Overall Rank = 937/2150
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 25/82
Pre-race routine:

Ate well all week
Electrolyte supplementation 2 days before--B/L/D
Up at 3am for the usual coffee and bagel and H20
Event warmup:

20' swim and a lot of chatter with Dino! Also 20 CHO of carb pro.
Swim
  • 48h 44m
  • 2120 yards
  • 2h 17m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of my better swims and a highlight of my race. I started wide to avoid all the people that walk for a long way so I could settle into a rhythm immediately. By doing this, I was able to eliminate the usual panic I feel at the start of a race. I also tested out drafting which I had never done before. I was amazed how much less energy you expend and that I can maintain a relatively close distance to someone and no get the crap kicked out of me. The person I drafted suddenly slowed down and breast stroked so on I went. It was harder for me to find other feet. Either they were too fast and lost me or they were so slow, I was actually faster. I exited the water at 46:39 and made my way up the long sand beach to get to T1. Probably the best news of all is I had zero stomach issues from swallowing air. Focusing on drafting and that initial wide swim are the reasons behind it and both of those suggestions came from Brett. Thanks BP!!
What would you do differently?:

The obvious is learn to swim faster, but I am pretty darn content with how this went for now.
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

This is 1:30 better than last year and I still have a ton of room for improvement starting with actually executing my shoes on the pedals. I walk out of T1 and I know that is a time suck.
Bike
  • 2h 55m
  • 56.1 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the first race where I was sweating within the first 5m. I knew it was going to be a hot day so I purposely drank as much as I could. I found that I ran out of water in my front mount and was forced to use my downtube back stock which I was hoping not to do until late in the race. I did take in 80oz of H20, but I think in retrospect I could have used more. I didn't go to the bathroom on the bike at all. Also ingested 320 calories, 25CHO/hour which is a little light, but my sustained energy/gel concentrate tasted like crap. It was borderline hot. Everytime I drank it it gave me a slight stomach ache. Took a Maalox and 1:30 and that helped. So did burping :). Also took in three salt sticks.

Bodywise my left adductor starting really hurting and my toes were on fire. Both have happened to me before. I was a little worried about how that would affect the run, but told myself to stay in the moment.

I went into this ride knowing I could not look at any data. I'm trying to get a better feel of how to ride via RPE. It was weird. I was supposed to be in upper Z3 and I felt like I was there. Post analysis, I was right there on HR, but not power. I left something on the table here. I thought for sure I would be closer to 20mph.

The bright spot is I was able to grab water at each of the three aid stations for the first time. Normally, I stop to refill. Such a dork.

I got off the bike and I was cooked. I was so hot, I knew the run would take all that I had to give.

Well, look at my data and adjust accordingly. I know there was a reason my coach gave me this exercise, but it was a little frustrating. Of course, my PT could die at any moment during a race and I would be forced to do what I did today.

Drink more because the Sufferfest was about to begin.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Walked my bike to the rack because my feet and adductor were crabbing at me. Grabbed my FB, threw on my shoes and walk/ran.

Leave my shoes on the pedals
Run
  • 2h 17m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I am only going to say this once--it was frickin' HOT! I know that's not a good excuse for today's performance because it was hot for everyone. I glanced at the clock as I was running out and I knew I could lay down a 2:08 and still break my back up 6 hour goal.

THe first two miles were tough as I tried to work through body pain. I spent too much time focusing on how hot I was and not enough time hunkering down. I would start to run, be tired/hot and walk. I finaly told myself that if I didn't get a move on I would be sporting a 7 hour result. I grabbed water and three it on me and drank it. I grabbed three cups of ice and threw it down my sports bra. It made a funny clinking noise and that took my mind off things for a while. I would dig some of it out and hold it and rub it on my face and neck and that helped a lot. If I ran out before the next aid station is was like the life went out of me. I knew that my sub 6 was slipping away, but because I was not allowed to look at data I really had no idea by how much.

The Carb Pro I had in my FB tasted like crap (sound familiar). I drank one bottle down and thought I would toss it, so backed off. Did take about half of the second with the same result. When I walked, the nasuea would go away. Maybe I should have just puked it up and got on with it. Not sure.

I trotted my way into the chute and saw my time--a whopping 16 seconds better than last year and very far from the goal I had set for myself which was 5:45.

Have better mental discipline to keep going. I wasn't cramping, I wasn't puking so there really isn't a great excuse for walking.

Not having gone to the bathroom in the race or until 5pm when I got back home probably points to some dehydration as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like I might pass out after I crossed the line so was taken to the med tent. There were so many people in there that I decided to leave. I headed down to my personal ice bath, Lake Michigan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat is obvious, but also mental discipline. There were plenty of other people getting it done, just not me.

Event comments:

In the end, there were several bright spots in this race for me, the things I learned how to do on the swim will aid me greatly for IM. Same can be said for the bike water hand off.

I also have things to work on related to the run. I have 6 weeks to get it right!

Last updated: 2010-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
48:44:00 | 2120 yards | 2h 17m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 63/82
Overall: 0/2150
Performance: Good
Suit: Vendetta
Course: short swim to the first turn and then 1m Point to Point, my favorite
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:00 | 56.1 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/82
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat to rolling hills. Nothing extreme at all.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:17:28 | 13.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/82
Performance: Bad
Course: Double loop, fairly exposed, one larger hill to contend with twice. Otherwise flat.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2011-07-18 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3601898

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine

FIRST! Boy you seem to be beating yourself up in the run section. Look at the positives:

You did a great swim with no GI issues or fear:

You had a damn good bike, and if you had gone harder that run might have been even worse;

By not using your data you learned how close your RPE is to the level you want to be in. Thus next time you can do this and be nearer if not spot on!

You made it through a killer run. You say it was hot for everyone, but trust me for a 6 foot person who could race as a Clydesdale, I would have been walking most of that course.

Knowing your focus and dedication I am sure this will be a terrific stepping stone going forward.

AND aq PR is a PR even if it is only 16 seconds! Your glass is more than half full!

Edited by DougRob 2011-07-18 12:21 PM
2011-07-18 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Congrats on your race Suzy, especially the swim.  Fortunately, there is little chance we'll have such HEAT at IMWI!
2011-07-18 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Minnow,  great job in really tough conditions, and eye on the prize girlfriend!  You and BP got done today what he wanted, you improved your swim and gained lots of confidence  ....  and biked well with no data. 

And after all, running is your thing!  That is where you started this journey.  But remember ...  It was f'hot.  Really f'hot!  This TRAINING race will pay huge dividends when it comes to training and mentally preparing for your "A" race.  

AND, thanks again for hanging with me before the swim.  I know you like to hibernate pre-race, but the nervous chatter sure helped keep the nerves (at least mine) in check!   

Now, Drink up! 

2011-07-18 12:35 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Congratulatins on pushing through a tough day.

AWESOME job on the swim!  That kind of heat is a bast to deal with.

2011-07-18 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Great job, it was a tough day out there!

2011-07-18 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Great rr.  Thought about you during my race.....can't imagine how you went that fast in the that kind of heat.  Truly a warm-up for Moo.

Did you freeze your SE?

2011-07-18 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great job out there and based on your profile picture and your self-description of being the smallest adult female in the field, I think I saw you chick me right at the end when you passed and finished about 3 or 4 people ahead of me!  Also....you looked good & strong on the run.....NICE job!
2011-07-18 3:43 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Suzy... you looked totally tough whenever I saw you!!

Way to be positive about things!!!

Nice job in hellish weather
2011-07-18 5:53 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Suzy, you did a great job out there in ridiculous conditions.  I think you have tremendous mental discipline.  Way to rock that swim, and your bike and run were awesome given the brutal heat and humidity.  Nothing to hang your head about and as this really smart friend has been telling me...EYE ON THE PRIZE!!!!

See you at MOO!!!! 

2011-07-18 5:55 PM

User image

Master

Yay for rocking your swim!!!  You know that makes me sooooo proud and happy!!

Yay for your HR being right on for the bike!! Maybe power wasn't where you wanted it, but don't you need to adjust to conditions? I dunno, I think it sounds like you did well.

And don't get down on yourself for wussing out on the run. You didn't. You hung in there and got 'er done. And yeah, a PR is a PR is a PR so take it!! Awesome super-duper effort on a grizzly day. You, my friend, are still an Ironman and get to show us again, in 6 weeks, how that is done!!!

2011-07-18 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3602660

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I think I saw you on the run too!  And the clunking ice in the sports bra, hahah, yep me too...it sounded so loud to me, I thought everyone could hear it.

Can't wait to hear how your IM goes.  As far as mental toughness, I think you're there, especially after this sufferfest!  Great job!

2011-07-18 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
good job. 
2011-07-18 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I think you are amazing! I know you are!! And a great athlete with another HIM and PR too. 
2011-07-18 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Congrats Suzy and X2 on what everyone else said above.   Sounds like you had a really good learning experience.  I'm impressed that you toughed it out on the run in those temps - heat/humidity still kills my runs.
2011-07-18 9:38 PM

User image

Looks like you put together a good race in tough conditions.

I really admire your mental toughness, and physical toughness too for that matter.

That sub 6 is yours next time...but you have something else to look forward to right now.

Looking forward to tracking you at Moo!

2011-07-18 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3602939

User image

What Doug said. Under reasonable conditions you'd have had that sub-6 in the bag. No question. And under those unreasonable conditions you PR'd. That's a good race.
2011-07-18 10:10 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

wow...that was bigger than i expected....but...

what a great accomplishment and i think it deserves over the top glitter and animation!

you know i have to confess that the part of your RR i love the best is how you felt about the swim

awesome job Suzy - you're an inspiration!

2011-07-18 11:25 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Chin up big sis.... Great job on a tough day!!! 
2011-07-18 11:58 PM

Half Ironman Racine

Race start was getting up at 4:00 am to get on the road by 4:30.    As usual, that early I am not hungry.  I had a bannana. Went into transistion, only to find that my carefully planning was not that careful.  I had packed my old bike shoes that where too tight and left half of my nutrition in the freezer.  Knew it was going to be a warm day so I froze my water and my nutrion packs. At least I brought my water. Set up my transition area.  Walked it a few times the swim in and the bike out and in so I'd be able to find my way to my bike and gear. 

My start time was 7:59.  Transistion closed at 6:30.  Didn't wait around in transition once I was confident that I was set up OK. Talked to a few people.  Everyone upbeat and nice to talk to .  Then meet Rick.  We decide to wait by the bath house on the beach.  Bathrooms there a good secret.  Most people used the port a potties which I really don't like.  By 700 I was starved.  Ate my shot blocks but that was not enough.  Rick founds some pretzels and I had a few of those.  7:30 started the walk to the beach start.  One mile down the beach.  The first wave went off at 7:00.  Got the wet suit on.  Warmed up.  Glad I did as I had a goggle issue. Walked to the start and stayed in the water till my wave had to line up. Music was good so I was dancing in the water.   Did my usual start from the left but I wanted to be in the back so I would not be swam over by faster swimmer.  Somehow I ended up in front.  Eye of the Tiger was playing. Great music to start with.  Swim start ok only one buoy to go around at 75 feet and then a straight swim to the end of the 1.2 miles with another buoy and a beach landing. Swim was steady. No issues. Felt good. Still not fast. Only at the end did I have people swim over me.  Seven waves came after mine. I was so happy.  This was the first coed race that I was not in the last wave.  It was nice not to be out on the race alone and I wasn't.     The third wave after me that had some aggressive swimmers.  Actually had my leg grabbed at one point.  Got out of the water at 59 minutes and eight sec. Spotted Rick cheering me on.  That was a great boost. Again caught with the got to go.  Long transistion time. 7:36  But knew I'd be OK as my swim time was just under an hour at 59 minutes and 8 sec. as I was not out for any win just to finish.  

