General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2006-04-12 11:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Eagle River, Alaska
Subject: Motivation

Hey guys, can you help me out and just answer this simple (or not so simple question for me? Its part of my senior project and I would really appreciate it!

Are you intrinsically or extrinsically motivated?

1.     * Intrinsic
Intrinsic motivation is the type where you are performing the action based strictly on the fact that you love doing it and find a personal satisfaction from doing it. People that take up a hobby and loose themselves in it are intrinsically motivated,

2# Extrinsic

Extrinsic motivation is the type where you are not really doing an activity because you truly love it, but rather because you are being rewarded from an external source. For example, if someone was paying you to work out or for the prizes and fameJ

What specifacially motivates you?

At what level do you compete? When you race is it to beat your own times or someone else?

Thank you all very much!! And if you every make it to Alaska I will buy you a beer!!!

Jamie

2006-04-13 12:35 AM
in reply to: #395358

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Motivation

Almost all Instrinsic, 95%. I get most of my motivation from the fun and also from the satisfaction that I get from improvement. I also really enjoy the speed of it (probably why my bike training hours has been higher than my running an swimming hours.) The 5% of Extrinsic is from the competitive racer point of view, where I like to win awards and get satisfaction out of it... but of course that just goes back to satisfaction from improvement.

What specifically motivates you?

When I am training, I am constantly trying to beat my own times and work harder to better myself. I do take my slower days and just enjoy the training. When racing I also want to improve, but competitiveness drives me to also want to beat others. Because the first 2 tri's I have done have been started in swimming pools and are more about you going against the clock and then later seeing how you placed my mentality has just been to work hard and race against the clock. My next few triathlons are open water starts though so it will be much different and I am sure I will be racing to pass and beat people more by position than time. I will want to work hard to achieve the times that I want to complete each part of the tri in.

Have fun in Alaska... I live in AZ.... Your long training days are coming... fun days of 20-24 hours of sun!
2006-04-13 1:01 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
1.     * Intrinsic
Intrinsic motivation is the type where you are performing the action based strictly on the fact that you love doing it and find a personal satisfaction from doing it. People that take up a hobby and loose themselves in it are intrinsically motivated,
     I think I'm Intrinsic.  I'm paying money out but will never see much for a reward.  Do medals count?     Doing it Because I Can.
2006-04-13 7:28 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I'm both about 50/50.  I do it because exercise is a great stress reliever.  I also do it because it is a way of weight loss for me.
2006-04-13 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I think I am a combo, but primarily intrinsic.  There are times (a lot!) that I am running or biking along by myself that I just start grinning because I am loving the moment.  Actually, it happened at my race last weekend during the bike segment.  I am not fast and will never win a race, but I am trying to improve my own times.

The little bit of extrinsic somes from those days when I am feeling kind of lazy (we all have them don't we!?).  Anyway, those are the days when I think about the people I talk to on the BT forum and I work out anyway because I might get one of those cool inspire messages in my blog.       

Diane

2006-04-13 7:36 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Intrinsic ALL THE WAY! I love the sport, the people, the training, the racing, the sacrifice, etc. I began TRI-ing to test my limits, to be healthier and to take upon a challenge. Now I want to be the very best I can be. It will take me some time to get where I want to be but I am working towards that. Every time I am racing I am trying to beat every single person that is ahead of me

2006-04-13 7:44 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Intrinsic.  The rewards I get are all self-satisfaction.  (But if someone wants to pay me, I'll work out even more. )  I'm motivated by the competition both with myself and with others.  I race mostly for/against myself, but I do use others to push myself.  I'm also motivated to stay healthy and active for myself and my family which is partly why I love the training.
2006-04-13 8:17 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

I think 70% intrinsic / 30% extrinsic:  I love training and love the feeling of doing it.  I have learned from hanging out on this site that I WILL WORK HARDER when I know others are watching my logs.  So, I did this for 4 years without knowing a soul (intrinsic) but am pushing myself harder now with the extrinsic BT motivation than I did before.

