General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting tired of triathlon... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-25 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3657728

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Subject: RE: Getting tired of triathlon...
I have ridden on the road at most, 3 times this year. One involved riding to the rail trail on my cross bike. Another time it was to commute to the weekend job at the shop and the third time I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I did it. I'll probably ride to the shop again this weekend.

That being said, I've been mountain biking 3-4 days a week. Mountain biking is my thing. I hadn't been doing it much in the last couple years and was not enjoying cycling. I made a few decisions this year. One was, since I couldn't figure out what I liked about doing triathlon, I wasn't going to do them. Two, if I drove to ride it was going to be for mountain biking. If I was going to blow a whole Saturday or Sunday for athletic pursuits, it would be for mountain biking.

I've recently got back to running a few times a week when I don't have time to ride, and have swam only occasionally when the mood strikes me.

I'm happier now than I was in the last 3 years doing triathlons.

2011-08-25 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3657633

Master
Houston, TX
Do what makes you happy.  Life is too short to force yourself to do something you don't have to do.  Do what you love and love what you do.  I'm sure you'll be back eventually
2011-08-25 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I burnt out on it earlier this year, but the fire's back as of late. Trying to fit in training time became a duty rather than something I wanted to do. It really started to feel like another job related task. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do but there are only so many hours in the day. Trying to fit in long workouts for one or two races a year just wasn't working for me anymore.

The key for me was to set aside long distance races. Once I realized that I really don't want do an Iron distance race and that even HIMs are more than I can realistically train for, my attitude changed completely. All of a sudden training became fun again, it returned to being something positive that I do for myself. I look forward to every workout now. 

2011-08-25 9:39 AM

Yes you need to take a break sometimes.  After my first IM in 2009 I pretty much took 2010 off.  Only did one sprint and didn't really train too much.  This season I'm back and even stronger.  I almost placed in two races this year just missing both by a minute.  Your body and mind needs to recover, but don't get tired of triathlon.
2011-08-25 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
MA

I have said it before.  No law dictates that if one pick up a hobby, that person must do it the rest of his/her life. 

I am the type that goes from hobbies to hobbies.  I like to try something new every now and then.  So I have decided I am quitting triathlon completely.  I do s/b/r, solely for exercise purpose.  Moving on to other activities and not feeling guilty about it. 

2011-08-25 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Look back at this year and ask yourself, when was I having the most fun? How can I do more of that? For me, it was when I was running in the woods -- away from cars, away from people, into the quiet. So that’s what I’m going to do.

I’ve been discussing this with the always inspiring BTer, DreamChaser, saying that I’ve decided to mostly drop tris and make ‘12 the year of the ultra. The decision has actually given me a tremendous amount of relief. Several points this year I got down on tri’s and didn't have any motivating, pure goals in the sport. I think a break from rigorous S/B/R training + racing will be good, so when I do go back I'm excited about this great sport again. I want to take on a new goal; one that scares me and inspires me at the same time, and trail ultrarunning is it.

One of my fav pub rock bands, The Hold Steady, has this line, "there's gonna come a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest." Right now, running gets me the highest, and it's time to go to the trails.

2011-08-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3657797

User image

Elite
Miami
axteraa - 2011-08-24 6:25 PM
trix - 2011-08-24 7:20 PM

i burned out, after a 4 yrs in the sport and last 1 yr of non stop training/coach, i mean hard training no off-season and race back to back to back.

finally although this sucked, my TT bike broke during a crash, bought a roadie and didn't look back since.

Until you saw that P4 frame on Nytro....   Cool

yes but by the time i buy the p4 and get the things rebuilt, it will probably be january that means a 6 month break from triathlon and roadbike racing.

yeah it sucks knowing i will loose all my run fitness, i have absolutely no worry about swim fitness.

2011-08-25 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Last year as I ran the 3rd lap of my first (and only) HIM, all I could think about was getting off that course.  And when I finished, I stopped.  Totally.  Went out for a couple of "just for fun" bike rides and runs, but didn't look at the race calendar (and hardly BT) for a couple of months... then all of a sudden one day it was back and I was training again.  This year, I've been more motivated than ever despite a fairly crazy schedule.  Anyway, I'd say listen to that little voice... and maybe it will come back and say, "gee I miss it".  Or maybe it won't.  But no doubt that it is worth a listen :-)
2011-08-25 6:20 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I was thinking about this thread last night and it occured to me the wisdom of what Fred Doucette said in his post in this thread.

As athletes we will usually train pretty darn hard. Train, train, train... Get a "coach"... train some more.

Get tired, get burned out, have a bad workout, a bad race... Who are we kidding? We're not really meant for this. I don't look anything like Chris McCormack or Chrissie Wellington...

I suck.

The other side of the equation is missing. The pro-active recovery side. Massage, physical therapy, a sports psychologist (a real one, with a psychology degree who earns a living working as a psychologist- the kind you have to pay), meticulous food preparation, a clean bed, supportive friends (like on this forum) and a clear mind free from burden. Those things are so important. So crucial to a good athletic (and life) experience). They foster recovery and stave off burn-out, stress, discouragement and mental fatigue.

Those things will refresh the mind and body. No more burnout.

Two stories:

I remember a Swiss racer who felt having the right chair was so important. He had an upholstered chaise lounge in his house. He felt it was so important after training to quickly get his training clothes off, have a good shower, dry off with clean towels, dress in comfortable clothing and sit on his chaise with his legs off the floor. He would drink cool drinks and sit on the chaise in silence- resting. Alan Watts, the great author of "The Taboo; Against Knowing Who You Are" challenged his readers to "completely empty your mind and think of nothing for even 1 minute".

Try it. Thoughts creep back in. Worries... it's draining. The more you practice it, the easier (and more refreshing) it becomes.

I forgot the second one... because my mind is clear. Wink

2011-08-25 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3659900

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

My last tri was IMAZ in 2008, I remember halfway in the run just kind of asking me why I did this thing called IM...instead of running hard, I cruised in - I basically didn't recall my motivation and really tanked the race and missed my goal time; not because I couldn't because I didn't want it at "that" moment.   I gave it up for a year and then decided to focus on running, then I got hurt and its been a struggle remaining healthy over the last two years to where a 30 minute jog is difficult.   

But I am getting my mojo back, I am older now (47) and in the worst shape of my life.   I want to be strong again, fit again.   For me, I beginning to believe I need a race on my schedule to be as fit as I can be.    We shall see, no tri on the horizon but I am running and doing some strength training.

2011-08-25 7:24 PM

User image

Bronze member
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-25 6:20 PM

I was thinking about this thread last night and it occured to me the wisdom of what Fred Doucette said in his post in this thread.

As athletes we will usually train pretty darn hard. Train, train, train... Get a "coach"... train some more.

Get tired, get burned out, have a bad workout, a bad race... Who are we kidding? We're not really meant for this. I don't look anything like Chris McCormack or Chrissie Wellington...

I suck.

The other side of the equation is missing. The pro-active recovery side. Massage, physical therapy, a sports psychologist (a real one, with a psychology degree who earns a living working as a psychologist- the kind you have to pay), meticulous food preparation, a clean bed, supportive friends (like on this forum) and a clear mind free from burden. Those things are so important. So crucial to a good athletic (and life) experience). They foster recovery and stave off burn-out, stress, discouragement and mental fatigue.

Two stories:

I remember a Swiss racer who felt having the right chair was so important. He had an upholstered chaise lounge in his house. He felt it was so important after training to quickly get his training clothes off, have a good shower, dry off with clean towels, dress in comfortable clothing and sit on his chaise with his legs off the floor. He would drink cool drinks and sit on the chaise in silence- resting. Alan Watts, the great author of "The Taboo; Against Knowing Who You Are" challenged his readers to "completely empty your mind and think of nothing for even 1 minute".

Try it. Thoughts creep back in. Worries... it's draining. The more you practice it, the easier (and more refreshing) it becomes.

Who gets to do this? I mean besides the guy you just wrote about. I have kids, a husband, two cats, a dog and 5 or 6 hummingbirds (yes, they stare at me through the window until I refill their feeder too). Clearing my mind is what I'm supposed to be doing during my workout.

Sounds nice though!

2011-08-25 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Pretty sure next year will be my last year of serious triathlon...probably going to do one more IM, maybe also a half, then scale back the cycling and swimming to a minimal "cross training" level and do the occasional tri (or aquathlon) for fun.  Fall 2012 will be five years of tri for me and that may prove to be plenty.

Mostly for me it's an expense issue, coupled with just a general lack of interest in spending the time in the saddle necessary to get my cycling performance to where my marathoning is.  I like the challenge of triathlon, but after a couple of IM finishes and a handful of AG podium finishes at shorter distances, I don't feel the motivation to endlessly tie up the hours every week on cycling it takes to keep improving.

We'll see how I feel at the end of this season... 

2011-08-25 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
2011-08-25 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3659960

User image

Elite
Miami
trigal38 - 2011-08-25 7:24 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-25 6:20 PM

I suck.

Two stories:

Who gets to do this? I mean besides the guy you just wrote about. I have kids, a husband, two cats, a dog and 5 or 6 hummingbirds (yes, they stare at me through the window until I refill their feeder too). Clearing my mind is what I'm supposed to be doing during my workout.

Sounds nice though!

bingo.  house, family, job.  i clear my mind working out, but i also get tired as hell.  there are some that can maintain the pace but i bet its not indefinitely eventually you fall apart as an AGer. 

i just think a total break from the sport is a good thing. 

2011-08-26 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois

Wow, And I thought I was alone in how I felt. So many of your comments ring true with me also. Having done IMOO the past 2 years and being a little disappointed in last years time(but not effort) I signed up for IMOO #3 via a charity slot. I wanted revenge on that Effin bike course...LOL. Once my training volume started picking up in June I could tell something was the matter. My heart was simply not in the big weekend volume training. I simply wanted to be doing other things...mainly with my family. Dont get me wrong, If I was motivated I would have found the time to fit everything in...I just wasnt. So I decided to eat the 1000$ + and enjoy myself this year. Spent time with the family, made big family breakfasts, and got involved in guiding challenged athletes competing in triathlons. What an awesome experience!!! Highly reccomend it. As IMOO approaches and alot of my friends are doing it, a part of me will wish Im out there, but I am more then happy with my decision as I filled the void with other meaningful activities. That being said, IMFLA 2012 may be calling me

2011-08-26 4:24 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Since we are talking about a hobby, suggest you take a break, then do it less often for a while. I think what's kept me running for 32 years, both physically and mentally, is that I HAVEN'T done it full tilt since age 10! At some times, I've been very into it, run high mileage, speedwork and a lot of races; sometimes I've just done the long, slow distances I love and trained solely to finish a favorite destination marathon or half; at other times, it's just been a way to stay in shape for hiking and climbing, or a relaxing activity that I do for stress relief 1-2 times a week. A lot depended on what else was going on in my life, my health, where I was living, etc.

I started swimming again and then doing tri because I was trying to get back into shape in the tropics after several years of very little training, and found that running almost every day was physically and mentally draining. Now that it's only 3-4 times a week I really look forward to it!

I can see tri being the same way--I'll probably due it more seriously for some seasons/years; at other times focus more on running, or (if I lived somewhere where it was fun) biking or swimming. What I don't want to do is get really out of shape--I don't know about other people, but the older I get, the harder it is to get back in shape!

2011-08-26 5:18 AM
in reply to: #3660191

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Hot Runner - 2011-08-26 12:24 PM

Since we are talking about a hobby, suggest you take a break, then do it less often for a while. I think what's kept me running for 32 years, both physically and mentally, is that I HAVEN'T done it full tilt since age 10! At some times, I've been very into it, run high mileage, speedwork and a lot of races; sometimes I've just done the long, slow distances I love and trained solely to finish a favorite destination marathon or half; at other times, it's just been a way to stay in shape for hiking and climbing, or a relaxing activity that I do for stress relief 1-2 times a week. A lot depended on what else was going on in my life, my health, where I was living, etc.

I started swimming again and then doing tri because I was trying to get back into shape in the tropics after several years of very little training, and found that running almost every day was physically and mentally draining. Now that it's only 3-4 times a week I really look forward to it!

I can see tri being the same way--I'll probably due it more seriously for some seasons/years; at other times focus more on running, or (if I lived somewhere where it was fun) biking or swimming. What I don't want to do is get really out of shape--I don't know about other people, but the older I get, the harder it is to get back in shape!

2X

Once it is not fun anymore, why voluntarily do it? There are other ways to lead a healthy lifestyle. Good luck!