Bike out hard as I had on my old shoes and could not get them to clip in.  It was also up a hill so I didn't leave the shoes on the pedals like I usually do.  Bike was hot and sticky.  Saw temp at 90 on the way out decided not to look at that on the way back.  My plan for water worked out well.  But as I did not have my nutrition needed to stop at the aide stations several times. At mile 5 saw someone off to the side injuried.  He had several people around him so I didn't stop.  Plus I had people behind me that would have caused a pile up. He looked awful. Kind of threw several of us off. Myself included.  At mile 10 I got duck tape on my front tire.  Annoying and it would not come off so I had to stop at an aide station to get it off.  Got fuel for self.  Good thing I stopped as one of the volunteers bless her said I looked over heated.  She poured water over me and gave me water. Saw two bikers down, several to the side in the shade.  Soon it was over.  Again saw Rick at the bike in.  Gave me an extra mental boost.  Don't know what he said but it was great.    3 hours 47 minutes and 48 sec bike split.  Not my best but I wanted to finish. Second transition, I could not find my sun screen nor could I find one of my water bottles.  Doused myself in water with what was left on the bike. Soaked my head. And was off. transition again long for me at 4:42 but I was not out to set any records and wanted to get hydrated.  Run would have been pleasant if not for the heat.   The aide station ever mile was great. Several official misters and a lot of local people with hoses on the route.  Bless them.  The first six miles I did in a good pace.  But I started to feel awful at the turn around.   A bit dizzy.  A headache. Wasn't dehydration as I needed a pit stop. I figured I overhydrated.  I had not had enough salt in me and maybe was over heating.  I started to just drink the power aide and the gel.   I also put 2 cups of ice in my hat and 2 cups in my tri suit to cool off.   I had also seen someone go down from the heat on my first loop didn't want that to happen.  So I started to slow down.  I made it to the 10 mile mark.  My heart rate moniter was way over my zone...  Again loaded up on ice in hat, tri suit even some in my shoes. Got some electrolyte tabs.  I walked till heart rate got to 80 then went to a slow jog.  At the 11 mile mark, I knew I was going to make it. Saw Rick cheering me on.   Adrenaline pushed me on.  I was over the finish line so pumped up.  "I f..... made it.  I am an Ironman"  I said f not the whole word.  No I screamed it.  Total time 8:20:45 Div rank 1. (60-64) No one else in my age made it to the finish line.  I didn't find that out till I got home.   I did not go to  the roll down so my spot went to someone else.  Don't care.  Just feels good to know I could have.  Rick gave me some time to settle down before we left. Cleaned off my feet doused them in rubbing alchol. Always keep a bottle in my car. Hurts but a good way to clean feet and find out if you have any small cuts or blisters.  Got the bike out of transition.  Water bottle still missing but everything else intact.  Got home iced up and then went to eat the saltest meal we could think of.  Aching today.  Blisters on right foot from biking shoes that I didn't feel with the run but did when I cleaned my feet and a good sunburn on my shoulders but all and all feel great.   Yes I am still pumped.  As one official told me-"You are an Ironman you cross the finish line"  My 18th tri and my first half ironman.  It was the best race of all 18.  Elaine

2011-07-19 12:54 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Sounds like you did really well in the heat, ice in your sports bra sounds fun!!!

2011-07-19 6:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Avon, Indiana
Congrats on a great race despite the heat!!! 
2011-07-19 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Hey now...you DID get it done!!  Great job.  It was a mental and physical game for sure, but you made it and that in and of itself is impressive  
2011-07-19 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
16 min PR on a day like today is pretty amazing!!! nice job!
2011-07-19 7:26 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Nice job out there! I tried looking for you on the course...did you know there were lots of vertically challenged peeps out there so I don't think you were the shortest this year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  

of 2