2013-01-08 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4566127

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: The Biggest Loser
powerman - 2013-01-07 11:27 AM

I love Jillian.

I was really surprised to see someone walk out the first week.  I mean I'm sure they all want to walk out... but to be given such an opportunity, and just walk out. Even if your heart isn't in it and you get eliminated... but to walk out in the first week, when everyone else is falling down and puking too... wow.

Shame for TC.. but he has a lot to loose and has a good chance at winning the "at home" prize. I do understand that you do not get that big just eating. It's a sickness,an addiction, and I get it... but he was in that wreck and made the promise to loose weight for his kid and all that... and has been trying to get on he show for 2 years.... so what have you been doing for two years... gaining weight and waiting to get on some show?

It's awesome to see the kids on the show...ya they are not "on the show", but its; really cool to get them involved too.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He was SO UPSET about the wreck and made a promise to lose weight... but didn't... and he had 2 YEARS to work on it.

2013-01-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4566825

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
4agoodlife - 2013-01-07 4:53 PM

Our house likes to watch most of the time. We turn it off when it gets too drama filled (like last season). A friend of mine posted a BL "workout" yesterday- where you do certain exercises when things happen on the show. I ended up doing a lot of planking with all the crying and yelling going on last night. Laughing

I tried to play a game on the trainer... "ride faster if someone whines, cries, or pukes". Yeah, there was so much of it, I just made sure to pedal fast after my warm-up! Ha!

2013-01-08 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4566727

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jldicarlo - 2013-01-07 4:02 PM

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention.  I know puking gets ratings, but REALLY...all that does is set up the average joe to think if he's not puking he's not making progress.  The SAFE and RIGHT way to start an exercise program is a lot more gradual!  I just think it's a bit dangerous/misleading of the show to not talk about the right way to start an exercise program.

I get that just like military boot camp they are trying to break these people down to build them up again...but be careful...you might actually BREAK them!

And...YES!  Tech shirts in the gym!  It's about fracking time!  I was sick of watching them sweat in cotton!

I was very happy to FINALLY see tech shirts!

2013-01-08 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4565958

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Overall decent first episode. I made sure I rode the bike trainer while watching it. Watching it on DVR is the best. So I can skip commercials and FF through the weigh in.

Gosh, all the falling off treadmills! WOW! They need to put those safety straps on these contestants.

I have always liked Jillan. Glad she is back. I will say that her yelling and "workout or get out" attitude was a bit over the top. While I know these people can't be babied the entire time, and they do need to be pushed, I can see where some people will shut down mentally when they get yelled out. From my experience, most people don't get motivated when you yell at them. But I understand what Jillan is trying to do and they probably edit it so she looks worse than she really is.

Really sad to see TC go. I wish they wouldn't have sent anyone home since that other lady left.

Glad they have the kids on. Childhood obesity is so sad and tragic. I feel sorry for someone so young who is already a prisoner in their own body and who has a shortened lifespan. They really need to help the parents of those kids too though. I have seen other shows where an obese child is given assistance and they go home to fried food and a family who doesn't know how to support their healthy lifestyle.

2013-01-08 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4566727

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
jldicarlo - 2013-01-07 4:02 PM

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention.  I know puking gets ratings, but REALLY...all that does is set up the average joe to think if he's not puking he's not making progress.  The SAFE and RIGHT way to start an exercise program is a lot more gradual!  I just think it's a bit dangerous/misleading of the show to not talk about the right way to start an exercise program.

I get that just like military boot camp they are trying to break these people down to build them up again...but be careful...you might actually BREAK them!

And...YES!  Tech shirts in the gym!  It's about fracking time!  I was sick of watching them sweat in cotton!

I agree about the puking.  

But I can say having spent plenty of time on Parris Island, there are people who are so new to working out that they don't breathe in and out properly when you start making them run, do pushups, etc.  And then they puke.  

Some of these people are just so new to the concept of exertion that they don't breathe enough while they're doing it and their body says "oh yeah?!? Here's some puke!!!"

2013-01-08 8:06 AM

User image

I saw Bob and his friend in the Skyclub in the Atlanta airport.  He was eating nuts.  He's not a little guy like he seems.  

I would think the ideal structure for the coaches would be Jillian for each team (real hard-nose, heavy hitter) and a Bob type overseeing it all.  

So when he sees someone falling apart, he can decide whether to break them down completely or play the nice card. 

If the Bob character is going all out at you, you know you're just being a pu--y and you need to HTFU...

