General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practicing Transitions & Transition Area Setup Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-28 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: Practicing Transitions & Transition Area Setup
My first tri, a sprint, is now in less than 2 weeks. I've done some brick workouts, but haven't practiced transitions. What would you suggest?

And, also, how do you organize your transition area? Do you have a bucket or bag with everything in it? Then lay it out on a towel?

Thanks!!!

2011-03-28 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3419003

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Practicing Transitions & Transition Area Setup

My transition area:

Bike racked by seat with front wheel facing out.  Helmet on aero bars with straps draped outside.  Sunglasses open lying inside helmet.  Shoes already clipped to pedals (practice, practice, practice and then go practice some more before trying this).  Small towel laid out next to bike.  By small I mean a hand towel.  Hat for the run on towel.  Race belt with number laid across hat.  Running shoes, fitted with elastic laces, sitting on top of race belt.  If HIM or longer, socks rolled and sitting on top of running shoes (put the socks on, then roll them down off your feet until there's only about an inch left that's not rolled up like a donut).

T1: Pull swim cap and goggles off as you jog to transition.  Throw goggles and cap down behind run stuff.  Roll on socks.  Put on sunglasses.  Put on helmet and fasten chin strap.  Grab bike and run to mount line, steering bike by holding on to seat not handlebars.  Flying mount onto bike.  Get up to speed before putting feet in pedals.  Most people forget this step and its why just beyond the mount line can look like a bunch of drunks trying to ride.

T2: Unstrap shoes, take feet out and ride the last few hundred feet with feet on top of shoes.  While coasting, stand on left leg and swing right leg over (so you're coasting along with your whole body on the left side of the bike).  Hop off at dismount line.  No need to ever come to a full stop.  Rack bike nose first (opposite of how you had it to start).  Remove helmet.  Slip on running shoes.  Grab race belt and hat.  Head for exit putting hat and belt on as you go.

Despite being your first tri, there's no reason you can't go with a clean set up like this.  The only change I would suggest is not to try mounting with your cycling shoes clipped in.  Instead, have them sitting just in front of your running shoes in T1 and put them on right after your socks.  I would still suggest getting your feet out of the shoes coming into T2, even if you don't do the flying dismount as described above.  Stop like you normally would, but leave the shoes on the bike.

Edited by dgunthert 2011-03-28 10:07 PM
2011-03-28 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

It is a good idea to pre-think the Transition for your first tri.My first year I always had far too much gear in Transition "just in case".  It just ended up as clutter.

Make sure you pre-think some ideas on how you'll hook your bike on so that it won't fall off but you'll be able to un-rack it easly. Most bike racks are steel tubes approx. 4 foot high and 2" in diameter.  IMHO the best way to rack a bike is by the rear of the saddle - you can just grab it and run forward. But if you have to rack itby the handlebars that's ok too - it won't cost you that much time.

Helmet should be hanging on the bike - often on handlebars. Sunglasses inside helmet.Make sure the helmet is ready to wear- i.e. straps adjusted, untangled and buckle open.

Shoes set together ready to step into with Laces / buckles open. Socks (if you're wearing them) inside the shoes. I keep a hand-towel by them if there will be beachsand to rub-off the foot but I don't use it to dry my feet.

I never keep anything else in transition (unless its a long-distance race).  

If its raining or muddy I'll put a piece of cardboard under my shoes and a plastic bag over them. 

Its a good idea to run through the sequence of events so you don't get confused in the heat of the moment.  Have fun and good luck on your first tri.

2011-03-28 10:26 PM

User image

imsmiley88 - 2011-03-28 7:15 PM My first tri, a sprint, is now in less than 2 weeks. I've done some brick workouts, but haven't practiced transitions. What would you suggest? And, also, how do you organize your transition area? Do you have a bucket or bag with everything in it? Then lay it out on a towel? Thanks!!!

A couple of questions.

Do you plan on having your bike shoes clipped into your bike?

What all have you thought you would need in the transition area?

Are you wearing the same clothing for swim, bike & run?

The less you have in your transition area the better.

A couple of things that I do is have two towels one on the ground to mainly mark my area and one in case I want to wipe my feet, hands or face off. If you are not clipping your shoes into your bike (if you don't feel comfortable now I'd suggest waiting until your next tri to experiment with that) put your second towel over both your run and bike shoes to keep stuff from falling into them.

Good luck, don't sweat the details on race day and just enjoy the experience, everyone doing the race is a winner!!!

Keep it simple and practice it as much as you can. It's a part of the race where a little practice will give you several minutes edge over some of your competition.
2011-03-29 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
There are some great youtube videos... check them out!
2011-03-29 6:23 AM

User image

This was mine for Mooseman. The bag in the foreground went to the side between the racks (along with a handful of other people's bags) and the towel with that stuff was all there was under my bike.

2011-03-29 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Here is a picture of my transition area from a race last summer:

As far as transitions, I would run through a simulated T1 and T2 a few times before the race. In your first race you want to know how you will proceed through transition and what you will need to do while there. I would walk through the first couple times and then do it at a faster pace so that you get a feeling what it will be like on race day.

On race day, when you rack your bike, walk through transition from the swim exit to your bike and out to the mount line and then from the mount line back to your stall and off to the run.

Here is a link to a thread I started about transition areas last summer; hope it helps.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Shane
2011-03-29 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Do you have any triathlete friends? If so ask them to help you.

I had a coach who had us do a clinic where we practiced transitions. It was great fun and way to learn and practice.

Set up a transition area in flat area, assuming you don't have access to pool or lake, then run around a bit ideally have your feet wet, then transition to your bike, then ride around the block or do .5-1 mile bike, come back transition to your run gear and go run 2-3'. Repeat this maybe 4-5 times to get timing and get so how you set up your transition and what order to do things down pat.

For me I have towel folded up so a bit of the towel is sticking out so I can wipe my feet while I put my helmet and sunglasses on. I have my helmet so when I lift it and put it on the front is forward. Then I can slip my feet in my bike shoes and velcro them shut, grab my bike and run out with me on the left side of my bike holding my bike stem with my right hand as I run.

Cross the mount line get on my bike via cross mount and off I go.

Dismount bike, hold stem with right hand, be on left side of my bike and run to my rack. Rack my bike by saddle nose, remove my helmet put behind my running shoes, take off bike shoes, put socks and running shoes. Grab race number belt and hat put them on as I run out of transitions.

Watch the you tube videos on transitions if you want but some of what they do is not maybe the best to do for first timers. Clipping shoes and running barefoot to mount, is something you need to practice and be confident in your ability to execute it well.

2011-03-29 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
El Paso, Texas

My first ever transition was a disaster.  Make sure you have the kind of shoelaces that don't need to be tied.  Don't sit down to put on shoes—I did and it felt a little too good.

If you are assigned a bike racking spot, be sure to do a couple of dry runs.  Enter transition, go left two sets of racks, bike is 1/2 way down on right.  Don't be like the person who exits the mall and can't remember where they parked their car, the spectators told me there were a few of these at my tri.

2011-03-29 8:28 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
x2 on keep it simple and avoid the clutter.  Leave the bucket at home.  Those pictures posted earlier are great examples of how transition should look.
2011-03-29 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3419192

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

DanielG - 2011-03-29 6:23 AM This was mine for Mooseman. The bag in the foreground went to the side between the racks (along with a handful of other people's bags) and the towel with that stuff was all there was under my bike.

Much like I described.  My only criticism would be the way the bike is racked.  Face the front wheel out for two reasons.  First, the way you've got it racked here has your helmet on the wrong side from all your other stuff and leaves much more of your bike to pull out from under the rack.  That's more chance of getting caught up on the two bikes that will be crammed in on either side of you.  Second (nitpicky here), the USAT official should make you do it.  Since the number for your spot is on the side the photo is taken from, that means the majority of your bike should be on that side of the rack.  So, technically, your bike should either be racked by the bars if facing in or racked by the seat if facing out.

Shane's pic is pretty much perfect.  How can you have a slow transition when your spot looks like that?

Edited by dgunthert 2011-03-29 11:39 AM

2011-03-29 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I like hanging the bike by the seat but at my last tri the rack was too low to hang the bike by the seat so I had to use the handlebars.  Also I have had my helmet knocked off the bike by another competitor so now I just leave it on the ground.  I have a bad back and can't put my shoes on unless I can sit on something so I do take a bucket, sorry.
2011-03-29 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

You've got lots of good info here.  I'll add one more link to the list:  Here's something I wrote for my mentor group a while back about transitions:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=236860&start=277

Among other things, it contains links to a couple of YouTube videos of elites and pros doing their transitions.

2011-03-29 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3419177

User image

Oriondriver02 - 2011-03-29 12:51 AM There are some great youtube videos... check them out!

x2

The pictures in this thread are great...and IMO a good setup fosters a good transition...but you still need to know what to do when you get to your spot.  Youtube videos are great for showing how a smooth transition should flow.  What order you do things, how you grab your bike, etc.  You would think these type of things are simple, but in a race environment, you kind of lose your wits.  And having a mental idea of what you're supposed to do prior really helps so you don't actually have to think it through.

