General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone train by feel anymore??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2006-06-23 12:37 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: Does anyone train by feel anymore???

I've been reading all this post about HRM and GPS units.  Yeah, I think they're great, but what about racing by feel.  A HRM can't tell you need to run faster.  Sure you can look at the average bpm and know what zone you are in, but HRM are electronic and like everything electronic, they can be unaccurate at times.  Seems like alot of people depend on these things.

I was out running this morning, nice easy run.  When I finished I looked at my time and thought that can't be right, I wasn't running that slow.  When I got home and looked at my route maps, I realized that I took a longer route then what I thought I was running.  My body knew I was running faster then my watch was telling me.

I'm not trying to hate on HRM or GPS units, just stating my opinion that they are overused!

Edited by parrj 2006-06-23 12:37 PM

2006-06-23 12:48 PM
in reply to: #464041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Subject: RE: Does anyone train by feel anymore???

I train by feel and HR monitor.

In my interval training I focus on hard vs easy not a specific HR. When I feel like crap or am overtrained it is difficult to get HR up. 3minutes at "hard" is much more intense than 3 miles at hard so it is variable.

I have found my HR monitor to be valuable for charting progress and reminding me when to so ease up on my recovery workouts. It also lets me know when I'm getting anaerobic especially when climbing hills. But I try not to use it as a limiter but rather a complement.

Some days I go without it, too, especially my long rides.

2006-06-23 12:53 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nope, I think HRMs are under/mis-used. 

They are a tool.  A valuable one, but still a tool.  They can help provide feedback during a workout (or race), as well as helping to monitor progress, training effects, etc.  Especially for the vast majority who are self-coached, having some "unbiased" feedback should be a big asset to training. 

"Feel" or RPE is also important and should be used in conjunction with HR (or power or pace).  But it takes experience (and a certain internal objectiveness) to be able to accurately "measure" RPE and use that information wisely.  Witness all the people who post about how great they "felt" on the bike leg of their tris, only to have terrible runs.  Most think they need to work on their run, but really they need to work on their pacing.  HR provides a good way to help do that.

2006-06-23 1:04 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I train using a HR, power meter, pace and PE. If the technology is there why no use it to COMPLEMENT your training. Those tools provide great info that sometimes we might miss when just training “by feel”. I don’t think people should be slaves of those tools at all, but using it wise you can enhance your training A LOT. Use what works for you… BTW, how many times, people blow up a 1/2 mary or full mary race because they are "feeling" good and push hard in the beginning? How many people blow up their HIM pushing hard on the bike because they are feeling strong and end up walking the 1/2 mary?)

2006-06-23 1:07 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
parrj - 2006-06-23 12:37 PM

My body knew I was running faster then my watch was telling me.

I doubt your watch was innacurate, it doesn't gauge speed anyway. What your body was telling you was that, in that time period, your body was covering more ground than your dumb ol' brain thought.

So much for training by "feel."

Wink

Edited by the bear 2006-06-23 1:17 PM
2006-06-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: #464059

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2006-06-23 12:53 PM

Nope, I think HRMs are under/mis-used. 

They are a tool.  A valuable one, but still a tool.  They can help provide feedback during a workout (or race), as well as helping to monitor progress, training effects, etc.  Especially for the vast majority who are self-coached, having some "unbiased" feedback should be a big asset to training. 

"Feel" or RPE is also important and should be used in conjunction with HR (or power or pace).  But it takes experience (and a certain internal objectiveness) to be able to accurately "measure" RPE and use that information wisely.  Witness all the people who post about how great they "felt" on the bike leg of their tris, only to have terrible runs.  Most think they need to work on their run, but really they need to work on their pacing.  HR provides a good way to help do that.

jeeezzzz next time you are posting something similar please send me a memo ok? Good response btw!

2006-06-23 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

I do both.  The HRM has helped me sync up mentally what a particular zone feels like when I run it, and I like being able to see what my HR is doing when other factors come into play such as heat, etc. 

I have a Garmin and I love the GPS feature on it, cause it's just nice to know how far I've really run, the auto-lap is a nice feature, and being able to actually see what my pace is helps me a lot, because I've never been able to gauge my pace for crap. 

I don't use the HRM exclusively by any means - there are days I just want to get out and enjoy the run and not worry about zones and such, and I do just that.  I will take the Garmin along though, for the reasons stated above - I'm still working on being able to tell what a 10m mile actually feels like.

2006-06-23 1:32 PM
in reply to: #464087

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I only train by RPE/feel and pace/time/distance. I do not use a HRM, Power Meter or GPS system.

I'm all old skool like that ..... ;-P
2006-06-23 1:40 PM

User image

Runner
I just sorta go out and run or ride. Sometimes I actually time things too, and now that I have Gmaps Pedometer bookmarked, I'm able to actually determine how long those routes are, too.
2006-06-23 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska

I feel the same way about timepieces as you do about heart rate monitors.  I think watches and timepieces are great, but what about estimating time by feel.  A watch can't tell you need to run faster.  Sure, you can look at the time and a map and know how fast you've been going, but watches are electronic or mechanical, and like everything else they can be inaccurate at times.  Sure seems like everyone is hooked on watches these days. 

I think watches/clocks are overused/misused.  I'm not hating on watches or other timekeepers, but I'm gonna start working out on "perceived" time.  

(Just kidding around)

2006-06-23 2:27 PM
in reply to: #464078

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
the bear - 2006-06-23 1:07 PM

I doubt your watch was innacurate, it doesn't gauge speed anyway. What your body was telling you was that, in that time period, your body was covering more ground than your dumb ol' brain thought.

Wink

My thoughts exactly.  Weird.

Seriously, I started out thinking I'll just do my own thing.  Then, after seeing the results of base training/cult of kicking a**, I gave in.  I don't have a HRM but after low intensity running for a couple months at a nice slow pace I put up a 6:58 pace 5k race.  I was convinced.  I'm following whatever training advice on the subject I can get and when I can afford the gizmos to allow me to get more into it, I'll get 'em.

2006-06-23 2:44 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I do all of my training with HR, GPS, compu buddy etc. I take full advatages of the tools we have availible to train and get better.

Racing... I go by total feel...

I have talked to a few pros and some will not even wear a watch during a race on anything less that a HIM. It is all feel and perseved exertion for them.

2006-06-23 3:21 PM
in reply to: #464078

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
the bear - 2006-06-23 2:07 PM

Wink

Leave it to you Bear to call me out on that.    What I was trying to say was at the end, it felt like my pace was much faster then what my watch was saying.

2006-06-23 3:29 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I've tried HRMS and the Timex GPS... Don't use them any more. In fact I don't even track run mileage, just time. Could be partianlly why my running has sucked as of late...

Anyway... I do have loosly defined "hard" and "easy" days, but really, I do train by feel.
2006-06-23 6:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I guess I have two comments.  Keep in mind that this comes from a total newbie at racing and I have no aspirations other than to get fit, have fun, and maybe to edge myself toward MOP.

1.  In my youth, I loved gadgets.  Any hobby I started, I would get all the latest and greatest.  As I get older, I find I am reversing that trend, i.e. the simpler the better.  Or better known as K.I.S.S..  For example, in my early days of backpacking, I had a fancy stove and a fancy tent and a fancy sleeping pad, etc, etc.  Now I am happy to take 5 minutes to throw in a tarp, an old closed cell foam pad and a homemade alcohol stove and off I go.  So in my attempt to keep it simple, I think a HRM or GPS would just add clutter to my brain.   

2.  Again in my youth (oh doesn't that get old!  LOL!), we walked to school 5 miles each way in a blizzard and it was uphill both ways.  Oh, that's not what I meant to say.

2.  Seriously, I remember working out in college in the days of the jazzercise/aerobics craze.  Heart rates were taken manually every so often and a lot of emphasis was placed on perceived exertion.  So just because I don't use a heart rate monitor, doesn't mean that I totally ignore heart rate.  If I perceive I am going too hard or easy, I will take my heart rate to kind of keep track of things.  It's amazing how I can usually tell where I am at within 5-10 bpm.  I know it is not as good as a HRM to those who swear by them.  BUT it is simple (see #1) and it does keep me on track somewhat.

If I was training to be competitive and actually try to win races, I would probably do HRM monitor training, but that's not where I am at. 

Diane

2006-06-23 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I'm a firm believer in using a HRM for training.  When I first started using a HR monitor, I found that I was constantly training in zone 3.  I felt like I was pushing hard but all I was doing was delaying my recovery.  Using the HRM, I sooned learned what zone 2 and zone 4 felt like, so that I could accurately schedule my training.  I've been good about it on the run and need to implement it on my bike.  I think that the HRM is essential for people doing their own training (not using a coach).  If you can't measure what zone you are in, you won't train as efficiently as possible.  Yes, you'll improve but not as well as you could.

Ernie

2006-06-23 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
As it has been said, HRMs are a tool. I use mine but to help monitor and fine tune my training, but regularly I'll leave both my HRM and watch at home and run by feel. I feel less pressure to push the pace on my easy days if I'm not getting any feedback in terms of time, pace, and HR.
2006-06-24 1:32 AM

User image

Expert
I train by feel just because I am a poor triathlete. I use if I can't talk then I know I'm at my max heart rate and not to stay there for to long. I train by how I feel. If I feel like I am having a bad day, I will relax but put more distance rather than time. I wish I could have a HRM monitor but until then it's all on feel.
2006-06-24 7:12 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
The "most used Christmas present" award goes to the HRM my loving bf gave me this year. I was skeptical at first, but after a while, I really have come to rely on it. It lets me know if I'm running faster, if I feel like i'm going to hurl from exertion or from diabetes, and it helps me keep my logs straight. I haven't raced with it yet, but I will in a few weeks (ps, I'm super excited). I still do a lot of things by feel, but the HRM has helped exponentially. I'm sure when it comes time for my HIM I'm going to be counting the seconds till the 8 hr cut off.
2006-06-24 7:21 AM
in reply to: #464525

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

phoenixazul - 2006-06-24 7:12 AM The "most used Christmas present" award goes to the HRM my loving bf gave me this year. I was skeptical at first, but after a while, I really have come to rely on it. It lets me know if I'm running faster, if I feel like i'm going to hurl from exertion or from diabetes, and it helps me keep my logs straight. I haven't raced with it yet, but I will in a few weeks (ps, I'm super excited). I still do a lot of things by feel, but the HRM has helped exponentially. I'm sure when it comes time for my HIM I'm going to be counting the seconds till the 8 hr cut off.

I'm sure by the cutoff you'll be getting a massage at the finish looking at your cool new medal and chowing down!

2006-06-24 7:27 AM
in reply to: #464103

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA

Daremo - 2006-06-23 2:32 PM I only train by RPE/feel and pace/time/distance. I do not use a HRM, Power Meter or GPS system. I'm all old skool like that ..... ;-P

Me too! I'm not anti-HRM or anything else, I just never use anything other than my watch and bike computer.

2006-06-24 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I always use my HRM for biking and running...but I check my RPE to see how I feel as well. I love to exam the data and see my progress. When I first started running I always went to fast, with a HRM I slowed down and was able to run.

I've been a bit to caught up in it all and now have taken a week off...no HRM, no bike computer, just go out and enjoy myself riding, running and swimming. It is very different and freeing. Now I know how hard  each zone feels, so I can pace myself better. I'm racing w/out watch, HRM or bike computer tomorrow in a sprint. It will be weird for me but I hope it will allow me to enjoy my experience free from pressure of pace/time/placement. I wonder if I'll miss the data from afterwards...I'm thinking yes.

2006-06-24 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Yes. I do have a computer on my bike, which I use to find out speed, average speed, elapsed time and to figure out cadence in my head. When I run, no watch, no time, no GPS, etc. I do often drive the run afterward to figure out how far I went. When swimming, there is a clock on the wall and sometimes the big timer by the side of the pool. I sometimes time a 50, 100, or two just to see, but on my long swims of 2500 yds., I don't look at the clock until I'm done.

That being said, it seems apparent from all of the BT posts that heart rate training makes a lot of sense, and I see that in the future. I tend to push as hard as I can all of the time, and HR training seems to indicate that is not the most efficient use of energy.

Like many other pursuits, you can go so far on feel, but after reaching a certain level of fitness, while continuing to grow older, paying attention to data offers the best way to make gains in time, efficiency etc.

Did that allow me to straddle the fence?
2006-06-24 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
On my runs I wear my Garmin 201 but only look at it when it chimes each km to see what my average pace was for the last km. I run by feel and use the Garmin as feedback to see if what I perceive as an easy pace is actually an easy pace or something faster.
2006-06-24 8:48 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
I have been using a Garmin 301 for the past week. It has a speed alert function the beeps and has a message that says "slow down" or the one I get most is "speed up"....Since I've been using it, for the past week anyway, my runs are easier to stay at speed. I also use the HRM, but don't fully understand it all yet. I used it on the bike today, and was happy with the data.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone train by feel anymore??? Rss Feed  

of 1