General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trainer advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-06 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: Bike trainer advice
I'm looking for a bike trainer. I really would like a Kurt Kinetic, but I'm not fond of the price. Please give me your opinion on the CycleOps like this. I think I have read somewhere on here that many BTers like the CycleOps.

Although I can get the Kinetic for about $100 more I think I still need to purchase the mat, riser ring, etc in addition to the trainer. Is this correct?

2011-01-06 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3282927

User image

Subject: RE: Bike trainer advice
The CycleOps that's mostly recommended is the fluid2 version:

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/fluid_2_indoor_traine...

fluid2 or the Kurt Kinetic, find one of them on sale or used and pick it up.

No, you don't need all that. A phone book, old disk drive, 2X4, all work for a front wheel prop. I've got a puzzle floor for sweat collection.

You do need a fan that basically can strip paint off your wall to keep you from sweating to death.
2011-01-06 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville
Blueraiderzone - 2011-01-06 4:27 PM I'm looking for a bike trainer. I really would like a Kurt Kinetic, but I'm not fond of the price. Please give me your opinion on the CycleOps like this. I think I have read somewhere on here that many BTers like the CycleOps.

Although I can get the Kinetic for about $100 more I think I still need to purchase the mat, riser ring, etc in addition to the trainer. Is this correct?

You don't have to buy that extra crap...you can use a book instead of a block and towels instead of mats.
2011-01-06 5:32 PM

Regular
I'm in the same boat... Looking for a nice trainer... Do you have to get a separate tire for when riding on a trainer? I've read so many different stories about different trainers, I don't know what to think anymore.
2011-01-06 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3283191

User image

acgibby - 2011-01-06 6:32 PM

I'm in the same boat... Looking for a nice trainer... Do you have to get a separate tire for when riding on a trainer? I've read so many different stories about different trainers, I don't know what to think anymore.

Don't have to but it'll keep your road tires from leaving little black speckles all around the carpet.

2011-01-06 7:17 PM

User image

If you're looking for a trainer...look used first.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who bought a trainer in November thinking they would use it, and they hate it.  Most decently built trainers should last a really long time.

Agree that you don't need the mat or riser.  You will need fans like Daniel mentioned. 

2011-01-06 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I have the cyclops magnetic one that is featured there, but I did not buy the package.  See if you can get it without all that hooey.  You don't need it as others have posted.  The trainer is great.  I love it, but I hate it.  Good luck.  
2011-01-06 9:07 PM

Master
I use a trainer a LOT. 90%+ of my winter/spring miles are on the trainer, despite the fact I live in a year-round cycling climate (job + etc limits my hours), and I've managed to find a way to keep up a good training regimen that I'm happy with on the bike and run.

I consider all these ESSENTIALS. Yes, you can theoretically just get on a trainer and go, with no other extras, but I'd guesstimate that there's a very, very high odds that within 3-5 sessions in a row, you will hate your trainer and even dread it.

- **Training DVDs: Spinervals or Sufferfest. Amazingly good
- Reasonable setup for watching your dvd - A dvd player and headphones with long ext cord works great (was recommended by lots of folks at Slowtwitch)
- Speed / cadence sensor: Not for comparing to road speed, but for gauging performance on the trainer (very reproducible). The Garmin 305 + bike sensor will get you all this + HRM for <$200.
- Decent place to train. Not talking fancy here, but somewhere you can reliably work out. I've cleared a spot in my garage, and it's totally fine. However, if I had to set up and breakdown the trainer every time, I doubt I'd be motivated enough to use it. 
- Some sort of front wheel support. A block will work, but I think it's worth it to buy a plastic riser.

Yes, this will add potentially up to $300 if you don't own a Garmin already, but I've met very few (any,a ctually) folks who can just get on a trainer and ride for 45-60+ mins at a stretch without any other stimulation or feedback. The training DVDs in particular are awesome for developing power in a way that you might not even be able to replicate on the road.
2011-01-06 9:22 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

i had an old Cateye magnetic trainer for several years.  Over the summer bought the Kinetic.  Can't believe I didn't get it sooner.

Can't speak relative to the Cyclops, but can say that I'm very happy with my Kinetic.  I bought the wheel brick at the same time, but then got a speedometer / cadence meter for Christmas.

2011-01-06 10:14 PM

User image

Master
I have that trainer... love it!  It's a little loud but it really doesn't bother me.  My parents got it for me as a birthday gift without the mat and riser.  Like someone else mentioned, a book and towel work just fine.  My parents got it from amazon for $160... http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Mag-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B000BT577G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294373587&sr=8-2

2011-01-07 12:39 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Most people seem quite happy with the two leading fluid trainers (KK and CycleOps). I only know the KK, and really like it a lot.

