General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your DOH! moments in triathlon ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-12 9:43 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Your DOH! moments in triathlon ...

We need another goof thread. Spill it. This is where you broke your rooftop rack and bike by driving into the garage, where you put your helmet on backward in a race, where you go for a pre-work morning swim in your suit, then realize you forgot to bring bra and undies ...

So I've been schlepping all over the island, begging hotels to use their weird-length pools with stone walls (no flip no push), straining away at rubber yellow cords in tiny plunges, watching tide charts, fighting jellyfish, wandering from beach to beach like a vagrant in a blinding burkini ...

Today I'm hanging out at my favorite little cafe on my hill, and took my empty coffee cup to the service window 'cause, well, I'm nice and bus my own dishes that way ... I look through the kitchen and the back window and

ZOMG THERE'S A COMPETITION 25M POOL WITH STARTING BLOCKS AND ALL ...

totally vacant.

Apparently, it's open 12 hours a day and it's almost always empty.

And it's been there for MONTHS.

*facepalm*

2011-08-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3640778

User image

Subject: RE: Your DOH! moments in triathlon ...
Yeah but you're still smokin' hot. Not all of us have that going for us

After fretting over it for 6 months, training for most of the year, have everything locked in, I'm standing there at transition of my first HIM and realize my bottles with nutrition are still sitting in the hotel fridge.

I'm glad I wasn't wearing a HRM for the going to get them and get back in time.

2011-08-12 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
I always pack two of everthing into my car, except goggles.....I only own one pair.  At my second race of the year I pull my goggles out of my gear bag while setting up transition and the whole rubber seal has torn away from the frame....WTG!!! I had just used them 2 days ago.  Luckily there was a shop on site with a table of goggles for sale. Luckily that is the worst I have had to deal with so far.
2011-08-12 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Let's see - left my cycling gloves outside in the driveway once. Thoughtful boyfriend saw them the next morning and thoughtfully put them on my car to dry when he left for work. Unfortunately I never saw them on the roof (yes, of an AVEO), and drove off later that day.My excuse is that I'm 4'10" and it was above my line of sight.
2011-08-12 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

This happened last weekend in a local sprint that I did.  Almost complete failure on my part, I simply have no idea what I was thinking.

I arrive towards the end of check-in and transition setup, and just prior to the pre-race meeting.  Because I was later than most they ran out of my color swim cap, so they gave me another color, but said to go ahead and swim with my correct heat, which was heat number 1.  They start the pre-race meeting and I stand there and listen to every word, as if I've never heard one of these before.  The meeting ends, and they say, "Alright, let's get down to the start and get going!".  It's now that I realize I don't have my wetsuit on yet, have no pre-race nutrition in me such as clif shots or anything, and the race start is 400 yards down the shore from the transition.  I run back to transition, get my wetsuit on, forgot to put my tri top on, couldn't get the zipper all the way up my back, grab my goggles and swim cap and sprint all the way back to the race start.  I'm still a hundred yards away and my entire wave is in the water ready to start.  I get my swim cap on, get my goggles on and watch them all start as I'm still running to get there.  I run through the crowd, jump a fence and plow into the water to get going.  Meanwhile everyone on shore is screaming at me and getting all upset because I'm cheating and in the wrong wave, remember the swim cap issue?!  The race director had to come on the loudspeaker and calm everyone down and explain that I was where I belonged, albeit late, and they just ran out of my color swim cap.

The upside to all this?  Despite being 30 seconds behind my entire wave, I still had the 10th fastest swim time of the entire day out 200 racers.

2011-08-12 10:11 AM

User image

Pro

...mine was published in Triathlon Life:

"This summer, I picked my race packet up the morning of the race. I took the packet with me into a port-a-potty. When I got back to transition to finish setting up, I realized I had left my timing chip in the port-a-potty! I went back over to the port-a-potties and asked a few people in line to check when they got in there. One of them started knocking on doors asking if anyone saw a timing chip in there. Someone found my chip, and everyone waiting in line cheered for me when he walked out of the port-a-potty with it and handed it to me."

Oh, and I ran over my bike helmet with my car a few weeks ago

2011-08-12 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
TriAya - 2011-08-12 9:43 AM

We need another goof thread. Spill it. This is where you broke your rooftop rack and bike by driving into the garage, where you put your helmet on backward in a race, where you go for a pre-work morning swim in your suit, then realize you forgot to bring bra and undies ...

