General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2012-11-20 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4479272

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
I am looking to join up with someone to get the buy one get one 1/2 deal. 

2012-11-21 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4505054

User image

Expert
Salem
akrenik - 2012-11-20 10:40 AMI am looking to join up with someone to get the buy one get one 1/2 deal. 
I sent you a returned PM.
2012-12-03 10:46 PM
in reply to: #4506016

User image

Expert
Salem
Anyone ready to signup. Looking for a partner to get the half off discount. PM me if interested.
2012-12-06 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I signed up!!!!  Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!  This will be my first full.  I was so nervous to pull the trigger.  Now I am super excited.  Maybe this will be the shot that I needed to get me excited about training again. 
2012-12-06 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)?  Since 2006

What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you?  #8

At registration time, what's your finish goal? I have  a number in my head, but will have to see how training goes.

Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general?

I have raced here before as  a half and full and train on the bike course in the spring.  

Swim:  The water is warm, but usually wetsuit legal.  It's a narrow river and shallow enough at the turn around, that many people stand up and walk around the turn bouey.  If you stand up, be careful of the rocks under your feet and walking is typically slower than swimming, I do a few dolphin dives, just to break up the swim.  

Heading out of T1 there is a hill, not long but or overly steep, just at a crowded area.  I always walk my bike up the top and then mount, have seen too many people fall over due to being in the wrong gear or they drop their chain. 

Bike: The weather here can be on the cooler side or blazing hot.  Typically there is a cloud cover at the start and for the beginning of the bike, so arm warmers are a good idea.  I use my "ghetto arm warmers" tube socks with the toes cut off so I can toss them at an aid station.  It's a pretty ride through the vineyards, course is open to traffic.  Lots of rollers.  Don't worry about Chalk Hill, it's more of a mind game...a bunch of switch-backs and you just don't know when you will hit the top.  Road surface on the course can be very bumpy with lots of shade in some parts.

Run: Hilly, hot and not much shade.  If you are finishing after the sun goes down, there is very little light out there, it's the country.  Personally, 3 loops is a horrible mind-game for me.

My Vineman RR http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=220533

I stil havent registered, but will....the joys of a non-mdot race!

2012-12-07 7:31 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Hi Everyone,

I just signed up this week. OK so my answers (great way to start the thread btw)

Started doing Triathlons 2 years ago. (So far 1xSprint, 1xOly, 1xHIM, 1xHIM DNF)

This will be my first 140.6

Goal is to finish but I have a dream of doing a sub 12 IM

Alas I do not feel competent to add any words of wisdom as I very much consider myself still a Newbie.

Looking forward to the journey. I'm beginning the Don Fink Competitive program on 1st Jan - that date just worked out perfectly.
Hopefully 2013 is gonna be a beauty!
Im coming over from North Carolina so closer to time hoping to perhaps get to know a few folk here and possibly vrbo rent with a few.

Cheers,
Donnie

2012-12-08 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Finally registered yesterday. First one as well. Begin my Fink Competitive Plan next week. I have built in some races throughout the training plus some time in case issues arise. One added addition to my training will be monthly massages and strength training (nothing real big just some CORE work and some shoulder work, leg work, back, abs and hip exercises). Snagged a room at the Flamingo.Look forward to posting and discussing our journeys. Now off to a 1.5 hr indoor cycling class.
2012-12-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4525493

User image

Expert
Salem
AbbieR - 2012-12-06 5:36 PM

At registration time, what's your finish goal? I have  a number in my head, but will have to see how training goes.

I have raced here before as  a half and full and train on the bike course in the spring.  

Swim:  The water is warm, but usually wetsuit legal.  It's a narrow river and shallow enough at the turn around, that many people stand up and walk around the turn bouey.  If you stand up, be careful of the rocks under your feet and walking is typically slower than swimming, I do a few dolphin dives, just to break up the swim.  

Heading out of T1 there is a hill, not long but or overly steep, just at a crowded area.  I always walk my bike up the top and then mount, have seen too many people fall over due to being in the wrong gear or they drop their chain. 

Bike: The weather here can be on the cooler side or blazing hot.  Typically there is a cloud cover at the start and for the beginning of the bike, so arm warmers are a good idea.  I use my "ghetto arm warmers" tube socks with the toes cut off so I can toss them at an aid station.  It's a pretty ride through the vineyards, course is open to traffic.  Lots of rollers.  Don't worry about Chalk Hill, it's more of a mind game...a bunch of switch-backs and you just don't know when you will hit the top.  Road surface on the course can be very bumpy with lots of shade in some parts.

Run: Hilly, hot and not much shade.  If you are finishing after the sun goes down, there is very little light out there, it's the country.  Personally, 3 loops is a horrible mind-game for me.

My Vineman RR http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=220533

You are going to have to provide us some guidance having done 8 IM's. Especially for us 1st timers. Biggest concern for me is always am I doing enough. I m going to focus on the bike and running hills. I have nice run route that will provide me with some rolling hills to replicate what will come at Vineman.
2012-12-09 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Officially began my training plan today. Was suppose to begin on Tuesday, but decided to get my swim in early and do a strength training session as well. No workout tomorrow. How is everyone doing?Where are folks staying? I secured a room at the Flamingo in Santa Rosa. Interesting place. Pool looks great.
2012-12-10 7:05 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Nice bike ride for me yesterday, managed 2 and a half hours very much easy pace mind you but pleased with that. Planning on starting the Fink plan early and going to do the first 3 weeks then start over again on the 1st of Jan.

TriGuyBri: had a look at the Flamingo, agreed that pool does look great - should be good for pre-race and post-race use

AbbieR: as with Bri, hoping you will be willing to share some advice and wisdom along the way

akrenik: Hope you are finding the motivation for training again

Gordongecko: Hope you will be able to support here as well as on race day with insights

Everyone else who i missed: Hope you had a good weekend and for all, would be nice to hear more of peoples training regimes for the Christmas period

Cheers
D

Edited additional:
I am at a paltry 19 followers on my Twitter (@TriDonwah) which is need of assistance..so.... .. cheers

Edited by donwah 2012-12-10 7:08 PM
2012-12-10 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I like it when I am ahead on my weekly training calendar. Went ahead and ran this evening instead of tomorrow. For Christmas break our school district has implemented 5 furlough days, plus the 5 vacation days I am taking plus the holidays gives me plenty of time to train and get my routines in place.

2012-12-11 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

I think one of the best little things I have picked up about Ironman racing is always carry Tums and/or Rolaids on the bike and run!  It's great little insurance policy...even if you don't use it's nice to know it's there.  When it comes to the run, I have used them and passed them out like candy to some of my fellow racers.  Even if you NEVER had digestive issues in training, race day can throw a number of different things at you, so it's nice to be prepared.

This weekend I finally made it back to the pool after about 3 weeks of no swimming!  Just looking for some more consistency between now and the new year.  Base building on the run as well.

2012-12-12 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Hey Abbie,

Good work on getting in the swim. The swim is one of the toughest things for me to work on during the winter, there's just something wrong about getting out of a warm bed to jump in cold water and get your laps in.

Hey Bri, what training plan are you using? I'm using one of the Beginner Tri Half Iron plans to help build my base, and then 5 months out , I'll jump onto the full Iron plan
2012-12-12 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4532479

User image

Expert
Salem
kenb - 2012-12-12 10:39 AMHey Abbie,Good work on getting in the swim. The swim is one of the toughest things for me to work on during the winter, there's just something wrong about getting out of a warm bed to jump in cold water and get your laps in.Hey Bri, what training plan are you using? I'm using one of the Beginner Tri Half Iron plans to help build my base, and then 5 months out , I'll jump onto the full Iron plan
Kenb,I decided to try out the Iron Be Fit Competitive Plan. I like to idea that it builds easily and is 30 weeks long. It is a different plan than what I have been using in the past for Sprints, Oly, and HIM. I previously used Matt Fitzgerald's Plans from the Triathlete's Essential Training Plans book. Wanted to change it up some and try something different.
2012-12-13 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4525493

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
AbbieR - 2012-12-06 7:36 PM

Valuable info, thanks for posting Abbie! Glad you're going to be racing again this year

2012-12-14 6:00 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Got out for my first run in about 2 months - easy pace 30 mins, felt nice to be moving again. Planning to ride Sat & Sun but we'll see..

For anyone interested, I found this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ViewTheRace/videos?query=Vineman

Videos of the Full Bike course and the Full Run course with a couple of insights.

They are quite long but if you have time maybe worth it. I have watched parts of them and will finish them periodically. I found them to be a tad useful and is helping to whett my appetite for the race next year.

Hope the link works

2012-12-14 10:17 AM

Anybody looking to sign up with a partner for the promotion deal?
2012-12-17 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Ran the California International Marathon in flood conditions with 30-40 mph winds the first weekend of this month, then promptly got sick.  Undecided  So I've eased into training the last week or so.

Given how little swimming I have done in the last 15 months, I think coach is trying to rip my arms off.  And I did my first ride in freezing/sub-freezing temps yesterday.  You know you are committed (or ought to be!) when.... 

How is everyone else doing?

2012-12-17 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4538812

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
swgtri - 2012-12-17 5:12 PM

Bad! I was sick last week and did not do one workout! Embarassed

Gotta get back on the horse. Registered for a half marathon at the end of February. It sounds bad, but I am just not scared of that distance anymore. 2 years ago I did that same half marathon with only 4 miles being my longest run, yikes. Hopefully I can get my rear in gear.

2012-12-17 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4538812

User image

Expert
Salem
swgtri - 2012-12-17 3:12 PM

Ran the California International Marathon in flood conditions with 30-40 mph winds the first weekend of this month, then promptly got sick.  Undecided  So I've eased into training the last week or so.

Given how little swimming I have done in the last 15 months, I think coach is trying to rip my arms off.  And I did my first ride in freezing/sub-freezing temps yesterday.  You know you are committed (or ought to be!) when.... 

I heard about the CIM. A runner from my area ran a personal best. Kind of interesting given the amount of water on the course. Week one in the bag for me. Got everything in except a 30 min. run. I am stoked I actually got in two strength training sessions. Week two starts tomorrow (2500 swim plus 30 min run). Christmas break (I am in Education + required furlough days) that begins tomorrow will actually be a nice opportunity to get a serious start with no excuses for missing workouts.Majority of my workouts have been indoors.
2012-12-17 8:20 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

Running didn't happen last week, but on Sunday I did a Jingle Bell Fun Walk with my dog  He's 12 years old and running is not his thing.  Got on the dreamill today for 6 miles...racing a "double" this weekend.  It's a 10k run, a quick break and a 5k run.  The faster you run the 10k, the more time you have between the 2 different runs.  Should be interesting.  

Got in the pool 3 times last week!! 

2012-12-18 2:10 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Sorry to hijack your thread but how fast does this race usually sell out (both 70.3 and full)?  Seems like a great race to target in 2014.
2012-12-18 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
My training is going pretty well except for the swim, only got in the water once last week for a Masters class, got to quit finding excuses to get out of it. The run and bike are building nicely, had a cold ride on Sunday, had to wrap myself around a startbucks after just to feel my fingers again!

So for you veterans out there, I am constantly sore, what do you do about it? and if you're gonna tell me I just have to HTFU, well , that's the answer I'm expecting anyway.
2012-12-18 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4540102

User image

Expert
Salem
devilfan02 - 2012-12-18 12:10 PMSorry to hijack your thread but how fast does this race usually sell out (both 70.3 and full)?  Seems like a great race to target in 2014.
THE 70.3 IS ALREADY SOLD OUT. IT SELL OUT VERY QUICKLY...LIKE IN 20 MINUTES. I DON'T THINK THE FULL SOLD OUT LAST YEAR.
2012-12-18 10:43 PM
in reply to: #4540303

User image

Expert
Salem
kenb - 2012-12-18 3:04 PMMy training is going pretty well except for the swim, only got in the water once last week for a Masters class, got to quit finding excuses to get out of it. The run and bike are building nicely, had a cold ride on Sunday, had to wrap myself around a startbucks after just to feel my fingers again!So for you veterans out there, I am constantly sore, what do you do about it? and if you're gonna tell me I just have to HTFU, well , that's the answer I'm expecting anyway.
GOT TO THE POOL THIS EVENING AND PUT IN A 2500 AND A 30 MIN. RUN. I AM DOING THE FINK COMPETITIVE PLAN AND IT CALLED FOR TWO SETS OF 25'S ALONG WITH SOME OTHER SETS. NOT LIKING ALL THE DRILL WORK....2 SETS OF 8X50 DRILLS. I WAS HITTING 22 - 21 SEC. PER 25 YDS. I AM USUALLY AT 25 SEC PER 25 YDS SO I WAS A BIT SURPRISED. HOWEVER, MY RUN IS A BIT BEHIND AND I DON'T LIKE RUNNING ON THE TREADMILL; ALWAYS SEEMS HARDER. FOR SOME REASON I AM NOT VERY SORE. DO YOU THINK MAYBE YOU ARE HITTING IT TO HARD TO START?I AM TRYING TO FIND A DRYER DAY TO RIDE. IT GETS DARK SO FAST. I HAVE BEEN RIDING ON THE TRAINER WHICH I DON'T MIND SO MUCH AND DOING A INDOOR CYCLING CLASS ON SATURDAYS WITH A GUY WHO DOES TRI'S. WON'T BE GETTING THE HTFU FROM ME....
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29