General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow swim pace (2:00/100) and IM preparedness/safety Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-05-16 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Slow swim pace (2:00/100) and IM preparedness/safety
So for the past week or so there has been a discussion on another popular tri forum (rhymes with growtwitch) that has gotten pretty heated. The main argument is as follows:

Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think they are prepared to safely swim a 2.4 mile open water swim where conditions cannot be controlled? Why? Hubris?...I mean its bad enough most do not feel comfortable without a wetsuit. This is supposed do be an ultra endurance event.

So after reading the hundreds of responses there, I thought I would see what BT has to say. How do you feel about slow swims and preparedness for an IM mass start, where unexpected racing conditions could possibly cause a safety issue for slower swimmers and those around them. Do you think that there is a relation between slow swimming and "poor" swimming (for instance, not being able to swim in the brutal IMSG conditions seen last weekend)?

To a degree, the argument makes sense. I think that you should look very closely and harshly at your own ability before racing an IM. Fully assess your athletic ability before jumping in heads first at a difficult endurance event. If you are swimming a 2:00/100 or struggling to finish a full IM swim in practice, you might want to re-think racing until a future date. No need to place more risk in an event that is risky enough as it is.

2012-05-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4213091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Slow swim pace (2:00/100) and IM preparedness/safety

I think there is a significant difference between "poor" swimmer and "slow" swimmer.

I have a good friend who has done 6 IMs over the last few years.  She is regularly in the water for 1:45-2:00 but it isn't because she is struggling.  She could swim that pace all day and chooses to spend her training time focusing on b/r.

I would also note that I don't think 2:00/100 is THAT slow... but I'm not all that much faster than that so maybe I'm biased.

2012-05-16 1:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

I think the St George course this year really showed where some level of proficiency above just making it should be attempted for. Whether that's 2:00/100 or not, I don't know. It's not a bad target at least.

It's a bit simplistic to use only that in a pool swim though. As many said there (and at least 1 so far here), some slower than that are actually more safe than others faster because they have better open water experience. In less than ideal circumstances too. They can make speed in much worse conditions.

I tend to look at that more as a good example of why you train hard for the swim. It's necessary to be prepared for less than ideal conditions. Things just go wrong. What if conditions were such that people were being blown out away from shore? You have to both be to handle the conditions to stay up and be strong enough to overcome them to get yourself to shore. I don't think counting on rescue is a good idea here.

2012-05-16 1:19 PM

User image

The question

"Do you think that there is a relation between slow swimming and "poor" swimming (for instance, not being able to swim in the brutal IMSG conditions seen last weekend)?"

The answer

"it depends".  You can be a 1:15 per 100 pool swimmer and get your a$$ kicked by those conditions.  You could be a 2:00/100 open water swimmer and get through just fine.  The 2:20 cutoff actually equates to a 3:19/100 yds.  So a 2:00/100 isn't necessarily "struggling" to finish

The swim DNF numbers were high, but the huge majority of swimmers made the cutoff

Ultimately, whether you can swim a 1:15 or 2:00, this is the sentence I agree with:  "I think that you should look very closely and harshly at your own ability before racing an IM. Fully assess your athletic ability before jumping in heads first at a difficult endurance event."  If you swim in a pool only, or in a calm lake, I don't think you are necessarily qualified to swim a 1-2 mile swim off of California beaches without some experience, even if you swim fast.  Sand Hollow is well known for potential of race-canceling wind.  I know that sitting here in So Cal without ever having a desire to race there.   Wonder how many people actually bothered to figure that out before signing up for St G? 

It's like scuba.  You have 100 dives in the calm 80 placid Caribbean and are proficient.  You are not ready for a 50 degree beach dive through surf in California.

Speed is not the only metric.  It's one of many

Edited by ChrisM 2012-05-16 1:22 PM
2012-05-16 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I followed that discussion on ST but soon tired of the elitist jerks on ST.  I agree that safety is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed and that a lot of swimmers, sprint thru IM, come completely unprepared.  But the idea that a specific time like 2:00 per hundred is some kind of magical number is rubbish IMO, when everyone knows that it's 1:47.463/ 100.  :0)

Edited by bhc 2012-05-16 1:36 PM
2012-05-16 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4213279

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
bhc - 2012-05-16 2:35 PM

I followed that discussion on ST but soon tired of the elitist jerks on ST.  I agree that safety is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed and that a lot of swimmers, sprint thru IM, come completely unprepared.  But the idea that a specific time like 2:00 per hundred is some kind of magical number is rubbish IMO, when everyone knows that it's 1:47.463/ 100.  :0)

I do think it is silly to place an arbitrary number on something with so many variables that play in on raceday. I think the original poster was basically trying to say that if you are a slow swimmer in good conditions (a 25m pool, for example) you might want to rethink racing a 2.4mile ocean swim, otherwise you place yourself and others around you at risk. While I don't think that ST guys are 'elitist jerks', it is a place for different and more critical discussions than the BT 'feel-good' fest here

2012-05-16 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

IMHO - Typical elitist BS from ST.

Now change that the title to 3:00/100 and Ironman you may have a valid argument as that gets close to the IM cutoff.  2:00/100 doesn't make you a bad or unsafe swimmer, it makes you a slow swimmer. 

2012-05-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4213279

User image

Veteran
the Sipp

bhc - 2012-05-16 1:35 PM I followed that discussion on ST but soon tired of the elitist jerks on ST.  I agree that safety is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed and that a lot of swimmers, sprint thru IM, come completely unprepared.  But the idea that a specific time like 2:00 per hundred is some kind of magical number is rubbish IMO, when everyone knows that it's 1:47.463/ 100.  :0)

x2

I got tired of the elitist BS too. IMHO, choosing your race smartly and wisely is just as important a part of your preperation as the s/b/r.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and even I know after a quick bit of research that there are some races I'm not gonna touch with a 10 ft pole right now! I've spent alot of time in the pool, sharpening my swim, and I've improved lots. I'm trying to prepare as best I can for my races but I still choose races that I'm comfortable with after doing ample research about the race.

But then that's why there are kayaks and swim support teams on the water! Wink

2012-05-16 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4213324

User image

Veteran
the Sipp

15step - 2012-05-16 1:51 PM
bhc - 2012-05-16 2:35 PM I followed that discussion on ST but soon tired of the elitist jerks on ST.  I agree that safety is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed and that a lot of swimmers, sprint thru IM, come completely unprepared.  But the idea that a specific time like 2:00 per hundred is some kind of magical number is rubbish IMO, when everyone knows that it's 1:47.463/ 100.  :0)
I do think it is silly to place an arbitrary number on something with so many variables that play in on raceday. I think the original poster was basically trying to say that if you are a slow swimmer in good conditions (a 25m pool, for example) you might want to rethink racing a 2.4mile ocean swim, otherwise you place yourself and others around you at risk. While I don't think that ST guys are 'elitist jerks', it is a place for different and more critical discussions than the BT 'feel-good' fest here

To add to that, I also think that the OP on ST was trying to DNS some poor SOB's!!!

Ha, actually, what I got out of what the OP was trying to say was that in his opinion, a 2:00/100 swimmer who thinks they're prepared for a 2.4 mile swim, is probly gonna get a rude awakening when some external environmental factors are thrown into the mix (wicked wind) and that they should work on they're swim more or do smaller/less dangerous races. (???) I don't necessarily disagree with that but I think the 2:00/100 metric was a bit elitist for him to use. Regardless of swim speed, I think a person's overall ability and comfort level in the water come more into play here than the 2:00/100 metric.

2012-05-16 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
From what I heard and read there were more than a few sub 2:00/100 swimmers plucked from IMSG.  Experience in rough conditions trumps speed in rough conditions as a matter of safety.
2012-05-16 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
By no means is this directed at Daniel. It is a valid point, you better be ready for an IM. With that said I am a 2/100 swimmer and just made it through at St George. I am also a typical 18 mph biker and wondered if I was going to make the bike in that wind. I am not a strong swimmer I am working on it. However, in my opinion for a 1.15 swimmer to tell me to stay out of a IM is like Chrissy Wellington making all the top AG males she whips dnf because they were chicked. There is always someone stronger/bigger/faster. Don't get cocky because you happen to be faster than someone else. I doubt to many 130 pound 9 hour podium folkes would be willing to call many folkes a looser outside the Internet. They won't do it to me but once. It is all relative. One day I hope to go sub 12 but May 5th was for sure not that day. But one day i will. However, I hope I am not judgmental of the one who finishes 16.59.

2012-05-16 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4213605

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-16 5:13 PM

Maple Valley

A 2:00/100 equals a 1:25 swim.  My friend swam that at CdA last year and earned a Kona slot in her 40/45 age group.  How is that slow????

2012-05-16 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4213756

kristine25 - 2012-05-16 3:13 PM

A 2:00/100 equals a 1:25 swim.  My friend swam that at CdA last year and earned a Kona slot in her 40/45 age group.  How is that slow????

For triathletes that is not slow.  For swimmers, it is.  Good thing we are triathletes 

Honestly, the ST OP could have been stated better, but he has a point.  Which is, I think, triathletes need to prepare better for the swim.  To make a very general statement, I agree.  We often see threads here about minimizing swim training, it's only X% of the race so who cares about it, more gains on bike/run training, I've been swimming a week can I do a HIM next month...  etc.  Thankfully, the consensus here agrees in general that we should not shortchange the swim.  But people do it all the time.

As someone else mentioned, using a time standard as a black/white determination is not the best way to go about it

2012-05-16 6:43 PM

Veteran

I've been a swimmer all my life, I've done 4+ hour ocean swims, I also have a shoulder I messed up in college and crawl is hard, I do breaststroke for my long duration stroke. For me it is much much more restful... I'm just slow, big waves, big wind, currents don't phase me I relax in the water and am really comfortable there, In college I used to teach lifesaving and my favorite water sport is to act as  the panicked rescue dummy this usually led to a good water wrestle as would be lifeguards with bad technique...tried to resuce me.  (Evil grin) I am however really slow I think that there are other measures other than speed related to safety... 

2012-05-16 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4213777

ChrisM - 2012-05-16 5:29 PM

For triathletes that is not slow.  For swimmers, it is.  Good thing we are triathletes 

Honestly, the ST OP could have been stated better, but he has a point.  Which is, I think, triathletes need to prepare better for the swim.  To make a very general statement, I agree.  We often see threads here about minimizing swim training, it's only X% of the race so who cares about it, more gains on bike/run training, I've been swimming a week can I do a HIM next month...  etc.  Thankfully, the consensus here agrees in general that we should not shortchange the swim.  But people do it all the time.

As someone else mentioned, using a time standard as a black/white determination is not the best way to go about it

Well put.  I'm in the 2:00/100 range for OWS and a bit faster in the pool....but really wanted to post on ST, "Whew! I'm glad I can swim 1:59/100!"  Wink

I do think people who are going to do a tri need to really know how to swim. Not necessarily fast, but be comfortable with the water.  I hate that one of our local women's tris has gone to where noodles are allowed. If you can't do the distance, you shouldn't be out there at all.   And I don't like to see those who think they need to jump straight into Ironman or a half with little to no previous races.  Race experience is important, not just for the swim.  But people want it all right now these days.

2012-05-17 7:34 AM

Expert
Roswell, GA
I think that was supposed to be the entire point of the original post on ST: that you need to be fully prepared for every aspect of the IM. Swimming is something quite often overlooked by triathletes due to either time constraints or logistical issues (no nearby pools). We want to throw down on the bike or run but often want to put off swim training thinking "oh I will make it through". In the end, when you disregard a facet of a 3 art event, you are going to have a bad time. I think we can all agree that we do not want people pulled out of the water after a year of IM training, or people dying in the event, even avoiding things like the 'swim noodle girl' at the NYC OLY (look it up).

You can play games all day with numbers and semantics, exact figures and data, but in the end it all comes down to a very simple question: are you truly ready to handle everything the day can throw at you? If you hesitate in answering, you might not be ready. We tend to be cocky type-A folks that rarely look honestly at our own ability. There is nothing wrong with assessing your ability honestly and saying you are not ready. Bottom line: go into a race fully prepared to handle anything the day can throw at you.
2012-05-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4213777

Champion
Northridge, California
ChrisM - 2012-05-16 3:29 PM

In fairness, though, Chris, as a couple posters have already implied, it's very easy to waste a lot of time in the pool as a triathlete.  I've made this point many times over the last few years, but the fact is a lot of triathletes just kind of fall into a routine of masters class training that is really designed to optimize competitive pool swimming and don't do enough OWS and endurance swimming.  And I think that's precisely the sort of preparation that is really relevant to the issue at hand here:  Capabilities in the OW over long distance and in adverse conditions.

Where I think everyone's in agreement is that the whole "2:00/100" thing is a red herring.  The issue is having a sound understanding of your preparation.  Frankly, I don't think there are any more underprepared IM swimmers than there are completely undertrained runners.  The difference being, of course, that when the swim goes south, you get pulled.  When you can't run 26.2 miles, you just walk, so the fact of undertraining on the swim is more exposed in a more dramatic (and dangerous) manner on race day. 

2012-05-17 1:19 PM

WTF?

I swim around 1:50-2:00/100 in races. I can also swim 2:00/100 for hours on end, literally. Rough water, whatever. I don't mind swimming without a wetsuit either. I'm perfectly comfortable in the washing machine and can hold my own in the full contact portion of the swim.

One of the reasons I rarely read that board is this kind of horsehockey. The same people who decide no one who does an IM in more than (9, 10, 11, whatever the poster did it in) should not be considered a finisher.

Y'know, one of the things I really get confused about is how in the heck someone can have such a petty life that making fun of people slower than them is the only thing that makes them feel worthwhile. Never got that.

Perhaps one should pay closer attention to their own race and let others do the same.

2012-05-17 1:35 PM

Elite
Spokane, WA

I couldn't make it through more than a few pages of the ST thread (at 19 pages today).

For me, to hold up the IMSG swim and point out that people going into IM swims unprepared is a big problem is missing the mark. From what I've read, and I believe it, is that if the winds would have started up 15-30 minutes earlier the swim would have been canceled. It's pretty understandable that the swim course DNF rate was high in what may have been the most dangerous IM swim ever. It's a testament to the fitness level and experience of the field that there were no deaths IMO.

In a more normal IM swim, if there is such a thing ,I would assume the swim DNF rate is much lower and not an issue that presents a significant problem.

So really for me it boils down to something that's totally beyond my control and not worth spending a whole lot of time worrying about--whether "other people" go into the swim what "I believe" is underprepared.

Oh yeah, and I think the 2m/100 benchmark is totally arbitrary and not very useful.

Edited by zed707 2012-05-17 1:37 PM
2012-05-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4215288

Expert
Roswell, GA
tcovert - 2012-05-17 1:57 PM
Where I think everyone's in agreement is that the whole "2:00/100" thing is a red herring.  The issue is having a sound understanding of your preparation.  Frankly, I don't think there are any more underprepared IM swimmers than there are completely undertrained runners.  The difference being, of course, that when the swim goes south, you get pulled.  When you can't run 26.2 miles, you just walk, so the fact of undertraining on the swim is more exposed in a more dramatic (and dangerous) manner on race day. 

You got it. Its not just with swimming in an IM, its everything. Only issue with swimming is that you cant really "stop" to rest during the mass swim OWS frenzy.

2012-05-17 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4215332

Expert
Roswell, GA
DanielG - 2012-05-17 2:19 PM

WTF?

I swim around 1:50-2:00/100 in races. I can also swim 2:00/100 for hours on end, literally. Rough water, whatever. I don't mind swimming without a wetsuit either. I'm perfectly comfortable in the washing machine and can hold my own in the full contact portion of the swim.

One of the reasons I rarely read that board is this kind of horsehockey. The same people who decide no one who does an IM in more than (9, 10, 11, whatever the poster did it in) should not be considered a finisher.

Y'know, one of the things I really get confused about is how in the heck someone can have such a petty life that making fun of people slower than them is the only thing that makes them feel worthwhile. Never got that.

Perhaps one should pay closer attention to their own race and let others do the same.

No need to get feelings hurt. I was simply trying to get different viewpoints on a rather controversial topic on a different forum, where I was not the OP let alone a poster at all. Like I said, I think the original concern is that one should be prepared for the worst in a IM and they were using slow swim times as a (rather poor) unit of measurement.
2012-05-17 1:55 PM

Elite
Alturas, California
I am a 2:00/100 swimmer, 3:40 IM mary.  I am not an unsafe swimmer.  I have done 3 IM's and have a 4th this year.  I have done the mass start at CDA, etc.  My last IM was 11:40:18, not uber, but respectable, certainly not an unsafe pace because I am so slow.  But I am not putting myself at the front of the swim pack either. There is a significant diference between not having access to swim coaching and not being in shape enough to swim 2 or 3 miles.  If folks don't want to be in races with average level triathletes then go join the Olympic team and only race with really fast folks.  Everyone who pays the $$ and can safely finish the distance belongs.   
2012-05-17 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4215446

Veteran
Iowa

I'm guessing the IM races wouldn't be so popular without the "slower" folks, like myself.  I'm guessing the $600 race fees wouldn't exist without us or the packed finishing chute at midnight.  I swam 1:20 in IMWI last year and was probably in the top 30% to 40%, so 2/3 of the racers are slow and should re-evaluate whether or not they belong there??  Good logic!!

Apparently you have never set any goals for yourself that may or may not be attainable.  As an athlete, father, coach, and member of society, I could never bring myself to tell someone who doesn't belong.  As long as they have the guts to try, that is what is important to me.  Kona wouldn't even be televised if it weren't for the special interest stories.  How do you tell that person who finished IMWI last year at 17:01 that she doesn't belong there.....not me.....I'm guessing she got more cheers at the finish line than you did.

2012-05-17 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4215444

15step - 2012-05-17 2:55 PM

DanielG - 2012-05-17 2:19 PM

WTF?

No need to get feelings hurt. I was simply trying to get different viewpoints on a rather controversial topic on a different forum, where I was not the OP let alone a poster at all. Like I said, I think the original concern is that one should be prepared for the worst in a IM and they were using slow swim times as a (rather poor) unit of measurement.

I'm a divorced, combat vet. You would have to work a hell of a lot harder than that to hurt my feelings

My comment was not directed at you, I caught that it was on snobs-r-us and I was responding as I would over there.

Again, there are reasons I don't spend much time over there. Threads like this is one of them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow swim pace (2:00/100) and IM preparedness/safety Rss Feed  

of 3