*facepalm*

Ya had to bring that up, huh?  :-)

2011-08-12 10:12 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
middle of first lap of HIM last year and I realized I did not have my race belt on.  Now I make sure it is on before the bike and swim if wetsuit legal.
2011-08-12 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I’m in the men’s locker room, whisk my running shorts out of my gym bag and pair of pink panties go flying across the locker room!  “Uh, cough, cough hmm, uh…..where did those come from?”  [Mike decides playing dumb is not working so mutters something about static cling]

Edited by Rogillio 2011-08-12 10:18 AM
2011-08-12 10:16 AM

User image

Indianapolis
The burkini is beyond awesome and I really want one!!!!  I was doing a transition practice workout in my neighborhood- 8x(4 minutes running- 8 minutes biking- 4 minutes running)I realized on my third lap that my neighbor was laughing at me.  I then realized that I had been completely forgetting to take my helmet off on the run portion of the laps.  I am sure I was quite a sight running up and down the street in a tri suit and my bike helmet. 
2011-08-12 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Oooh! Another good one I forgot:When I first got my tri-bike, I kept bringing it in for adjustments because it seemed it was always rubbing at either the highest or lowest gears no matter what.It took several visits before the tech and I figured out the source of the problem: I didn't know what friction shifters were and hadn't been adjusting them as I shifted. Boy did I feel dumb that day.

2011-08-12 10:26 AM

User image

Pro

Philly tri this year was set up so that the wave start for the swim was queued up next to transition.

There were so many waves that I was back from the swim and getting ready for the bike only to have about 20 people waiting to get into the water yell at me "your helmet's on backwards."

Nothing like an audience of your peers, is there!

2011-08-12 10:32 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I was warming up for an indoor tri on the Cybex bike and saw my boyfriend (also racing) had left his shirt on the bike. I grabbed it as I left, thinking I was doing him a favor since he'd obviously carelessly forgotten he'd left his shirt there.

Come to find he had purposely left it there so he could throw it on while he was riding (he was in the 1st heat) and had the RD asking everyone who took his shirt - unbeknownst to me as I was racing at the time.

Normally I would have apologized, but he was forced to race shirtless, which is never a bad thing in my eyes Kiss

2011-08-12 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3640836

User image

Melon Presser

^^^^^ See, it's not just you (and your pink panties), Mike

Rogillio - 2011-08-13 12:11 AM
TriAya - 2011-08-12 9:43 AM

*facepalm*

Ya had to bring that up, huh?  :-)

2011-08-12 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

Last year I did one triathlon at the end of the season which was also my first in over a year (injuries). 
Everything seems fine till I get to the run portion and observe the fellow in front of me with this "band" around his ankle. DOH! I knew immediately that I had forgot to put my timing chip on!

Funny thing is, I remember coming out of the water and crossing the mat and was curious why I didn't hear a beep.

2011-08-12 10:52 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My first tri this year was about a 4 hour drive away.  My wife and I packed everything up, piled into the car and started driving.  About 45 mins from our place, we have to cross a toll bridge to get off the island we live on.  The toll is $43 (ugh) and about 5 mins onto the bridge (It's a 13km bridge so about a 10-12 min drive) my wife says "You remembered your wetsuit right?".  DOH!!!!  I had forgotten both my wetsuit and my goggles.  So we had to cross the rest of the bridge, call her parents who went to our house and got the wetsuit and goggles and would meet us halfway there.  We then had to go back across the bridge and half way home to meet them.  Fortunately, my wife was able to convince the bridge peeps that we shouldn't pay the toll again as we had just crossed it earlier!  A nice 4 hour drive turned into a 6.5 hour drive because I didn't check my list! 

and while I *could* have raced without the wetsuit, it would have been cold!  There were a couple of people that did and they looked miserable standing on their tippy toes gasping for air!

2011-08-12 10:58 AM

It was a tri with a pool swim.  I ran outdoors with my flip flops on, hopped on my bike and started the course.  Needless to say I did not get very far. 
2011-08-12 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Ok, not my story but a great story so I’ll share. 

My friend left work and drove to the park where she was going to go for a run.  She already had her running shorts and shoes on when she got out of the car.  She THOUGHT she was wearing her sports bar so peeled off her Polo shirt and threw it in the car and locked the door.  It was then that she realized she was wearing her regular, very lacey bra and looked up to see several guys staring at her to see what she was gonna do next.

2011-08-12 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL

Classic nothing new on race day DOH.... right before the swim at the AG Nationals in Tuscaloosa this past year... I decided a GU was in order... I sucked that thing down as I walked to the swim start... I FELT INVINCIBLE... unfortunately.. with zero water on top of the GU... the GU felt invincible about 300 yards into the swim... swimming with indigestion... in a river...  is probably one of the worst things I have ever experienced... NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!!!

So... I say that... yet tomorrow I will be racing on my new tri bike that I fit myself on last night... Laughing

2011-08-12 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Love this topic...it fits me.  :-)

I was on Kwajalein in the south Pacific for a while and would often run around the island before hitting the pool.  One day I ran to few miles and ended up at the pool.  All the lanes were taken so I sat down, took off my shirt and began talking to two women at the end of the pool.  Finally a lane opened up and I started swimming laps.

On about my second lap my arm brushed across my pecs and I felt something that was not skin.  Oh NO!!  I still had the Band-Aids on my nipples!!!  I nearly gasp a mouthful of water when I laughed out loud realizing what those two women must have thought. 

I decided the Band-Aids must go before I get out of the pool but did not want to make a scene by stopping to peal the Band-Aids off my nipples so I decided I could do this mid-stroke.  Now I'm not a hairy-chested man....but I ain't bald either!  I reached up and ripped one Band-Aid off in mid-stoke and let out a whelp...yeeooowww!!!  Fortunately my yell was underwater so it was muted to my fellow swimmer....I hope.  This cracked me up too! 

2011-08-12 11:17 AM

User image

Gaithersburg
I was participating in an OW practice swim with a girlfriend of mine who was getting ready for her first tri. The swim was marked well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some bumping but eventually it was just me and one other girl who kept swimming into me. I decided to make a move and cut close to the turn around at the buoy to get some seperation. I finished feeling great and was waiting for my friend. She was so far behind me I started to get worried. When she finally emerged I asked how it was for her..."great" she says..."but it was long stretch to the last buoy" It was then I realized that I had turned around WAY early and only completed 1/2 the swim....duh

2011-08-12 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida
Last year I was running The Gate River Run 15K, huge race, 20000 runners. The race organizers just started using a seeded start, very much needed!. Well I worked hard to qualify in the "Red Group", meaning I wouldn't have to deal with the masses of those even more slow-poke than I. )  Really amped up for the race, and just before entering the staging area chutes, my wife says where is your chip ?! I knew I had put it on, so I figured that it must've come off when I removed my warm-ups at the car. So I run to the car (3/4 mile away) look everywhere, no chip. I run to the expo, registration area (1/2 Mile) explain(exclaim?) what I've done, they give me a new number and chip, I race back to the starting chutes (1/2 Mile)just in time for the cannon... whew! couldn't believe I made it, HR was probably maxxed out, but I did still have a pretty good race, I call that one my River Run 17.5. Still never found the chip... Cool
2011-08-12 11:51 AM

At my first tri, I picked up my registration packet the morning of the race.  I put all of my stuff in the transition area and still had 30 minutes until my wave started.  I walked back to my car to put my other race gear up (free t-shirt and random samples of things) back in the car.  I walked around a little with my buddy and was trying to stay calm.  All of a sudden, I realized I did not have my race number.  I had put it in the car with all of my other stuff.  I sprinted barefoot to my car and grabbed my number.  As I was sprinting back, I heard them announce that my wave was starting in one minute.  I sprinted over to the transition area and set my number by my bike.  Luckily, the race director didn't see me because he was distracted yelling at someone else to get out of the transition area.  I sprinted down to the lake just as the horn was blowing for everyone to begin.  I started my swim out of breath, but I finished (albeit in the last quarter of my wave) and made up time on the bike and run. 
2011-08-12 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

The story of my first tri:

Had everything laid out and packed perfectly the night before. Got up on time. Grabbed my stuff and head out the door. Live in the city, and race was just on the north side so was taking the train (don't own a car). Get to train station, realize I don't have my helmet. Go back, get helmet, back to train station. Now who would guess a city train would be packed before 5 in the morning? I was running way behind because of the helmet debacle and had to beg people to squeeze so I could get on with my bike. Got to the necessary stop. Rode hard to get to race site and get into transition before it closed. Basically through my stuff down and got booted out. No one else was with me, and there was no gear check/swim bags, so walked around for a couple of hours in just my jammers. Finally my wave started, got into transition, and had no clue where my stuff was! Spent several minutes looking for my bike. Did the same thing coming in for T2. After the race I realized I must have run down my row and past my stuff many times, just wasn't looking hard enough.

Second tri is 2 weeks out. I am getting there super early and getting the best spot in the transition area possible!

2011-08-12 12:25 PM

User image

On your right
Well, there was that time in T1 where I threw a bloody fit because I couldn't get my shirt pulled on.  Then I remembered I had already put my helmet on...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your DOH! moments in triathlon ... Rss Feed  

of 4