Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2013-01-10 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4565958

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser
You know what... I think that if the show really CARED about the people on there and them losing weight, they would keep them on the ranch for a month before letting people go. At least give them a shot at changing their lives by learning new habits for 30 days.

I finally watched the second night last night. Very sad to see Nate go! Ugh. Kills me when you can see that someone is ready to change their life, and appreciates the help, but they have to go home.

2013-01-10 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The less drama the better, for me. I wish that there were no teams and a red line every week—the person who loses the least weight goes home every week. Period. Give each trainer one “save” per season for the times when someone has a great week and, for whatever reason, just doesn’t lose any weight. The more the the show becomes a popularity contest or a clique war, the less I’m interested—that’s what turned me off last season.

I was sorry to see Nate go too. I felt bad for Jillian. I know she did give him a lot of attention, but I can’t help but think that maybe if she hadn’t had to dedicate so much attention to the women on the team and their neuroses that she might have been able to give a little more to Nate and maybe have saved him.

I also hate the “temptation” challenges. It’s just mean-spirited to me. I get that there’s a certain amount of schadenfreude that goes on with this show, and that’s part of its appeal, but it’s also true that these people have serious psychological and emotional problems that have gotten them to this stage. You would never put the contestants on “celebrity rehab” in a bar or a room full of pills and keep them locked inside all night. It bothers me that the producers think that this is ok.

I’ve had the thought that they should have a “no elimination rule” for the first couple of weeks. At least let the shock of the new environment wear off a little before people have to worry about going home.

Also, and I’ve said it before, Dr. “H” is the Creepiest. Dude. On. The. Planet. He really makes my skin crawl.
2013-01-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4571515

User image

Queen BTich

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-01-10 9:29 AM

. I also hate the “temptation” challenges. It’s just mean-spirited to me. I get that there’s a certain amount of schadenfreude that goes on with this show, and that’s part of its appeal, but it’s also true that these people have serious psychological and emotional problems that have gotten them to this stage. You would never put the contestants on “celebrity rehab” in a bar or a room full of pills and keep them locked inside all night. It bothers me that the producers think that this is ok.

For the most part, I agree with this. However, the only slight reason I can see for this is trying to get them to understand they WILL go home. 4 hours in a room with bad food is nothing compared to what they'll have in real life. Looking at the bios, most of their families are overweight or obese. When the family doesn't change the eating habits, the contestants will be around this food EVERY DAY. In their kitchens. 

Like the kid who sneaks candy & junk food in his room at night. Where does he get it? The kitchen I'm sure. They showed him eating ice cream and such, I know he didn't go buy it.  

I know the adult are being locked in there, but they'll have similar challenges, with unsupportive spouses & children. 

2013-01-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4571544

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Comet - 2013-01-10 8:38 AM

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-01-10 9:29 AM

. I also hate the “temptation” challenges. It’s just mean-spirited to me. I get that there’s a certain amount of schadenfreude that goes on with this show, and that’s part of its appeal, but it’s also true that these people have serious psychological and emotional problems that have gotten them to this stage. You would never put the contestants on “celebrity rehab” in a bar or a room full of pills and keep them locked inside all night. It bothers me that the producers think that this is ok.

For the most part, I agree with this. However, the only slight reason I can see for this is trying to get them to understand they WILL go home. 4 hours in a room with bad food is nothing compared to what they'll have in real life. Looking at the bios, most of their families are overweight or obese. When the family doesn't change the eating habits, the contestants will be around this food EVERY DAY. In their kitchens. 

I understand, and I agree that learning to say no to temptation is a big part of being successful with weight-loss long term.

The thing is, I don’t think that’s what this is. It’s not as if they’re being given any tools or instruction about how to avoid temptation or say no to temptation.
They’re not active and don’t know how to exercise, so we give them trainers and a very specific workout plan. They don’t understand how obesity is impacting their health medically so they meet with a doctor and have screenings and get a clear picture of exactly the ways in which their lifestyle is impacting their bodies. They don’t know about nutrition and healthy eating so we give them kitchens with healthy foods and dieticians and other instruction around healthy nutrition and cooking.

