BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-10-02 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4436417

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Fred D Mentor Group Part III

gsmacleod - 2012-10-02 8:45 AM
Fred D - 2012-10-02 8:39 AM ETA:, Shane even when I had a coach last year I found this was the approach to the swim. We often did a 4,000 yd swim on Monday after a massive bike on Sat and run on Sunday. This was one of the reasons that coach didn't work well with my ultimate goal I suppose, i.e.; recovery was not a huge part of the plan and I was burned out for my 'A' race.
I find that this is an approach that many coaches take; cycling and running are seen as the hard workouts and swimming is used as "recovery" even when it is a hard swim. For most athletes, I will have them doing three hard days and four easy days a week however, what the hard days look like will vary based on the athlete. For some, a hard day might be one hard workout and one easy work, another might be one hard workout and another might have two hard workouts. For all, the following day would be easy so it might just be a 40 minute easy run or hour ride or a swim with more technique work and/or swimming with longer rest. I've posted this in the main forums before, but in case anyone has missed it, this is a great look at how to structure training by Craig Taylor: http://provincialtriathloncentre.blogspot.ca/2009/04/micro-structur... Shane

Shane, I'm picking your brain straight away here, since it seems you're advocating hard day/easy day above.  With a goal to raise my FTP over the winter, what are your thoughts on a 6-8 week block that looks like this (taken from ST):

Day 1 = 2x20 with <5 min between @ ~95% of FTP
Day 2 = 1x20 @ 100-105% of FTP, essentially an all out TT effort
Day 3 = Rest or VERY EASY (ie 30-60 minutes at 50% of FTP)...all small ring.

Repeat, over, and over, and over. FTP is your current FTP, not your desired FTP. On day #2 insert VO2 work every other cycle with something like 5x5 @ 110-112% of FTP with 3-5 minutes rest.
Either don't run at all, or run only very easy, if you have to. I would not recommend running between workouts 1 & 2. You gotta rest.

This looks like it would make you hate the bike after a couple of weeks, but after following Jorge's plan a few times I'm looking to try something different.  Apart from the high level of hard work my other concern with following a plan like this is how do you maintain, or translate your one hour power gains into longer rides in the 3 hour range?

2012-10-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4436839

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
GoFaster - 2012-10-02 12:58 PM

Shane, I'm picking your brain straight away here, since it seems you're advocating hard day/easy day above.  With a goal to raise my FTP over the winter, what are your thoughts on a 6-8 week block that looks like this (taken from ST):

Day 1 = 2x20 with <5 min between @ ~95% of FTP
Day 2 = 1x20 @ 100-105% of FTP, essentially an all out TT effort
Day 3 = Rest or VERY EASY (ie 30-60 minutes at 50% of FTP)...all small ring.

Repeat, over, and over, and over. FTP is your current FTP, not your desired FTP. On day #2 insert VO2 work every other cycle with something like 5x5 @ 110-112% of FTP with 3-5 minutes rest.
Either don't run at all, or run only very easy, if you have to. I would not recommend running between workouts 1 & 2. You gotta rest.

This looks like it would make you hate the bike after a couple of weeks, but after following Jorge's plan a few times I'm looking to try something different.  Apart from the high level of hard work my other concern with following a plan like this is how do you maintain, or translate your one hour power gains into longer rides in the 3 hour range?

I know a few people who have tried something like this and have seen some pretty solid gains in terms of FTP; the downside is that because of the intensity, it is likely going to mean that swim and run performance suffers, at least in the short term. If you were to try this for six-eight weeks, you would likely see improvement but then you'd need to look at a block of time to bring your swim and run fitness back to where you want them to be prior to race season. The trick would then be ensuring that you maintained your bike gains while building swim and run fitness back up.

The translation is pretty easy for most; it is simply a matter of getting out and riding in appropriate training levels based on the new FTP. With some longer rides in the legs, it should be quite possible to ride at the same or higher percentage of FTP for a given distance and still run well.

Shane
2012-10-02 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4433790

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

Third Masters workout since the crash.  Feels so good to be back in the water!  The first Tuesday of the month is always a 1,000m TT.  I was NOT looking forward to it since my shoulder has been a little sore post wreck.  Went to sleep last night dreading it, alarm goes off this morning, still not looking forward to it.  I tell myself on the way to the pool to just take it easy and work on form, don't worry about the time.  I felt OK after the warm up and drill sets, but moved back to third in my lane.  I kept focusing on being long and feeling the water.  I found a nice rhythm for 1 thru 6, picked it up a little on 7, and emptied the tank on 9 and 10.  16:14 LCM.  Super happy since I missed a month after my accident.  I still have lots of work to do to reach my goal of a sub 15 in 2013, but I know I can get there.

3 mile run this evening.

Keep at it everyone!  Send some rain to California, we need it.

2012-10-02 12:44 PM

User image

Trainer ride this morning was over before it started.  The warmup felt a lot tougher than normal, and by the time the main set came, I knew I wasn't going to be even close to the 3x15' I wanted to do.  I just used it as a 30' recovery spin, never really pushing more than 70% of FTP.

So I was in the shower thinking about how I need to restructure my workouts to make sure this doesn't happen again (or too often).  But then I remembered my focus this winter was on weight loss and swimming...so I put things back in perspective.  I had a good swim last night, and have taken steps recently to eat better...so I really shouldn't be worried about having a bad bike day.

2012-10-02 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4437088

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-10-02 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4436345

2012-10-02 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4437465

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Fred D - 2012-10-02 3:47 PM
Catwoman - 2012-10-02 8:00 AMCan you add me back into the group? I will post a bio later today.
. Definitely in Rene. I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to make a group list so we can all copy it into our logs? My log is semi private so if you can't see it let me know I will add you as a friend.

.................Ooooooo Tom.  Sealed

He is such a tech guy.

2012-10-02 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4437461

Veteran

Fred D - 2012-10-02 3:45 PM

My focus is all run, so can't get too upset if I ride or swim a bit below expectation.

Fred, great attitude and much better than mine. When I do a run focus, more often than not I end up missing swim workouts entirely (and sometimes bike workouts too)...trying to improve here and need to accept that a less-than-stellar swim or bike during a run focus is still better than none (for me).

2012-10-02 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4437496

2012-10-02 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4437555

2012-10-02 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4436936

2012-10-02 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4437639

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Fred D - 2012-10-02 5:06 PM

My concern is that in the context of triathlon, it is tough to do much in the other 2 sports when you are exerting yourself so hard on the bike. So the question is, do the losses in the run and swim balance with the gains on the bike? Will the bike gains stay with you when you re-intro the run and the swim?

Over my 6 years in this sport I have learned for *me* that I don't do well dropping one sport as so much is lost and the 'gains' I make tend to be countered when I re-intro the other 2 sports.

Again, that's for me, but I suspect those with busy family and work lives are probably similar.

I haven't been doing this as long as you, but my experience is exactly the same.  Last year I did a huge run focus (got up to 100mpw for a few weeks and obviously lots of mileage prior to get up there).  I was still somewhat biking and swimming, but not in any way that could be called 'serious training', not even maintenance-level.  The running just didn't allow it.  About 8 weeks out from a long course race, I tried to get the others back by dropping the running down.  Now, I also got sick during this period, which I'm sure didn't help, but in the end, the long course race was a disaster, even though the swim was cancelled.  I totally fell apart on the bike and as a result, all of that run fitness was useless and I had probably the most painful and disappointing run of my life (I hope...).

I'm not saying that one should never focus like that.  I learned an awful lot about running, about myself, and lots of other stuff.  I also think that the high volume last year enabled me to come back from some issues this year much more quickly than I would have otherwise -- I do believe that there's a sense in which those miles 'stay in your legs'.  But I was totally unrealistic about what would happen to the other two disciplines, and what it would take to get them back.

[edited to fix a really unfortunate typo -- 'painful and disappointing runs' instead of 'painful and disappointing run'...]

Edited by Experior 2012-10-02 5:25 PM
2012-10-02 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4437759

2012-10-02 6:02 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Thanks for the list Tom!

Beautiful day here, I got in a nice 40 min run at lunch and then a solid 50k ride after work.  A bit windy but that led to an extension of my lead on a Strava segment.  Laughing

2012-10-02 6:17 PM

Fred, I agree with your comments on single sport focus.  I've done it to varying extremes with biking and running, but the reason I was doing it was not for triathlon...it was to do well in a single sport race.  I think it your ultimate goal is triathlon, then your single sport focus can't be as extreme.

2012-10-02 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4437770

Thanks Tom. well done......

For some reason I am still pretty tired.  Not sure if it's lingering from the HIM 9 days ago, that seems a little long.   Got a few hours over the weekend but nothing major.   Will get an easy 2 mile run before masters tonight, then 3K in the pool

2012-10-02 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4437639

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Fred D - 2012-10-02 6:06 PM

My preference is a focus on one sport with maintenance in the other 2, and actually really as I just stated a priority list where the other 2 sports are not really dropped, but that one is de-prioritized a bit more than the other.

Thoughts??

My experience is that most are similar; some athletes can do okay with dropping the other two sports and then picking them back up once they finish a focused block but most will do best if they keep up all three sports but simply focus on one for the hard efforts. For example, during a bike focus I would still try to have an athlete swimming twice a week and running at least three times per week but the bike workouts would be very focused around threshold and VO2max efforts.

Personally, by best seasons came after the following:

Nov - Jan - run focus - run 7x/week, long, threshold and VO2max or hills, aiming to hit 70km/week consistently; swim 2x/week, bike commute (3-5x/week)

Feb - Mar - swim focus - swim 5x/week, workouts all >3000m with lots of threshold work, run 5-6x/week, all easy with a long run, bike commute (3-5x/week but usually some of these would include some threshold riding)

Apr - May - bike focus - bike at least 5x/week, 2x threshold, VO2max, long; swim 3x/week, run 5-6x/week, long run

Shane
2012-10-02 9:53 PM

Elite
Ontario

Thanks for all the thoughts on the bike focus.  I don't see myself willing to go backwards with the other two sports, maintain yes, drop off no.

Just a quick followup on the ITBS from the last thread.

Fred D - 2012-10-01 11:25 AM
GoFaster - 2012-10-01 11:19 AMUgghh...my ITB is not fixed.  Ran twice at 9km since the massage earlier in the week, and the leg felt fine.  But last night I planned to run 13km, and had to start walking at km 10.  Don't know why it didn't get fixed with the last massage the same way it has in the past.  Trying not to dwell on this too much, but last time it was really bad it wrecked my run training for months - I don't want that to be the case again.
. Agree with the PT recommendation but also aren't those relatively longish runs for someone with ITB issues?

The other times that I have seen the massage therapist she's been able to fix the issue right away, so I could immediately run without concern with pacing or distance - seems like this time it may be a bit different.  I had been thinking of jumping on the BarryP bandwagon since people seem to get very good results, but as mentioned above am also thinking about the bike.

Either way, I don't want to stop running.  I'll likely lower the distances, slow the pace, roll the legs each day, and try to work on strengthening the hips.  Massage Therapist noted that some of the muscles on my right side are noticeably overdeveloped compared to the left.

2012-10-02 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4438015

nm...

Edited by tri808 2012-10-02 10:21 PM
2012-10-02 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4436999

Champion
blbriley - 2012-10-02 11:03 AM

Third Masters workout since the crash.  Feels so good to be back in the water!  The first Tuesday of the month is always a 1,000m TT.  I was NOT looking forward to it since my shoulder has been a little sore post wreck.  Went to sleep last night dreading it, alarm goes off this morning, still not looking forward to it.  I tell myself on the way to the pool to just take it easy and work on form, don't worry about the time.  I felt OK after the warm up and drill sets, but moved back to third in my lane.  I kept focusing on being long and feeling the water.  I found a nice rhythm for 1 thru 6, picked it up a little on 7, and emptied the tank on 9 and 10.  16:14 LCM.  Super happy since I missed a month after my accident.  I still have lots of work to do to reach my goal of a sub 15 in 2013, but I know I can get there.

3 mile run this evening.

Keep at it everyone!  Send some rain to California, we need it.

Glad you are getting back at it!
2012-10-02 10:22 PM

Champion
Thanks for the list Tom!

2012-10-02 10:32 PM

Champion
My next few months will be highly bike /run focused and I'll only be swimming about 1x per week just to get in the water. My time is at a bit of a premium for the next few weeks because I'm on orthopedic, ENT and plastic surgery so my coach and I are aiming for more frequent, shorter workouts so I can manage to get some workouts in. After that it should be okay and then I plan on getting a good 3 week block in while in Maui! I'm debating the Haleakala ride with my brother but I don't know if I will be in decent enough riding shape to conquer that monster in December...so I'll see how things go before dedicating myself to that sucker.
2012-10-02 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4434536

Master
Central Kansas

Hi! Fred said I could join you. I've been lurking for a while now and figured I should come out of the shadows.

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately

NAME: KansasMom/ Felicia

STORY: I have never been an athlete. I participated in sports (basketball/ softball/ track / cross country) off and on in Jr High and early High School, but I was never good at anything. My strengths were musical, so that's where I spent my free time. However, I'm from Eugene, OR, and it was difficult not to run -- at least during the time I was a kid -- the days of Steve Prefontaine and Mary Decker. So running is what stuck. My dad and I would ride together -- we would routinely ride across town to Springfield to visit his mother -- maybe 12 miles one way. And in 1976, when I was 15, we did a bicentennial 76 mile ride through the Coburg Hills. I still remember the chafing.

I ran for recreation and stress relief in college. Then stopped for ten years. In graduate school, I picked it up again, allowing myself to run 30 minutes a day (time crunched). I did this until I became pregnant with my first (he's 16 now), and I basically did nothing until 18 months ago.

About two years ago, I had serious gall bladder issues, and in November 2010, I had my gall bladder removed. I know that's not serious, but it kind of snapped me out of my lethargy. I was 40 pounds overweight, eating horribly, stressed from my job, etc. At my post op visit, the surgeon said that I would begin to feel like a new person. That the sick gallbladder was influencing me more than I even realized.

He was right. After I fully recovered from the surgery, I started a C25K program and ran my first 5k race on the first Saturday of April 2011. In our race packet was a brochure for a sprint triathlon at the end of June. Even though I couldn't swim well, I thought I would do it. I knew I could do the 5k. I knew I could cycle, so I just needed to swim.

That race wasn't pretty, but I got it done, and I am hooked. Swimming is coming along; cycling is getting better; but running has become a serious passion for me. While I want to improve in the swim and bike, I still tend to see those disciplines as cross training to help me run more with less injury.

FAMILY STATUS: My husband and I have been married almost 8 years. We have a 5 (almost 6) year old boy together. I have two boys (11 -- almost 12 and 16) from a previous marriage, and my husband has five adult children from his previous marriage. I work in academia and am currently in the midst of an interview process for a position in California. (EEK!!!) We have two dogs and a kitty (my princess). We are also currently battling field mice -- 'tis the season. As a family, we love to camp, hike, and take very slow (and ridiculously short) family bike rides.

CURRENT TRAINING:  After my last triathlon this summer, I turned to running focused (although I've been battling some sickness, so not getting as much done as I wish). My plan has been to follow Barry P (more or less) for running, to swim at least twice a week for 30-35 minutes during lunch, and to get on the trainer at least once a week. In addition, I am treating myself to a Wednesday evening CardioABS class and a Thursday evening spin class. I do all of my training alone, so the classes are forcing me to be with people. I am enjoying them a lot.

2012 RACES: Three sprint triathlons -- I was hoping to move up to an Oly this summer, but it didn't work out. In September, I ran my first trail run (10k), and my second half marathon. In ten days, I have a 15k dirt road run with a 1/2 mile up and down at the half way point. In November, I'm running a 25k dirt road race -- all up and down, except for about 100 yards. I'm still looking for something to run in December.

2013 RACES:  Well, if I really get the job in California, I will attempt Kansas 70.3 -- I want to run on the yellow brick road. If I don't get the job in California, I will probably put the 70.3 off until 2014. I will also do at least one sprint and one Oly after Kansas 70.3. Fall 2013 will bring the half marathon again, as well as a marathon and a 50k dirt road race -- the hilly one (if I'm still in Kansas).

WEIGHT LOSS: After my gall bladder surgery, I lost 35 pounds. I have maintained my current weight for a year, but I would like to lose 10 more this winter. I could stand to lose 20, but I'm not sure I want to do all of that in the next few months. I am trying to eat clean. I don't drink alcohol or soda, but I love coffee and tea.

I'm still trying to find myself nutritionally. I have been a vegetarian in the past, and I would be again, but I cave into my family's eating desires. Still, I don't eat much meat -- I'm pretty sure my 5 year old eats more than I do because I give myself the same meat portion as I give him, and I don't finish mine. My weight loss goals have been complicated by menopause. Frown But I'm not giving up.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER OF THE GROUP: I love triathlon. While I'm not fast or very experienced, I am a good cheerleader and an excellent listener. Most importantly I want to improve and be the best I can be.

2012-10-03 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4438015

Master
Midcoast Maine
GoFaster - 2012-10-01 10:53 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts on the bike focus.  I don't see myself willing to go backwards with the other two sports, maintain yes, drop off no.

Just a quick followup on the ITBS from the last thread.

Fred D - 2012-10-01 11:25 AM
GoFaster - 2012-10-01 11:19 AMUgghh...my ITB is not fixed.  Ran twice at 9km since the massage earlier in the week, and the leg felt fine.  But last night I planned to run 13km, and had to start walking at km 10.  Don't know why it didn't get fixed with the last massage the same way it has in the past.  Trying not to dwell on this too much, but last time it was really bad it wrecked my run training for months - I don't want that to be the case again.
. Agree with the PT recommendation but also aren't those relatively longish runs for someone with ITB issues?

The other times that I have seen the massage therapist she's been able to fix the issue right away, so I could immediately run without concern with pacing or distance - seems like this time it may be a bit different.  I had been thinking of jumping on the BarryP bandwagon since people seem to get very good results, but as mentioned above am also thinking about the bike.

Either way, I don't want to stop running.  I'll likely lower the distances, slow the pace, roll the legs each day, and try to work on strengthening the hips.  Massage Therapist noted that some of the muscles on my right side are noticeably overdeveloped compared to the left.

I can't recommend the hip strengthening enough for ITB issues - it really does help me. Now - after every run, I do a lot of Jane Fonda's (what my PT calls them) and it has made a significant difference. As to the more developed muscles on the right side - do you run on cambered roads? This happens to me when I'm running on asphalt a lot.

All of this discussion about recovery days vs. work days has been illuminating to me. Not coming from an athletic background - I started training just doing what I could handle. After a couple of years, I realized that I *could* work out 7 days a week...and that gave me 14 blocks to play with (thinking about 1 hour a session, two sports a day except on long bike and long run days)...which is what I followed for fall 2011 - now. I tend to fall in the "if one is good, two is better" camp.  I don't think I'm taking any recovery time. No wonder my speed hasn't improved.

So for this winter - I'm following the Winter Cycling plan from Jorge (Intervals MWF, long bike on Saturday) coupled with BarryP's plan for running (which would have the short/recovery runs on MWF, the speed/tempo work on T TH and the long run on Saturday) and swimming when the kids are at swim team on T Th (with another swim on Sunday)...does it make sense to couple the speed/tempo work for running with the bike days? Sunday would be a long swim...but maybe an entire day off would make more sense.

2012-10-03 6:42 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good morning everyone!

3950 meters of various kinds of torture in the pool this morning at 5:30am.  The coach told me my freestyle was really good, just need to fix a minor timing problem with my (non-existant) kick and maybe some other minor tweaks once my fitness gets back up to snuff.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  

of 115