2012-05-02 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4186623

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Biggest Loser
powerman - 2012-05-02 2:20 PM
DougRob - 2012-05-02 10:36 AM

Well the best thing I can say about Jeremy is that he is not Conda.

Who writes Ali's intros of the contestants? Oscar night writers? It was horrific! If the show really cared about helping people get fit, beyond providing "inspiration," then they would give more information about the workouts, how to balance them, how to recover, what to eat, when to eat, when your are just sore and when you are hurt, etc. The fact that they do not provide that inoformation just proves that they are really solely about the ratings and the $.

Well that and the infomercials. Good points.

I would like to see more of this as well.  Of course, they have added more than previous years.  Sometimes I think they avoid it a bit to keep people from immitating and getting hurt in the process.  We all know that these contestants are really doing more than the average person can/should do.

I think the show tries to emphasize simply that it's diet and exercise...some combination thereof really does work.  You don't need gastric bypass or a fancy gym...you just need to change your diet/exercise habits.  And I do think they do a pretty decent job of getting that message across...usually. :D

2012-05-02 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4186794

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I realize now we saw nothing about what happened when they got home, other than the first reveal.   Nothing about the last many weeks before the show.  Maybe Conda was too busy running her mouth to get good footage.   I also wonder if the debacle with the quitters took more time or they were punishing the cast by essentially giving up on them.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-05-02 3:54 PM
2012-05-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3968036

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
AARRRGGGGGHHHHHH *pulls hair out*

I can't believe Kim didn't win. She looked AMAZING! Jeremy still looked... fat. Ugh. At least Conda didn't win. She still looked fat too. I'm just happy she didn't win.

Mike looked really great! 160 lbs... wow!

Everyone else looked... OK.

Daphane still had fat rolls on her biceps. That's a first. Poor lady. It will be her curse for the rest of her life.

Only Kim and Mike really looked amazing. I was surprised to see how many of the women still had pretty big bellies on them.

This is why I don't like them getting contestants in the 400 lb range. The finale isn't as WOW.

*Grumble*

2012-05-02 11:15 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

Who the hell picked out Jeremy's suit?  The damn thing didn't fit him at all.  He looked like Chris Farley doing the "fat guy in a little coat" bit.

Gotta agree with the other points: Conda will gain weight back.  Jeremy will likely do the same.  Kim will get all the BL endorsements.  You gotta believe the producers and sponsors were just praying she would win.

2012-05-03 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4186395

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
jldicarlo - 2012-05-02 1:51 PM
Sous - 2012-05-02 10:23 AM
jldicarlo - 2012-05-02 9:47 AM

I will say that Kim was maybe the best looking finalist ever. I think she was the perfect weight. She looked healthy and toned, but not dehydrated like many in the past. Out of the final 3, I think she is the only one that will keep the weight off. I am glad this one is over. 

I would agree.  Though I think Tara looked pretty darn good her season too.

I am not positive Kim will keep the weight off though.  She is VERY motivated by competition and I worry that without the competition she won't be able to stay as motivated.  I don't think she'll ever be super fat again, but I wouldn't place bets on her staying as thin as she was last night.

I agree both Kim and Tara looked fantastic... fit, healthy, strong.

To the other point, I think that Kim will do as well as Tara... if you notice she (Tara) has packed on a few extra pounds since her finale. 

Tara at least said she kind of did that deliberately.  The weight she was at for the finale she said wasn't really manageable and that the weight she went back up to was a better weight for her.  It wasn't slow creep like so many other contestants, it was a conscious decision to aim for a different target.

She still doesn't look fat at all.

I'm not sure I entirely GET that.  I mean...IMHO any lower weight would feel more manageable to me--I'd be able to swim/bike/run better!  Then again, I've never been down to a rock bottom weight anytime in the last 20 years...so...ask me when I get there how I feel!

While her weight (and physical conditioning) at the finale may not have been "manageable", I'd argue that her weight and conditioning during Ironman was a tad bit higher than idea... I'm mean really... this is how she looked after training who knows how long for an Ironman.  Not calling her fat... but she ain't slim and trim either.

2012-05-03 8:36 AM

Master
Memphis, TN

I'd still hit Tara.  Her build in general does not lend itself to being 105#. 

On another note, with this season complete can they wait a few months before airing another one please?  The reason I barely watched this season was I was so burned out from the previous season.  Just a breather until Fall. 

2012-05-03 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Yeah, the weight Tara is at now, really isn't where she probably should be.

I think it is very hard to keep one's weight down during Ironman training. The hunger can be all encompassing. I know for me, I am hungry all the time. I tell myself not to eat, but if I don't, I get tired and then I have painful headaches. It's just unbearable. So I eat. The first time I did IM training I gained 8 lbs, none of my clothes fit (trust me, it wasn't muscle). This time around, I did better. My clothes are still fitting. Woo-Hoo!

Moral of the story: Tara was thinner when she was doing all gym work, and maintaining a lower weight during IM training (and the hunger that comes with it) can be a challenge for a thin person. I can only image what it is like for someone who was obese.

But yes, she does need to lose some weight.

2012-05-03 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4187272

Master
Memphis, TN

KSH - 2012-05-02 7:58 PM AARRRGGGGGHHHHHH *pulls hair out* I can't believe Kim didn't win. She looked AMAZING! Jeremy still looked... fat. Ugh. At least Conda didn't win. She still looked fat too. I'm just happy she didn't win. Mike looked really great! 160 lbs... wow! Everyone else looked... OK. Daphane still had fat rolls on her biceps. That's a first. Poor lady. It will be her curse for the rest of her life. Only Kim and Mike really looked amazing. I was surprised to see how many of the women still had pretty big bellies on them. This is why I don't like them getting contestants in the 400 lb range. The finale isn't as WOW. *Grumble*

I think sometime you just can't mathematically win.  Losing 50% of your body weight or slightly more seems to be the number and some of the women just cant get to 125# in her case.  And she isn't 22 years old.  It is harder for the older women but some have done it in the past.  She did great though and this is one of those game shows where you win either way.  Good for her.

2012-05-03 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Dang near anybody looks fat leaned over on a tri bike! :D

But yes, her ideal weight is probably somewhere between her finale weight and her Ironman weight...

Which reminds me...MUST LOSE WEIGHT BEFORE KONA TRAINING RAMPS UP!

2012-05-03 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
I think we get too hung up on "ideal" weight sometimes.

For Tara, she is obviously still very fit and if she is comfortable at her IM weight then so be it. Life is about balance and maybe for her to maintain "ideal" weight requires going to extremes that throw the rest of her life out of balance.
2012-05-03 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4187946

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
jldicarlo - 2012-05-03 10:02 AM

Dang near anybody looks fat leaned over on a tri bike! :D

But yes, her ideal weight is probably somewhere between her finale weight and her Ironman weight...

Which reminds me...MUST LOSE WEIGHT BEFORE KONA TRAINING RAMPS UP!

Ridding a bike doesn't make your hips, thighs, azz, and calfs look fat less than ideal.

2012-05-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4188006

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4188347

Master
Memphis, TN
Teejaay - 2012-05-03 11:15 AM

BigBoy - 2012-05-03 7:25 AM I think we get too hung up on "ideal" weight sometimes. For Tara, she is obviously still very fit and if she is comfortable at her IM weight then so be it. Life is about balance and maybe for her to maintain "ideal" weight requires going to extremes that throw the rest of her life out of balance.

This.  The "ideal" weight is different from person to person.  Age, body composition, lifestyle, genetics, hormones .. it all takes a toll differently on the body and how the body reacts to exercise and diet.  Conda now weighs less than I do yet our bodies look nothing alike.  (unless I am in denial, LOL

I just watched the finale and Kim looked fantastic!  I wish she had won.  Someone please tell me why they hoisted Emily's boobs up like that?  OMG .. they had to have her in some sort of iron-bra .. it looked cartoonish and uncomfortable.  My girls ached looking at it. 

I agree with this.  I think, especially with regard to women, we get hung up on what the latest model looks like and her proportions.  I've seen very fit men and women look less than flattering in the aero position.  Unless I'm drafting behind her 

2012-05-03 11:49 AM

Champion
Calgary
I missed the season with Tara. I got no real love for her. To me, it kinda bugs me that they keep bringing her back like this person who is the model of fitness when it is clear that she still has trouble with weight. ....although I suppose that is like all of us.

Anyways, Kim, unbelievable. Have you seen the gunshow picture?

http://www.diva-dirt.com/2012/05/02/in-pictures-what-kim-nielsen-lo...

She is skinny, right? But those arms, wow. And no real left over jiggle there either.

The other thing is, it doesn't look like she totally dehydrated herself. Of course neither did Jeremy. Maybe they asked people to stop doing that.
2012-05-03 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4187866

Champion
Dallas, TX
Jtiger - 2012-05-03 8:39 AM

KSH - 2012-05-02 7:58 PM AARRRGGGGGHHHHHH *pulls hair out* I can't believe Kim didn't win. She looked AMAZING! Jeremy still looked... fat. Ugh. At least Conda didn't win. She still looked fat too. I'm just happy she didn't win. Mike looked really great! 160 lbs... wow! Everyone else looked... OK. Daphane still had fat rolls on her biceps. That's a first. Poor lady. It will be her curse for the rest of her life. Only Kim and Mike really looked amazing. I was surprised to see how many of the women still had pretty big bellies on them. This is why I don't like them getting contestants in the 400 lb range. The finale isn't as WOW. *Grumble*

I think sometime you just can't mathematically win.  Losing 50% of your body weight or slightly more seems to be the number and some of the women just cant get to 125# in her case.  And she isn't 22 years old.  It is harder for the older women but some have done it in the past.  She did great though and this is one of those game shows where you win either way.  Good for her.

Yeah, when I heard what she needed to lose to beat Jeremy, I knew he had it. There was no way Kim was down to around 120 lbs. And it wasn't realistic for her either. She looked amazing. Which is why they should look at body fat composition too. Kim didn't lose the most percentage of body weight, but she probably had the lowest percentage of body fat. She looked so fit and healthy. Jeremy looked fat.

2012-05-03 12:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Guess I'm by myself in being glad Jeremy won.  Seems like a nice kid who worked hard. 

2012-05-03 12:26 PM

Expert
New York

I think the reason there is so much love for Tara is because she was a competitor. She just pushed through some of the stuff a lot of people (ironically!) on the "no excuses" season just broke down and whined over. 

And while I agree she probably could stand to lose a little bit of weight, I think the fact that she's still out there, working out and being active and obviously enjoying life sets a really great example to people who are unhealthy and want to change their lives. I think it can be demoralizing sometimes to just see a "skinny" person, but fail to see the hard work that goes into looking like that.

I finally watched the finale last night (while biking, ha). My opinion: meh. I mean, Kim looked amazing and I also wished she'd won, but I didn't hate Jeremy that much. Just disliked Conda and her awful attitude. I genuinely hope she's changed, but I'll withhold judgement for a few months and see where she lands.

Also, did anyone notice that Chris looked kinda pouty after weighing in? She still strikes me as an unhappy person. 

I can wait for the next season until fall as well. Hopefully it's a better cast. For the "no excuses" season, this group was wayyyy to whiny for my taste. I really only watch the show because 1. I have to bike indoors during the winter and it's GREAT to do intervals to them weeping while Bob or Dolvett yells at them to go harder and 2. I'll admit sometimes it's inspirational to see how they all turn out. 

2012-05-03 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4187496

New user
Yorkville, IL
dgunthert - 2012-05-02 11:15 PM

Who the hell picked out Jeremy's suit?  The damn thing didn't fit him at all.  He looked like Chris Farley doing the "fat guy in a little coat" bit.

Gotta agree with the other points: Conda will gain weight back.  Jeremy will likely do the same.  Kim will get all the BL endorsements.  You gotta believe the producers and sponsors were just praying she would win.

That first comment cracked me up. Now I'm going to be thinking of that scene the rest of the day

As to the show, I thought for sure Kim would win. She definately looked the best. At least she won a car and some other stuff in there. Still can't believe the quitters though. To go through all that to quit over something that was in the original contract they signed !?!

I also agree about some of the other comments on it would be nice to see more of the actual work they do. How to figure calories, workout schedules, etc. Less reality crap and more reality. Does that make any sence? And do you have to freakin repeat the last couple minutes of the show we just saw before the commercial after the commercial?

2012-05-03 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4188479

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

jmcconne - 2012-05-03 12:13 PM Guess I'm by myself in being glad Jeremy won.  Seems like a nice kid who worked hard. 

He is a good kid.  He suffers from association syndrome...no one liked Conda.

The only thing I didn't really like about Jeremy was how he felt more entitled to be in the finals than the returning contestants.

I think most people feel like Kim should have won because she had the best "total transformation".  You could SEE the results.  Whereas Jeremy still looked fat.

Jeremy DID lose more weight...percentage and total.  He was the "Biggest Loser".

But he had more weight to lose.  This is where the game becomes "survivor-like".  Outlose, outplay, outlast.  You can win the game if you don't lose the most weight...if you can manage to make everyone who loses more than you get eliminated before the finale.

There's no way NBC could ever make this game "fair" in the weight department.  I think it's hard enough to cast contestants without saying they all had to be able to reach 50% weight loss to keep it "fair".  They all get a goal weight, but that weight has to move a little bit as the season goes on.  We see them all get in the Bod Pod.  Which theoretically tells them lean mass and fat mass.  Sure, that's a great opportunity to calculate an initial goal weight based on CURRENT (estimated) lean mass.  But guess what...as the season goes on their lean mass is going to change, and their Bod Pod estimates will get better (I am convinced that since the Bod Pod uses volume it can't possibly be perfect...some of these folks have SO much volume that the poor Bod Pod is practically guessing.).

And define "goal weight"?  What percent body fat is goal weight?  Kim looks down in the teens now.  But a healthy Body Fat for an average woman can be in the low 20% range.

Anyway, just trying to say that we all know the show has flaws.  Though I WOULD like to see them pick contestants that can make a total transformation (realistically) by the finale.

They made a move back towards that this season...no one was absolutely HUGE.  But the biggest guys still struggled to get to something resembling decent looking.

Then again, the absolutely HUGE guys are the ones that really need the most help.  One could argue that the smaller people that can make the whole transformation don't need AS much help.

Just musings I suppose.

2012-05-03 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4188509

Master
Memphis, TN
swishyskirt - 2012-05-03 12:26 PM

I think the reason there is so much love for Tara is because she was a competitor. She just pushed through some of the stuff a lot of people (ironically!) on the "no excuses" season just broke down and whined over. 

And while I agree she probably could stand to lose a little bit of weight, I think the fact that she's still out there, working out and being active and obviously enjoying life sets a really great example to people who are unhealthy and want to change their lives. I think it can be demoralizing sometimes to just see a "skinny" person, but fail to see the hard work that goes into looking like that.

Tara didn't whine like so many competitors on this show over the years.  She just sucked it up and kicked .  They keep bringing her back because she is so loved by the fans.  I personally got tired of them bringing Ali Vincent the one with the dark hair who is on the tubs of protien powder.  For several seasons she was on there. 

She did great but my God did they have her on there alot

2012-05-03 12:54 PM

Expert
New York

Also also: I know they lost their chance of a big "reveal" by quitting, but I really wanted to see what the other guys looked like and if they still had their lives together.

I liked Jeremy, I thought he was funny, but some of his comments made me roll my eyes. For one:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/05/the-biggest-loser-jeremy-fears-gaining-back-all-the-weight.html

He said he feared Kim at the final weigh in. "I knew that Kim was going to give me a run for my money," he said. However, he was confident of all the work he put in. "There was no way she could have possibly been outworking me," he said.

I mean, really? You really think she worked LESS than you? She just had less to lose. That does NOT mean she worked LESS. Annoying.

2012-05-03 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4188512

Elite
Red2sbr - 2012-05-03 11:26 AM

That first comment cracked me up. Now I'm going to be thinking of that scene the rest of the day

As to the show, I thought for sure Kim would win. She definately looked the best. At least she won a car and some other stuff in there. Still can't believe the quitters though. To go through all that to quit over something that was in the original contract they signed !?!

I also agree about some of the other comments on it would be nice to see more of the actual work they do. How to figure calories, workout schedules, etc. Less reality crap and more reality. Does that make any sence? And do you have to freakin repeat the last couple minutes of the show we just saw before the commercial after the commercial?

THE most annoying thing about the show. As I have said, the show itself is just horrible. Long drawn out weigh ins, and then they recap the last minute for the next minute, and go on and on about... GET ON WITH IT!!!

And like has been said, it isn't like they need more filler. So sorry no more "drama" footage... but so so much more stuff could be shown, what does their actual day look like, workout schedules and how they change... how much work they start doing and end up doing... just so much more stuff that could help others wrap their head around it as well as all the great transformations.

And it even irritates me because 95% of those folks have serious head issues. They did not get that way by just sitting around eating. I'm sorry, people get overweight doing that. You do not get morbidly obese by watching too much TV. And just because they drop 100 lbs does not mean they are not that same person with the screwed up head.... but all we get are little sound bites of Dovett playing Dr. Phil TV mental health BS. Obviously there is some confidentiality stuff... but it would also be so so much better if they acualy got more into the REAL problem... food addictions.

I do get attached to the people and root for them to change their lives... but the show itself is pretty darn lame.

2012-05-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4188628

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
powerman - 2012-05-03 1:00 PM
Red2sbr - 2012-05-03 11:26 AM

THE most annoying thing about the show. As I have said, the show itself is just horrible. Long drawn out weigh ins, and then they recap the last minute for the next minute, and go on and on about... GET ON WITH IT!!!

And like has been said, it isn't like they need more filler. So sorry no more "drama" footage... but so so much more stuff could be shown, what does their actual day look like, workout schedules and how they change... how much work they start doing and end up doing... just so much more stuff that could help others wrap their head around it as well as all the great transformations.

And it even irritates me because 95% of those folks have serious head issues. They did not get that way by just sitting around eating. I'm sorry, people get overweight doing that. You do not get morbidly obese by watching too much TV. And just because they drop 100 lbs does not mean they are not that same person with the screwed up head.... but all we get are little sound bites of Dovett playing Dr. Phil TV mental health BS. Obviously there is some confidentiality stuff... but it would also be so so much better if they acualy got more into the REAL problem... food addictions.

I do get attached to the people and root for them to change their lives... but the show itself is pretty darn lame.

I think the trainers playing "Dr. Phil" is the show's way of showing people that they have to deal with the reasons they gained the weight.  They probably don't videotape when the contestants talk to pyschologists (and I'm sure they do!!!! even survivor has a psychologist on staff!).  The contract probably has something in it about how the contestants can choose which medical information is made public.  So, when the contestants agree to allow the show to use their psychology findings, they have to find a way to put it in...and they probably don't have footage of the appointment. So, just like an infomercial they "stage" the trainers bringing this stuff out.

I think my favorite episode was the "contestants walked out" one...because we got to see so much behind the scenes stuff!  That was COOL and I'd like to see more of it!  I'd love to see a camera taping the contestants being taped by a camera...and all the "other" people that are out there to make this all happen.  That would be neat.  And I think it would make the show feel more real.

2012-05-03 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4189057

Elite
jldicarlo - 2012-05-03 2:37 PM

I think the trainers playing "Dr. Phil" is the show's way of showing people that they have to deal with the reasons they gained the weight.  They probably don't videotape when the contestants talk to pyschologists (and I'm sure they do!!!! even survivor has a psychologist on staff!).  The contract probably has something in it about how the contestants can choose which medical information is made public.  So, when the contestants agree to allow the show to use their psychology findings, they have to find a way to put it in...and they probably don't have footage of the appointment. So, just like an infomercial they "stage" the trainers bringing this stuff out.

I think my favorite episode was the "contestants walked out" one...because we got to see so much behind the scenes stuff!  That was COOL and I'd like to see more of it!  I'd love to see a camera taping the contestants being taped by a camera...and all the "other" people that are out there to make this all happen.  That would be neat.  And I think it would make the show feel more real.

Well JL, that actually makes sense. I have no doubt they talk to proffessionals about their stuff, but the Trainers doing their little "breakthroughs" just seemed... well staged. So that actually makes sense your explaination on how they got there.... and reasonable. But I'll stand by my other gripes.

Edited by powerman 2012-05-03 3:45 PM
2012-05-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4189074

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
powerman - 2012-05-03 3:43 PM
jldicarlo - 2012-05-03 2:37 PM

Well JL, that actually makes sense. I have no doubt they talk to proffessionals about their stuff, but the Trainers doing their little "breakthroughs" just seemed... well staged. So that actually makes sense your explaination on how they got there.... and reasonable. But I'll stand by my other gripes.

If a person put on all their weight because they were physically abused by a parent, having that come out on national TV would be bad...way too public to deal with such a private issue.  So, I'm SURE the producers are reasonable about sensitive medical information. 

But I'm going to guess that any stuff like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. is told to be fair game from the get go. :D

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Biggest Loser Rss Feed  

of 19