General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you during a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-16 3:03 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Subject: what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you during a race
... that you still finished?

can you beat 3 flats? that's what happened to me on my first Ironman last weekend... (details in my Vineman race report)

i'm fishing for other people's race related misery to put my own into perspective. bring it on! make me feel better!

2005-08-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: #226636

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you during a race

How about severe "runners trots" during my first marathon!

I just about hit every porta john on the course. I must have waited in line for over 45 minutes in all. Not too mention the time in the john.

Ugh, it was miserable and my butt was so chaffed!

2005-08-16 3:10 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
In July I crashed on my 1 month old Cervelo Dual . I got some road rash but the bike came out o.k. and we managed to finish together! Sh'e since been to the shop and now I consider her christened! We are bettter for it!
2005-08-16 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I high-sided a rocky switchback in an MTB race on Dragons' Back on North Mountain in the Jefferson National forest. It was a misty, fairly cold (read that there was a very real possibility of hypothermia) April day. I found myself looking at the sky and bonking. My bike was on top of me, and I had lost my gatorade bottle about two hours earlier, my Hammergel was long gone. I managed to get the bike off me and stand up. As soon as I took the first step up the rocks to get back on the trail, the hamstring cramps kicked in, and i slid back down the side of the mountain again.

There's no sag here, and no cell phone reception, and no-one around at all to speak of. I was severely off the back of the race and had to consider the possibility of being in real trouble. Fortuneatly I was able to ride the last 4 miles or so off and on. I pushed all the hills and coasted the downs. I ended up not finishing DFL much to my surprise.

2005-08-16 3:16 PM
in reply to: #226644

User image

TriComet - 2005-08-16 1:08 PM

I just about hit every porta john on the course. I must have waited in line for over 45 minutes in all. Not too mention the time in the john.

that's bad.

that's worse!
2005-08-16 3:19 PM
in reply to: #226656

User image

Queen BTich
awol - 2005-08-16 4:16 PM
TriComet - 2005-08-16 1:08 PM

that's bad.

that's worse!

AND it was Chicago. = too many people, too many in line for the john!

2005-08-16 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
awol - 2005-08-16 12:03 PM

• .. that you still finished?

• can you beat 3 flats? that's what happened to me on my first Ironman last weekend... (details in my Vineman race report)

i'm fishing for other people's race related misery to put my own into perspective. bring it on! make me feel better!

read your RR, sorry to hear about your luck. good finish time!
    2005-08-16 3:25 PM

User image

Champion
    Beautiful Sonoma County
    One of the relay teams for my BF's office (the folks we were there to cheer for) for the Vineman Half (the same day as your race) was on track for being 1st. Our cyclist, just as he came on Geyserville, had his rear deraileur/shifter totally crap out on him. He couldn't shift at all, and was stuck in his biggest gear in the back -- his spinner.

45 minutes later, he and a mechanic at the aid station there had managed to pull the cable and get him in to a medium gear in the back and he finished the bike course.

Personally, I haven't had anything really bad happen (yet). But I just know I will be called upon sooner or later to change a flat or ride with some sort of injury.

But, in the end... you finished! Way to go, IRONMAN!!
    2005-08-16 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Delray Beach, FL
    Did you flat the same tire? My BF was part of a bike repair team on my race. A lot of people got flats that day. He told me the main problem when changing tires on a race is that racers do not take time to check for the tire properly, hence they replace the tube but do not check for the cause of the flat. He tought me to look for the hole on the tube, compare to the tire and verify the cause of the flat is gone before replacing the tube....
    He also recommended me kevlar tires for races. I got more expensive tires for the races, I can still get flats but at least I will have better protection.
    Just a thought....
    Good luck next time
    2005-08-16 3:41 PM
    in reply to: #226677

User image

But, in the end... you finished! Way to go, IRONMAN!!

yes, there is that.

clflgrl - read my race report. i'm not a stranger to flats. it just wasn't meant to be for me.
    2005-08-16 4:35 PM

User image

Champion
    Bellingham, Washington
    Developed a lower Calf cramp at  the 2.5 mile mark during the Portland Marathon....Do I quit, do I walk the marathon?   Ran it out and finished.  But did get a bruise on the leg.  

2005-08-16 4:41 PM

Master
    Shreveport, LA
    In my last race I had three flats and only 2 tubes, so I got a DNF. I refused to take any outside assistance from someone dropping me a tube, etc, because it was against the rules and because I knew that it was the new tires that I had put on 2 weeks ago making the tubes blow.

I had never had a flat on the front tire, but I put these new tires on my bike and got 2 on the first two rides. I took it back to LBS and showed them the tubes because I wanted everything to be good for the race. The repair guy said that it was a pinch flat and showed me how to air up the tires.

I wanted to make sure that things were good before race day, so I went and rode ~10 miles and things were fine, so I thought to myself, "The problem was pinch flats."

About 7.5 miles into the race, "BOOM" the tube exploded. Checked the rim, aired it up properly, installed the wheel back on the bike and "BOOM" again. Repeat the process "BOOM" again.

So lots of people offered me tubes, but they would have done me no good. I walked the bike to the next volunteer, put it on the truck, and rode back to the transition area and did the run.

The next day I took the tire, tubes, wheel, etc to the LBS. The guy figures out that I got a bad tire, which was causing all the flats. They gave me a new tire, new tubes, and now everything is fine, except for my DNF that it caused.
    2005-08-16 5:53 PM

User image

Elite
    Bay Area, CA

My last triathlon, Olympic distance, last year - didn't do enough (read: ANY) heat training and just about lost it on the run.

Ended up walking 9k of the 10k I think.  Temperature over 100, no shade, no wind, couldn't even jog cause anything faster than walking I'd start getting dizzy and nauseated - some dehydration, probably flirting with heat stroke.

