General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC doing away with mass starts at races - Discuss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

WTC doing away with mass starts at races - Discuss
OptionResults
Good idea49 Votes - [32.45%]
Bad idea102 Votes - [67.55%]

2013-02-21 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4630534

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
Subject: RE: WTC doing away with mass starts at races - Discuss

I didn't read all 3 pages, but I'm probably seconding someone else's opinion:

I don't mind the cutoff shenanigans. What I mind is the fact that during my most recent triathlon (Nations Tri in DC), I started 1:55 after the elites started. That means no access to transition, standing out in the cold in a spandex suit in a corral just waiting for your number to be called. It sucked. A lot. I will not be doing that race again until I am in the 30-35 age group that gets to start first. If they can come up with a way where I know I'm going to start an hour and a half late and therefore I can show up an hour and a half late, set up my stuff an hour and a half late, and change into race attire an hour and a half late, then I'm all for it. But standing around just waiting (While the elites are literally crossing the finish line) is just annoying.

2013-02-21 8:05 AM

The cut off can be handled electronically. They can record the splits in real time you you are over the limit the hunt you down and pull you from the course.
2013-02-21 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4631280

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
__sugar__ - 2013-02-21 8:48 AM

I don't mind the cutoff shenanigans. What I mind is the fact that during my most recent triathlon (Nations Tri in DC), I started 1:55 after the elites started. That means no access to transition, standing out in the cold in a spandex suit in a corral just waiting for your number to be called. It sucked. A lot. I will not be doing that race again until I am in the 30-35 age group that gets to start first. If they can come up with a way where I know I'm going to start an hour and a half late and therefore I can show up an hour and a half late, set up my stuff an hour and a half late, and change into race attire an hour and a half late, then I'm all for it. But standing around just waiting (While the elites are literally crossing the finish line) is just annoying.

Yup, I agree. When you start in a different wave from other folks you are actually doing a different race, and often in dramatically different conditions. A number of years ago (at NYC Olympic) my wave went into the water right behind the pros and I swam 18:xx. I had friends go off about an hour later who were much better swimmers than me and they swam 27:xx. The difference? The tide turned in the Hudson - I had the benefit, they lost out that time. Race anywhere hot during the summer? The difference between getting on the course an hour earlier or later than others can be HUGE. For this reason alone I would always rather do a mass start when given the opportunity.

2013-02-21 8:12 AM

User image

I think they're focussing on mass participation.  IM is becomming the new marathon (if it hasn't already) where people are far more bothered with saying they've done it than entering in the spirit of the event.

It will push real athletes out of the sport looking for the next big thing and fill the race up with people looking to impress the neighbours.

2013-02-21 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4630596

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Bevie - 2013-02-20 4:44 PM

I don't think that is a great idea.  I think the mass IM start is one of the many wonders of the sporting world.  Sure it will most definitely be safer for the majority of people.  I will be severly dissapointed if they implement this for IMWI before the 2013 race.

I agree with this.  I considered the mass start as part of the experience.  AZ would have felt incomplete without that first 45 mins of total chaos.

2013-02-21 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4630626

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
pga_mike - 2013-02-20 5:02 PM

I love the mass start and the chaos.  It is a part of Ironman.  If it was supposed to be easy, they would have named it something else!

I CANNOT fathom why WTC would be considering this.  One of the great things about an IM is that you know that if you are passing someone, you are passing them.  It was fun with my friends to have several of them pass me on the bike.  I knew that I would be coming out of the water with talented cyclists and runners, and was not surprised to have about 15% of the field pass me on the bike.

If you don't want to get in the washing machine, just wait about 1-2 minutes.

The reason is easy: liability and to "do something" about swim deaths- a knee jerk reaction like the NFL and all the new safety rules regarding head injuries. They are having to respond somewhat to this perception. Savanna HIM was a wave start, so it's natural for them to think they can do it in fulls as well I guess.

2013-02-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4630888

User image

Master
vonschnapps - 2013-02-20 7:40 PM

Look for more warm-up swims before races also.

This will be much more effective than a change in start style.

For those who are stating that the number of deaths in triathlon are insignificant....give thanks that you are alive to state that.

:rollseyes: 

2013-02-21 8:51 AM

ChrisM - 2013-02-20 5:16 PM

Rumor - WTC is implementing a wave swim start to replace mass swim starts, starting with IM CdA, to spread to all races

Discuss  

it is going to be like sex without foreplay...

2013-02-21 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4631409

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I'm assuming Kona qualifying will be based on chip times and not the big clock?
2013-02-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4631104

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

ChrisM - 2013-02-21 12:31 AM Thanks for the info. One big problem I could see is slower swimmers limit up for the 6:35 wave to get an extra 25 minutes. How do people get in the particular time wave? Line up? Sign up? I know you may not know the details but this is just another PITA to deal with on race morning.

x2 this was happening at IMLOU until they stated you CANNOT camp out overnight to get in line first - which is what people were doing. I think people still show up hours before the line officially opens (at 5 a.m.?), but they're not pulling all nighters out there anymore.

2013-02-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4631409

User image

NC
NickChasovskykh - 2013-02-21 9:51 AM

it is going to be like sex without foreplay...

After first I didn't like the possible change, but when you put it like that . . . .

2013-02-21 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
ChrisM - 2013-02-20 5:16 PM

Rumor - WTC is implementing a wave swim start to replace mass swim starts, starting with IM CdA, to spread to all races

Discuss  

I personally don't like this idea at all either.  As crazy as that mass start is, it's one of the craziest things about the sport that really separates it from others.   Frankly, I'm not sure how a wave of 200 people is any safer than 2500 people. In the end, one individual person is still going to be surrounded by 20 or so other people in the same space.  In fact the time trial start is the biggest thing that keeps me from wanting to do Louisville.  

Really stinks for people who are going to be struggling to make the 17 hour cut off which could be reduced by 45 minutes or so.  Someone could finish in 16:55 and finish, where someone else might finish in 16:20 and technically DNF.  I don't like anything about it.

2013-02-21 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4630692

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
dkahns51 - 2013-02-20 6:28 PM
pga_mike - 2013-02-20 3:02 PM

I CANNOT fathom why WTC would be considering this.

Probably because the want people to stop dieing in the mass swim starts.

"During this 6-year span ending with calendar-2011 there were 30 swim-related deaths, and 38 deaths in all." 

source http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Deaths_in_Triathlon_Study_Released_3190.html

I didn't read your link, but is there evidence that these deaths are related directly to mass starts as opposed to simply going to hard?  A wave of 2500 people or 200 people you're still going to be very crowded so I just don't see how this changes things.  Unless with fewer people to watch rescuers may see people struggling?  I dunno, still seems like a lot of people either way. 

2013-02-21 9:45 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I will throw out there, having done both a mass IM start (IMMOO) and the Louisville TT start, that the IMLOU TT start was so incredibly calm. I literally didn't touch one person the entire 2.4 miles. I had to stop about 500yd in to adjust a leaky goggle, no issues, no one near me. I didn't get in line "early" - I just got there when I got there. So I got in the water around 7:30 I think? 

The say it takes 30-40 minutes to get all the athletes in the water. IMO TT starts would be preferable to wave starts, IF they are going to move away from mass starts.

I enjoyed both, for different reasons.

2013-02-21 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4631354

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
taylorz13 - 2013-02-21 9:28 AM
pga_mike - 2013-02-20 5:02 PM

I love the mass start and the chaos.  It is a part of Ironman.  If it was supposed to be easy, they would have named it something else!

I CANNOT fathom why WTC would be considering this.  One of the great things about an IM is that you know that if you are passing someone, you are passing them.  It was fun with my friends to have several of them pass me on the bike.  I knew that I would be coming out of the water with talented cyclists and runners, and was not surprised to have about 15% of the field pass me on the bike.

If you don't want to get in the washing machine, just wait about 1-2 minutes.

The reason is easy: liability and to "do something" about swim deaths- a knee jerk reaction like the NFL and all the new safety rules regarding head injuries. They are having to respond somewhat to this perception. Savanna HIM was a wave start, so it's natural for them to think they can do it in fulls as well I guess.

