Musselman Triathlon
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 35m 47s
Overall Rank = 504/808
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 65/82
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 3:40 and I hit the snooze once then got up and showered. Went downstairs and had a bowl of oatmeal while waiting for Billy to pick me up. Made a peanut butter sandwhich on a whole wheat bagel with the intention of eating later. Also brought a bananna to eat in the car. Drank most of a large cup of coffee on the ride up with Billy and Paul. Stomach was a little nervous so never at the bananna or sandwhich.
Event warmup:

I brought my bike up on Saturday and left it in the Rogue Race Team trailer. That was convienent but I needed to attach some straps to the behind the seat water bottle holder to hold on the mini xlab bag holding my tube repair stuff. That took time and then I was rushed getting set up in transition. That turned out to cause only a minor problem later. Visited the rest room to do my business. Went back to the team trailer and put my wetsuit on then headed to corral for the first wave. No warmup.
Swim
  • 38m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was shallow almost out to the first buoy so did a combo of running, dolphin diving and swimming until the water got deeper. Slight breeze coming off the lake was causing a little chop. Was happy the buoys were on the left side since I am a left breather. After the first turn, some of the chop was making for a little rough swim but I have had worse in other races (Cayuga 2009) so it wasn't too bad. Would have been worse for a right side breather. Got into the canal and it was smooth sailing from there. Overall was happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I always feel like I am just cruising on the swim. I think I need to try and turn up the intensity some during races. Coming out of the water I didn't feel fatigued at all and felt like I was ready to ride.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I had heard there were wetsuit strippers at this race and got out of the water and looked quickly for them. Didn't seem them so made my way into transition pulling my suit down to my waist and pulling my goggles and swimcap off. Being in the first wave, there were not a ton of people that had come through transition so my set up was still intact. The one thing I missed when setting up my transition was opening the velcro on my shoes. This cost me a little time - maybe 10 seconds. Everything else went well. No socks on the bike.

31st in AG

Make sure things are set so I am not rushed in setting up transition. Make sure the velcro is open.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out telling myself that the race was just beginning and there was a long day ahead. As is typical, I got passed a lot on the bike by people I had either beat on the swim or from waves that started after me. It still amazes me how many people pass me on the bike!! Every time I wanted to push the pace some I told myself to hold on and keep some in the tank for the run. A couple of the downhills were fun. Seemed like there was a fair amount of drafting going on and when I saw the USAT official listing of penalties - it reflected that. After the first hour, my pace was a little slower than I expected (16.5 mph) but by the second hour it was up over 17 and I was good with that. On the bike I had a front mount full of water, a bottle with gatorade on the down tube and another bottle with water behind the seat. The two bottles had been frozen and the front mount was filled with ice. All were pretty much warm at the beginning of the bike. There were several aid stations on the bike (5 I think). Passed the first two and then got a bottle of water from the third. WARM! Sprayed some on myself and then tossed it. Next aid station I grabbed a bottle of Nuun. Hadn't used this before but wanted to make sure I was getting the salt. Had two sips - tasted terrible so I tossed it. Stil had some water and gatorade so I wasn't worried. Grabbed another water bottle at the last aid station - warm agian!! Filled my front mount and tossed the rest. That is my one criticism about the bike - water needed to be cold. I think that hurt me later on. Had 4 gels throughout the bike and two bites of cliff bar.

Here is another area where I probably need to learn to push a little harder. I cannot believe how many people passed me on the bike. Riding with the race team would help I am sure. Need to make this a priority next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Got my feet out of my shoes on the way back into the park. Jumped off the bike and ran to the rack. Everything went well. Socks and shoes on, grab my had and garmin and go.

25th in AG

Pay attention to my socks...see the run section.
Run
  • 2h 39m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition and hit the porta potty to take a leak. Put my garmin and something else down on the side of the seat (gross, I know) and started going. Looked down and noticed that I only had one sock on. Looked next to the seat and saw that the other thing I put down was my second sock! Got out of the potty and stopped to put my sock on and then took off running putting the garmin on as I ran. Saw Kris and the boys at transition and the beginning of the run which was great. I felt pretty good starting out and knew I was going too fast. Checked pace and saw 8:10. Slowed it down but didn't look again until the first mile - 8:32. Good but slow it down some more. Came to the first aid station. Given the hot temps, plan was to walk all the aid stations and get cooled and hydrated so I did that. Got nervous about salt so took two enduralytes with some water. Water was soooooo cold and it tasted great after drinking so much warm fluid on the bike. Took two more cups and gulped them down - probably my fatal flaw for the race. I started running again. All of a sudden, uh oh...stomach feels bad. Not quite puking bad but close enough that I thought I might loose it if I kept running. Started walking. OK, that's better...feel pretty good. OK, run. Whoa - stomach again. Not good. Tried to run again with the same result. Ok, walk to the next aid station get a little more water and then run. No good. Mostly walked to the next aid station just a couple of sips. Still no good. Aid station 4 tried some coke. It was HOT - one sip and threw it. Nothing else. Walked some more but started feeling slightly better. Hmmmm, maybe coke works. Next aid station coke, ice, sponges, water. Poured the coke in the ice and sipped it down. Sponges on the head and in the shirt. Poured ice into water and sipped that. Seemed to be pretty good. Started doing some running. Did a lot of running and walking and this is how I continued through out the race. Coke, ice, sponges, water. Knew that all chances of a good race were gone so decided that enjoying myself and being as comfortable as possible in the heat were the priorities. Ran when I felt like it, walked when I didn't and walked all the hills. Last aid station was out of coke which was a mental bummer since it got me through since mile five but knew I only had 1.5 miles to go. Saw Billy's son on his bike out scouting for me. He rode next to me for a mile or so while I ran walked. Then knowing I was near the end, I started running and he pulled ahead to tell Kris and the boys I was coming. Tommy and Cody ran down the chute with me and Tommy yelled "this is fun!" and at that moment he was correct but I thought to myself..."you should have been here earlier!".

