General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ellicott City, Maryland
United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 40m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

Pretty underprepared for this race. I had just raced last week in a half. We had a big work celebration all weekend, plus I had to clip my horse the night before! Needless to say, I wasn't particularly well rested. :)
Event warmup:

I need to warm up for these short races.I'm used to just hanging out for half and iron distance, but I see that its important for Olympics and Sprints since my legs don't "wake up" until 45 minutes into a bike!

This was particularly hard b/c it was cold cold cold. We were just huddling around the tent.
Swim
  • 27m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I didn't know how the start truly went off. I heard time trial, but I thought we were all just walking in first. My fault for not clearing it up. I slacked on that info! I also didn't even bother looking at the course. Oops. I was doing this race for fun, so I just didn't pay attention to details. Needless to say I was surprised that we went into the water and just took off. Took me about 10 seconds to realize that.

The course was nice, until we made the last turn. They had the buoys way off to the middle, which didn't make sense to me b/c I knew where the boat ramp exit was. So, I was hugging the shore like most folks. And like most folks, I ended up in the lily pads! The two orange buoys at the end were confusing. We were supposed to go through them, but one buoy drifted. kInd of dangerous b/c there was a concrete boat ramp that should be marked in my opinion.

Anyways, swim was just ok. I tried to swim hard, but with my shoulder still being an issue (I got an MRI the day before! don't know results yet), I can't pull too hard with it.
What would you do differently?:

Know the course!
Transition 1
  • 06m 32s
Comments:

long long long transition! Up a road, which hurt my feet (I still have tender feet from my blisters just healing!) and drying off, putting on socks (which I never wear in races), arm warmers, bike gloves (again, I never wear in races) and a shirt.

nothing. It was a cold, rainy day. Not much you can do! My legs and toes were cold, but I don't have waterproof cold gear.
Bike
  • 1h 58m 12s
  • 32 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Imagine my surprise that I was first in my age group with THIS time!! I felt awful the whole bike ride. My legs were dead asleep. Not dead, but not awake, not until about an hour into the ride. Toes were quickly numb, and it was hard to pedal up hills!

There were a lot of beginners on the course. I had twice people coming from the left of the course (they were stopped and for some reason on the wrong side of the road) and were trying to merge onto the course in front of me on a hill. One time I had a girl wobble right into me going up hill. Plus I saw several odd crashes, where people just fell over.

I didn't go hard, I couldn't. I hadn't been training hills at all, just doing intervals on the flat or trainer. Plus it was hard to get around people when they were timid and going slowly down hills.

I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to stop. It was just foolish to me to be out there, risking getting sick when my season should have been over. But since this was for cancer, I decided that I'd use that as my inspiration, and pray to my family and friends that have succumbed to cancer. I just reminded myself that as much as this sucked, its not nearly as bad as chemotherapy. Perspective really helps.

Oh!! the coolest part? Going right by my barn where I grew up riding I'm by myself, in my own little world. I hear "Good Morning!" and WHOOOOSH. Totally was Lance Armstrong just going by!! I screamed, "Oh hi! Lance!" and giggled like a school girl. I'm not a Lance apologist, and I was ambivalent all week about him being there. That being said, man, it really was a thrill to have him pass me. And now I can say, I was only passed by a few, and one of those guys was Lance Armstrong!

Warm up pre race!!! I'm just not used to racing short distances. It took me a good hour to feel like I was cycling.
Transition 2
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

couldn't.feel.feet.

That about sums it up! took the time to wipe off my feet and put on dry socks. Took off gloves, shirt, left on arm warmers. Got a hug from my friend Cathy and said hi to Kathy and Drew, and off I tried to run on my stumps for feet.
Run
  • 1h 04m 9s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Well its funny to start when all you feel are stumps! I asked some people if I had feet. It was funny b/c one guy laughed and said, "only one!". I of course said, "oh poop. Must have left the other in transition." It was that kind of run.

I decided that since running is not a friend of mine, I was going to set a goal to run the entire race (except for 6 steps or so at the water stops to drink). And I did it!!! I even skipped the last two stops. Some of the hills are steep, but I DID THEM ALL. I can't believe that I managed a 9:25 on the last 3.5 miles.

Favorite part: the signs along the run course stating who they were racing for. My favorite was one that said Diane's Boobies. :)

Another funny moment: one water stop was getting pizza delivered just as I came by. I shouted to them, "this is my favorite stop ever!! You guys have pizza!" they told me not until I was done, but they'd save me a piece. :)

Nothing! Running is NOT my strength, clearly. But I ran as hard as I could. I'm definitely proud of myself since this is a hilly course after a hilly bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with friends, changed into dry clothes. Got my bike and then waited for Lance to finish. Pretty cool!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training for the Oly distance as opposed to longer distances, and the cold!

Event comments:

very, very good race. Incredible swag. Great volunteers who were cheerful even in the rain and cold.

I only wish it were in July! October is just way too late for this race, its the third year of cold/rainy weather. However, in a way, it seems appropriate. We were suffering, and it pushed us to our limits, just like cancer does. It was a day when all had to dig deep and that I love.

Last updated: 2012-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:58 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:32
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:58:12 | 32 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/18
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:18
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:09 | 06.5 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Performance:
Course: Pretty hilly! Columbia run course basically with longer hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-08 9:10 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance

2012-10-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4444852

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance

Gotta love the "Good Morning - WHOOSH"! Very cool.

Props for simply getting around, let alone an AG-leading bike split, in the sucky weather we had yesterday.

2012-10-08 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great job out there. The conditions were rough but it makes you appreciate your accomplishment alot more after a day like that. Pretty cool that you got to pass by your old barn and Lance passed you.  X2 on the SWAG, I saw the medal which looked so cool.
2012-10-08 3:44 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville

Good job!  It was a cold day to race! 

2012-10-08 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job out there Amy Cool you got Lanced
2012-10-09 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
YAY! Great day, great race!! If only I could go as fast as your slow

2012-10-10 12:32 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
I was also confused about the orange swim buoys.  By the time my wave got there, they were so out of place that nobody was swimming between them.  I didn't either but a piece of me worried I would be penalized.
2012-10-15 5:55 PM

User image

Pro
Great job on a tough race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Full REV - Olympic 40 Mile Distance Rss Feed