And that was something I disliked tremendously about it.  2800 people in the race and I was in the 30-34 age group. One of the fastest, and we were the 14th wave I think?   We started 1:10 after the first wave.  What that resulted in was first, having transition access cut off at 7.  I was there at 6:30. Which meant I had 2 hours and 10 minutes to kill before I started. Second, you get on the bike course behind 13 waves that are slower than you.  So the bike course was absolute mayhem the entire time because it was loaded with slow riders, many of whom were first time triathletes( it's a very beginner friendly race) with VERY poor race etiquette.  I can't tell you how many people I caught up to riding 3 abreast chatting with each other.  Point being, Savannah is a bad example of wave starts going well.

2013-02-21 9:59 AM

User image

Elite

I could care less either way because I will probably wait a minute or two as mentioned above and not deal with it, just my choice

Are we saying the mass start seperates it from other things in triathlon? if so I agree, but if we say its the mass start that separates it from many things in sport...i would slightly disagree, I think most people think of the 2.4/112/26.2 or even if they do not know the exact mileage they know it is a "monster" of a race and could really care less whether its a mass or tt.

I think if they believe part of the CV deaths are from adrenaline/nevousness etc...the TT or similar to louisville may lower the anxiety and maybe it could help someone.

2013-02-21 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

to those who mentioned insurance costs I just wanted to reply that insurance actuaries do some of the biggest assessments of risk when it comes to insuring these (or any) events. They know the numbers, they know the risks, they know the costs. If it was going to cost more for insurance because of the mass vs. wave start we would probably hear about it. I can agree there is a bit of a media portion to this and backlash that can arise from those who do not know better but since there is no evidence to support that any one way is safer than another, the only way to make it perfectly safe is to get rid of the swim altogether and it become the ironman Duathlon instead right?

I do plan to do an IM at some point and want to do one that has a mass start as part of the experience. The tri's I have done so far all had wave starts which was ok but my adrenaline is no higher or lower there than it would be for anything else. If someone is going to be nervous/anxious/excited, that is how they will be regardless of the start (or at least, that is how I am).

2013-02-21 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4631636

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA

bel83 - 2013-02-21 11:44 AM

If someone is going to be nervous/anxious/excited, that is how they will be regardless of the start (or at least, that is how I am).

I don't disagree with your other points, but on this one I am definitely different than you. I do not get anxious/nervous/stressed before most races. It's actually pretty hard to stress me out over anything. But the difference between starting with 200 other people and 1000 (I've done both) is significant. That did actually make me anxious about all sorts of things like positioning, wtf are these 500 people behind me going to do, etc. Whereas with 20-200 people, it's really not that different than starting by yourself. You also end up on your own much sooner in a smaller start.

Like I said, just my perspective, mass starts are a different stress for me.

On another note: I think it's silly to just keep it because a "chaotic" start is the true experience. No. Going 140.6 is the experience. That's what you trained for.

2013-02-21 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
bel83 - 2013-02-21 11:44 AM

to those who mentioned insurance costs I just wanted to reply that insurance actuaries do some of the biggest assessments of risk when it comes to insuring these (or any) events. They know the numbers, they know the risks, they know the costs. If it was going to cost more for insurance because of the mass vs. wave start we would probably hear about it. I can agree there is a bit of a media portion to this and backlash that can arise from those who do not know better but since there is no evidence to support that any one way is safer than another, the only way to make it perfectly safe is to get rid of the swim altogether and it become the ironman Duathlon instead right?

I do plan to do an IM at some point and want to do one that has a mass start as part of the experience. The tri's I have done so far all had wave starts which was ok but my adrenaline is no higher or lower there than it would be for anything else. If someone is going to be nervous/anxious/excited, that is how they will be regardless of the start (or at least, that is how I am).

Then again, "perfectly safe" would be a stretch as people have died in marathons as well.  The only way to be perfectly safe is to sit on your couch.  Like someone's signature on here, "of course it's hard, its an effing Ironman."  It's good as is, if you can't handle the mass start, you probably can't handle the remaining 140 miles.

2013-02-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4631769

User image

Master
Houston
RookieIM - 2013-02-21 11:46 AM

Then again, "perfectly safe" would be a stretch as people have died in marathons as well.  The only way to be perfectly safe is to sit on your couch.  Like someone's signature on here, "of course it's hard, its an effing Ironman."  It's good as is, if you can't handle the mass start, you probably can't handle the remaining 140 miles.

Dating myself here but...

Sometime in the 70s in a TV series called Taxi there was an episode where the "Alex" told a story of a lady he knew who was so scared she never left her house, had her food delivered, etc.

One day a car swerved went through her living room window and ran her over while watching TV.

Life is not safe.  Might as well enjoy it.

2013-02-21 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I want to say that I don't care either way, but I can't because I also find myself thinking, "I'm glad I did it when it was the mass start so I got to experience it." Guess that makes me lean towards a preference for the mass start. I grew up playing soccer and football, though, so I think I like the contact side of the IM in the beginning - it makes it fun and gets your blood flowing (in your veins!) quickly. Where else are you ever going to get to do something so crazy?

It's like starting the HH100 bike ride - 13,000 other riders all in the same spot going off at the start. It's so unique that it makes it fun and memorable. (although the HH100 has started using chutes to stagger the start slightly)

2013-02-21 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I have never done an IM but plan to do my first next year. With that being said, I would really like to do a Mass Start. I agree that it's something about an IM Mass start that I like. You are out there with the same conditions racing against all competitors, nobody gets anymore of an advantage then anyone else. One of the reasons I turned away from looking at IM Louisville is because of the TT start. To see that depending on when I got in line, I might only have 16:20 to finish instead of 17:00 scared me a little. I do not think I will be anywhere near the 17:00 cutoff when I do my IM but I would like to know I have the full amount of time incase something bad happens on the course. I would hate to go in the last wave and only have 16:20 to finish the race. Either way, I will still do IM next year and I can see both sides to the argument but I think we should stay with the Mass Start. If its not broken, dont fix it.
2013-02-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4631313

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
TankBoy - 2013-02-21 9:06 AM
__sugar__ - 2013-02-21 8:48 AM

Yup, I agree. When you start in a different wave from other folks you are actually doing a different race, and often in dramatically different conditions. A number of years ago (at NYC Olympic) my wave went into the water right behind the pros and I swam 18:xx. I had friends go off about an hour later who were much better swimmers than me and they swam 27:xx. The difference? The tide turned in the Hudson - I had the benefit, they lost out that time. Race anywhere hot during the summer? The difference between getting on the course an hour earlier or later than others can be HUGE. For this reason alone I would always rather do a mass start when given the opportunity.

Agreed.  And it's a bit of a peeve of mine but I completely understand - but i've done so many races where the women's and older-folks are in the later waves.  It can be a lot of waiting and it can be a completely different race - I have had that heat experience you mention but also the number of spectators and available aid declines as the more time passes.  Courses can feel downright lonely.  I have to say it kind of sucked that when I finished Muskoka 70.3 they were already tearing down race banners.  I was thrilled with my result but I started more than 30 minutes after the first waves - so even people slower than me had finished and there weren't that many more people out on the course ... that's more of a comment for the race organizers though.  Please don't tear down race banner too early. 

And, it is also likely a comment on the demographics of tri - especially longer distance where my races have had only about 25% women but you put waves out by age group and women are together in the later waves it's pretty quiet out on the race course later - but that's another topic entirely ...

For the IM distance, I know conquering the mass start was a big accomplishment for me, personally.  I know there are non-mass start IMs - i am sure it would be fine with waves too but for me part of the achievement was getting through it.

2013-02-21 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
bel83 - 2013-02-21 5:44 AM

conspiracy theories abound....but I can't help but think WTC, being a corporation to make money, is cornered to 4 expansion areas:

1. add more races < which they are trying

2. add more people  < wave starts could allow this

3. reduce operating costs  < lower the insurance (and legal) costs

4. charge more < which they are

between crazy lawsuits and insurance claims seem to kill the fun on nearly everything (eventually).

2013-02-21 2:33 PM

Regular

Personally I would be strongly against going to wave starts for IM.  This past year it was brutal on the swim at IMAZ but still would not want this to change.  

I did find IMFL mass start 2010 and 2011 to be far less brutal.  Plus my IMFL swim time was significantly faster.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC doing away with mass starts at races - Discuss Rss Feed  

of 6