At then end of the day, not sure if it was gulping three cups of water down so quick or taking the enduralytes (breaking the nothing new on race day rule) that caused the problem but I attribute it to the water. The heat of the day and (mostly) not quite enough training probably are the main causes. Can't control the weather, can control the training next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and sat in the cold pools of water they had set up at the finish (really nasty sweaty water by the time I got to it but felt so good!). Hung out with the rest of the Rogues and their families which was awesome. Got my post race meal of grilled chicken and mac and cheese. Hung out with everyone for a few hours while the kids rode bikes and played in the spray park. Good times for everyone! This was a good family weekend for us. Father in law passed away a week before and it was good to have Kris and Tommy race on Saturday and hang out with friends on Sunday...some uplifting moments at a sad time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, heat.

Event comments:

This is a great family event. Sprint race and kids race on Saturday with the half on Sunday. Great venue on the finger lakes. Kids race needs a bit more organization but Tommy had a blast. The sprint and the half are very well run. Really could have used cold water at the bike aid stations.

Last updated: 2011-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/82
Overall: 357/808
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Swim out from beach. Left turn at second buoy. Another left turn after 2nd buoy and then into the canal to finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:13:59 | 56 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 71/82
Overall: 493/808
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills and some false flats. One steep climb around mile 32 for a short while. About 2100 feet of climbing total. One section through Sampson State park that is rough path and road. Roads were mostly good through out the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:39:31 | 13.1 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/82
Overall: 566/808
Performance: Bad
Course: Alot of uphill through mile 7.5 then a lot of downhill. One killer climb around mile seven that was on a rocky gravel road. Besides that stretch, most of the race is on good quality roads. Lots of people sitting outside their houses with hoses spraying the runners who wanted it. Thank God for them!!!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-19 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2011-07-19 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3605176

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Nice first half George! Umm, i would like to have gotten more info about peeing while swimming. I liked the RR, but felt it was really lacking I'm the pee department
2011-07-19 10:24 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
George, terrific job in HOT conditions. Stomach issues on the run suck big time, it is great that you adjusted and came around later in the run! I'm proud of you and am so glad it turned into a fun, family weekend. Leave it to Tommy to lend some terrific perspective!
2011-07-19 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

great rr!  I'll say it again - I don't know how you did it in that heat.  Way to hang in there!!

Next time, Tommy should join you for the last half-mile!!!

2011-07-19 10:35 PM

User image

Master
Awesome race, George -- good job listening to your body. I can relate to so much of the report!! I poured all drinks over ice i the IM as I was so sick of warm liquids. Way to hang in there and get 'er done!! Congratulations!!
2011-07-19 10:36 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Sounds like you had one tough run.  Way to work through it.   

2011-07-19 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great race, George
2011-07-20 5:43 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Three cheers for you on your first HIM!!!  Congrats on pushing through the run despite those stomach issues to finish it out.  Time to start planning HIM #2.  MG event?
2011-07-20 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Nice Race George.  Way to modify and push through the heat!!
2011-07-21 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Great job enduring the heat! 
2011-07-21 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3607636

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job George!

2011-07-21 7:16 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME JOB MAN!!!!!  i'm still amazed by the the number of peeps that pass me too.  and even more amazed when i pass someone!   very cool with the kiddos in the chute!!!!  very cool weekend all around!  
2011-07-21 8:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-22 8:47 PM

Master
Canandaigua

Great job George.  Miserable day to run.  I think that a lot of us came off the bike dehydrated and things just got worse on the run.  Sorry we didn't catch up with you. 

2011-07-22 11:49 PM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Way to listen to your body. That run was brutal, finishing it is an accomplishment everybody should be proud of.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed