United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 24s
Overall Rank = 73/106
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:00 and made some decaf and oatmeal. Did the dishes because I knew the family wouldn't want to wake up to a sink full.

I couldn't eat all of the oatmeal, but I also ate half a banana driving to the race. Left the house at 7:00.

Got to the race about an hour early, which is what I wanted, but it was really too early. I was preregistered, so I just had to pick up my packet, visit the potty a couple times, and stand around trying to stay warm. It was freezing out there.
Event warmup:

Walked around. Bounced up and down. Drank half a cup of real coffee, just so I could hold it in my hands and try to warm up a little.

About five minutes before the race, Phil, the race director, gave the pre-race talk. It was hysterical. He had been downplaying the water situation all week through email and on facebook, but then announced that two of the crossings were up to his thighs. And he's a tall guy. He also said "Today is going to be a perfect day for . . . . . rattlesnakes." He then went on to describe the three varieties of rattlesnakes in the park and how on cold days, they like to crawl out and sun themselves on the rocks. "But you slower people, don't worry. The fast people will scare them off for you. And besides, this park has never recorded a snake biting a woman. They only bite men -- on the hand or arm." lol So comforting. Since I had no plan to reach out and touch a snake, I would be okay.
Run
  • 1h 12m 24s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

As the description says, we started out at the top of a gravel road, ran down 100 yards or so, and then turned onto a paved street. We ran about half a mile to the trail head. I was so relieved to hit the trail. It quickly became single track, so I saw the wisdom of running the first part on open road. I was able to pass a few people before we got to the trail. Once on the trail, passing possibilities were limited.

Before the race I had made a note of the women in my age group, and I decided to try to pass them all. I passed the first one (that I knew of) on the road. I ran with the second one for a short time -- and we chatted -- but then I finally told her I was going to dash on forward.

The first water crossing was so cold, but shallow -- ankle deep. Then we climbed for quite a while. Some time in here, I stubbed my right big toe and almost went all the way down. I really thought I was going to hit the trail hard, but I was able to catch myself before my right hand hit the ground. My toe was throbbing, but I kept pushing through. After that, I was looking forward to the water crossings because I wanted the cool water on that toe.

I passed a bunch of people, and I determined that I was passing the back of the pack. Once I passed the last person in that group, I was running alone, no one in sight, for probably 10-15 minutes. It made me a little nervous, but fortunately the trail was very well marked. Finally, I saw people ahead of me. I was so happy to reach the back of the middle of the pack, so I started passing them. So much better to be passing than to be passed.

I ended up running with a couple young women (20s, maybe 30s) for a while -- maybe two miles or more. I tried to chat with them a little, but the one closest to me was listening to her IPod (??? Seems like a bad idea on the trail, but whatever). I passed them at one point, but then on the next downhill, they passed me. I let them lead again for a while until I was pretty sure I could pass them and stay in front of them.

The last water crossing was just crazy deep. Well up to my waist, and stinky. And long -- 30-40 meters. I had just passed a guy, so he was behind me in the water, and he said, "I hope I just ran into a stick!" Well, I felt one too at that point, so I cried back to him, "Yes. I think I just felt one too." I know he was thinking snakes, and I must admit, that thought had crossed my mind, too. But I'm sure it was a stick.

At this point, with probably less than a mile to go, I knew there was at least one in my age group still ahead of me. (It turns out that there was one other, but I hadn't spotted her before the race, so I didn't know about her until after I finished.) I've raced against this particular age grouper (the one I knew about) before, and she always beats me, but never by much. I figured that I might be able to catch her, if I could find her. So I picked up the pace and passed people (at this point, mostly older guys -- that is -- guys my age) until I finally saw her. She wasn't moving too quickly and had a line of 5 or 6 people behind her, so I fell in line.

I decided to stay with that group until I could pass, just hoping that I would have a few 100 yards after the trail before the finish line to make a move. It turned out that was the case. So as soon as the trail opened up into the parking lot, I bolted. Passed everyone in that line, even the guys, and finished well ahead of her (Well, by a minute or two, anyway).
What would you do differently?:

If I were racing this all out, I would have been more aggressive passing people, or I would have started closer to the front. I put myself near the back because I was treating it as a training run, and I didn't mean to really "race" it. But my competitive nature got the better of me. I couldn't help myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched. Changed out of my wet socks and shoes and into Teva flip flops. Had some Gatorade and water and four incredibly delicious homemade cookies. Also ate half a banana. Tried to stretch a little, but it was a very half-hearted attempt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first trail race, so I wasn't sure how to make it work. Single track is tricky, especially when the track is cut into the ground and each side of it is one to two feet high. My strategy was to race up to a person (or a group) and then fall in line. Usually the person would call back and ask, "Do you want to pass?" Usually, I just said, "Not yet. I'm fine right now." And I would run with them for a few hundred meters, and then yell up, when I could see a safe place to pass, "Okay. I think I'm ready to pass now."

That strategy helped me conserve energy because I would slow down to run with people, to catch my breath, and then dash forward. I don't know if this is the best strategy or not, but it worked for me in this race. I had energy to run up some of the inclines; ran down all of the descents; and all of the flats. I really didn't walk/hike too much. Some of the ascents were very steep or very rocky, and not really suitable for running. The sand got very deep on one of the ascents, and the guy in front of me started walking, and I decided he was probably right. It was really tough running up hill in 6-10 inches of soft sand.

This strategy also left me with energy to sprint the last quarter mile -- it helped that it was on the road and down hill -- but still, I watched people come in after me, and not all of them were running very fast, and some of them weren't running at all. So I felt good about my finish.

The joint of my big toe is very sore now, and looks a little swollen and discolored. I don't think anything is broken, but I either sprained it or jammed it pretty good. I am hoping it starts feeling much better very quickly.

But I am converted to trail races. This race went by so quickly. When I saw 45 minutes had passed, I was so disappointed because I knew the race would be over quickly, and I wanted it to last longer. They run a marathon and a 50 miler on these trails (plus some) in April, and it is very, very tempting. I loved this race.

Event comments:

Just top notch. Low frills, but unique and attractive first place "trophies." I wish I had got one of them. :-( Maybe next year. The cookies were amazing -- homemade the night before and super yummy.

Last updated: 2012-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:12:24 | 06.5 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 73/106
Performance: Good
Course: From the race description: "This run will take place on the Horsethief Canyon Trail. This trail is a multi-use equestrian, hiking and mountain bike trail and includes hills, rocky sections, sand, and as many as 5 shallow water crossings. There will be approximately 1/2mile of road at the start, followed by approximately 6 miles of trail. The trail length may be shorter if there are high water conditions." Phil Sheridan has a warped sense of "shallow." I don't consider three feet deep "Shallow." :-)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-15 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Horsethief Canyon Trail Run

2012-09-15 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4413071

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Horsethief Canyon Trail Run

Hooray!  Congrats on a great race!

I must know, what shoes did you end up wearing for this wet race?

2012-09-15 10:17 PM
in reply to: #4413099

User image

Master
Central Kansas
yeats - 2012-09-15 10:03 PM

Hooray!  Congrats on a great race!

I must know, what shoes did you end up wearing for this wet race?

My oldest pair of Sauconys. They were perfect. The water drained out of them within just a few steps of leaving the crossings.

Thanks for all of your help.

2012-09-15 10:41 PM

User image

Seattle
Great race and great write up! You came up with a perfect "non-race" race plan and then executed. Plus you podiumed on your first trail run. You can't go back now Plus you did the dishes before the race. Are you super woman???
2012-09-15 11:38 PM

User image

Master
Ditto on what Salty said.  Sorry to my SO, but she would be waking up to dishes!!!  Great job, Felicia!
2012-09-16 1:29 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Ba ha ha! Snakes! What an adventure. Baby those toes, keep plotting for the next ones, and CONGRATULATIONS!

2012-09-16 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Awesome job, Felicia. It is really cool that you went in with a plan, and executed it to the utmost.

Coming away from it with the desire to do more and avoiding snakes is icing on the cake
2012-09-16 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
That sounds like a great race!  Congrats on your podium placement.  That first place woman was probably hiding from you at the start, so you wouldn't know to track her down - damn her
2012-09-16 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Felicia! You are so awesome! Great job!  I love how you raced your non-race and beat that gal at the end - good work!! (felt good didn't it?!)  You took on one heck of an adventure for your first trail race - way to go you animal!!  I'm proud of your effort out there!  Thanks for sharing!! Great report
2012-09-16 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Great job Felicia!  Sounds like you paced very well and ran YOUR race!  RD talking about snakes then feeling stuff waist high in water, NICE!

2012-09-17 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4413813

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Great job!  The race does sound fun Smile  Maybe this will be an annual event for you?

2012-09-17 10:41 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations on a great race!!  They certainly know how to make people nervous with all the talk of snakes at the start!
2012-09-17 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a great time! I like how you picked off the women in your AG one by one.  And I like your race strategy.  Well played!

And did the dishes?!?!? Really?!?!? You ARE super-woman!

Can't wait to read about more trail-races.

2012-09-17 12:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Gotta love a RD with a sense of humor!!   Nice job picking off your competition one by one, racing smart, avoiding snakes, and having a great time with a podium to boot!!  Excellent work!   Yay, trails!!

2012-09-17 6:40 PM

User image

Elite
Oh that sounds so much fun - once i'm done with this IM business I'm gonna get back into the business of racing for 'fun'.  I don't feel like training for IM is fun....at all.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Horsethief Canyon Trail Run Rss Feed