I have the riser, but it could easily be replaced with something else. I don't have the mat - a towel is just as good. And to be honest, if you have a really strong fan, the towel becomes far less necessary. The rear wheel sensor that gives me speed that I can convert to power - that is a big deal for me.

As I see it, the extra $100 goes a lot further in terms of improvement in the trainer experience than the same $100 would for bike components. For somebody like me who mostly rides on the trainer, this is huge. But for others who use it less, it would be not such a big deal. 

2011-01-07 2:51 AM

Regular
i have the magnetic censor for the front tire... Will I need to get a different one for the trainer, or can i just switch it off of the front tire to the back?
2011-01-07 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ

Lots of good advice up here. My $0.02 on the question of training tires and mileage, and fans, and stuff:

Training tire not all that important ... just use last year's race tire, then switch to last year's front wheel tire (after putting a new tire up front) then by race season you are ready for a new tire on rear. Remember if you go to a training tire, you may NOT want to ride on the road with it on those rare warm weekends that you can get off the trainer and outside.

As for mileage, either estimate based on time (....say maybe 2MPH slower than last year's race average .... whatever ... 50 miles for every three hours ... whatever) or get a mileage/speed/cadence sensor designed for rear wheel. Many riders report a difference in effort for road miles versus trainer miles ... most people report that trainer miles are tougher. ("It's your training log ... you can write down whatever you want!")

And a really good fan is a really good idea. I got a commercial fan at Costco for about $60 that will "strip paint of the walls" and it's great.

I also got a set of wireless headphones to wear so I can watch TV without deafening my dogs. This has worked great. I keep a bottle of Simple Green spray cleaner close by, so I can wipe down my bike and the floor afterwards. I also have a stool for one-legged spinning, and a nylon sack hanging from the handlebars to hold the TV remote and any nutrition (no sense sweating all over my top-tube nutrition satchel).

I also release the compression on my skewer and release the roller pressure from my wheel after every ride (between rides) ... you could argue that this is not necesssary ... personal preference... but it's just how I roll.

Edited by jsselle 2011-01-07 6:17 AM

(Comp Crop Garmin 305 Set Up 001.jpg)

(Comp Bike Group 007.jpg)

(Bike Group 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Comp Crop Garmin 305 Set Up 001.jpg (33KB - 7 downloads)
Comp Bike Group 007.jpg (90KB - 5 downloads)
Bike Group 005.jpg (94KB - 4 downloads)
2011-01-07 6:23 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
I would buy the Magneto over the Mag that's in that picture, and the fluid2 over the Magneto.  I can't even hear my girlfriend from upstairs when she's in the basement using my fluid.  We have all three set up in the LBS I work for and everyone comments on how much quieter and smoother the Fluid2 is than the Magneto, and how both of those are in a different league than the Mag, which is very noisy.
2011-01-07 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3283874

User image

jsselle - 2011-01-07 7:11 AM

I got a commercial fan at Costco for about $60 that will "strip paint of the walls" and it's great.

Excellent choice in fans. That's the same one I've got and it's the first fan I've used where I don't even put it to the highest speed in the winter and still don't drip sweat.

Other fans on high and I was creating puddles. That one on med (2) and it's just about perfect with no puddles.
2011-01-07 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
I have the fluid ops 2 and received the training mat, bike thong, and blocks as a gift.  I really like the thong, know a lot of people that say they are a waste.  It definitely keeps sweat off of key components and after a ride I usually just have a quick wipedown on the frame and handlebars but nothing major.  I will say a cheap fan is the best accessory I have for the trainer.

2011-01-07 6:54 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Don't go buy a KK for $365.  I have bought two of them.  Both for under $300.  If you need help finding one, let me know.
2011-01-07 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3283913

User image

Davenport, IA
DanielG - 2011-01-07 6:39 AM
jsselle - 2011-01-07 7:11 AM I got a commercial fan at Costco for about $60 that will "strip paint of the walls" and it's great.
Excellent choice in fans. That's the same one I've got and it's the first fan I've used where I don't even put it to the highest speed in the winter and still don't drip sweat. Other fans on high and I was creating puddles. That one on med (2) and it's just about perfect with no puddles.

