General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best volunteer position at Ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-03-13 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4094386

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: What is the best volunteer position at Ironman?

At IMWI, I volunteered at bike check-in, which was interesting and enjoyable -- I had done two IMs at that point and was able to reassure first-timers, give out a few tips ('yes, you can pump up your tires in the morning') and help make them feel good about their upcoming race.  I also got to talk with several of the pros as they were sorting out their bikes, and found them to be not just willing but actually quite interested in discussing the race.  (I'm a very non-pushy person, so if they clearly didn't want to talk, I would have backed off immediately.)

I also did T1, which was interesting to watch mostly to see how the pros handled it, but also, as someone said, to be encouraging to the age groupers.  But I wouldn't say that this shift was particularly rewarding.

The best volunteering experience was as finish line catcher, for all of the reasons stated by other posters.  You really cannot have qualms about making contact with sweaty, delirious, sticky, sunscreen-soaked, athletes,  You are instructed to grab hold, and in at least a few cases, grabbing hold was absolutely necessary.  Don't do this job if you are squeamish about these things.

In the end, it is *service* to the sport, in part (but only in part) for a corporation that makes an awful lot of money.  You won't forget that while doing it -- volunteering is *work*.  But overall, it was a positive experience for me.

2012-03-13 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4095081

User image

Extreme Veteran

TRICLOPICUS - 2012-03-13 8:19 PM Late shift catcher at the finishline. You never know who you might bump into (and basically hang out with all night):

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Also you get to see the inspirational stories and the people who finish right near the cut off. With the music and the crowds going crazy, it's like a big party!

Clearly Photoshopped.  Very cool!

2012-03-13 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4094684

Tom Demerly. - 2012-03-13 3:18 PM

Being able to work the finish line is incredible. It infects you with enthusiasm and reverence for the event. When you touch the people who have just crossed the line some of what they are experiencing rubs off on you- and it is intoxicating.

In a small way it is like finishing Ironman a thousand times in a day. It's moving. The people you are in contact with have just acheived a goal they have struggled for over a period of months or even years- and you are there for that moment.

It's like pinning wings on a new paratrooper, handing someone a diploma or giving a new officer their first salute. It's a significant moment in someone's life- and you're there. If Ironman charged $500 to volunteer at the finish it would be worth the price.

Shhhhhh...don't give them any ideas! Money mouth

Running Q

2012-03-13 9:17 PM

User image

Louisville, Ky.
I volunteered at IMKY last year at bodymarking. As a new triathlete, it was amazing to see all the different types of people that were racing that day. Every shape, size, age- it was incredible! The energy was insane- I tried really hard to make everybody that i marked feel positive and excited about their day. The whole experience really left me in awe. The cons of this job were definitely getting up super early, but then you are done really early, so you can watch the race.

I am already planning on volunteering for this years IMKY and I am hoping to do a different position just to get a different experience. I'd love to be out on the course to see everyone in action!
2012-03-13 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I volunteered for IMCanada 2011 in Registration, Bike Lot and an AID station.  All were fun.  The AID station was most emotional/inspirational.

I can't wait to volunteer again this year - definitely I want to do the bike lot again and maybe I can be at the finish line as well - but that might be dangerous and I'll find myself at the registration line the next morning.

When our time is finished we stay as spectators to encourage the last runners. 

2012-03-13 9:52 PM

User image

Illinois
Hi,
I have worked Swim Support and Finish Line Catcher at IMFL . I have worked T1 Bags and Finish Line catcher at IMKY.

Catcher is definitely the most fun and Swim support the hardest. But any job would be a great time !

2012-03-13 10:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I've done quite a few volunteer positions in IM:

Body marking: up early, feel the vibe and excitement of the athletes, relative short volunteer post, medium amount of interaction with the athletes

Swim: short jobs about 2.5 hours

Glass table before race: Located right as athletes enter corral for swim start; take glasses label them in ziplock bags with athletes name and number. Less interaction other than few athletes who drop off glasses and some diabetic pumps

Water for swim loop 1: Chaos, great location to spectate, the energy athletes

Wetsuit stripper: Excited to do this job but had some annoying overbearing other volunteers who wanted to strip everyone. You will get pee on your hands, clothes, feet and such. Great location to spectate but easy to miss your friends who are racing as everyone looks similar in wetsuit

T1

Change Tent: Chaos, at IMFL inside building so conditions are better than tent, make a big difference in athletes day, fun to encourage, lots of bending, kneeling, and hectic with main group comes out of the water. Have good knees, being calm and collected helps. Talkative and encouraging is great trait to have. Some volunteers wear knee pads. Very rewarding and one of my favorite volunteer positions

T2

Change Tent: Less chaos than T1, better able to see your athlete friends, can make a huge difference in athletes day specially those struggling. Since I had done a couple IMs those women who were discouraged and wanting to stop, they'd call me over to talk to.  I remember seeing some women both T1 and T2 and could remember something we had chatted about in T1. I saw lots of naked women. Helping folks make decisions about what to bring, if they need different clothes, helping them speed transitions helps their day. My second favorite job to do.

Run:

Aid station: My kids and husband volunteered at IM Canada and had a blast. They helped at an aid station that same folks had been doing since first IM Canada. Big party for the volunteers. My kids did lots of different jobs and loved reading bibs and encouraging folks based on information they got off bibs....name or country or what ever. Canada is out and back so they'd see some folks 2x. They absolutely loved this job and liked it much better than finish medal or t shirts at finish line they have done.

Finish Line

Behind the scenes look at the amazing finish line IM puts on...it's the big deal. This is the position that will jazz you up and make you want to do an IM.

Catching: We like catching in the middle and late time slots. The vast experience and differences of how athletes react to finishing is inspiring, humorous and a peak into what makes endurance athletes tick. Knowing lots of folks racing makes it even more fun. I think in 2006 and 2008 IMFL I knew probably 30 people I was able to catch. I'd cut in line (as did everyone) if they saw someone they knew to be up next to catch them.  You get to help them when they finish, hear a bit about their day if they want to share, celebrate with them, wipe up their tears, help them get to medical if needed.

Finisher medals, hats or chip removal: My kids & husband have done all these at IM finish. Chip removal...pee covered timing chips, not my idea of fun. Important jobs just a lot less interaction with the athletes. My family preferred doing aid station on run.

Hope this helps....what job to volunteer for depends on you and what plans you have during the day.

My family likes to go out on the bike course so volunteers early for swim and again later for run or finish line. If I am spectator and volunteer I like to work in T1 change tent, go shower, go out on the bike course to cheer way out at the out and back at IMFL, head back to condo or straight to T2 change tent, then do last shift on Finish line as a catcher.

2012-03-13 10:31 PM

Colorado
I volunteered at IMAZ doing T1 bags.  It was awesome.  We had to organize all the bags on Saturday and then helped out everyone on race morning find their bags if they needed to add/delete from them.  We were done fast and able to watch the swim start.  I was in charge of T1 bags 0-50 so i handed out all the pro bags.  So cool.  I was done by mid afternoon so I also watched the first hour of finishers and then came back later to watch more.  I went to registration in the morning at 6am and the line was LONG.  Get there early.  You will spend hours in line if you don't.  It was cold too, so prepare for the weather in case it is a long wait.
2012-03-13 11:00 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Change tent.  Hands down.

You get to be a HUGE part of SO many athletes' day.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be amazed.

And you get one HECK of a workout.  That's a LOT of lunges, squatting, standing up, kneeling down, running back and forth.

I wore compression socks and kneepads last year.  Seriously.

2012-03-14 1:20 AM
in reply to: #4095081

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

TRICLOPICUS - 2012-03-13 6:19 PM Late shift catcher at the finishline. You never know who you might bump into (and basically hang out with all night):

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Also you get to see the inspirational stories and the people who finish right near the cut off. With the music and the crowds going crazy, it's like a big party!

That is awesome!! Here's my "blurry picture at the finish line"...(yours is better quality. LOL!)

Because you probably can't tell who this is, (the risk you take when someone who doesn't know how to use your phone camera takes the picture.) It's Linsey Corbin & Meredith Kessler...And you're right, it is like a big party!

Edited by JasenGuy 2012-03-14 1:23 AM
2012-03-14 4:57 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
I don't think there was anything wrong with our cameras. I seem to recall the IM finish line was, in reality, a bit blurry! LOL

2012-03-14 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was a finish line catcher for the last shift at IMWI and it was awesome!!!  I just think that being there at the end and being able to be in the moment with the individuals who are finishing in the last hours is incredible. 

You do need to be able to evaluate people as they come across the line to ensure they are truly "ok".  Last year at IMWI I had to take 6 people to the med tent for IVs or observation.  Sometimes what they tell you, "I'm fine", and the truth are not the same.    

Overall however how can you beat the fact that you are the first ones they get to celebrate with?  I will be catching again this year and I have been looking forward to it since the race ended last year. 

2012-03-14 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Missouri
I did my first HIM last year... my girlfriend's mom was there for support and cheering us on. She said the best position is the body markings and sunblock because she gets to touch all the musclely guys lol

Aside from that, I think the finish line is always the best place to help out giving water bottles, etc.
2012-03-14 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dothan
I signed up for swim exit, first shift. I am exicited! Thank you for all the input!
2012-03-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4095746

User image

Expert

I did the swim exit last year at IMKY.

Going to do T2 changing tent this year..

Question....I am working the changing tent for the last shift from 330-630.  I am hoping that I am able to help my dad when he comes in to the tent and help/give me a little pep talk/let him see a familiar face.  He should be coming in around 5 or so.  By then I would assume that the rush is over, but my question is how hard will it be for me to be the one that gets to help him, assuming I am not already with another athlete?  Are other volunteers pretty understanding in that situation??

Edited by RushTogether 2012-03-14 9:18 AM
2012-03-14 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4095787

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
RushTogether - 2012-03-14 9:14 AM

Question....I am working the changing tent for the last shift from 330-630.  I am hoping that I am able to help my dad when he comes in to the tent and help/give me a little pep talk/let him see a familiar face.  He should be coming in around 5 or so.  By then I would assume that the rush is over, but my question is how hard will it be for me to be the one that gets to help him, assuming I am not already with another athlete?  Are other volunteers pretty understanding in that situation??

I think you'll be able to get to him no problem. Just keep an eye out in the time frame you think he'll be coming and let other volunteers know. In my experience other volunteers are very understanding, and lots of them are in the same situation.

In my T2 at Wisconsin I was past the rush, and there was a line of volunteers waiting for the next female. One of my friends who was volunteering saw me and yelled "STAND BACK! THIS ONE IS MINE!" it was hilarious and I was so glad she was there looking for me

It's also happened to me as a volunteer... a few ladies had daughters or sisters participating and told everyone when the time came close they might snag someone away (and they did from me) - totally understandable. 

2012-03-14 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4095787

User image

Champion
MA
RushTogether - 2012-03-14 10:14 AM

It was easy for me to do when I volunteered and when I was an athlete Jen above helped me both in T1 and T2. If she was with someone else she had another volunteer help that athlete moved over to help me.

Having a friendly face and encouraging words there for you in T1 or T2 is a huge mental boost.

2012-03-14 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Women's changing tent

2012-03-14 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

My mom, sister, brother in law, and husband ended up as bike catchers at IMCOZ.

My mom took my bike and I said, NO NO, YOU CAN'T TOUCH MY BIKE, IT'S A DQ !!

I was a little out of it

2012-03-14 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
I was a bike handler at '10 IMFL, and it was awesome.  Busy early, then a big lull to kick around, then busy again before bike cutoff, then I was able to go out on the run course and see my friends race their marathons.  Still cherish my green shirt!
2012-03-14 12:45 PM

New user
Virginia

I have never signed up for an actual Ironman event but from reading these posts, Are you saying the registration is filled up and closed before you are able to register online?  

2012-03-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4096136

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
epcopres - 2012-03-14 12:45 PM

I have never signed up for an actual Ironman event but from reading these posts, Are you saying the registration is filled up and closed before you are able to register online?  

Volunteers get first crack at registration the morning after the race.
At noon, any remaining slots are opened up online.

Races usually (always?) go online, but it takes anywhere from 15 minutes to months for those slots to get filled. Just depends on the race and the year. 

2012-03-14 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Are the people volunteering for these races pretty much local to the event?  Let's say you want to do IMFL or IMAZ and you live many states away.  Are there people who are scheduling trips to these locations simply to volunteer and register?  That seems like a bit of overkill, but maybe not.

IMFL is probably the closest to where I live.  I suppose I could make a weekend trip out of it to volunteer, but maybe I'll take my chances online when the time comes.

2012-03-14 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4096201

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
michael_runs - 2012-03-14 1:18 PM

Are the people volunteering for these races pretty much local to the event?  Let's say you want to do IMFL or IMAZ and you live many states away.  Are there people who are scheduling trips to these locations simply to volunteer and register?  That seems like a bit of overkill, but maybe not.

IMFL is probably the closest to where I live.  I suppose I could make a weekend trip out of it to volunteer, but maybe I'll take my chances online when the time comes.

As Lisa mentioned, it very much depends on the event. FL and AZ are a couple of the fastest sell-outs. I volunteered at IM Canada last year to make sure I'm in this year, but it didn't sell out immediately--took a few days I think. Still well worth it.

So yes, you'd be taking a chance if you wait for it to go online, especially for those two.

2012-03-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4096201

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
michael_runs - 2012-03-14 1:18 PM

I've traveled to Madison for IMWI volunteering twice, from Kansas. One year was just to support friends, and one year was to sign up for the following years race. Most of the volunteers I've met were in the same situation, from all over the country and traveled. 

Like others have said, it's the only guaranteed way to get in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the best volunteer position at Ironman? Rss Feed  

of 3