Iowa State and Mizzou all within a 5 hour trip. 
Just a viewpoint on the effects other than with Football/Basketball. 
2010-06-11 1:26 PM

User image

over a barrier
The next domino falls......

Nebraska has officially contacted the Big XII letting them know, they are Big Ten bound.

In minor news....Boise State has accepted a spot in the MWC, leaving the WAC. good for them....its a step up (unless other crazy stuff happens)
2010-06-11 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2916177

Veteran
Shaking head... I think that the big 10 is going to have to change the way they play football.
2010-06-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2916364

User image

Champion

tnc615 - 2010-06-11 2:38 PM Shaking head... I think that the big 10 is going to have to change the way they play football.

Fixed.

2010-06-11 2:42 PM

User image

over a barrier
This is very interesting! 2011 move?!?!

"Big 12 South schools headed for Pac-10 in 2012 caught off guard by Neb move to B10 in 2011. "

Texas will announce their move (Pac10-16) after Tuesday's regent meeting....

Edited by running2far 2010-06-11 2:43 PM

2010-06-11 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2916368

Veteran
crowny2 - 2010-06-11 2:39 PM

tnc615 - 2010-06-11 2:38 PM Shaking head... I think that the big 10 is going to have to change the way they play football.

Fixed.

Good point! Thanks!
2010-06-11 3:29 PM

Master
Houston, TX
I think Boise State and the MWC are going to make a run at the automatic BCS Bowl bid that is going to be left vacant after the collapse of the Big 12.

Trying to put things together logically and came up with the only reason I can see Texas doesn't want the SEC..... recruiting.  I know this is about money, but the money seems the same in Pac-10, big ten, or SEC to me.  all scenarios appear to work out in a similar fashion.  SEC already cherry picks Texas recruiting, If they joined the SEC, they might lose ground in recruiting.

Academically they fit better with teh west coast also, but I can't see how that really matters.
2010-06-11 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2916153

User image

Champion
the colony texas
jdwright56 - 2010-06-11 1:15 PM What strikes me as a result of what is happening is that The Big Ten basically stays pat by adding Nebraska (and even ND and Mizzou/Rutgers) becasue you don't really change travel that much. 
With the Texas/Oklahmo teams going West, however, that adds up to a lot of travel to go to LA or Washington/Oregon/Berkely to see an away game. 
Now, as we talk football, I don't think it is that big of a deal, but when you consider the non-revnue sports, I mean, wow.  As someone that has a 15 year old daughter that is already getting looks from Texas, Nebraska, Penn St, Wisconsin and Iowa to play volleyball, I have just started to look unfavorably at her playing at Texas.  That's a lot of travel for her to get back from and go to class the next day, especially for a sport that doesn't "make any money" for the school. 
Not to mention the fact that I am never going to be able to watch her play unless I move to Austin (which I'm sure she would love).  With Texas in the Big 12, I can go to Nebraska, Kansas, K state, Iowa State and Mizzou all within a 5 hour trip. 
Just a viewpoint on the effects other than with Football/Basketball. 

I think these are very good points...

while the cynic in me says it's not about the money, since this is an amateur sport 

when Nebraska came into the big 12, they were considered a powerhouse if my memory is correct.. but rumor has it they were constantly upset by what they considered a bias to wards the southern teams, lack of input they had in decisions ranging from where the big games were being played , etc.

I just remember waaay back when I was getting out of HS and a few kids that were being courted by teams, even though it was great for a cold weather Ohio boy to head down to florida to play,  their parents really wanted them to stay closer to be able to see the games even if it was only on TV>
2010-06-11 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I have not read all the responses but I wish CU would have moved to the Mountain West instead of the PAC 10.  Mtn West seems to be more there level of competition.
2010-06-11 11:05 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
crowny2 - 2010-06-11 7:01 AM

Technically arizona isn't pacific either. I'm voting on pac 16

2010-06-13 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2917050

User image

Champion

JoshR - 2010-06-11 11:05 PM

True, but it is a damn sight closer to the ocean than OK or TX. 

2010-06-13 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO
My guess is, the Big 12 is dead.  I'd personally like to see it survive (even grow), but I'll be a Longhorn no matter where we end up.

There is some hope, apparently.... http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093803

2010-06-13 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2918775

User image

Pro
Texas
crowny2 - 2010-06-13 4:54 PM

Yea, Texas is only near that Pond of Mexico.
2010-06-13 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2919119

User image

Champion

JBrashear - 2010-06-13 8:39 PM
crowny2 - 2010-06-13 4:54 PM

Yea, Texas is only near that Pond of Mexico.

Pacific Mr. smartypants. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bye bye Big 12 Rss Feed  

of 4