Of course the wall behind you probably gets soaked now.
2011-01-07 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3284212

User image

Sprint_DA - 2011-01-07 9:52 AM

DanielG - 2011-01-07 6:39 AM
jsselle - 2011-01-07 7:11 AM I got a commercial fan at Costco for about $60 that will "strip paint of the walls" and it's great.
Excellent choice in fans. That's the same one I've got and it's the first fan I've used where I don't even put it to the highest speed in the winter and still don't drip sweat. Other fans on high and I was creating puddles. That one on med (2) and it's just about perfect with no puddles.

Of course the wall behind you probably gets soaked now.

No, my skin's not even all that wet during the workout any more, just mildly damp.

It's not quite THAT powerful
2011-01-07 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3283888

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Sprint_DA - 2011-01-07 7:23 AM I would buy the Magneto over the Mag that's in that picture, and the fluid2 over the Magneto. 

I have a CO JetFluidPro and a CO SuperMagnetoPro, and like the SMPro better. Much better. I can't tell the difference in noise . I'll set 'em up side by side and listen, though... maybe it's my noise-cancelling headphones ... although I ride regularly without them, too. Mostly, I like the ride feel on the mag better ... although I acknowledge most people seem to like fluid better. (Wow - the resistance curve on the JFP is TOUGH above 15MPH ....)
2011-01-07 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3284517

User image

Davenport, IA
jsselle - 2011-01-07 10:48 AM
Sprint_DA - 2011-01-07 7:23 AM I would buy the Magneto over the Mag that's in that picture, and the fluid2 over the Magneto. 

I have a CO JetFluidPro and a CO SuperMagnetoPro, and like the SMPro better. Much better. I can't tell the difference in noise . I'll set 'em up side by side and listen, though... maybe it's my noise-cancelling headphones ... although I ride regularly without them, too. Mostly, I like the ride feel on the mag better ... although I acknowledge most people seem to like fluid better. (Wow - the resistance curve on the JFP is TOUGH above 15MPH ....)

That's the pro version, though....those are more than a little bit different than the Magneto and Fluid2, if I remember right.

2011-01-09 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry to hijack, but I think this might help the conversation.  It looks like I am going to be spending some quality time on the trainer over the next 2 months and I hate my current trainer.  I currently have a Blackburn Trackstand.  I have zero experience with other trainers, so I have nothing to compare to, but I am wondering if I hate it because it is low end and there are far superior trainers out there or if I hate it because, well, I am riding a trainer. 

Fwiw, I hate it because I feel like I can't dial in the resistance that I want.  It is either too easy or too hard.

Can someone help me understand the difference between these trainers.  I don't mind dropping a bit of money to get something that is going to give me a quality ride inside.  Thanks for the advice!
2011-01-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3287872

User image

irondreams - 2011-01-09 10:38 AM
Fwiw, I hate it because I feel like I can't dial in the resistance that I want.  It is either too easy or too hard.

Can someone help me understand the difference between these trainers.  I don't mind dropping a bit of money to get something that is going to give me a quality ride inside.  Thanks for the advice!

Find either a Kurt Kinetic fluid (any model) or a CycleOps Fluid2 on sale and buy it. I've said that in many a trainer thread and it's about a 95% agreement rate with that as a suggestion going. On sale or used here or ST's classifieds.

2011-01-09 10:58 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Blueraiderzone - 2011-01-06 4:27 PM I'm looking for a bike trainer. I really would like a Kurt Kinetic, but I'm not fond of the price. Please give me your opinion on the CycleOps like this. I think I have read somewhere on here that many BTers like the CycleOps.

You don't need to get all the extras.  The riser is nice, but you can use phone books to prop it up.

That being said, my inlaws got that package over Christmas and I help them set it up.  It's nice.  It's pretty quiet and feels pretty solid.  It's not as heavy as my CycleOps2, but it was a lot cheaper.
2011-01-09 11:58 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
For me, I made a common mistake and bought twice in an effort to save $100. I went with a Blackburn magnetic trainer.  It was noisy and ultimately really did not provide enough resistance for some of the training intervals, furthermore not as physicsally stable as the KK that I ultimately purchased.  For the mid range priced trainers, I like the KK's.  I love mine, best purchase I think I have made in cycling.  It is very stable and provides plenty of resistance (no need for the extra heavy flywheel).  While I have heard mixed reviews of the other brands, although Cyclops overall is generally good.  I have heard things about their variability in resistance.  I have heard nothing but praise for the KKs.  I supported my LBS even though I could have driven across town and got it for 60 less at Bicycle outfitters indy ($259-279 range).  I'd drop the extra $, you will eventuallly anyway.

As others have said, books, towels and fans - not necessary to buy the other stuff.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trainer advice Rss Feed  

of 2