View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Webster, MA
United States
Total Time = 1h 41m 22s
Overall Rank = 864/1747
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 165/264
Pre-race routine:

Met up with BT'ers MomX3, Miko, Abakak, Nikki, Fitby40, K8Holland, Lobstergirl & Celeb-ithil at the Pre-Race mandatory meetings on Saturday. Went to lunch with Fitby40, Miko & Celeb-ithil and then we walked the run course. (We cut it too short, though, as I found to my sorrow on race day when they wanted me to budge a single foot farther than I thought I had to.) Then Celeb-ithil & Miko and I drove the course and I provided a running commentary about where I'd shift into the big chain ring (i.e., everywhere not uphill) and they pleasantly pretended I was being helpful.

I had decided to stay at my in-law's house because it was closer and I'd escape the work-a-day problems of my own home. In honor of me and my daughter being, there, though, they threw a party. 6 teenagers, 2 little kids, 15 people in all. And so much for carb-ups, they had shrimp & steak and salad for dinner. I was secretly sneaking banana bites. It was hellish trying to escape to get to bed at 8:00, and useless as well since I could hear ordinary speaking voices in the next room from my paper-thin-walled guest bedroom.

4:00 AM came very early. Very, very early: actually it came at 3:30 when I woke up in a panic thinking I had overslept. I lay there trying to make myself fall back asleep for a coveted extra half hour of sleep, but I was too worried that my two alarm clocks would fail. So I got up.

Another problem with my in-law's house: I can't really make coffee there. I desperately needed coffee. I had scouted out a 24-hour Dunkin Donuts the day before so I got my stuff together and headed out. Oh, first I made my bagel with salmon & cream cheese because that's my everyday breakfast and I didn't want to change it. I couldn't face eating it at 4:30 but by 5 am I was okay to nibble on it as the coffee started to reach my system.

At 5:15 I saw a car on the interstate with a bike on top. Another one entered right behind it. I got all teary-eyed. I was going to show! DFL beats DNF beats DNS and I was going to at least show. Showing up was taking guts because I was outright freaked out about this.

I got there at 5:45 and parked near the lake in the secret parking place us BT-ers had scouted out behind the bowling alley. I woke my kid and we hauled too much stuff down to the beach. I brought my air pump, for example, and a chair for the kid. I was freaked about my always-low back tire. I know it lost air while in the hot car, but every time I'd check it it'd be a little low. Maybe because every time I checked it I let air out of it in the process of checking it? Duh, I know, but did I mention that I was freaked out?

We got to the TA and I realized I'd forgotten my helmet. Sent Squire (daughter) back for it. I had to run around a bit explaining that I wasn't going to wear the latex cap because I thought going into anaphalctic shock during the bike ride would be bad. No one argued with it and I'm not sure why I had to tell anyone. I just looked funny wearing my purple Tyr cap in the green wave.

I went to the port-a-potties once around 6 AM, but resisted the urge to go before the race because I absolutely intended to pee in the water like a real triathlete.
Event warmup:

I did several runs back and forth to the TA, getting water for my foot basin, checking entrances exits, obsessively checking tire pressure... about 15 minute before the race I went and swam 100 yards or so, let water into my wet suit, got air out, then jogged back to the TA. That was my warm-up.
Swim
  • 14m 59s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very happy with my swim. I did a strong front crawl with a good pull the whole way. After being told a million times to get to the back rear, I'd also been hearing people say that the Danskin group were a sorry bunch of swimmers. So I got near the front middle. It paid off, I hardly got passed at all and mostly passed people frog kicking. I did get whacked hard in the mouth at one point and I re-chipped a previously chipped (and veneered) tooth. I actually don't mind all that much. A snaggly-toothed look goes with my rugged athletic look. :-)
What would you do differently?:

Mouth guard?
Transition 1
  • 06m 58s
Comments:

Darn it, I forgot to pee in the water. By the time I remembered it was near the end of the swim and I couldn't relax (and slow down) enough.

It was a really long run to the TA and I left water shoes along the route so I diverted to take off the wetsuit and put on water shoes before running the rest of the way. My run was pretty pitiful, and when I got there I realized I had forgotten to get out my sunglasses and the powerbar (they were still in the Transition bag.) So I fumbled around way too much. We were supposed to walk our bikes in transition and I was grateful for the rule. It was a miserably slow transition. I thought about stopping to pee but didn't want to make a bad scene worse so I didn't.

Set up my TA. Learn to run. (That'd come in helpful later, too.)
Bike
  • 43m 45s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I spent most of the time in my big chain ring really pushing it on the bike. There's a hill called "Mount Daniels" in this course. I did it. I didn't enjoy it, but I topped it in better shape than last time and really made some time going down the back side. I hit 35 mph at one point. I was passed about three times on this course and spent the entire time yelling "on your left" and later, when people were just lolling along on the center line, I started yelling, "please get to the right, I'm on your left." I swear, I talked through the entire bike ride. "On your left, on your left, on your left." I finished 416 out of 1747 and I think I recall passing all of those people!

I ruled on the bike. I really didn't expect to do that well. My hill training, my group rides, my dedication to picking up this sport are all paying off. I hadn't been on a bike in many years before April 15th of this year.

Be in a race with less newbies?
Transition 2
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

I was scared about falling at the dismount, either from still being clipped in or not being able to get my leg over the bike. I managed to survive both hurdles. I barely recall T2. I got in, changed shoes, put on my race belt, grabbed a drink of gel & a drink of water, and decided not to use my hydration belt. It wasn't too hot and it wasn't too sunny. That was a good choice, there was enough water on the route and I didn't need to carry one gram extra on that run.

