USAT
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 18s
Overall Rank = 12/300
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30 to get the bike tires aired up and load the bikes in the back of the truck for the 40 minute drive up North to Oxnard. Ashley was racing the Duathlon and our friend Michelle Greathouse was racing the Oly...she drove up with us as well. Had breakfast at about 5am and was all loaded and ready to go at 530...right on time. Arrived at the site at about 615 and prepaid for premium parking and cruised right in. We literally parked just a few yards from transition and set up was a snap. We had plenty of time, racks were marked and everything ran super smooth.

Ashley and Michelle peeled off and went to their racks to set up. We met back up before the start, gave some words of encouragement and Michelle and I headed down to the beach while Ashley took off on the first portion of her race.
Event warmup:

When we got down to the beach, we had a nice walk all the way down to the start. Kind of far actually...lol. The pre-race meeting was just a few minutes long and I headed into the water. I felt a little tired all morning and was a little worried about my energy for the race. I got in the water and swam to the first buoy...I felt just "ok"...just have to wait and see how I felt when the race started...I was a tiny bit concerned but it was what it was at that point. Nothing I could do about it so I just headed back to the beach and waited for my wave.
Swim
  • 22m 47s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was rather uneventful. I just felt good the whole time. I had basically zero contact with anyone, rounded all the buoys well and felt fast and strong the whole time. The only thing I didn't do that I usually do is draft. Why? Because there was no one to draft off of. One guy got ahead of me at the start and I swam over to him to get on his feet but he pulled away at a pace I couldn't hold. So then there was no one left. The waves were only 3 minutes apart and before I knew it we were into the back of the previous female wave. It was easy to pick my way through, but there was no one around to share the work with.

Like I said, felt strong and fast the whole time. The time has the 1/4 mile sand run up the beach included in it...if I had to guess, I would say I was swimming a 1:12-1:15/100 pace.

Got a little messed up swimming to the beach because I couldn't find the exit for a long time. By the time I could sight it, I was a little off course, but not bad. Caught a couple waves and was in and started the long run to transition. That run is a bitch! Very happy with the swim though.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Great transition. Pretty fast time...not the fastest, but only a few seconds back from the fastest times.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 54m 41s
  • 22 miles
  • 24.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan here for this ride was to try and hold about 10-15 watts higher than a couple weeks ago at Breath Of Life. I was able to do it, but it was a much harder ride than BOL. I wanted to see what this would do to my run. More on that later. Got up to speed quickly and I was surprised. This was because the wind was the opposite as last year...we had a tail wind on the out and a brisk headwind coming back...and a crosswind in between. There were a couple smalls hills on the course that I just stayed down in aero for and only brought the watts up a tiny bit for the quick climbs.

My sister, husband and two kids were on the course and they made signs which was so cool to see twice on the looping course.

Only had one incident with drafting with a guy that I passed that sat about 1-2 bikes behind me for sometime. I looked back a couple times and then swerved hard out of my line to suggest to him that I was going to let him ride behind me like that. He got the message and dropped back and off the pace.

Then, I almost died...yup, dead. I was coming up to an intersection that was being controlled by multiple police and traffic cops. There obviously was a bit of confusion as a grey Jetta pulled right out. I got up out of aero and onto the brakes and locked up the rear wheel and skidded sideways. I was sure I was going right into the side of this car as this lady was looking around and continued to move forward. At the last minute, she stopped because people were yelling and I was able to barely skirt around the front of the car. This all happened in about 2-3 seconds. It wasn't really scary, I just thought I was going to eat shit. I was SO lucky she stopped. There was no where for me to go if she had continued on. Very lucky....so from here on out, I was just glad to still be riding. I put it behind me quickly and moved on.

Finished the bike with a great time and was interested to see how my run would go.

Maybe back the watts down a touch.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Really fast transition...3rd fastest overall baby...and only 2 seconds off being the fastest.

Absolutely Nothing
Run
  • 42m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

So now we find out if the bike hurt the run...well, yes and no. I was definitely hurting more than I was at Breath Of Life. I really felt like crap when I took off but when I came into transition, there were no bikes on the racks. I knew I was really high up and had to keep pushing. By the first mile, I wanted to stop...lol...I wanted to walk so bad. My legs were on fire. I kept pushing though. The run has three or four distinct sections and I just broke it up as best I could to stay in it mentally. Halfway through the first loop, I kept wondering if I was going to be able to make a second loop at all. At this point, there were very few people on the course...again, another sign I could even be in the lead of my AG. KEEP PUSHING. Got to the turn around and headed back out for another loop. My legs were actually starting to feel a bit better and that gave me the strength to finish out the run. By the second loop there were a ton of people on the course and I was slowly getting reeled in by a couple runners. As they went by I was just pleading that I didn't see anyone in my AG. Not till about 1 mile to go was I passed by a dude with 37 on his leg...ah man...so I picked up the pace as best I could for a sprint finish. I hung behind him and was going to make a move with about 50 yards to go and really go blowing by him so he couldn't respond. Problem was, I didn't know if I could do it. I'm pretty good at race tactics, but that all gets thrown out the window if you physically are unable to do it. Then, to my relief, he turned around to go back out on his second loop and I was all alone to the finish....thank god.

Now, the reason I say yes and no to the extra watts on the bike hurting the run...it hurt me...it hurt bad...but I still had a faster run split than Breath of life by about :40 seconds and both are extremely comparable courses and according to my Garmin, both very well measured at 6.2 miles.

So, Yes the bike pace hurt...it hurt because it put me on the line...it put the race in jeopardy. It's a fine line. That's why I did it. If I did have to stop and walk, I would have learned something far more valuable than just cruising the bike and having a decent run split. As it is now, I know I can do it. It's going to hurt but I now have the confidence to know I can push the bike a little harder if I have to and still get to the finish line. This becomes far more critical when racing other opponents and not just the course. If I know I have to stay with someone on the bike in order to have a chance, I need to know that I'm still going to be able to run and where to draw that line. Of course the line will move as the bike and run fitness improve...but you need to know where that line is in order to race other people...not just yourself.

Nothing...I'm proud of this run.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I crossed the line, a couple people came up and introduced themselves to me. Pacific John and a friend of my brother in law. They were great to talk to. I didn't really do anything to warm down. Just got some water and was glad to be done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

At Breath of Life there were so many people that I knew and got a lot of support on the course. At this race, it was 5x more...lol. I can't even tell you how many times I heard "Go Dusty". Shit, I didn't even know where it was coming from half the time. One guy yelled it from a car as I was going over the bridge on the bike. This is so cool. I met so many people like Trheado from here as well as tons of people that just came up and introduced themselves to me. So awesome.

As always I need to thank the "team" that I surround myself with in order to progress in my training. My Sponsors, 101 Pipe & Casing, Inc. / Kurt Orban Partners LLC / K Swiss / Wins Wheels. Of course my spectacular coach Brian Stover who is going through some tough times right now...this one was definitely for him. Stay strong coach...also, Fortius Racing Team with so much support I can't even convey. They were all over the place cheering and getting me through...CVMM..have to thank Nancy and the entire CVMM team for their support as well. You guys are great.

Ashley too...she's always there for me no matter what. She did the Duathlon and won her AG with an awesome bike split. WTG Ashley, love you so much...thanks for everything you do for me.

Last updated: 2010-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:47 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/33
Overall: 20/300
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Axis
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:41 | 22 miles | 24.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/33
Overall: 9/300
Wind: Some
Course: Fairly flat with some slight inclines and declines
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:39 | 06.21 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/33
Overall: 33/300
Course: Two Loop flat course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: Stawberry Fields Triathlon

2011-07-18 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3601431

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Stawberry Fields Triathlon

Dusty, Great job and congrats in the AG win, way to walk the razors edge, very inspiring race report!!

2011-07-18 12:48 PM

User image

If I had been there, I would have yelled "Go Dusty" too, so there's one more fan.  Great rce, thanks for the insight on the execution.  You and the other D did very well, congrats on the 1 AG
2011-07-18 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Well, you only got an "alright, Dusty" from me when you were up on the podium, but you sure didn't look like you were hurting on the run course (you were heading in on your first lap when I was heading out).  Congrats on the win!
2011-07-18 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
Great write up.  Congrats on the AG, now lets go for overall wins!
2011-07-18 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
glad to you see in your form bro....great win...

2011-07-18 7:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-18 9:12 PM

Expert
Palm Springs, California
When you came down the chute, you didn't look like you were hurting at all! I had to do a double take at the clock since most 2:0X finishers look thrashed.

Edited by Pacific John 2011-07-18 9:12 PM
2011-07-19 9:42 AM

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
I think I hide the pain well...
2011-07-19 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3602306

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

Destroyer - 2011-07-18 12:42 PM Great write up.  Congrats on the AG, now lets go for overall wins!

That seems  to be the logical progression from here!

2011-07-20 2:03 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job, Dusty, and yep, for an Olympic the run is never going to feel good because the bike is so intense. Really, the bike is pretty close to all out for an hour or so, but you won't blow up and won't ne walking if your fitness is solid. I would argue it's really tough for a well trained athlete to bike too hard in an Olympic. they still should be able to execute the run to their potential. Now, long course is totally different, however. there you can put yourself in a hole on the bike you can't bounce back from.

2011-07-25 11:27 PM

New user

Westlake Village, Ca
You Jerk! You saw me when you were going through the bike out when I was coming through the bike in and you didn't mention that in your race report! That was the highlight of your race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stawberry Fields Triathlon Rss Feed