2013-01-08 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I thought it was interesting that Jillian spoke to all of the teams at the beginning and said something like, “You can always come to any of us at any time.” Maybe they’re trying to get away from some of the competitiveness between the trainers that led to some unhealthy competition between the teams in the past?

I wonder how that’ll manifest itself? Will someone who gets tired of Jillian screaming at them go to Bob or Dolvett for support? Bob may not be as much of a screamer as Jillian, but he can be super-snarky and condescending, which, for me, would be worse than someone screaming at me.

My wife follows Bob on Twitter, and Bob often gets tattooed by an artist whose shop is a few blocks from where I live, so sometimes she’ll check her phone and say “Bob is around the corner!”
2013-01-08 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4567638

Master
Memphis, TN

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-01-08 8:23 AM I thought it was interesting that Jillian spoke to all of the teams at the beginning and said something like, “You can always come to any of us at any time.” Maybe they’re trying to get away from some of the competitiveness between the trainers that led to some unhealthy competition between the teams in the past? I wonder how that’ll manifest itself? Will someone who gets tired of Jillian screaming at them go to Bob or Dolvett for support? Bob may not be as much of a screamer as Jillian, but he can be super-snarky and condescending, which, for me, would be worse than someone screaming at me. My wife follows Bob on Twitter, and Bob often gets tattooed by an artist whose shop is a few blocks from where I live, so sometimes she’ll check her phone and say “Bob is around the corner!”

Everyone seems to think Bob is the nice guy but he'll make you work hard and yell at you pretty good too.  I'm not sure who I'd want as a trainer but I'm sure either way it would be a tough workout. 

2013-01-08 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I think I would do better with a Bob.  I respond to yelling...but not once I get immune to it (i.e. Basic Training).  I am much more likely to do well with an encouraging person that only yells when it's really necessary...a person that practically guilts you into doing another rep....

Poor white team...felt bad for them again last night.  They did work hard.  I think there should be a rule that if there is a red line and ANYONE broke even or gained then the broke even/gained person should go home...not necessarily someone on the "losing" team...or heck, just get rid of the teams if you are going to have a dang red line!

Two teams is really a better format for this show.  The teams are too small with 3...

2013-01-08 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Suppose I am the only one who doesn't miss JM. Is it just me, or did Sunday seem like the Jillian Michaels Show. I am not impressed with her technique at all. Either that or the editing. There is no way that she could be that mean. I didn't get her kicking all the people out of the gym and saying, "I don't want any drama." Last year and last time she was on the show it was all about drama, sitting there and chatting with the Losers and getting to know all their problems. I mean I don't miss that bit but it does seem like a bit of a change.

Personally, I was more interested in seeing Bobs workout area than Jillian's,
2013-01-08 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4567757

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
jldicarlo - 2013-01-08 9:24 AM...

Two teams is really a better format for this show.  The teams are too small with 3...

It's starting to feel like the most recent season of Survivor.

2013-01-08 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4567875

User image

BigDH - 2013-01-08 10:13 AM Suppose I am the only one who doesn't miss JM. Is it just me, or did Sunday seem like the Jillian Michaels Show. I am not impressed with her technique at all. Either that or the editing. There is no way that she could be that mean. I didn't get her kicking all the people out of the gym and saying, "I don't want any drama." Last year and last time she was on the show it was all about drama, sitting there and chatting with the Losers and getting to know all their problems. I mean I don't miss that bit but it does seem like a bit of a change. Personally, I was more interested in seeing Bobs workout area than Jillian's,

I really think it's the editing.  

Even Drill Instructors can't keep it going all day every day.  

Besides, when do they show Jillian and Bob working-out.  You know they get some awesome workout in every day or 2 or 3...

2013-01-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4567757

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jldicarlo - 2013-01-08 8:24 AM

I think I would do better with a Bob.  I respond to yelling...but not once I get immune to it (i.e. Basic Training).  I am much more likely to do well with an encouraging person that only yells when it's really necessary...a person that practically guilts you into doing another rep....

Poor white team...felt bad for them again last night.  They did work hard.  I think there should be a rule that if there is a red line and ANYONE broke even or gained then the broke even/gained person should go home...not necessarily someone on the "losing" team...or heck, just get rid of the teams if you are going to have a dang red line!

I agree. I know week 2 is usually rough but he was the only one with 0 loss. He shouldn't be saved because his team did well.  I still think Jillian hurt the team by sending the first one home. Things could have been a lot different if she'd just gone home at the first elimination.