Practice the run exit. I had done the other ones a few times, but I nearly forgot where the run exit was. I also only had a vague idea where the run finish was. I should have practiced that in the pre-race time.
Run
  • 31m 53s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Road running. Uggh. My hip felt every footfall. I really need to figure out how to not be crippled. Being in pain affected my training and it affected my run. I knew my heart rate wasn't high enough, I knew I could push this, but darnit, it hurt to run! It was demoralizing to have all the people I passed on the bike blow by me on the run. I passed nearly nobody.

But I should note that I did most of the run with a smile anyway, because, guess what, I AM A TRIATHLETE! I knew that nothing short of falling down and knocking myself out was going to stop me from finishing!

Be younger. Learn to run. Do trail runs. I don't know, this is the eternal dilemma. I want to run but I'm bad at it on every level. That's what brought me to triathlons to begin with.
Post race
Warm down:

Put ice on my hip. Did a few stretches, ate a bagel I had the forethought to buy at Dunkin Donuts at 4:30 in the morning, drank water & then a recovery drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unhealthy hip.

Event comments:

It's a very, very, very big race. 2100 registered people (not all of whom were timed) and 1500 of them were first-time triathletes.

Last updated: 2005-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:59 | 820 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/264
Overall: 776/1747
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless full length
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle in clear 6' deep water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:58
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:45 | 12.4 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
Overall: 416/1747
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: A 250 foot climb at the 4-5 mile mark, followed by a steep downhill with a hard right turn at the bottom (so you have to brake down it) and then nice rolling hills. About a mile of the race is annoying city traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:53 | 02.8 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 1285/1747
Performance: Below average
171 average. I normally do 5K's in the 180 range.
Course: I suppose it was pleasant enough for a road race, lots of rolling hills, but next time give me a sandy path or a new hip.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-07-31 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Subject: Danskin Women's Sprint Triathlon

2005-07-31 5:53 PM
in reply to: #212165

Champion
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Sprint Triathlon
Good race Wendy, was fun meeting you and everyone else. Now all you need to do is use my technique...pee while you're running to T-1....that's what hard core triathletes do! Congrats on the solid results!!
2005-07-31 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Awesome job and a great report. I especially enjoyed the night before as I have lived it many times.
2005-07-31 6:04 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job and congratulations
2005-07-31 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Great to meet you today and great job racing. I'm sorry to report I was likely one of those folks you had to say "on your left to", but assuredly I was staying to the right, so I know i wasn't one of them you HAD to request to move there!! I'm jealous   awed by the fact you were only passed 3 times. I think that was the number of times I said 'on your left'

I think they really need to change locations or set up to accomodate the transition. That was really extreme. My rack was at the far end from the bike mount/dismount shoot. UGH. I forgot about the run crossover you mentioned as well.

2005-08-01 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Great job! it must be intimidating for your first race to be that large. I thought mine was big at 700...

When's the next race?

2005-08-01 8:08 AM

User image

Awesome Gwendal! Wish you had swim-coached me! Good job, and I loved your race report!!

Next year, lets meet up!

Lynne
2005-08-01 8:25 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-08-01 8:46 AM

Veteran
Salem, MA
Great race, Gwendal! Your performance was really outstanding and all your planning and forethought paid off. I really enjoyed meeting you and the other BTers -- that really enhanced the race for me. You've set a great example of determination and a serious approach. Thanks and congratulations!
2005-08-01 11:15 AM

Champion
MA

Wendy....great job Triathlete!!

Awesome job and sounds like you enjoyed the swim and bike a lot!! Your run will improve as you work at it and I hope your hip gets better...my run is still my worst but getting better slowly.

All your training came together for this tri.....which Tri are you doing next?

2005-08-01 5:42 PM

South Shore MA
Your hard work reaped clear results--nice job.

Your thoughts over lunch helped me yesterday, and I was grateful to benefit from your insights.

Sorry for the bad info...I too, was dismayed when I discovered my error, but deeply troubled when I realized that I had led others astray!

Keep up the good work

2005-08-01 5:44 PM

Elite
South Florida
Hey Gwendal - great race! It was so much fun to meet you. Thanks for finding me Saturday. I hope your daughter appreciates how hard you worked - let's get her to do it next year
2005-08-01 6:58 PM
in reply to: #213153

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Gwendal... YOU TOTALLY DID IT! YOU TOTALLY ROCK! YOU ARE TOTALLY AWESOME AND I AM DANCING AROUND MY FAMILY ROOM FOR YOU! REALLY!

I cannot race/run/breath air without coffee either.

I have to tell ya you are just amazing and never think you aren't! I am so proud of you. Oh ant that is a world class race report. YOU SWAM FREESTYLE THE WHOLE WAY!

About the running... it will come. I swear it!
2005-08-02 10:09 AM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Nice work!!! Congratulations, Triathlete!!!!

And the running... well, just keep trying. Don't hurt yourself... Your 11 min +/- average is still better than mine!!! Keep up the good work. Be proud of yourself!!!!!!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-08-02 10:44 AM

Veteran
Madison, WI
Nice race. Gwendal. I knew you would do wonderfully. It seems that there is a lot to forget on race days. Well the first one is under your belt. Great work and times! You can bring that run time up easily.
2005-08-02 11:49 AM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You did great!  Good job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed