Odyssey Adventure Racing
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 52m 46s
Overall Rank = 133/200
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/25
Pre-race routine:

The "Race Hotel" was located about 40 min from the actual site and was actually quite a dump. I realize that there is nothing around the state park that hosted the race, but there were 5 other hotels on the same road. But, whatever... I woke up at 4am and made my bowl of oatmeal (couldn't microwave it, because there was no microwave- had to run water through the coffee maker). Loaded up my gear and headed out to Lake Anna. For the first time I was early enough to get my bike on the rack and not get jammed for space. The irony is that there remained plenty of room, and had I showed up 2 hours later, I still would have had plenty of room. heh. I had my clif bar about 6:30 (race was set to start at 7).
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and after getting in the wetsuit, I hopped in the lake and swam around for a bit.
Swim
  • 38m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

A much better performance in the water than I anticipated. First, let me just say that swedes rock. Significantly better than any other goggle I have used. Anyway... it was a running start from the beach. There were 3 waves, 5 minutes apart, I was in wave 1. I hung back about 3/4 in my wave at the start. It was a wide beach so there was plenty of room and not too much in the way of mayhem. Myself and one guy in red tri-shorts and no wetsuit (Welshy?) kept banging into each other, but it was more that we were swimming the same pace than trying to pass. I came to the first bouy at 12 minutes an change. Hmm, a 36 minute pace and I feel great. This could be good. Bouy # 2 was at 25 minutes- still on track. At one point I reached up to rub my nose and almost unseated my googles. Lesson learned there. My sighting also turned out to be pretty good. I got a hair off course once, but corrected right away. We were delayed 30 minutes at the start and the drinking was running through me. Another lesson- I cannot take a leak while swimming. I tried to roll over on my back and float for a minute and "warm the inside of my suit", but I just couldn't bring myself to waste the time. I wanted to get it out before I got on the bike, but alas, no luck.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster?
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

Got out of the water, unzipped the suit, and headed into the racks. I really wasn't in a rush. I wear my big-ass G-shock on the outside of my wetsuit and forgot to remove it before I started stripping, so I had to re-insert the arm to get the watch off. No biggee. Other than that, not a bad transition. (Time to be posted when I get it)
Bike
  • 2h 51m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

The start out of T-1 was a pretty serious hill right off the bat, but it was also pretty short. Got going and started to spin fast to get some blood in the legs. About 3 miles in I took my first Gu and chased it with water. Gave myself about 5 minutes and started on my Accelerade. 5 minutes after that my need to pee was becoming epic. I just couldn't find a good place to stop. So I just put my head down and rode, picking off riders one at a time. And also getting passed a by quite a few as well (mental note, I want some Zipps). Around mile 10 or so I started to feel some stomach discomfort. This would stay with me for the remainer of the race and never really sort itself out. I reach the turn around and I can't take it anymore. I rode about a mile or so and found a place to pull off. Aaaaaahhhhhh. This is one of the major disadvantages of the one-piece tri suit (why the hell don't they let the zipper come down 2 inches farther? I mean seriously???). I wasted 2 minutes, but I had to. Back on the bike and off I go, but my left cleat won't seat. I figit with it for 1/4 mile and it pops in. About mile 18 or so I hear someone behind me. He never passes, but I continue to hear him. Around mile 23 I slow up for a drink and he goes around. Followed closely by about 3 other guys. I look back and there are 2 more. WTF? Apparently I was pulling a pace line for the last 5 miles. This pissed me off, so I sprint ahead and put some distance between us. A few miles later they reel me in and I'm stuck in the middle of it again. I dropped back and let them go (including one somewhat annoying individual from my own tri club). I finish lap one and start heading back out. Crap- I gotta pee again, my lower back has started hurting, the discomfort in my stomach is getting worse, and now my left foot is numb. Oh well, press on. I head back out onto lap 2. Around mile 45 my bladder was going to bust again so I had to stop and do it again. 2 more minutes down the drain. Back on the bike and my left cleat won't seat again. This time it really won't go in, and I gave up screwing around with it. About 5 miles later it snapped in place. Whew- that is a strange way to ride. Right around mile 50 I come up on the guy from my club who has been dropped from the pace line. It looked like he was starting to struggle. I came up behind him and hammered pretty hard so I would fly by and he couldn't draft, hopefully depressing him further. Served him right- I never saw him again until we were on the run, and he didn't look happy :) The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful.
What would you do differently?:

Get a better nutrition plan.
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

The bike dismount was at the bottom of a pretty steep hill, so I opted to stay in the shoes. Hopped off, ran to the racks and had a pretty decent transition.
Run
  • 2h 16m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run and immediately had to run that bike-start hill again. That blew. Chopped my stride until my legs came back, around mile 1. Stopped for water around mile 2 and had another gel- stomach still hurting. Stopped at the port-o-john around mile 3 for comfort stop #3 (another 2 minutes). Continued on and was running pretty well. I finished the first loop averaging 9 min miles, on track to finish in 5:38, 22 minutes ahead of schedule. Head back out on loop 2. Then it happened...at mile 8 my body decided it wanted to quit. My hips and knees were trying to leave my body. I know this because they sent me letters of resignation. When I wouldn't accept, they just decided to put me in as much pain as possible. Shuffle on... Mile 9 was worse. Shuffle on... At mile 10 I was starting to question my sense of reality. Just then some redneck in a crappy van pulling a crappy boat drove by and yelled something about my tri-suit out his window. I couldn't even muster a response. Not a F-you, not a kiss my a$$, nothing. This is when I know I was really hurting. Shuffle... My 9 minute miles had now turned into 12 minute miles and my hips were arguing with me on every stride. They did not want to allow my leg to come forward, but I made them anyway. Mile 11, 12, getting close... When I could see the mile 13 marker I gathered every ounce of whatever I had left. Gotta finish strong for the camera's(and it was downhill :)). Pick up the pace to what was definitely some sort of run and... WTF? (Ladies, close your eyes) My left nut starts throbbing. How the hell does that happen? Your kidding me... But throbbing it was, and I press on through the finish hear someone yell out my time, move off to the side, and collapse.
Post race
Warm down:

Lying in the grass, cursing life, and a ham sandwich.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My utter lack of training. The next time I do a race of this length or longer, I am going to train for it, and decide more than 6 weeks in advance.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:37 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Lake swim, counter clockwise triangle, .4 mile legs.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:51:41 | 56 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops of 28 miles. Mostly good pavement, rolling hills (3 of which required granny-gear, one of those required standing) and the occasional redneck w/the diesel dually who is somehow offended by spandex/lycra blends. The ride out to the turn-around was a false flat, so coming back in was significantly faster than going out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:05 | 13.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps, somewhat hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-25 8:41 AM

Master
Colorado
Subject: Odyssey Half IM

2005-09-25 9:22 AM
in reply to: #253029

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Odyssey Half IM

Mike,

Great race report, a very enjoyable read!  Way to hang in there.  I cracked a smile when you mentioned running water through the coffee maker for your oatmeal.  I've done this a dozen times at different events.  Works well doesn't it? 

(Girls close your eyes).  Did you happen to figure out what made your nut hurt?  That would concern me a bit. 

Great finish time by-the-way. 

-Michael

2005-09-25 9:33 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Wow. Congrats on making it!

(Have the bits that ladies aren't supposed to know about because we weren't supposed to look at least feeling better?)

Reading these leaves me very inspired and terrified all at the same time - I've got my first sprint tris next season, and I hope I get through without dying.

Also - thanks for the mention of the bathroom breaks... I'd had it in my head I could just wear my one piece swimsuit through the whole thing, now I am realizing I'd better go with some form of two piece suit...

Again, congrats and great job!
2005-09-25 9:40 AM

Master
Colorado
Thanks guys.  And yes, "Lefty" is feeling much better this morning
2005-09-25 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
One hell of a report. Good to hear that despite the adversity you just wouldn't quit. That's some inspiration for a lot of folks. As for the jerk in the van how about a reply of " as soon as I recover from this miserable state I'm in, I'm coming back and kicking your ass.....and yeah I'll be wearin' this while I do it!!!"
Good job man. And a great write up.
2005-09-25 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
How you can eat solid food 30 mins before that swim is beyond me.  You're a freaking animal!  5:52 with a bunch of rest stops and a tough end of your run.  Damn.  That's a hell of a time bro.  Congrats on your HIM!  That's a hell of a distance.

2005-09-25 12:15 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

I wonder what would happen if you trained properly!  I can only hope to match that time in November.  Loved your race report - what a bunch of losers drafting like that!  I used my swedes in a race today for the first time...worked good. Love those things.

Congrats on a very successful first HIM...Did it give you the long-distance bug or no?  I think so..

Jess

2005-09-25 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry bout "Lefty"---but damn, that was a helluva race!  YOU ROCK!!
2005-09-25 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Ohio
You should be so proud of yourself for finishing---and finishing so well. A lesser person would have quit on the run. Wow. Very impressed.

Hope you're having a relaxing Sunday and replenishing your carbs with plenty of expensive beer!

2005-09-25 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Great job, Mike!  On next to nothing for training too...wow.  Yeah, you'd better actually train for one of these next year...we wanna see what you can REALLY do!  No more sandbagging!

Kidding, kidding.  Great race report...definitely made me chuckle.  Especially the parts about body parts trying to leave...the hips/knees, etc.  That is SOOOO how I usually feel.  No ceceding allowed!  And, um...I'm glad the unmetionables (can you tell none of the girls ACTUALLY closed their eyes?) are feeling better.

I'm glad you like the Swedes...did you take my advice on the nosepiece?

2005-09-25 4:12 PM

Master
Colorado

Thanks again.  Coupla things/observations:

Jen- nope, the standard blue thingy fit me perfect w/o modification, so I kept it.

Gulla- I wish I could have, but my mouth couldn't move to get the insults out.  Very out of character for me.

TTMA- Yeah, I think I've got the bug.  It's only been a day and I'm still in pain (just muscular soreness, and my right knee) but I just spent two hours at the bookstore looking at IM training materials.  Lets see if I can get into IMFL

Another observation for those who might like to learn from my mistakes:  Besides my lack of training, going from sprints straight to a HIM was not the smartest decision.  I really should have included an olympic or two- alas, you can take the kid out of the Corps, but...

2005-09-25 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Great report!

Unsolicited Comments:

The oatmeal and coffee maker thing - great tip.  Never thought of it.

Suggestion for the rednecks next time (since you couldn't talk) - yell back with your middle finger!

I agree - drafting ticks me off too! 

Nice job!

2005-09-25 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Wow that was an awesome race report.  Congratulations on your first halfIM!

Diane

2005-09-25 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Awesome race Mike!!   Be nice to those redneck people!!   You never know when you might need something...

Glad lefty is feeling better btw!

2005-09-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: #253215

Master
Colorado
G8RSAX - 2005-09-25 11:12 PM

Awesome race Mike!!  

Thanks Wendi

Be nice to those redneck people!!  

In my best little kid voice- "He started it!"

You never know when you might need something...

Like a bench seat from a '54 Ford for my porch?   

Glad lefty is feeling better btw!

Me too!

2005-09-26 7:10 PM

, Alabama

What an incredible race report!  I can't wait to have Jordan read it!  You're amazing!  If you do that well wtihout training, you're going to blow some doors off when you DO train!

Sharon

2005-09-27 10:53 PM

Master
Colorado
Pics added...
2005-09-28 5:18 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
LOL, laughing at that last picture...who is that?!?!  Hubba bubba Javelin guy!
2005-09-28 6:37 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race!!

You did amazing...but didn't you train some? Glad you were able to have the mental strength to keep your body parts with you and working to make it through those last miles.

Things to work on for your IM: Learning to pee in the water in your wetsuit and get different clothing to help you pee faster while not in the water....otherwise with time and training you'll be all set!

You are fast!

2005-09-28 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Nice work, Mike.  Friggin monster. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Odyssey Half IM Rss Feed