General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lost my Garmin in T1, and threw down my best race yet. Racing with your Garmin? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-29 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Lost my Garmin in T1, and threw down my best race yet. Racing with your Garmin?

During my race today, in T1, somehow pulling my towel off my bike I ended up flinging my Garmin halfway across transition. (Thankfully someone turned it in to lost and found and I got it back.) I wasn't about to stop to look for it so I took off on the bike and then the run without it. I ended up holding pace pretty well on the bike, almost matching my best speed for this course, and taking 10 seconds off my 5K time.

This got me thinking -- how many of you train with your Garmin but choose to race without it? I'm only doing sprints for now, so I don't really *need* to pace myself. On both the bike and the run today I felt like I was going sustainably hard, and it turns out I was right where I would have kept myself had I had my Garmin, anyway.

Thoughts?

2012-07-29 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4336515

Subject: RE: Lost my Garmin in T1, and threw down my best race yet. Racing with your Garmin?

Congrats on the race.

I have thought about not bringing it.  It is fun to have the data, and it's necessary if you have a detailed plan you are following, but it always seems to take significantly longer in transition putting on the watch (I have the non-waterproof 305) and especially the hear rate monitor.

Edited by north_north_west 2012-07-29 9:11 PM
2012-07-29 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4336530

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Subject: RE: Lost my Garmin in T1, and threw down my best race yet. Racing with your Garmin?
north_north_west - 2012-07-29 9:11 PM

Congrats on the race.

I have thought about not bringing it.  It is fun to have the data, and it's necessary if you have a detailed plan you are following, but it always seems to take significantly longer in transition putting on the watch (I have the non-waterproof 305) and especially the hear rate monitor.

I have worn the 305 in 3 races, all ocean OWS, and it's done fine. It is not waterproof, but IS water resistant up to a meter or so. Mine has fared well. No damage. Olymissue was wearing with long sleeve wetsuit. Took a sec to get it off with watch on. I like wearing though.
2012-07-29 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Just this morning I did a half marathon and finally beat a 4-year-old PR -- and I'm convinced it's because I ignored my Garmin. I was wearing it, but the first three miles were so chaotic (I got stuck in the wrong wave and was doing a lot of weaving) that I decided to not pay attention to my pace or time and run by effort alone. Apparently it worked. I think I'll still wear my Garmin for races but I might take advice I've read here and cover the face of it with tape or something. I guess there's something to be said for trusting your training and your body...

2012-07-29 10:14 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas

I've only done one sprint tri, and another this coming weekend, but could you just get a Garmin holder for your bike? That is what I did - I started it on Multi-Sport and got it ready for the bike portion. When I came out of the swim to the bike it was ready to go - I didn't have to take it off until I racked my bike for T2 and took off on the run. Something to think about anyway...

The other option is if you're chipped, you can enter all your stats into the Garmin website after the race. 

2012-07-30 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I use my 305 for training and raceing always, but this is because of prior health issues( heart surgury), for me I need to monitor HR closely. I have the bike mount & the snap in wrist strap combo, I put the HR Monitor on before the swim, I turn  the garmin on and have it in T1 ready to go, snap it into the holder on the bike and off I go pop it out and onto the wrist strap in T2 and off on the run, yes it does take some time and if I didn't need it I think I would go with out it , but I do so it's not really an option for me, for me it's reassurance that I am not going to push myself  to hard . If  I had a 310 or 910 I  would be using it on the swim as well, but I imaging it would be kinda hard to monitor HR on the swim anyways, so it 's not a biggie, when the time does come to replace it I will upgrade for sure.

2012-07-30 8:51 AM

User image

over a barrier
During a sprint, only have a power tap recording power data, otherwise I don't use a watch or GPS.

Waste of time and worry.
2012-07-30 8:57 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
For races I'll have my Garmin on to collect data that I will look at afterwards, but during the race I'll keep it on a super basic screen with time of day and distance.  I do the same thing for mountain biking.  I want the data for later, but I don't want to worry about it during the race.
2012-07-30 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Using a running/cycling computer can be a two-edge sword... it's very easy to become a "slave" to the numbers and that becomes the limiter.... rather than taking advantage of a good day (and a possible PR), the computer says that you need to slow down, so you do.

On the other hand, it's also a good tool to give you an indication if you are indeed going out too hard (which is VERY easy to do in a race when adrenalin is pumping)... with experience, most can learn how to balance the input of the data with the feel of the body for that day. Some simply can't... Thomas Voekler (a very famous French cyclist) simply can't race with a computer, he used to, but stop once he realized that he was too focused on the numbers and that became a limiting factor.
2012-07-30 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4336934

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

audiojan - 2012-07-30 10:14 AM Using a running/cycling computer can be a two-edge sword... it's very easy to become a "slave" to the numbers and that becomes the limiter.... rather than taking advantage of a good day (and a possible PR), the computer says that you need to slow down, so you do. On the other hand, it's also a good tool to give you an indication if you are indeed going out too hard (which is VERY easy to do in a race when adrenalin is pumping)... with experience, most can learn how to balance the input of the data with the feel of the body for that day. Some simply can't... Thomas Voekler (a very famous French cyclist) simply can't race with a computer, he used to, but stop once he realized that he was too focused on the numbers and that became a limiting factor.

This is exactly my thought process. I love to have the data, or to know when to push it (OK, only a half mile left, GO!). Also, to let me know if I am going too fast -- coming off the bike when I'm not really feeling my legs, it's easy for me to get going with sub-8 min/miles, which I KNOW I can't sustain for a 5K (yet).

I liked the suggestion upthread of just having time and distance -- maybe I will set a screen to something like that for my next race and see if it makes a difference.

I'd be lying if a tiny part of me wasn't hoping my 305 wouldn't turn up at all, so I'd be "forced" to by the 910XT, hee hee.

2012-07-30 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I'm kind of what you call a "zen" runner in that I don't even have a Garmin. I do have a plain old wrist watch with a stopwatch function that I use to keep track of how long I've been running but for a long time distance didn't really matter. Now that I'm training for my first tri I pay closer attention to distance to make sure that I'm on track but I just try not to take things too seriously. I used to be a 10min/mi person then after a 2 year hiatus dropped to 15min huffing and puffing the whole way. That was in March. Today I forgot my watch so used the Map My Run app on my phone but couldn't look at it while I was running very easily. Today I ran a mile in 11:55! I know most of you can do that in your sleep but it's a HUGE DEAL for me! And I honestly think it's because I couldn't see my time or pace or distance. I just ran along and thought about whatever popped into my head. That is my fastest mile since 2010 and it came AFTER I'd swam and biked already that day. I agree that a Garmin/Computer can certainly be a double edged sword. Great Job!

2012-07-30 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

I had a similar experience this weekend. Heading out of T1 I hit stop instead of Lap on my 910 so had no data after that. This was my first race with the 910, and I actually thought I might screw it up, so I had my trusty basic Timex on my other wrist.

I like to look at it in transitions to see where I am on my time goals, but mostly I really like to see my mile splits on the run. I tend to come out of T2 way too fast, so I can see my first mile pace and adjust accordingly so I can carry a proper target pace through the end.

2012-07-30 10:53 AM

New user

I must be the opposite of the "norm" here.

I'm bad at training, I do it wrong. I go out and push myself as hard as I can every time. I know it's worse for me this way but I've destroyed everything in my head that says I can't. (I'm still paying for it today yet from my race on Saturday.)

That being said I am a 9 minute flat mile runner, Saturday in my tri I looked down at my watch and I was running an 8:23 pace. I saw that and surprised myself and thought, I can keep this up. I kept that going as long as I could and ended with an 8:44 pace and 27:22 and 46 seconds off my fastest 5k time! If I hadn't seen how fast I was going I probably would have slowed down and added a minute or more.

2012-07-30 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4337192

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I train with my 305 all the time.  Never race with it.  Just my simple Ironman HRM to keep tabs of the HR and my splits.
2012-07-30 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
My last Olympic my speed sensor got bumped on my bike and didn't pick up my speed/distance so i had to go on feel. Then I felt like i was behind on the run so i hammered it. I ended up taking 1st in the 30-34 AG.
2012-07-30 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I race without any telemetry at all except at Ironman where I use a heart monitor on the bike.

Telemetry does nothing to make you faster at shorter distances (70.3 and below). It only distracts you, reduces concentration and focus.

You only need to know one thing when you are racing: "Am I going as fast as I can right now?"

If you continually answer that question you will have a good race. The other data isn't "actionable" when you're in the fight.

I think there is this sense that people are afraid to "go to fast" and a gadget will somehow prevent that with the net result being a faster overall race. That's faulty logic with the exception of an Ironman distance race.

Whatever your device is telling you, the news is going to be bad and in a race there isn't much you can do about it if you are already at a maximal effort.

2012-07-30 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4337396

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Tom Demerly. - 2012-07-30 12:13 PM

I race without any telemetry at all except at Ironman where I use a heart monitor on the bike.

Telemetry does nothing to make you faster at shorter distances (70.3 and below). It only distracts you, reduces concentration and focus.

You only need to know one thing when you are racing: "Am I going as fast as I can right now?"

If you continually answer that question you will have a good race. The other data isn't "actionable" when you're in the fight.

I think there is this sense that people are afraid to "go to fast" and a gadget will somehow prevent that with the net result being a faster overall race. That's faulty logic with the exception of an Ironman distance race.

Whatever your device is telling you, the news is going to be bad and in a race there isn't much you can do about it if you are already at a maximal effort.

I agree with Tom.  I use my Garmin 910 for every workout because of all the data it kicks out.  I have worn it during 3 or 4 tris this year and it is kind of cool to know how fast you are rolling but I mainly watch my heart rate on the bike.  I don't really pay that much attention to it during the run portion.

I will wear it in my first 70.3 coming up in 20 days (HOLY SH~T!) but mostly so I can know how much further I have to go. 

The OWS portion of a tri does get kind of bumpy and it does concern me wearing my watch incase someone bumps the split button or worse case some how knocks it off my wrist.  That would be really irritating.

2012-07-30 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Here's one for ya.  Raced this weekend and was slightly bummed that I wasn't keeping my goal pace according to Garmin 310.  Once I crossed, I realized that Garmin claimed I ran 3 miles and not 3.1 as advertised.  Other athletes with navigation said their watches read 3.1 and the RD is usually pretty tight with his distances.  So what I thought was a 7:40 pace turned out to actually be the 7:25 for which I was hoping.

Sure makes me think twice about what I'm chasing, literally, during my speedwork.

2012-07-30 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

It looks like a common theme is that many people find it a distraction, or something as an excuse to slow down ("whoa, I'm way ahead of my planned pace).

For racing, does anyone look at it the opposite way and use it as a warning if you are going to slow? I see it almost like a HTFU meter. I know what I am capable of from training, and if I need to push the suffering, then my watch can tell me.

2012-07-30 10:44 PM

User image

New user
I've never used a watch or computer - in training or a race.  Finally broke down and bought an inexpensive bike computer just because on long rides it would be nice to know where I am when riding new routes, especially the long ones.  DH offered to install it but...it is still sitting in the box.  I guess I dont think that gadgets are going to make me faster plus I really enjoy the zen feeling when I S/B/R.
2012-07-31 12:23 AM

User image

I just use it to collect data. The display has cadence and distance on the bike and only distance on the run. I do sprints and in my mind, I'm going as fast as I can all the time. When I have had pace displayed, I find myself slowing to the pace I think I should be running and as I said, I'm going as fast as I can, so the measure of pace doesn't matter.

2012-07-31 7:36 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I wear mine when I race, but I usually only look at the time and heart rate. I forgot to put it on at my last race and didn't miss it at all, although I did miss being able to look at the data after the race.
2012-07-31 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I race with mine but do not use it for pacing only for "historical data that I look at afterwards.
2012-07-31 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4337653

New user
Pasco, Wa
lionfan37 - 2012-07-30 11:50 AM

It looks like a common theme is that many people find it a distraction, or something as an excuse to slow down ("whoa, I'm way ahead of my planned pace).

For racing, does anyone look at it the opposite way and use it as a warning if you are going to slow? I see it almost like a HTFU meter. I know what I am capable of from training, and if I need to push the suffering, then my watch can tell me.

Ok, I gotta ask - I have see the acronym "HTFU" so many times on these forums...and I've always struggled with what it stands for.  Judging by your post, my guess is "Hurry The F Up?".... is that right?

Sorry for the "stupid question that hijacks the thread" comment....

2012-07-31 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4339090

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
fgholloway - 2012-07-31 11:50 AM
lionfan37 - 2012-07-30 11:50 AM

Ok, I gotta ask - I have see the acronym "HTFU" so many times on these forums...and I've always struggled with what it stands for.  Judging by your post, my guess is "Hurry The F Up?".... is that right?

Sorry for the "stupid question that hijacks the thread" comment....

Close.....Harden the F Up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lost my Garmin in T1, and threw down my best race yet. Racing with your Garmin? Rss Feed  

of 2