2013-01-08 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4568148

User image

San Diego, CA
rrrunner - 2013-01-08 10:03 AM

I agree. I know week 2 is usually rough but he was the only one with 0 loss. He shouldn't be saved because his team did well.  I still think Jillian hurt the team by sending the first one home. Things could have been a lot different if she'd just gone home at the first elimination.

I didn't get that impression at all but it seems to be a common theme among other viewers.  I agree that she should have stayed and got sent home at the weigh in but I don't think Jillian sent her home.  Jillian just made her aware of the options: work or go home.  You can't blame her for that woman not wanting to put in the work.

Either way, I think it really sucks that Jillian's team is dropping like flies.  I really like her and would hate for her run on this season to be over after the first 4 episodes if things continue at this rate!

2013-01-08 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4568203

User image

Elite
jasonatkins - 2013-01-08 11:29 AM

I didn't get that impression at all but it seems to be a common theme among other viewers.  I agree that she should have stayed and got sent home at the weigh in but I don't think Jillian sent her home.  Jillian just made her aware of the options: work or go home.  You can't blame her for that woman not wanting to put in the work.

Either way, I think it really sucks that Jillian's team is dropping like flies.  I really like her and would hate for her run on this season to be over after the first 4 episodes if things continue at this rate!

This isn't Jillian's first rodeo... every single contestant that has ever been on the show comes to the ranch saying they can't. They understand that. If Jillian really thought hat girl was not ready to work...then I'll take her word for it.... the show has to have extras to cover such events, but they also don't want to loose them. You know off camera they were talking to her trying to get her to stay.

Last night was just wrong... a guy gets a zero and he stays. And ya I get it it had the biggest loss the week before... but a ZERO.

I'm not sure if they are just showing more... but all the falling out just seems more than normal. Did you catch the shot of all of them in the "ice room". All laid out on tables with ice everywhere.

2013-01-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4568363

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
powerman - 2013-01-08 1:33 PM

This isn't Jillian's first rodeo... every single contestant that has ever been on the show comes to the ranch saying they can't. They understand that. If Jillian really thought hat girl was not ready to work...then I'll take her word for it.... the show has to have extras to cover such events, but they also don't want to loose them. You know off camera they were talking to her trying to get her to stay.

Last night was just wrong... a guy gets a zero and he stays. And ya I get it it had the biggest loss the week before... but a ZERO.

I'm not sure if they are just showing more... but all the falling out just seems more than normal. Did you catch the shot of all of them in the "ice room". All laid out on tables with ice everywhere.

They have shown them in ice baths before...extreme recovery is the only way they could manage this punishment day after day....

2013-01-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4568406

User image

Elite
jldicarlo - 2013-01-08 12:51 PM
powerman - 2013-01-08 1:33 PM

They have shown them in ice baths before...extreme recovery is the only way they could manage this punishment day after day....

Ya, the ranch is the ranch. I bet they are going Sun up to Sun down... work, rest, massage, RICE, eat, work, repeat, rest.... ect.

2013-01-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4568363

User image

Champion
Calgary
powerman - 2013-01-08 12:33 PM

Yeah I get that bit about JM. They way they showed it just made JM seem like an idiot. I suppose that is my early beef. Of course poor editing has always been a problem.
2013-01-09 8:52 AM

Veteran
Tennessee

It looks like Bob might be into cross fit by looking at his outside gym space. When his team showed up to see his gym, there was several fit people working out like crazy. One of the guys that he claimed to work out with was from my neck of the woods. He was the crossfit world champion 2011 and 2012.

Edited by iruptacopula 2013-01-09 8:55 AM
2013-01-09 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4569646

User image

Queen BTich
iruptacopula - 2013-01-09 9:52 AM

It looks like Bob might be into cross fit by looking at his outside gym space. When his team showed up to see his gym, there was several fit people working out like crazy. One of the guys that he claimed to work out with was from my neck of the woods. He was the crossfit world champion 2011 and 2012.

Uhhhhh, YES. (sorry, but you're late to the CF fanatics bandwagon) That's Rich Froning, from Cookeville. 

(8331231217_a89aef399c_n-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
8331231217_a89aef399c_n-1.jpg (83KB - 9 downloads)
2013-01-09 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4569689

User image

Queen BTich

dp.

Also, Bob is a big CF proponent, obviously. The equipment is all Rogue Fitness, a company that supplies many CF gyms. If you notice, most of the clothes he wears are related to CF companies. 

Edited by Comet 2013-01-09 9:14 AM

2013-01-09 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4569689

Veteran
Tennessee
Comet - 2013-01-09 9:06 AM
iruptacopula - 2013-01-09 9:52 AM

Uhhhhh, YES. (sorry, but you're late to the CF fanatics bandwagon) That's Rich Froning, from Cookeville. 

Not late, just not my cup of tea. I know who Rich is, drive by his house everyday. He use to have like 10 cars parked at his house and people would be working out in the garage, yard just where ever. He has or is about to open his own gym here in cookeville.

Edited by iruptacopula 2013-01-09 9:54 AM
2013-01-09 1:58 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

I like the red line and wish they'd leave it there.  The problem so many of us had from last season was the total focus on drama, alliances, game play, etc, that a particular group of contestants focused on.  They've had contestants try that in the past, but for the most part they were weeded out by the others.  Last season, the majority cared more about game play than the actual weight loss and knocked off the rest.  Having the family/friends dynamic only added to that, because you had an instant clique of 2.

I don't think the majority of people watch it for Survivor-type backstabbing and intrigue.  Keep the challenges and competition aspects of the show with the teams, if you must.  But if your team loses the weigh in, no vote, no alliances to save you.  That doesn't mean I want someone who has one off week to be sent home.  But I also don't want to see someone skate by while barely staying about the line (think Vinny from last season) or consistently get saved despite being below the line (Conda, you miserable human being).  Instead, make the cut off either total percentage to date or maybe an average of the last 3 or 4 weeks.  Bottom line: reward the consistent and good performers without punishing them for one bad weigh-in.

Jillian's approach week 1 seemed a little over the top.  She's always been super aggressive, but always backed off.  I think she may have been right with Nikki, though.  They're not going to have a chance of changing their lives and addressing any issues that got them there in the first place if they can't even face those issue.

2013-01-09 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4567552

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
KSH - 2013-01-08 7:41 AM
powerman - 2013-01-07 11:27 AM

I love Jillian.

I was really surprised to see someone walk out the first week.  I mean I'm sure they all want to walk out... but to be given such an opportunity, and just walk out. Even if your heart isn't in it and you get eliminated... but to walk out in the first week, when everyone else is falling down and puking too... wow.

Shame for TC.. but he has a lot to loose and has a good chance at winning the "at home" prize. I do understand that you do not get that big just eating. It's a sickness,an addiction, and I get it... but he was in that wreck and made the promise to loose weight for his kid and all that... and has been trying to get on he show for 2 years.... so what have you been doing for two years... gaining weight and waiting to get on some show?

It's awesome to see the kids on the show...ya they are not "on the show", but its; really cool to get them involved too.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He was SO UPSET about the wreck and made a promise to lose weight... but didn't... and he had 2 YEARS to work on it.

Me too! That's EXACTLY what I said! What happened in those 2 years??? NOTHING!

2013-01-09 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4570373

User image

Elite
dgunthert - 2013-01-09 12:58 PM

I like the red line and wish they'd leave it there.  The problem so many of us had from last season was the total focus on drama, alliances, game play, etc, that a particular group of contestants focused on.  They've had contestants try that in the past, but for the most part they were weeded out by the others.  Last season, the majority cared more about game play than the actual weight loss and knocked off the rest.  Having the family/friends dynamic only added to that, because you had an instant clique of 2.

I don't think the majority of people watch it for Survivor-type backstabbing and intrigue.  Keep the challenges and competition aspects of the show with the teams, if you must.  But if your team loses the weigh in, no vote, no alliances to save you.  That doesn't mean I want someone who has one off week to be sent home.  But I also don't want to see someone skate by while barely staying about the line (think Vinny from last season) or consistently get saved despite being below the line (Conda, you miserable human being).  Instead, make the cut off either total percentage to date or maybe an average of the last 3 or 4 weeks.  Bottom line: reward the consistent and good performers without punishing them for one bad weigh-in.

Jillian's approach week 1 seemed a little over the top.  She's always been super aggressive, but always backed off.  I think she may have been right with Nikki, though.  They're not going to have a chance of changing their lives and addressing any issues that got them there in the first place if they can't even face those issue.

I like your style...  I happen to think Survivor is the best game show ever... because of the game play, not the drama. I also happen to think BL is one of the worst game shows ever... because the game play is so weak. LOVE the show and what they are doing and all that is great great stuff... just horrible game play.

And this weeks preview... they are going to be locked in a room of junk food for 4 hours... WTF? I hate the "temptation" challenges. Yes, I get temptation in real life... but it is just wrong. So ya, consistent performers moving forward... ya. Scheming scamming BS... no.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Biggest Loser Rss Feed  

of 13