2011-03-29 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

The responses above are all from advanced triathletes doing things in the most competitive way.

You are just doing your FIRST triathlon!  I suggest you do what I did in my first triathlon and just keep it simple and don't get caught up in trying to 'race' the transitions.

To that end, I suggest you do the following things that advanced triathletes do differently:

• put on socks, then cycling shoes in transition
  • feel free to walk to the bike mount
  • after the bike, walk back to the rack
  • put on the running shoes, even tie laces if that's what you have (double knot)
  • depending on your wardrobe options, don't feel like a loser if you throw on a cycling jersey in transition

To answer your specific questions:

yes practice, but practice the process without a 'race' mentality.  Just set up a transition area before your next brick.  Walk up to the transition area barefoot...ride...run...all from the towel in your driveway.

Organize this way:  Bath towel or beach towel folded to a 2'x2' size.  probably needs to be in front or behind your bike as there will not likely be enough space between bikes.

helmet and sunglasses are on the towel.  Sungless inside upside down helmet is smart.  next to it are cycling shoes and optional socks.  That's the 'bike' quadrant of the towel.

The 'run' quadrant has running shoes and anything else you bring on the run (for me that's just my race belt with number pinned on).  If it's a really wet drenching rain day...I might have a dry pair of socks there in a ziploc for blister avoidance.

half the towel is open and available to wipe crud off your feet before putting on cycling shoes.

When I get to the race, the first thing I do is check in, get my race number, get body marked, get timing chip, then set up transition....very early--to get a good rack spot and get the 'details' done so I can start my warm-up in a relaxed state of mind.  I will warm-up in training shoes, not my race shoes that are in transition.  If I warm up on the bike, I do that with my road bike that I also brought to the race, and a road helmet.  That way I don't need to get anything out of transition.  But if you simply do a run warmup, followed by a swim warmup (starting at about 20 minutes before race start) then a bike warmup probably isn't useful.

I don't use a bucket, but if you need to sit to change shoes then it can be a great idea as long as there is room for it without being a hindrance to the other competitors.  When extremely winded, your balance goes to hell and you may not be able to change shoes while standing.  Ideally you won't be pushing that hard in T1 or T2, but if you find you are, sit on the ground.

And have fun! 

2011-03-29 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

You can set up a transition station in your living room and practice at night.  I'll change in my bike gear, run around the room, and then change to my run gear.. rinse and repeat.  Your brain will feel like mush when you get out out the water - the less you have to think and more muscle memory you have - the better your transitions will be.  Also visualize your transitions as well, it will help.

Also two more bits of advice regarding the transition area -

1) dont get in anyones way.  If you have to sit down or adjust your bike, make sure ppl can get past you.

2) you mount the bike AFTER the line and dismount BEFORE the line - this is a common mistake many first timers make.  (I volunteered as a 'bike catcher' one year at a dismount line and prevented many crashes)  It doesnt matter if you walk or run (see rule #1 though) but leave the mount/dismount area quickly and clear so those that arent walking can get on or off their bike as fast as they can (I have seen ppl carry their bike shoes and put them on at the mount line - laying their bike on the ground at the same time)

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2011-03-29 2:17 PM

2011-03-29 3:51 PM

New user

As someone who is new to triathlon (I did three races last year), and probably up to MOP this year I don't mind taking a few extra seconds, but I still want a fast transition.

If you have road bike shoes you are almost certainly better off putting them on in transition. Triathlon shoes are made to slide on easily and have only one strap, my road bike shoes have three straps. I sit down on a towel to put on my shoes and use a bike water bottle for a quick rinse. Even though I have road bike shoes with a slick bottom and big cleat I have no problem running in them.

Remember, it is very difficult to put a shirt on while you are wet Undecided. Practice riding your bike at race pace then trying to jump off and transition - I always take it easy at the end of a ride so this was something different for me. Some sort of elastic shoelaces will be a big help, I like Lock Laces.

Good luck Smile

2011-03-29 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My Kids love the t1 practice at my house. We go outside when its cool.

