Fredericksburg Area YMCA Racing
76F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 23m 14s
Overall Rank = 27/164
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to my parents ouse on Friday night to save some time, figured it would be quicker to get there from Stafford vs. Arlington.

Woke up to pouring rain about 4:30am, drove down to Colonial Beach.

Pretty small area, I was able to park, get my stuff over to transition and walk extra stuff back to the truck.

Transition was kind of a CF, good idea using the bin type racks they used at rev 3 but it was first come first serve and people had bikes all over the place, not in the correct alternating positions. This would cause issues later. So I jammed my bike in-between 2 others, had to turn the bars sideways to fit it in.

Walked around a bit, ended up cutting it a bit closer than planned so no time to warmup, age a gel while waiting for the swim start.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 17m 41s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water temp was in the mid 80's so no wetsuit and pretty warm. Was a standing start in the water, then the fun began.

This was by far the most contact I have ever had in a swim, 2nd was montclair last year, both non-wetsuit ows. Wonder if there is some connection.

I had my timing strap pulled off 2x. Kicked multiple times in the face, once hard enough to give me a black eye. Contact pretty much the whole swim, I ended up cussing some guy out in the last 100M because he swam into me 3-4 times while I was going straight. Felt bad, he and I talked after the race and we both apologized to each other, he said he was beat and started swimming all over the place, but still no reason for me to yell, other than I was frustrated by that point.

There was talk of Jellyfish here and 2 guys I talked to said they felt some, maybe if I saw one I might have swam a bit faster to get the heck out of the water.

What would you do differently?:

Need to figure out the swim portion, this was one of my slowest swims ever, slower than my HIM and 2 oly swims this year, but felt no different than those. Only thing I can think of is all the contact slowed me down, I kept trying to swim out further from the straight line to get some clean water and stop having people pull my legs under. You figure with such a slow swim there couldn't be that many people behind me to bump into me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Decent run on a rocky beach to T1, went sans-socks this race but since I got there so late I didn't have time get my shoes set up on the bike, so put them on and ran through the parking lot. Pretty good transition I think.

Get there early enough to set up my shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 38m 21s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Started reeling in all those that were ahead of me starting out on the bike. Got into aero and took-off. Looking at avg power it was pretty low (201) but I thought I was pushing it pretty good, not crushing it like I would for a TT but good pace for a Tri. Thought I might have broken 23 and maybe I could have if it didn't start pouring rain about 1/2 way on the bike. Started raining hard enough at one point to sting a bit.

AVG Watts 201

Not much
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Hopped off the bike and passed 2 guys at the dismount line that unclipped while I did a flying dismount.

Ran to the general area where I was racked and realized it was impossible to figure out exactly which slits to put my bike in, transition seemed pretty empty at that point which was kind of cool but again made it tough to figure out where to put my bike. Put it in the slots and got ready to take off but then realized I had moved it over one spot. I probably could have left it there and made the people around me compensate since it was such a CF, but I didn't want to be "that guy" and mess up the lady next to me who was nice enough to move her bike over a bit before the race so there was enough space or my bike. so I moved it over a spot and took what seemed like forever to get it to stand up since it kept trying to fall over. Finally got it in and took off. Could have been sub 1:00 without the re-racking.

Put bike in rack correctly
Run
  • 24m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off on the run in the low 7's which was where I had planned on running but just started feeling crummy, slowed it down a bit waiting for the crummy feeling to go away, at the first water stop I grabbed some water and all it did was start sloshing around in my stomach.

So basically just dealt with it until the end, watched my overall placing go up but didn't get passed by anyone in my AG.

Not feel crappy on the run
Post race
Warm down:

Finished off the race waiting around with someone else from NCVC who ended up being the overall winner, even though he got a 2:00 pentalty for going the wrong way out of T1.

Ended up 3rd in AG which actually paid money, woot! 15 bucks!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If I would have just swam 2:00 100's I would have won my AG even with the crappy run.

One of these days I would like to have a race that goes as planned.

Event comments:

Fun race, pretty small. everything was close together so no having to run all over the place. There were quite a few spectators out which was great for such a small race. Quite a few families out in their front yard cheering people on during the run. Swim was pretty murky, not sure if it was the rain the night before or not but everyone came out of the water dirty.

Pizza, Chips, Bananna's, water, sodas, cookies and some other stuff after the race in a nice Air Conditioned building.

Pretty good race for 70 bucks. If there are no jellyfish next year I will definitely be back.

Schwag, Cotton t-shirt, water bottle, bunch of stuff in the bag.

Last updated: 2010-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:41 | 700 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 82/164
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-Suit
Course: Dirty potomac river swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:21 | 14 miles | 21.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 8/164
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Loop
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:31 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 41/164
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat run near water
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-14 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Colonial Beach Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2979688

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Colonial Beach Sprint Triathlon
nice job man.  you better buy sam sumthin purty with that prize money!
2010-07-14 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2979728

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2010-07-14 8:50 AM nice job man.  you better buy sam sumthin purty with that prize money!

Ha - are you crazy he already spent the $ on a video game for himself and Drew. ;-)

Good race - it will all come together at some point just be patient.  And hey a 3rd AG finish is not bad for a race that didn't go as planned!  And it's better than being kicked in the face except in this case you got both. 
2010-07-14 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Nice job, Tony! 

Loved the image of you cussing that poor guy out and then you guys making nice at the end.  Truly tough to stay in control of emotions when getting frustrated on the swim (and peeps crashing into you).

Congrats on the podium and the cashola! 
2010-07-14 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Pain for a race - time to get your pro card!

Congrants on the podium and enduring through a tough swim.

2010-07-14 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Great job... except the swim.  WHAT?  Just being honest.  Your better than that!  You had a great race though!

2010-07-14 5:40 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice race, maybe there was some current in the river? Perhaps it was the tides...  Great bike and run - even if you don't think so....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colonial Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed