General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Real food during races and training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-16 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Real food during races and training?

I don't want to use gels, bars, or other "race" nutrition. I would even like to avoid nutrition drinks. Do any of you eat only real food on your long runs or race's? For instance, like peanut butter and honey on whole grain bread? Advantages or disadvantages?

2012-09-16 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4413614

Subject: RE: Real food during races and training?

I take a 1/2 pb&j sandwich and banana with me on my long rides...I do use gels at times as well but I prefer the taste of real food...for running I'll munch on oreos mid way through a long run...both give me something to look forward too...i don't have the same longing for a gel as I do a good Oreo :-) serves as carbs and motivation.

2012-09-17 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Particularly for the bike, real food is definitely doable. I've taken PBJ, pretzel sticks, bananas (short ones!), almonds, and snitched my dad's fig newtons when I was out of other bike food. All went down well. I don't tend to cope as well with eating on the run. I think on a few long trail runs I've had orange slices or bananas. One former training partner who was an ultra-runner could run all day on chocolate chip cookies--they made me puke!  There are plenty of recipes online for making your own healthy energy bars. In a race situation, you might want to pack an emergency gel or two just in case-- In my HIM, I ended up with bike grease all over my hands and no way to wipe it without ruining a tri-suit, and started getting grease in my mouth when I tried to eat my (already unwrapped and cut up) energy bars. Yuck! I could imagine a similar yucky situation after an emergency toilet stop, or a minor bike crash. Thanks goodness I also had two gels on board.

Drink-wise, I don't know. You could use fruit juices or sweet tea for energy if you tolerate them well, but I wouldn't want to get into the chemistry of mixing my own electrolyte drinks. I'll leave that to the experts.

2012-09-17 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

On the bike I have used dates and almonds. The combination seems to work well.

i have a hard time eating on the run, so I stick with sports drinks for that.

2012-09-17 8:23 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

The disadvantage would be carrying it - ziplock baggies, bento box, pockets - it could get complicated/messy but definitely do-able. I used to make my own granola/energy bars for half iron distance races. The last time I did it, I had pre-opened the zip lock baggie in my Bento box, and it rained. So they got soaked, and fell apart in a horrible mushy mess. 

I've heard of folks doing PB sandwiches like you mention, uncrustables, fig newtons, boiled/salted potatoes, boiled sweet potatoes, bananas, string cheese. There is a recipe floating around from professional Tour riders for a "rice cake" of some kind - made with real rice.

2012-09-17 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

I agree and don't want to do the gel thing either. I've been experimenting recently. Fig newtons work ok for me. I also crushed up some graham crackers and used honey to hold it together and ate that during a run. I read on here awhile ago that raisins are good too. I also did a handful of Frosted Mini Wheats (not sure I'd do it again...kind of processed, which is what I'm trying to get away from). 

When considering real food to eat, I don't want that phlegmy mouth feeling afterwards. 

I'm interested to hear other ideas!

2012-09-18 9:50 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The benefit of gels/bars is that they are easy to consume (i.e. not messy), easy to pack, and very quick energy. This is why I use gels in races.

For long rides, I sometimes pack a sandwich with bananas and honey, or Nutella and bananas (my favorite!). It's easy to stop, take a break and eat the sandwich, but obviously, this couldn't be done in a race...

Also, if you don't like sports drinks, try something like Nuun, where you simply just add electrolytes to your water.
2012-09-18 1:09 PM

Veteran
Ohio

All good ideas above.  I would avoid high fiber foods (like the whole grain bread) because fiber is going to be tough for you to digest during a workout.

2012-09-18 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Thank you, everyone. You've given me a lot of things to think about. I know when I've run with fig newtons, they end up being pretty crumby -- not that clean to eat.

I also hadn't thought about my hands getting dirty, which they could on the bike, and maybe even on the run.

I was also wondering if the whole grain could cause intestinal/digestive issues.

I'll keep experimenting.

2012-09-23 7:37 PM

User image

Same here, trying to avoid processed foods. Biking seems not as "complicated" but for running Ive been experimenting with dried fruits. On my last long run I took some dried mangos, diced to what for me would be a small comfortable size and put them in my shirts ipod pocket. Worked out pretty good, no GI or bonk issues. You can also check out Skratch, its a dry mix electrolyte drink, like gatorade in a way but way less sugary and only like 9 ingredients. 
2012-09-23 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Thought I'd give an update. I've been reading and found a good website that had some suggestions as well as the carbs gained from particular kinds of food. Wish I could find it again for you guys.

For me, honey is pretty easy to digest (and delicious). I brought a small bottle of green tea sweetened with honey and ate raisins. Worked well. It wasn't a very long run, but it worked ok. Might be on to something with the dried fruit...

Next I'm going to try chasing graham crackers with the green tea/honey thing. 

- Joel

2012-09-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4424306

User image

Master
Central Kansas
The Chupacabra - 2012-09-23 8:01 PM

Thought I'd give an update. I've been reading and found a good website that had some suggestions as well as the carbs gained from particular kinds of food. Wish I could find it again for you guys.

For me, honey is pretty easy to digest (and delicious). I brought a small bottle of green tea sweetened with honey and ate raisins. Worked well. It wasn't a very long run, but it worked ok. Might be on to something with the dried fruit...

Next I'm going to try chasing graham crackers with the green tea/honey thing. 

- Joel

I liked the green tea/honey idea for runs/rides. It's one of my go-to drinks during the day, but I hadn't thought about it for training.

2012-09-28 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Dates are an excellent source of easilly digestable simple sugars, and are the size of a mini gel pack.
2012-09-28 10:21 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
2012-09-29 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Haven't used it much in training but I've done a lot of high-altitude trekking with a thermos of tea (black in my case; caffeine helps with altitude) with honey. It's a good quick-energy source that goes down well.  Also have been known to take a thermos of same (or herbal tea) to master's practice in Oregon when it's cold, which is pretty much all the time there!
2012-09-29 2:39 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Check out The Feed Zone Cook Book by Dr. Allen Lim.   There are some excellents choices for real food while training.

2012-10-05 6:36 AM

New user

I would avoid high fiber foods
2012-10-10 1:30 PM

As I was sitting here smearing almond butter on some pear slices then pouring honey all over them, a really brilliant idea same to me, maybe..................would making an almond butter/honey "gu" be a bad idea?  I like both, would get some protein and carbs at the same time. 
2012-10-11 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
Texas

For long runs/rides I take a 17 oz can of coconut water and blend in a tbsp of coconut oil and hemp. It's a good mix of carbs protein and fat, and goes down pretty easy.

I also use Vega gels. They are about the closest thing to "real food" I have found that are still in gel form.

Good luck!

2012-10-13 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4433370

User image

Master

bad91 - 2012-09-29 2:39 PM Check out The Feed Zone Cook Book by Dr. Allen Lim.   There are some excellents choices for real food while training.

x2  My favorite cookbook out there right now.

2012-10-28 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Found this homemade gel recipe recently. I tried it one time and found that it was easy on the stomach and easy to get down. I still need to experiment more before it gets my full endorsement, though. I wasn't crazy about the taste, but I jazzed it up with some honey instead of agave nectar and it made it better. The recipe in the quantities shown  makes a lot. I found that in the quantities shown, I could make 4 decent sized gels.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/thrive-energy-gel-recipe/

Also, that website has been inspiring me lately. If you haven't already checked it out, it's worth it! Good luck!

- Joel

2012-10-28 7:14 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Target has some fruit bars and fruit sticks....like concentrated fruit roll ups I use on the bike.  I prefer real food but I live in FL so REAL fruit can't be used because it will go bad on a long bike.  A banana after 6 horus in your jersey in 95+ degrees BLECH. I have used a variety of candy, air heads, payday bars, orange slice candies, fig newtons, licorace (EASY you can get it anywhere and cheep) and those chese/PB crackers (MESSY!!) Now I use a combo of real food, accelerade and gels. I need it to be palatable, to not go bad and to not melt.  I don't eat well on the run so I use fluids in training. There is a company that I don't know the name of that has a fruit juice based sports drink...I think its based in apple juice You could probably make it yourself.  ALso lots of companies are mking packets of applesauce. Look in the baby food section of target they have all kinds of stuff but it would be bulky to carry

Edited by Socks 2012-10-28 7:17 PM
2012-10-29 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4417672

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
KansasMom - 2012-09-18 9:47 PM

Thank you, everyone. You've given me a lot of things to think about. I know when I've run with fig newtons, they end up being pretty crumby -- not that clean to eat.

I also hadn't thought about my hands getting dirty, which they could on the bike, and maybe even on the run.

I was also wondering if the whole grain could cause intestinal/digestive issues.

I'll keep experimenting.

Experiment for sure.  Personally I have found that eating any type of solid food causes GI distress for me while running.  I can't even eat within less than two hours of a run.  A bike, I'm a okay.  My tummy can only handle sports drink with low acid and mild sugar content when bouncing up and down while running.

2012-12-24 10:19 AM

Extreme Veteran
Orlando, Florida
I just went on amazon to pick up the feed zone cookbook, and look what I found (Due out in April)

http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Zone-Portables-On---Go/dp/1937715000/ref...

Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes

When Dr. Allen Lim left the lab to work with pro cyclists, he found athletes weary of food. For decades the sport’s elite athletes had been underperforming on bland fare and processed bars and gels. So Lim and professional chef Biju Thomas set out to make eating delicious and practical. Chef Biju and Dr. Lim vetted countless meals with the world’s best endurance athletes during the world’s most demanding races. Their groundbreaking Feed Zone Cookbook brought the favorite recipes of the pros to everyday athletes.

In Feed Zone Portables, Lim and Biju expand on the success of The Feed Zone Cookbook to offer athletes 50 new portable snacks that will nourish better performance.

Feed Zone Portables maintains all the most popular features of The Feed Zone Cookbook including simple recipes that are easy to prepare, beautiful full-color photographs of every dish, complete nutrition information, tips on how each snack can benefit athletic performance, and time-saving ways to make real food the basis of an athletic diet.

New in Portables are:

Two-Bite Portables: Tasty treats for a breakaway from the norm
    Aha! Portables: Clever twists on favorite snacks
    Portable Bars: Sweet and savory flavors featuring whole foods
    Take & Make: Plan-ahead meals and snacks for traveling athletes

With simple recipes requiring just a handful of ingredients, Feed Zone Portables from chef Biju and Allen Lim shows how easy it is for athletes to prepare their own food, whether at home or on the go.

Definitely will be preordering this
2012-12-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4546795

Leawood, Kansas
THANK YOU for the heads-up on this book! My hubby bought The Feed Zone Cookbook, and I have found some great new ideas in it (i.e. the Red Lentil Soup). I can see the new book being a great resource as he ramps up his bike training and me my tri training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Real food during races and training? Rss Feed  

of 2