I setup my t1 transition area. Walk about 30 feat away I start running towards mys  t1 then both kids throw buckets of  ice cold water on me about 10 feet from my practice t1.  It gets me used to being confused when I am in t1

After I practice that way the real race is easy

or my other way

is to use the mantra

t1=Sock Sock Shoe Shoe Helmet go

t2=Helmet Shoe Shoe SHoe Shoe Number Go

2011-03-29 4:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Many good answers here, so I won't repeat what many have already covered.  One important thing I didn't see mentioned is race number.  Most (if not all) races I have done require the race number to be worn during the bike and the run.  In transition set-up, I put my race belt with my number attached in my helmet under my sunglasses, so I will be sure to put it on right after I put my sunglasses on and before I put my helmet on.  Also, be sure to put your helmet on and fasten the strap before you grab your bike leave the rack.  I believe it is a USAT rule (the helmet being fastened).

I will reiterate one thing - practice transitions!  You will feel much more comfortable and will be able to best come up with a set-up that is most efficient for you, and you will also quickly see that you don't need a bunch of extra stuff.

Have fun and good luck!

2011-03-29 7:44 PM

User image

Regular
These are great!  I'm learning a lot.  Just did my 3rd tri on Sunday and am finally learning not to bring so much stuff (my first tri I brought everything plus the kitchen sink "just in case". Love the tip about keeping the sunglasses in the helmet. On Sunday I was halfway through my bike when I realized my  sunglasses were back in transition on my towel.
2011-03-29 9:04 PM

Extreme Veteran

good points here. being this is your first Tri, i'd follow what JeffY says.

for a Sprint tri, step back and "think" about what you need for the race. Typically when you lay it out it's less than what you think:

• SMALL towel  placed on the side where your front wheel touches the ground (please do not have a half folded beach towel laying out, not needed).
  • If you use a bag/bucket/basket to carry your stuff in, take it back to the car or keep it off ot the side of the transition area when you have unloaded. depending on rack size/density, the clutter can really get in the way and be cumbersome for everyone.
  • walk from the swim in to your rack position, count rows, look for landmarks, etc that you can easily reference durring the race. do this as many times as  you need. 
  • walk from the bike in to your rack position, know your location to re-rack your bike. do this as many times as you need.

T1

• shoes (cycling if using clipless, if not then just your running shoes)
  • Helmet
  • Sunglasses

T2

• Running shoes (if wearing cycling shoes, if not you're set)
  • race number (invest in a race belt, very beneficial for a small cost)
  • visor or hat if so desired

Last but not least, have fun! this all could sound intimidating, but after a couple of dry runs you'll be right as rain..

enjoy!

2011-03-29 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Wow! Thanks for all of the great advice! Yes, I'm intimidated! But, I know I can do this. I've trained for the hard part, and now I need to get over my 'fear' of the transitions.

Two things I need to buy: a race belt & Lace Locks (or something like that). I actually wear my regular running shoes to bike (so far!), so I won't have to change my shoes.

I am still a little confused about the race number -whether or not I need it while biking. But, I will try to clarify that before my race.

I'm off to watch some YouTube videos, too! Thanks again... this was incredibly helpful!

EXPERIOR, I just read your post about transitions and watched the videos. That was incredibly helpful. Thanks!!!

Edited by imsmiley88 2011-03-29 9:45 PM
2011-03-30 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3419819

User image

dgunthert - 2011-03-29 12:38 PM

Much like I described.  My only criticism would be the way the bike is racked.  Face the front wheel out for two reasons.  First, the way you've got it racked here has your helmet on the wrong side from all your other stuff and leaves much more of your bike to pull out from under the rack.  That's more chance of getting caught up on the two bikes that will be crammed in on either side of you.  Second (nitpicky here), the USAT official should make you do it.  Since the number for your spot is on the side the photo is taken from, that means the majority of your bike should be on that side of the rack.  So, technically, your bike should either be racked by the bars if facing in or racked by the seat if facing out.

Shane's pic is pretty much perfect.  How can you have a slow transition when your spot looks like that?

Now look at it again with a bit more information:

Everything on the towel is for running. I have no need to be on that side of the bar when I get my bike so I'm on the handlebar side.
Grab the seat, drop it from the bar and pull it towards me so the rear wheel goes under the bar. The majority of the bike is already out from under the bar as I start.
The two bikes beside me are already there, that was as crowded as it got on that race, they made sure you had plenty of room.
All the numbers were on the same side, the RD said there wasn't a requirement to rack facing any particular way.
2011-03-30 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3420831

User image

imsmiley88 - 2011-03-29 10:28 PM

I am still a little confused about the race number -whether or not I need it while biking. But, I will try to clarify that before my race.

Probably not but check with the RD to make sure.

Put your race number on a race belt. Loop the race belt through your hat or visor. When you get to T2 grab the hat or visor and start running to "RUN OUT" spot and put the hat and race belt on as you go.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practicing Transitions & Transition Area Setup Rss Feed