General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake International Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerr Lake International Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Henderson, North Carolina
United States
Set-up
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a local race, about a one-hour drive. So, we had to get up early. I stuffed in a half-bagel (burnt) with peanut butter, and continued to hydrate ... after a long night of peeing every hour, I was pretty hydrated the day before, but thought I would continue to drink up! I packed the car the night before, so we were pretty ready to go. I fed the dog, walked him, and we were out the door.
Event warmup:

We got to the race site about 1.25 hours before the start. Got checked in and marked, then checked out the swim course from the shore. I didn't get much of any warm-up in because it just didn't seem to happen. However, after the pre-race meeting I jumped off the roof of the club house and into my wetsuit (yep, that's what it takes to squeeze me into that device). We walked down to the water, and I waded in to warm up ... and just as I got in, the loud speaker said "everyone out of the water for check-in!" We had to walk through a timing-chip-check-in device before getting into the water for the race. So, I dove quickly into the water and swam about 75 to 100 meters of warm-up. Basically, no warm-up.
Swim
  • 25m 55s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

After freaking a bit on my first OWS at White Lake, my plan was to hang back after the starting horn and let the sprinters take off. I wanted to get comfortable in open-water, and get in that "bubble" of chill. Mike (HookedOnTri) did the same thing, so both of us started off together. However, we swam right into a shallow place, tossing red mud all over the place. After trying to swim out of it, we decided it was better just to stand up and walk over to the deeper water. So, the first leg was probably about 250 meters, and I just took it slow and got into my stride. As I made the first turn, I glanced around and decided to kick into my stroke. The markers were on my left, and that is my default breathing side, so that worked well. I was sighting every 5-10 strokes, and just trying to get into a good pace. I was able to do this pretty quickly, and was clipping along. I started over-taking some in front of me, and felt just fine bumping and passing. I also got passed some, and was able to shift into their wake for some good drafting opportunities. Once I made the second turn towards home, the chop started kicking up. It was a combination of a breeze, and also the concentration of swimmers about 200m ahead of me as they finished. However, I was in such a zone by that point, I was not knocked out of my stride by chop.
What would you do differently?:

I was so relaxed that I was actually enjoying the swim, and the water, and actually racing ... I was able to look around when I breathed, and was able to make passes and drafting decisions. I also started thinking about the bike course, so I was very relaxed. I would not change anything about this swim, but I am comfortable in race OWS now, and will probably not hang back at the start next time.
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

The run into T1 was uphill, through some woods ... so I cut my toe, got a splinter, and was basically tired from the swim. So, it took me a little while to shuffle up there. I decided to pull cycling shorts over my tri shorts, however, I did not remember to do so until AFTER I unracked my bike. So I re-racked, and pulled them on (glad I did). That was frustrating, especially since the "bike shorts issue" came into play again in T2.

I would rip my wetsuit more aggressively, and actually remember my "strategy" of pulling on bike shorts. I need to work on T's, obviously, but I really want to get better at the sports first, and then I'll worry about T times.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 14s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little frustrated by this course ... I was planning on really putting it all out there on the bike, but within the first couple miles I felt sloooooow. At about mile 3-4, I started to feel better, and then was passed by Edde (ellasdad) and Debbie (DB8). I thought I would be able to keep them in my sights, but could not. That was a little bit of a bummer. Little did I know, I would not pass anyone until about mile 12-14. The hills and roughness of the road beat me up more than I thought they would. I finally caught my breath, and was able to start tapping out cadence. I was even more comfortable in aero, and loved that. My hamstring, on up to my butt, started hurting and spread up to my butt and lower back. No good. I was bumming about that when I came up on a guy hanging out on the side of the road peeing, and surveying the scenery. I thought "there are bushes right there, yet he has elected to whip it out in front of everyone and go for it ... good for him!" About 1 minute later I hear someone chatting me up as they rode up behind me ... it was HookedOnTri. I said "hey, where did you come from ... thought you were in front of me?" He said "well, I stopped to pee!" "That was you?" "Yeah, I had to go!" Cool ... so it was my friend who was peeing so freely! That was a good chuckle at exactly the right time ... my leg, butt and back were really hurting, and he cheered me up. We rode together until about the last mile, having a great chat and enjoying the ride. That really brought me back to enjoying the race, instead of suffering the pain, and I thank Mike for that timely pee-stop and the good conversation!

I felt really strong by the time I came up on the 20 mile mark. However, I need to ride more often, for longer training distances in order to get faster.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I came into T2 feeling pretty strong, and pretty positive about the run. I got the bike racked, and put the running gear on pretty quickly. I took off through the TA for the run-start, and noticed ... yep ... my biking shorts were still on. Damn it all! I jogged back to my TA and ripped them off over my running shoes.

Remember to take my cycling shorts off before heading out on the run.
Run
  • 1h 16m 14s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

After finally getting my cycling shorts off, I felt pretty good. I actually headed out of T2 thinking I was going to have a great run! Shannon was there cheering me out, Mike (HookedOnTri) was just in front of me, and I was feeling good. We left the shade of the park and headed out onto the public two-lane, and then the sun hit me. I got hot pretty fast, and had to walk. That's when the hamstring really made itself known. Ouch. I went ahead and took an early walk break, but it did not help relieve the pain. Finally I started running again, and was planning my typical 3:1 ratio. It just was not to be. I was overheated and thirsty, but could not drink because my stomach was sloshing and full. The run just crashed before my eyes, and got worse and worse. I reduced it to a 1:1 ratio to try and get (a) my heart rate down; and (b) the water in my stomach to absorb. The Garmin was telling me I was running in the 9's ... when I was running. I could never get my run back, and just flat-out suffered through this one. I never felt good, so I told Shannon at the turn that I would not be anywhere near my goal, but would finish. My race goal was 3:10-ish, which I did end up hitting.

I have to solve my hydration and nutrition strategy. I tried to drink more on the bike early-on, so it would be absorbed by the run. However, it was still all up in my stomach. Debbie (DB8) suggested that it may have just been nerves, because it was my first Oly and I was all keyed up. This makes sense, because I had the same issue on my very first tri last September, but never had it again until this Oly. It must be a "first race" thing ... so maybe it will solve itself.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line to the cheers of Shannon and Debbie, and then found the first patch of shade I could find. My feet were about to explode, due to the pain caused in my flat feet from the uneven road surface ... and my hammy was about to release, and spring my leg into a 90-degree angle! Shannon asked Debbie "where is Christian?" Debbie pointed to the heap that was me, and said in a hushed tone "ooooh, there he is ..."

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fat.

Event comments:

This is a great race in a great location, sponsored by some very friendly, warm people. The TA/start-finish is based in a nice lake-side park way out in the country. It's a great place for family and friends to relax while waiting on us to return from bike and run legs. The volunteers give race proceeds to the American Cancer Society, and are so nice. The crowd support was nice, with a lot of cheering from locals. Along the bike course, specifically at police-guarded intersections the volunteers cheered us on. During the run, there were many friendly aid-station workers who cheered us along the course. The State Highway Patrol was there in force, and did a great job. It is a small race, which is nice. I recommend it to anyone wanting an NC Oly.

Last updated: 2006-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:55 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: The course was an upside down triangle, so we swam out at an angle from the beach, to our right. Then made a 110-degree turn to the left for a long base leg. A second 110-degree turn to the left brought us toward the swim finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:20:14 | 24 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Race officials called the course "flat." It was not. Over-all, it was a nice flat-to-rolling course, but there were a couple nice sized hills that slowed me to 10 mph. The roughness of the road was irritating sometimes as well, but I never hit one of the many potholes!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:16:14 | 06.2 miles | 12m 18s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: This course was along roads which were open to traffic, and also partially on a sloped gravel road. The road was sloped/crowned and had very little shade. The organizers had plenty of aid stations with water and Gatorade ... that was great.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: % -2.4
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 6:12 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Kerr Lake International Distance Triathlon

2006-06-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: #444072

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Kerr Lake International Distance Triathlon
You did great!  I am so proud of you!!!
2006-06-05 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Kick *** race!  Especially for your first Oly!  This is only the beginning!
2006-06-05 8:25 PM
in reply to: #444125

User image

Expert
WA

christian, your comment on what limited your ability to perform faster just totally cracked me up!!  i think you had a great race, and my opinion is the most important one.  so there!

haha, anyway, great job!  i had a burger for dinner today.  wooot!

2006-06-05 9:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Whoo hooo Christian! YOU DID AWESOME! You really did come right in on goal, and I know that the run was painful, but you muscled through it--adapted where and when necessary to make sure you finished the thing! Before you know it, you'll be a oly-distance regular, and Shannon is gonna be hearing, "Honey, which HIM/IM do you think I should do first?!"
2006-06-05 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Dude, great race.  You absolutely destroyed that swim.  Don't worry, you'll get the nutrition thing down.  Way to rock the Oly.

2006-06-06 12:38 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

I am SO happy for you on the OWS!!!  Way to kick that issue right to the curb!  (And I think I have to disagree w/your "what limited your ability to go faster" comment - I *have* seen you in person, you know.)

Outstanding job - hope the hamstring has stopped yelling at you. 

2006-06-06 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME...what a great swim and bike and hey keep at it the run will come...putting all 3 events is not as easy as it sounds that is for sure....and I understand your limiting factor completely...keep working buddy and soon they will call you Adonis
2006-06-06 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Absolutely kick-a** race man, that is excellent!!! I enjoyed reading your race report and all the details!! It must feel awesome to conquer a new distance! And I'm so glad you had a great time with the OW swim this time, that is one less thing you have to worry about for next time!
2006-06-06 10:24 AM

User image

Buttercup

Great job!!! I enjoyed your race report although reading about your hamstring pain shooting up your butt and back was making me cringe. Way to persevere, Christian!

You made your goal, too!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-06-06 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

AWESOME race Christian!! Way to hang in there on the run and finish. When you figure out the nutrition and hydration factor, please tell me!

Great RR and hope to see you soon at Triangle! Rock On!

2006-06-06 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Damn! Nice race!!! Glad to see you push through and hit your goal!!!!
2006-06-15 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

hey christian -

awesome job!! congrats on hitting the goal!!

incredible swim - OMG, that's awesome. so glad to  see you got settled in, esp with the chop and all that. that's awesome.

LOL - love the bike shorts issues...

way to push thru the tough run - nice job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake International Distance Triathlon Rss Feed