Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-12-13 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Why did you start triathlon?

We're looking for inspirational stories of how triathlon has changed your life.

Here are a few questions to get your mind working and your fingers typing:

1 - Why did you start training for a triathlon?
2 - Did you start training for medical reasons?  If yes, give as much of a description as you feel comfortable giving.
3 - How has triathlon training helped your medical issues? Has training helped you cut down on medication?
4 - How has triathlon training improved your lifestyle?

(Your answer may be used in a BT article at the beginning of the New Year.)

2011-12-14 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3937520

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Why did you start triathlon?

I don't know how inspirational this will be... but you asked.. haha. 

I have always been into sports and being active my entire life. Most of the time it was not so common sports, like waterskiing, PWC racing, wakeboarding, motorcycle racing, then triathlon. I have two friends who are marathoners, so they inspired me to start running a little bit and eventually train for a half marathon. During training I started to get interested in triathlon and ended up doing my first sprint tri before I ever did the HM. I loved it, not at the time because I was totally untrained for bike and swim, but after the tri I was online looking for more to sign up for. 

How has it changed my life? Well... I deal with phobias, of many things. Training, traveling and competing with many other people has caused me to have to face those phobias and basically just get over it. Doing this has lead to me not having as much anxiety or depression, so I feel better physically, but to me, most important is that I feel better mentally. I'm no longer dealing with daily anxiety because a nice morning swim, bike or run burns up that extra energy that turns into anxiety. I feel better about myself, my body and my mental state, which were 3 things that left me depressed in the past and sometimes wanting to die. All I can think about now is my next workout and how I'm going to push myself to go farther and get faster. 

No, it's not a wonderful feel good story about losing tons of weight, getting off medication and defying diabetes, but the huge changes that triathlon made for me were on the inside. Triathlon did add years to my life, because I had thoughts of ending it at one time. I turned 30 less than a week ago, and while people were asking if I'm ok because they thought I would be stressed by turning 30, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in and I'm way happier than ever. So I'm leaving the depressed years behind and moving on to a great life as a strong, confident, unafraid adult. 

2011-12-14 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I did start tri training for medical reasons, but not what most people would think...

I had been a runner in high school and into college, but training for marathons caused my knee issues. The doctor put me in the pool to keep my sanity while I couldn't run, and the guys in the pool told me to get a bike (but I suspect they were trying to get rid of me). But the tri training cleared up my knee issues.

2011-12-14 10:17 AM

User image

NC

Hot chicks.

2011-12-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3938098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Goosedog - 2011-12-14 8:17 AM

Hot chicks.

That's what I was hoping for, but all the triathlon chicks in my town are old, and I know they prey on me and my youngness.

I started because I got a bike to commute to Uni. Liked it so got my citizen bike license and did a few races. Didn't like the cycling race vibe much and also wanted to do more. So I found triathlon, amazing atmosphere and gave me a nice hurdle to climb, learn how to swim properly.

2011-12-14 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I started because my triathlete Chiropractor mentioned triathlons one day (June 7, 2009) and I thought, "Hmmm... I could do that."  I had just learned to run 5K at that time.  Now I'm an Ironman.

I think my chiropractor got me into this lifestyle for job security.  I need him now more than ever!

2011-12-14 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3938124

User image

NC
ubersteiny - 2011-12-14 11:32 AM

That's what I was hoping for, but all the triathlon chicks in my town are old, and I know they prey on me and my youngness.

You should move to North Carolina (e.g., see above).

2011-12-14 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Born into a running family, been running as long as I could walk.

Had an accident as a kid that resulted in post-traumatic osteoarthritis, so have had knee pain since I was about 12. Couple of surgeries, knee kept getting worse.

About 9-10 years ago, it was clear I couldn't keep up the run volume I was doing. While rehabbing a microfracture, I learned to swim and bought a bike. Moved to MN, where a friend was involved in the very extensive tri scene. Bought a tri bike, started out when I was still run/walking.

The knee issues have resulted in several of surgeries (which have had their own complications), and a lot of other things stemming from a life of athletics with a severe imbalance, so a sport that lessened the impact was good. Besides, with very little work, I was a much more competitive cyclist (relatively speaking) than I was a runner.

Has it IMPROVED my lifestyle? Not really :D I mean, it gives me a reason to stay active, and allows me to "compete" at races...both of which I enjoy. And I've met some nice people, and spend a lot of time dinking around on the internet, too. But it hasn't IMPROVED my life. It fits into it, I guess. :-)

2011-12-14 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3938140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Goosedog - 2011-12-14 8:38 AM
ubersteiny - 2011-12-14 11:32 AM

You should move to North Carolina (e.g., see above).

NC eh, I'll put that on my US citizen application, reason for application: hot triathlon chicks.

2011-12-14 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
I saw the Iron War back in 1989 when I was 14 years old I had to wait 2 years till I was 16 to compete in my first Tri. I did my first tri in 1991 an Olympic it was awesome and I won my age group because i was the only crazy 16 year old to race back then. Since then I have been hooked doing several races of all distances biggest accomplishment 2000 IM Flordia 10:43:19 and now 12 years later this July 22, 2012 I will be treading water at the start of IM Lake Placid.
2011-12-14 10:58 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

I had a few things occur all at once that got me into triathlon.  I was a runner and cyclist in high school and college. My first tri experience was a with a "team" back in '95 and I did the cycling portion.  I rode mountain bikes, road bikes, cyclocross, I ran track and x-country, did a lot of 5Ks and was once considered pretty fast (16:30ish).  I was super thin in high school, typical distance runner size, ?5'10" or so and about 135 lbs. I was in ok shape at the end of college, about 165-170 lbs, not quite as fast as I was in high school.

Somewhere after college I just stopped running and cycling.  My bikes got dusty hanging in the garage. I got married, had kids, had a 9-5 job, and ballooned up to about 200 lbs and 36" waistline.  I tried to get back into running in 2005 and attempted a marathon that went bad (didn't train properly).  Finished in 5:07.

Then it hit me.  After a routine physical in 2009 my Dr. told me I had diabetes.  My blood glucose was 350 mg/dl (normal is under 100), and my 3 month average (called an A1C) was through the roof at 11% (normal is below 6%).

I was flipping through a Bicyling magazine and saw an ad for the local Tour de Cure coming up in a few months.  I decided I wanted to try that and manage my diabetes through exercise and diet.  Through that experience I got back into the community and an old cycling friend of mine told me about some triathlons she was doing.  That sounded like fun to me so I thought I'd give it a try.  Ended up taking 1st in my AG in my first sprint.

After that I was hooked.  A couple more sprints, an Olympic and 70.3 later and  here I am.  Had a much more successful marathon too (3:38), and I am feeling better than I have in years. I'm back down under 170#, my last A1C was 5.7, and my diabetes is pretty well under control.

This year will be the year I get fast again!

2011-12-14 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I had been either cycling or running for the past 30+ years and  had completed  3 tris in the mid '80s.  Five years ago, due to some health issues, I totally stopped training.  Over a period of 3 years I gained 30 pounds.

I have a close friend...Jeff... who has never worked out a day in his life.  I find his beer gut to be disgusting.  One of my daughters made the comment: "god dad, your gut is as big as Jeff's".  I dismissed her comment with the use of some inappropriate language.  To prove her point, she took a picture of us, without my knowing it.  OMG...MY GUT IS AS BIG AS JEFF'S!!!

That night I sat down on the computer and worked out a training schedule.  Joined the local aquatic center that week, dusted off my bike and finished an Oly 5 months later.....20 lbs lighter.

Thanks for the motivation Jeff!!!

2011-12-14 11:38 AM

I was a 40 yr old father who was extreamly overweight. never did a single athletic thing since freshman year highschool. highblood pressure. and not in the best health.. Smoked a pack a day through my thirtys..

One day my niece asked at a party if any one would be interested in doing the 3 Day Susan G koman 60 mile walk w her.. My wife and I said sure .. Thinking this is what we need to get on a progrom and get active... well it worked we trained for 4 months and did the 60 mile walk...

Now at this point I am pumped and looking for something else to challenge me well I saw an Ironman coverage and was motivated.. After a quick google search found , BT and a sprint in my hometown which was to happen 5 months from then and I got started learning how to Swim Bike and Run..

It wasnt an easy ride at first having no experiance in any of the disciplines. But with constant research on BT a great masters coach and lots of hrs training . I got there, completed my first sprint, April of 2010.

I have since accomplished 10 sprints with several w OWSs.. 2 15k trailruns ,2  HMs and many other smaller runs and actually podiuming a 10k.

Now Im signed up for my first HIM for April 1 2012 This race will be the first tri on my third season and I am as fired up about this race as I was for the first one 2 years ago...

Its been an incredible experiance and along the way I have lost just over 80lbs w no more health issues, inspired 6 friends to race triathlons, watched my 5 yr old son run 3ea Kid 1mile races also my wife runs  5ks now.

So in summary.. Triathlon and BT has changed my life and a few around me By proxi.... I am an addict...I get real grumpy if I cant get out and get anaerobic....Thats my story.... hope it inspires you..

2011-12-14 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Goosedog - 2011-12-14 10:17 AM

Hot chicks.

+1

2011-12-14 12:21 PM

User image

Regular

I was in graduate school playing soccer on Clemson club team.  A mutual friend was part of our hang out group and we used to go rock climb from time to time.  He was quite adventurous.  He once dared us to join him for a triathlon at the local lake (Hartwell).  My other buds balked, but I said sure, sounds fun.  He said it "was a small triathlon - a sprint -  so we didn't have to train that much."  I said great, I run a bunch for soccer and have a dusty road bike that I used to ride, should be fine.  We had grand plans to train, but never happened.  We showed up the night before the event to pick up our packets and saw the bouys for the swim course.  We were stunned.  "Surely they won't make us swim around ALL those bouys," he said.  We then found the race director and he confirmed our fear that, yes we would be swimming around all the bouys.

The swim was aweful.  I remember we were in the first wave.  We barely made it to the first bouy before switching to backstroke/doggie paddle.   Then the next wave (30+women) came wizzing past us, then the next wave...and the next...you get the picture.  It was an eye opening experience, but the rest of the morning went well.  I went on to do several more sprints that summer, and each one got better.

I got out of the sport when I started having kids, job took over and I put on about 40lbs.  Thats when I got back in for good, trained for my first half ironman (lost the 40) and haven't looked back.  I would say that I stay in the sport for the cool people I meet and the health benefits that training provides.   Finished IMFL recently, and now have the long course bug.  We'll see if I can slip another one of those onto the schedule soon.

2011-12-14 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Goosedog - 2011-12-14 10:17 AM

Hot chicks.

I was gonna put "To look good with my shirt off", but I guess the end game is what's really important.

2011-12-14 3:25 PM

User image

Pro

Saw an Ironman race on Wide World of Sports in 1982 and thought it looked like a good time.

2011-12-14 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

My journey started in December 2010. At that time I was like many other 40+ year old dads. I dropped the kids off at school every morning and then sat at a desk for 8+ hours a day. After work I’d head home and sit in front of the TV or computer.

My wife and I would play softball once a week for most of the summer and maybe go for a short bike ride with the kids. I had put on an extra 20 pounds in recent years.

In an effort to build up some stamina for playing outfield I started jogging about 3 days a week. Just one mile at a time, but it was something.

Then on a dark and rainy night while driving down the highway my life took a sudden change. I was driving along with my family in our minivan at about 45 mph when suddenly there’s a loud bang and we are stopped. My legs are in pain, my youngest daughter is screaming, and my wife is looking at me asking what just happened. It turns out a young man who was unfamiliar with the area had run a red light and we (along with another driver who was alongside us) had T boned his SUV.

Our two daughters were fine, but my wife and I both had ligament damage in our necks from the whiplash and my shins took a beating from the lower console and airbag.

After a month of rehab on my neck, multiple visits to the chiropractor each week, and the daily neck strengthening exercises my wife and I made some changes to our schedule and started learning how to run using this site’s aggressive couch to 5k program. Part way through the spring we started learning how to swim freestyle with the Total Immersion system, and in the summer we bought road bikes and added that to our training.

Through training I lost the extra 20 pounds. In May we ran our first 5k, in September we did our first super sprint tri, and last month we ran in a 6 mile turkey trot. I’m planning at least 2 sprints and an Olympic in 2012 in addition to various local run races.

I’ve only had a taste of triathlon to this point, and I'm a BOPer, but I like it, and I don’t ever want to go back to the couch potato lifestyle.

There’s more to tell, but I need to head out for my last taper run before this weekend’s 5k race.

Be safe all. See you at the races!

John

2011-12-14 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

my dad passed away from lung cancer in 2009. Devastated from this, I wanted to do benefit races for lung cancer awareness and research, found none in my area. Decided to start my own race, but people told me it was too hard, then I met my current coach Amy Bennett of Camp Bennett. Friends said to talk to her for advice, turned out she was doing her own 2 day event with a 10k trail run, 20k mt bike race, and off road tri.

She not only gave me advice, but offered to dedicate the 10k trail run to lung cancer benefit ! In return, I was asked to help plan the race. Not to make a long story out of this, but I was going to do the trail run only, but she encouraged me to do all the races. So my first challenge was to figure out how to do tri's and start training. Did a few sprint tri's to figure things out, and then wound up doing great in all her off road events, including the tri. I was hooked. Then expanded from there, building up to olympic distance that year. Also did my first marathon. I was pretty stoked at 47 to be reaching for new goals. Also was achieving the weight loss that my doctor had requested, although instead of losing 15lbs, I wound up losing 40! Getting my weight down from 185 to 145.

2010 was tri crazy, and did every event I could sign up for, did my first HIM, multiple olympics, and XTERRA Worlds tri, and a second marathon. Coach Amy had tri training going all year for the various races, and helped me with detailed plans.

Finished the year signing up for Ironman in Western Australia. This would certainly be the biggest challenge yet.

2011, trimmed down on the number of races, and focussed on training for the key events, did my second HIM, a few olympics and XTERRA Worlds again. Final event of this year would be my first Ironman, which is what I just accomplished. This was the event that seemed to pull it all together from the beginning, although it wasn't a benefit for lung cancer, I hope that it will serve as inspiration for others.

2011-12-15 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Did a few of the Bud Lite triathlons back in the 80's.    Didn't do any again until two years ago.    Then it was for a lark.  Now it's because I don't want to grow any older any faster that I must and it's all about quality of life.    Chemo is slightly easier to tolerate when one is fit.  One also recovers faster.

Lost Boy to the end....    Cool

Edited by MadMathemagician 2011-12-15 8:20 AM
2011-12-15 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
For me, it was a series of small moments and one big moment that led me to this sport.
Like a lot of people, I watched the iconic Julie Moss ironman finish in 1983, and, like most people it really stuck with me. That was moment #1.

I’ve been an athlete my whole life, but never endurance sports. I played football, lacrosse and wrestled as a kid, and played fast-pitch softball and boxed as an adult. I loved to swim and ride my mountain bike, but never did either one competitively. One day, I was riding my bike in Manhattan and I passed a bunch of fit people pushing really cool bikes along the Hudson River promendade. I realized that these were triathletes, who had just finished the NYC tri. I recall being really excited, like someone who is on a safari and sees a pride of lions or something. They seemed really cool and almost supernaturally fit, and I remember thinking, “I would love to be one of those people.” That was moment #2.

A friend of mine did a couple of triathlons years ago, and she said she really liked them. She was athletic, but not someone who I considered at the time to be much more fit than I was, so that put me into the frame of mind of thinking, “Hmm…maybe I can do this?” (Moment #3) A couple of years later, I was watching an episode of MTV’s “Made”, where an overweight, completely un-athletic awkward kid trained for and finished a Sprint tri in 60 days. And at that point, I thought, “Well, if he can do it, I can certainly do it.”(Moment #4).

After my son was born, I put on a lot of weight, and I was determined to do something about it.(the one big moment) I decided I was going to do something about it. I signed up for the same race my friend had done a couple of years before. I bought a Garmin and borrowed a bike to train on. My first race turned into a duathlon because of heavy surf, but I remember everything about that day. I remember what the people around me at the starting line were wearing. I remember small details of the course and what music was playing. It was such an amazing experience—I didn’t want it to be over. A month or so later, I had discovered BT and heard about a new triathlon in Galveston, TX, where my parents live. I signed up and raced the Lonestar tri in 2007, and finally became a triathlete.

In 2009, I raced the New York City tri, and as I was wheeling my bike out of transition after the race, it occurred to me, “Hey, I’m one of those people now!”.

2011-12-15 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I hadn't played any sports since high school, and back then I definitely wasn't one of the best athletes, but I could keep up in whatever I was playing. Fast forward to age 34: my 3rd kid was just born, and I'd been a smoker for about 18 years. I'd always heard some urban legend that if you quit smoking before your 35th birthday, your lungs could return to normal function with no permanent damage, so I was really looking for something to keep me focused and off smoking forever.

There's a really well produced sprint tri in my town and for some reason, it seemed like half the people I knew were signing up for it, in various capacities of fitness. I decided somehow that this was the motivation I'd need to quit smoking - to get into shape again and do this race. I gave myself 6 months, and with no idea what I was doing started "training". I went to the pool and found I couldn't really swim anything but the breaststroke without getting totally gassed, and even that stroke could get me maybe 10 laps before I collapsed. Oops. I tried to run - big problems. Couldn't run a mile without walking at some point, let alone a 5K. Biking was the only thing I seemed to be able to do - I have always had really muscular legs and had been a really strong biker when I was younger (I rode everywhere for years until I got a car, then rode everywhere in college).  I figured I would do fine on the bike, but I had a lot of work to do.

The race was a thrill. Of course I hadn't done that well, but I was not DFL, in fact I was a lot closer to middle of the pack. I did fine in the water, *felt* fine on the bike (but got killed by the field, not having ever raced before!, and jogged the run best I could. But the bug was in - I'd lost about 25 lbs, had learned how to run and swim, and was hopelessly addicted to this triathlon thing. Best of all, I had finally quit smoking. I kept right on training, signed up for more races, and haven't stopped since.

I never saw this coming - I had always thought "cyclists" were weenies in stupid clothes, runners were crazy sadists, and it never occurred to me that anyone other than high school kids, olympians, or people in PT would actually use the lanes in the pool (which, as it turns out, mayb actually be true, though I now know that triathletes do too. Most days we're in 2 of the 4 lanes). The only sports I watched were baseball and football, and the only "sport" I played was golf. I'd only heard of the Ironman, I had no idea there was any other competitive distance. Crazy sport.

2011-12-15 9:57 AM

User image

Charlotte, NC

All of these inspiring stories and then there's me.  Why did I start?  I honestly have no idea.  I was watching TV with the wife and told her I wanted to do a triathlon.  I think the look on her face (the "Oh, no.  not another expensive sport" look) was enough to make me actually do it. 

I bought a Cannondale hybrid, a mag trainer, some goggles and a good pair of running shoes.  The wife insisted, "No more money on this until you can complete a race!"  What did I do?  Went out and bought a Cervelo 3 weeks before my first race. 

I finished in the back 1/3 of the pack but I was pleased that I 1) didn't drown, 2) didn't crash on the bike, 3) didn't have a heart attack, and 4) didn't quit (most important). 

2011-12-15 10:15 AM

User image

Pro

So I could hang with people that are even more disturbed and OCD than marathoners  

Actually, I've been running for 32+ years and my marathon training group had two people who were triathletes. They were smart and eased me into it, knowing my addictive personality would come into play soon enough. First, they convinced me to buy a bike for cross-training. I really enjoyed riding and the change to going fast and far after so much running. Then they talked me into duathlon, which made sense since I was biking and running.

This year I took the big step, swimming. I am not a swimmer, and this was the primary reason I hadn't gotten into triathlon sooner. Like most things, I figured if I signed up for an event it would force me to train, so in March I signed up for a May sprint triathlon. I wound up doing a spring marathon and not getting into the pool until a month before the tri. Stupidly I figured I was in great shape, running and biking came pretty easily, so how hard could it be to learn how to swim? Big lesson - swimming is hard! Man did I struggle, but fortunately I had a coach and swam almost every day. 

First tri was incredible. I was completely unprepared for the mass start and a pond full of weeds and other junk. It took 12+ minutes to swim 400 yards and it felt like an hour. My family and kids were starting to panic as pretty much everyone else was out of the water and I was nowhere to be seen. Finally I emerged, wobbling, and headed into transition. Struggled with socks (4 minutes?!), got on the bike, and took off. Meanwhile my family went to volunteer making sandwiches and passing out food. Had a good bike ride and a better run, and finished with a huge grin. I was hooked!I couldn't believe I'd just swam in a pond, bike, and run, all in a but over an hour. This is nuts!

I did two more sprints this past year. I also did 3.5 marathons and 4 duathlons. This has been an incredible year. At 49 I am in the best shape I've been in since college. Right now I am limited by my swim but have a new swim coach from my tri club and my goal for 2012 is a HIM.

For me I think the greatest benefit has been the new challenge. I wasn't afraid of the water, I just didn't enjoy it. I can't say I enjoy swimming but I enjoy the challenge of triathlon enough to want to get in the pool and train. There's something about swim/bike/run and becoming a multidimensional amateur athlete that is pushing me along.

I also think the race environment is special. Getting there early, racking the bike, laying everything out, checking out the competition. It's like a gladiator preparing for battle. Except you're competing with some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

2011-12-15 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
I grew up ski racing and continued through college. I ran cross country to maintain my fitness in the offseason but found running alone to be very boring. In the late 80's as I was graduating from HS, my triathlon interest grew as I was family friends with Scott Miller who continues to be the only sub-10 hrs finisher (9:34) in Kona and sub-24 hrs in the Western States 100 in the same year. As a 6x Kona IM finisher he was a role model and stopped me one day while I was talking to his father and said I should give it a try. 20+ years later after kids and the career were in a good spot I started training last year.....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why did you start triathlon? Rss Feed  

of 3