2011-08-26 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've done hundreds of tri's over the years, come back from some situations where I thought I'd never be able to run (and thus tri) again, so I may be in a different place...

But I've kinda gotten a bit... ambivalent? towards tri racing. I haven't done any this year. There's one next week I may do, but frankly I'll let the weather forecast determine whether I do it or not. I was doing some run emphasis this year, hoping to get to a half-marathon or two, maybe some trail races... Ill-timed minor injuries made those plans go to dust... I'm doing a series of aquathons (the last is next Wednesday), and I think aside from the races themselves, I've done maybe 6 swim sessions... Total. Since my last tri literally a year ago.

Next year may be a bike focus year, as there's some pressure (both from myself and from Lisa) to do RAMROD next year. I'd still like to do a half-marathon, maybe even a trail half.

It's not that I don't like swimming -- I actually do. It's just that it's the least convenient of the three sports for me to train. I can do either at my lunchtime from work, or right out my front door at home.

I still like tri, but I don't feel the "need" to toe the line as often.

2011-08-26 9:59 AM

User image

Regular

Me too!  And I haven't done that many and haven't even branched out into the HIM or IM scene.  My burn-out stems from having 2 very busy girls.  So I'm involved in everything they do.  I love being involved in my children's lives, and I find that training for 3 different sports gets in the way.  I haven't done any tris this summer.  I have mostly just ran.  I am planning on a HM and a full Marathon for this fall/winter, but running doesn't get in the way of my family time like cycling does.  I do enjoy reading up on this site and I love my Tri mags.  Hopefully as my children get older my health will be good enough to get back into it somewhat, but for now I'm happy being a runner and occasionally throwing in some cycling and swimming!

jami  

2011-08-26 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-25 4:20 PM

I suck.

Two stories:

When I started a consistent yoga practice, it took a while to really be able to clear my mind. Those thoughts did come. The key was acknowledging them (not dwelling on them), and then let them pass. The breathing helped. After a while, I got to where I could clear my mind. But the side benefit was that I found, during all the OTHER time of the day, my focus was dramatically sharper, I was a lot more aware, both internally and externally. And I also found that, during times of the day when I'd normally be feeling tired, I was wide awake.

2011-08-26 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
Miami
i think in 3.5 years i did about 40 races.  about 12 pear year or so.  a little break is a good thing also. 

2011-08-26 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3659960

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
trigal38 - 2011-08-25 7:24 PM

Sounds nice though!

I find it is hard to clear my mind when I'm worrying about hitting specific metrics during a workout. Riding my bike, running, swimming, they all clears my mind. Working out adds to the stress and doesn't clear my mind.

I got rid of the heart rate monitor, GPS unit and bike computer. I stopped working out. I ride my bike, swim when the mood strikes and time allows, and I run when it is inconvenient to ride or swim. I started enjoying myself much more.

Of course, I'm in no shape to race that has more to do with injury and not wanting to train. Focusing on racing was detracting from my experience. I did the races I needed to do to see what I could do. When I got to IM distance, I learned my heart isn't into it for the right reasons. I didn't finish IM and at this point have no plans to go back. My only motivation to do another IM is to not have an unfinished IM hanging over me, but when I realized that is my only motivation to do another I knew it wasn't enough to get me through the training. Now that I've decided not to race for the time being, I can ride, swim and run for the fun of it, and the motivation to do those things has come back.
2011-08-26 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I done at least one triathlon nearly every year since 1998.....I think I'm gonna burn out in a few more years.  I think the reason for my longevity is I only race 1 or 2 races a year.

2011-08-26 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Thread is perfectly timed for the time of the season!

I'm closing out my 7th year of tris plus four years before that of just running. I've had the same ups and downs with motivation other folks have mentioned...

At 48, what Fred D wrote about physical limitations and aging is probably my biggest motivator...I'm still getting faster(barely) and so long as I can keep improving, I'll keep showing up. There's a reason why times and participation levels drop off in the 50+ AG.

I will observe that by the standards of other folks I've watched on BT, I do train less for the long course racing I do. Burnout might have been unavoidable if I'd trained like I was supposed to for optimal results.

2011-08-29 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3660736

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting tired of triathlon... Rss Feed  

of 4