I was DFL by a long way (like almost an hour I think) I'm really, really slow, so I kinda expected to be DFL, but that was just sad.  My run split was way longer than my bike. - the EMT guys were pouring water down me, and then I'd pushed so hard in conditions I wasn't prepared for, I was sick for a week after.  Not fun.

2005-08-16 6:34 PM

User image

Champion
    Williamston, Michigan
    Did my first oly on a broken hip.....didn't know it was broken it just was killing me on the run
    2005-08-16 7:50 PM

Expert
    Brisbane
    I kidded myself i had done the training for an OLY, came home very sad and sorry 45 minutes worse than my best time for an OLY!!!! Dam u ego!!!!
    2005-08-16 11:44 PM
    in reply to: #226875

User image

Expert
    WA
    sue - the broken hip is bad!  wow, i would give you the award for worst.

as for me, about 5 miles into my very first sprint tri i had to pull over and threw up.  i remember sitting on the curb hunched over a patch of grass...a nice man pulled over and stopped and asked, "are you ok?"  and i said weakly, "i think i'm going to throw up"....and then i did. 

when the marshal in the van came by to check up on me, he wouldn't let me go on for a while, he kept radioing back to make sure he could let me go, and i was like, i feel fine, i feel fine, i want to go!  and then he proceeded to let me go (i lost 5 minutes) and then he followed me for the rest of the race, which i appreciated, but i was embarrassed becuase i was so slow and sucked.  i lost all my food and energy on that barf, and walked 70% of my 5K and it took me 42 minutes, i think.  SUCK.  but i finished i guess.

so i'm pretty sure i know why this happened - i dumbly decided to try an electrolyte pill that i'd gotten in my race pack after i got out of the water.  conventional wisdom says to never put something in your stomach that you've never tried before on race day.  but i thought "it's just gatorade in a pill". haha.  lesson learned. 

2005-08-17 7:12 PM
    in reply to: #226742

User image

mnewton - 2005-08-16 2:41 PM

In my last race I had three flats and only 2 tubes, so I got a DNF. I refused to take any outside assistance from someone dropping me a tube, etc, because it was against the rules and because I knew that it was the new tires that I had put on 2 weeks ago making the tubes blow.

i don't understand - i'd gladly take a time penanlty over a DNF?
    2005-08-17 7:32 PM

Master
    portland, or
    Last year at IMC I went into the race injured (two herniated disks).

Developed an eye infection three days before the race.

Kicked in the face hard early in the swim.

Disk wheel started making very odd noise while descending at 52 mph. Disk wheel fell aprt - literally - a little over two miles from T2. After 5-10 minutes of trying to make it rideable, I walked to T2 with bike on shoulder (I was under 7 hours for swim/T1/Bike when "wheel fell off").

By mile 9 of the run my back was spasming. By mile 10 I had severe pain shooting down my left side and front of hip and leg. Walked limping the rest of the way for a 13 hour finish.

51 weeks later and I still can't ride a bike or run. Surgery on Monday.

BTW, lived in Foster City in 1990. Fun place. I'll check out your report. An IM is a long day, a lot can happen.

scott
    2005-08-17 7:38 PM
    in reply to: #227685

User image

wow, yaqui. this puts things into perspective for me - i'm done complaining.

Foster City has changed - no more open space. nothing. zilch. but the bike path is still there.
    2005-08-17 8:17 PM
    in reply to: #227685

User image

Champion
    Williamston, Michigan

yaqui - 2005-08-17 7:32 PM Last year at IMC I went into the race injured (two herniated disks). Developed an eye infection three days before the race. Kicked in the face hard early in the swim. Disk wheel started making very odd noise while descending at 52 mph. Disk wheel fell aprt - literally - a little over two miles from T2. After 5-10 minutes of trying to make it rideable, I walked to T2 with bike on shoulder (I was under 7 hours for swim/T1/Bike when "wheel fell off". By mile 9 of the run my back was spasming. By mile 10 I had severe pain shooting down my left side and front of hip and leg. Walked limping the rest of the way for a 13 hour finish. 51 weeks later and I still can't ride a bike or run. Surgery on Monday. BTW, lived in Foster City in 1990. Fun place. I'll check out your report. An IM is a long day, a lot can happen. scott

And this is why I am letting my hip HEAL before I get back at it...thanks for the story tho....makes me feel better about all the time off and good luck with your surgery.....You will probably wake up and not have leg pain

2005-08-18 9:32 AM

Regular
    wow....I had a touch of stomach cramp in my last race and thought I was having a disaster as I had to walk some on the run due to the big hills and dehydration......herniated disks....knowing about it and still doing the ironman takes big brass ones.....and suffering a broken hip is pretty extreme.....you guys rock.

Kevin

2005-08-18 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
    Westchester County NY
    Hmmmmmmm, where to start with this one race:

1. Missed my wave start by about 45 seconds because I was still in the portajohn.

2. 6 knot currents caused my Olympic distance swim to go from its normal 30 minutes to 57 minutes. (93 starters out of 400 pulled out of the water after 1:15!)

3. Bike course flooded in one part that came up to my bottom bracket.

4. Run course flooded in one section where water came over my knees.

5. Those two flooded sections had to be done twice on way out, and back in.

6. Had an all time personal worst for Olympic Distance.

BUT......

I won my age group because only 3 of us finished, and one of the 3 won top master.

2005-08-18 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
    Fairport, NY

In my first Oly I took a rather solid kick to the boys a couple hundred yards into the swim, became somewhat disoriented and rounded 3 bouys. The swim course consisted of 2 buoys.

On the bright side, I wasn't last out of the water in my age-group, and I went home knowing I can handle the swim portion of a half-IM.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you during a race Rss Feed