But, we recognize that learning to stay away from the temptation of bad food is critical to staying on a successful weight-loss program, and so we stick them in a locked room with an unlimited quantity of junk food and watch them squirm and suffer and fall off the wagon. How does that help them to learn anything? It doesn’t, it just makes for entertaining television.

(Edited to break up the massive block of text...)

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2013-01-10 12:22 PM
2013-01-11 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Regarding the Rich Froning sighting, I thought that was funny. I saw him in the back and thought..."Hey, isn't that that Rich Froning guy?"

I'm sure every crossfitter in the world was outraged that they never even introduced him or mentioned who he was. Every season, there's always some guy from the NFL that most non-fans have never heard of but who they always make a big deal out of. In Froning, you have a guy who's an icon in this very small segment of the fitness world and he doesn't even warrant an introduction. It would be like having the contestants do a triathlon segment and to see Craig Alexander off in the background, spinning away on a trainer and never getting mentioned.

I'm wondering if there wasn't some contractual reason why they couldn't refer to Crossfit by name. Aren't they a Reebok property now?
2013-01-11 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4573865

User image

Queen BTich

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-01-11 11:50 AM

It would be like having the contestants do a triathlon segment and to see Craig Alexander off in the background, spinning away on a trainer and never getting mentioned.

I'm wondering if there wasn't some contractual reason why they couldn't refer to Crossfit by name. Aren't they a Reebok property now?

This. Yep. Disappointing. I also said to myself, "they paid all those CrossFit stars to get there, appearance fees(maybe? they'd have to) and didn't even give them more exposure or introduce them?!" 

I think you're right about the licensing. I figured that was why Bob is only wearing Rogue Fitness and Life as Rx clothing (from what we've seen). Also, that CF equipment is Rogue, nothing to do with Reebok. CF and Reebok do not have branded equipment, only clothes.

2013-01-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4573904

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Comet - 2013-01-11 11:27 AM

It would be like having the contestants do a triathlon segment and to see Craig Alexander off in the background, spinning away on a trainer and never getting mentioned.

This. Yep. Disappointing. I also said to myself, "they paid all those CrossFit stars to get there, appearance fees(maybe? they'd have to) and didn't even give them more exposure or introduce them?!" 

I think you're right about the licensing. I figured that was why Bob is only wearing Rogue Fitness and Life as Rx clothing (from what we've seen). Also, that CF equipment is Rogue, nothing to do with Reebok. CF and Reebok do not have branded equipment, only clothes.

I doubt TBL would have to pay anyone an appearance fee to be there, especially someone that 99.99% of the population has never heard of. I would think they probably invited them to appear and they happily agreed to show up, expecting at least some kind of exposure other than being background eye-candy. I wonder if there was other footage that got left on the cutting room floor?

I had the thought that maybe he orignally had more involvement but that before they went to production there was a problem with promoting another chain of gyms when Planet Fitness is the "official" fitness chain of TBL. I know that Crossfit gyms are technically independent so it's not apples to apples, but maybe it was close enough to get NBC's lawyers nervous.
2013-01-11 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4574340

User image

Queen BTich
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-01-11 4:19 PM
Comet - 2013-01-11 11:27 AM

I wonder if there was other footage that got left on the cutting room floor? .

This. I'm sure they went to the shooting with the expectation of a bigger appearance and not just 'work out in the background'.

And I can't imagine RF and those others going out there...on their own dime either. No way. Maybe the travel/expenses paid or a minimal appearance fee, but no way they did it for nothing.

2013-01-14 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Did I miss something or were they specifically banned from doing any workouts while in the room?  First thing I would have done was start doing laps or squats or something if I'm stuck in there....
2013-01-14 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4578600

User image

Queen BTich
jldicarlo - 2013-01-14 9:22 PMDid I miss something or were they specifically banned from doing any workouts while in the room?  First thing I would have done was start doing laps or squats or something if I'm stuck in there....
We were saying the same thing. They, or Allison, never specified. However one of the contestants made a comment about "being in here and not being able to do anything." Bob would have given them body weight exercises as well. So the I my explanation is that they weren't allowed.
2013-01-15 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4578600

Master
Memphis, TN

jldicarlo - 2013-01-14 8:22 PM Did I miss something or were they specifically banned from doing any workouts while in the room?  First thing I would have done was start doing laps or squats or something if I'm stuck in there....

I thought the same thing.  Maybe they weren't allowed to do anything.  I thought Bob would have told them to do lunges or something after the first day.  The deck of cards workout looked brutal.  High School memories with burpees.  Nothing will make you want to puke like a session of those. 

The kids this season are great.  I think this shows the parents watching that 9 hours of video games when your child is over weight is a problem and a reflection on parenting not just "societies standard"  it doesn't have to be.  Again, the show is handling this in a very good way so far.

2013-01-15 12:53 PM

User image

San Diego, CA

The most important 2 things to take-away from last nights show (for me at least): 

1. Sugar-filled drinks make up 40% of the calories in a kids diet

2. Kids spend on average 4.5 hrs/day in front of a TV/video game screen

Seems like a pretty easy fix to me.  If only all parents were aware of these numbers.  

The best part of the show last night was the 2 second blurb from Bingo's dad where he claimed responsibility for his son being overweight.  I always love it when the light bulb goes off and people realize they have the control!

2013-01-15 1:50 PM

User image

Elite

My "guess" on the room was just that all their workouts and rest and recovery are all scheduled and accounted for. So while they may have been able to do something... they knew they were still going to be getting their daily beat down.

IDK.... if I would have worked out... then I would have just been hungry.

2013-01-15 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
It was quickly mentioned that working out was not allowed in the room during the 4.5 hour period.

Why did they all just choose to lay around like sloths though? I'd of least played some air hockey or something...
2013-01-15 2:03 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Enjoyed Bingo's Dad taking a bit of responsibility for his chubbby son.

It was interesting seeing the parents. Apple doesn't far to far from the tree.

The youngest girl - Ummm I like you sister!!

This may be a narrow minded Canadian speaking, but am I the only one who thought of Fargo everytime Cate spoke?

2013-01-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4579736

User image

Elite
TrevorC - 2013-01-15 1:03 PM

This may be a narrow minded Canadian speaking, but am I the only one who thought of Fargo everytime Cate spoke?

Not at all... she has a really weird sort of inflection... I mean that it was different here and there and just hit you wrong from time to time. Not hating. She was cool and a bummer to see her go... but of all, ya she is probably safest at home.. but what does that really matter? Just another competitor out of the "game".

2013-01-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4579730

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

RockTractor - 2013-01-15 1:58 PM It was quickly mentioned that working out was not allowed in the room during the 4.5 hour period. Why did they all just choose to lay around like sloths though? I'd of least played some air hockey or something...

I heard a contestant say that too, but it was really glossed over.  Nice editing, BL.

I agree - I would have played the most spirited versions of air hockey and pinball EVER.   Maybe they decided this would be their rest/recovery period for the whole day.

2013-01-15 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4579749

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
powerman - 2013-01-15 1:09 PM
TrevorC - 2013-01-15 1:03 PM

Not at all... she has a really weird sort of inflection... I mean that it was different here and there and just hit you wrong from time to time. Not hating. She was cool and a bummer to see her go... but of all, ya she is probably safest at home.. but what does that really matter? Just another competitor out of the "game".

Oh no didn't matter at all. Just wondered if I was the only one that thought she sounded like a charachter from the movie.

2013-01-15 4:17 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Oh one think I forgot to mention...

Pam - i love her. She is so funny. A little overboard on her dance at the weight-in, but all good.

Gina - the blonde lawyer lady. i think she has some crazy issues. Not sure about her.

Lisa- I hope she wins. Seems like a very nice lady. Mother of 4. Good on her!! We can barely handle two!

2013-01-15 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4579757

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
BikerGrrrl - 2013-01-15 2:12 PM

RockTractor - 2013-01-15 1:58 PM It was quickly mentioned that working out was not allowed in the room during the 4.5 hour period. Why did they all just choose to lay around like sloths though? I'd of least played some air hockey or something...

I heard a contestant say that too, but it was really glossed over.  Nice editing, BL.

I agree - I would have played the most spirited versions of air hockey and pinball EVER.   Maybe they decided this would be their rest/recovery period for the whole day.

I heard the one small comment too but took it more as "you won't want to because look at all the TV and video games"...I thought if they were actually banned from physical activity there it would have been made much more clear to the viewers.  Because they COULD have used this "locked in the room" segment to show how you can do little things to stay active even if you are watching TV or playing a video game...instead they chose to focus on how the extended sitting makes them feel sluggish.  Um, okay...whatever.

I thought that they would maybe try to get up early and do a HUGE workout before going in so that they could nap in the room as recovery...at least that's what I would have done if they really wouldn't let me "work out" in the room.  I get that maybe Bob couldn't be available until after they had done their 4.5 hours, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do their "homework" before.

And let's get this straight...so...the team that was locked in a room for 4.5 hours a day unable to work out actually lost MORE weight than a team that was getting "business as usual".  So...what exactly did BL prove by this?????  You can still lose weight while sitting on your butt for 4.5 hours per day????

I didn't like Pam at first but she's growing on me...wonder why she and Jillian butt heads so much....

2013-01-15 11:25 PM

User image

Elite
Because they are both pig headed.

2013-01-16 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4580007

Master
Memphis, TN
TrevorC - 2013-01-15 4:17 PM

Oh one think I forgot to mention...

Pam - i love her. She is so funny. A little overboard on her dance at the weight-in, but all good.

Gina - the blonde lawyer lady. i think she has some crazy issues. Not sure about her.

Lisa- I hope she wins. Seems like a very nice lady. Mother of 4. Good on her!! We can barely handle two!

I disagree.  I thought Pam went overboard to obnoxious on her dance.

2013-01-16 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4578662

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Comet - 2013-01-14 9:01 PM

jldicarlo - 2013-01-14 9:22 PMDid I miss something or were they specifically banned from doing any workouts while in the room?  First thing I would have done was start doing laps or squats or something if I'm stuck in there....
We were saying the same thing. They, or Allison, never specified. However one of the contestants made a comment about "being in here and not being able to do anything." Bob would have given them body weight exercises as well. So the I my explanation is that they weren't allowed.

Dolvet also said to the other trainers they weren't allowed to workout in the room.

2013-01-16 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4579608

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jasonatkins - 2013-01-15 12:53 PM

The most important 2 things to take-away from last nights show (for me at least): 

1. Sugar-filled drinks make up 40% of the calories in a kids diet

2. Kids spend on average 4.5 hrs/day in front of a TV/video game screen

Seems like a pretty easy fix to me.  If only all parents were aware of these numbers.  

The best part of the show last night was the 2 second blurb from Bingo's dad where he claimed responsibility for his son being overweight.  I always love it when the light bulb goes off and people realize they have the control!

Or better yet that 75% of parents with overweight kids think their kids are a healthy weight.

As we saw with the kids on the show, their parents are obese too. They get their food and have learned how to eat and not exercise from their family.

2013-01-17 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4579757

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
BikerGrrrl - 2013-01-15 1:12 PM

Finally watched it. I couldn't believe it when they covered th air hockey table with food! That looked like the most fun activity in the room!

As for Pam's dance. Way overboard. And gloating at Jillian? Jillian was the one who told her she COULD do it!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser Rss Feed  

of 13