That being said, I race to beat my own times/goals. 

2006-04-13 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Mostly intrinsic, I think, I enjoy it, but I really, really love to eat, so I have to exercise--would that be extrinsic?
2006-04-13 8:26 AM

User image

Youngstown, Ohio
I'm also about 50/50.  I'm a newbie to this sport and started training as a means to get in shape.  Having an obsessive personality, I've thrown myself into the training for the love of training(intrinsic).  I also like the attention I'm getting from everyone when I tell them I'm participating in a triathlon, which motivates me to keep going(extrinsic). 

Edited by ovspmike 2006-04-13 8:27 AM
2006-04-13 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Mostly intrinsic.  Although I must say I do find a reward in people finding out that I'm doing tris and being impressed...so there's probably some extrinsic motivation there.

2006-04-13 8:43 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Mostly intrinsic as people above have stated.  Question, if in a race I see a guy I want to catch and pass over the last mile is that intrinsic or extrinsic?  At first it seems ex-but its for my own benefit that I want to pass him, he's not giving me anything for it.  Or is it extrinsic because maybe it means I'll be on the podium?  (this is a hypothetical so I can dream, right?)  Is the difference between 3rd and 4th place intrinsic or extrinsic?  Even if there were a $$$ prize for 3rd this is not how I make my living so the intrinsic reward would be much more important  to me than the extrinsic.  Now that I think about it that way, I am 100% intrinsically motivated.
2006-04-13 9:00 AM

User image

Elite

Intrinsic.  I don't race and get basically tolerance rather than encouragement from my family.

TW

2006-04-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #395548

Elite
Laurium, MI

it really depends.  On training I am all intristic.  Which is why I still go out and run/swim/ride even if my friends bail on me.  I can say that while I am out there working out, I love what I am doing.

Racing..... it gets dicey.  Usually I am racing against my own personal best.  some of that is because so far the only races I have been doing at local 5k's and I'm in that space just ahead of the pack where there really is nobody to catch or pace off of.  So I gauge the sucess of my race on my time and how I feel at the end.  I could come in dead last, but if I finish the race and feel I had nothing left in me and I gave 110%, then I would be satisfied.  Same goes for if I finished a race in 1st and felt like I still had some left in me, or that I could have been faster, then I am disappointed.  However....  If I am running a race and I manage to catch someone, or I run head to head with someone for a good portion of the race, then pull ahead on the final stretch....I do take pleasure in that.  Even when that person is not in my age group. 

2006-04-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #395573

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
vortmax - 2006-04-13 9:21 AM

However....  If I am running a race and I manage to catch someone, or I run head to head with someone for a good portion of the race, then pull ahead on the final stretch....I do take pleasure in that.  Even when that person is not in my age group. 

What I'm saying is that I think this is still intrinsic motivation.  Are you being rewarded from any outside source for beating that person?  No, your reward still comes from within.  I was getting it twisted in my head too, then I re-read the OP a couple of times. 

2006-04-13 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
When I started last year with training...I was almost 99% extrinsic. I was WAY overweight and wanted to find a safe but good way of losing it. After a month of training, and especilly after my first triathlon, I would say that I am now about 70% Instrisic(still want to lose weight). I found that finishing a triathlon after months of hard work is supremely rewarding and also very addicting. I now enjoy the huge training time and buildup to an event just as much as I enjoy the event itself.

2006-04-13 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Intrinsic.

Doctor, Mom, kids, wife, newscasts, etc. all told me I needed to exercise more and lose weight...yea...yea...yea...just wasn't a priority for me. That was all extrinsic motivation and it didn't work!! Once I decided that I needed to lose weight and get some exercise, it all happened pretty reliably. Now, I had the motivation of a backpacking trip that tipped me over the edge, which isn't really intrisic or extrinsic in the sense that I could have skipped the trip.

I don't expect my prize money to offset even my first pair of goggles, let alone the road bike, aerobars, and wetsuit I bought for my HIM this year.
2006-04-13 1:07 PM

User image

Llanelli, South Wales, UK
I think I'm probably mainly intrinsic, in that I exercise for me and nobody else. I do it because I enjoy the feeling of satisfaction I get from it and I push myself through those tough sessions hoping that the next one will be one of those great ones that just feels totally effortless and like I could go on forever. I love the feeling of freedom when I run and how all my cares just seem to melt away. Even though my main reason for getting into fitness was to lose weight I think that's still an intrinsic thing because I want to do that for me and no one else.

But saying that I think I do have that little extrinsic part of me too because praise when you're doing well and the awe that people look at you with when you tell them you're doing a tri or that you ran 10 miles over the weekend is a really nice feeling. Although that never enters my head while I'm actually doing it, I don't run along thinking "just wait till I tell the girls at work about this". I also have to admit that the competitive side of me does get a little smug when I pass people or just find out that I'm faster than people I know.

Oh but actually that make me remember a time when I was doing an interval session on the treadmill (which I loathe) at the gym and really would have loved to cut it short because I was finding it tough but I just couldn't because me and the guy next to me had got on at the same time and he was still going - I would NOT be beaten.

Edited by rumphalina 2006-04-13 1:23 PM
2006-04-13 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
I think I started out doing tri's for extrinsic reasons, i.e., weight loss, but after two years, I find that I really like the training, the lifestyle, and especially the cool gear and the competition, so I have switched to intrinsic motivation. Also, when I first started, I trained and competed with two friends of mine, who have now all but dropped out of the training and I train mostly by myself.
2006-04-13 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
* Intrinsic

You couldn't pay me enough to train if I didn't love doing it, it's too close to manual labor.

The best "friend" I'll ever have is that loud, arrogant jerk on a very expensive bike with all the tri geek accouterments. Beating this guy is what gets me up in the morning. It helps even more if he's 20 years younger than me.

At what level do you compete? When you race is it to beat your own times or someone else?

I race to finish as high up overall as possible irregardless of age group. You can't be a top 50-54 age grouper if all you care about is beating a bunch of washed up 50 year old guys with bad knees, you have to have higher goals.

2006-04-13 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Eagle River, Alaska

Thank you all that took the time to answer, it was helpful!!! If any one else wants to answer it will still be helpful!

Jamie

2006-04-13 4:44 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Hands down intrinsic.

Specific motivation: Immediate and long term effects. Immediate being stress relief and endorphines. Long term being weight management and overall health.

Level of competition: I participate- mostly because I can, and each event gives me a goal to work towards which makes me feel like my exercise is more purposeful (but without tris, I'd still be active, see instrinsic motivation). But, after being on BT for awhile, I feel more compelled to compete against myself. I will never be on the podium, and I am totally OK with that. 

2006-04-13 4:58 PM

Master

1) 100% intrinsic, I like the competition.

2) Me likes to compete (and bike, learning to love running)

3) I compete at maybe a BOP to MOP level depending on race? I've only done one as of yet. 107 of 184, MOP?

4) Both!

Rock on.

2006-04-13 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
I would say I am intrisically motivated.

Being the best that I can be. I know that sounds lame, but I love being able to run faster/further, swim with better technique, bike with a higher cadence on difficult rides. These are the things that motivate me. One of my hobbies before Tri-training was weight lifting. I thrived on pushing up more weight, and being able to see improvement week by week. That's what keeps me motivated.

I think I'm a MOP. I race against myself and trying to beat other people. I look up the times from the previous year and try to judge before the race where I should be placing. Then come race day, I have a personal goal to finish in that time and not in a specific place or to beat a specific person (except my brother). Granted, my mindset at every race is to compete at the best of my abilities and not let getting pass or passing people stop me from running my race.
2006-04-13 9:42 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

1. Intrinsic

2. Extrinsic

Well, maybe a little of both?

I train because I enjoy doing it... I also train because I don't want to the idiot at a race who can't finish because she didn't train!

But, mostly... I train because I want to and it's fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Rss Feed  

of 1