General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 15s
Overall Rank = 233/415
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15 since we had to ride bikes to transition and get timing chips still. Had a little coffee as I double checked bag. Made sure everything was ready for babysitter. Jason and I were leaving by just after 5. Ate part of a Clif bar and drank some water.
Event warmup:

Rode to transition. Ran to rack. Set up. Ran to get chip. Ran to get marked. Ran to potty stop (got my first glimpse of "IRONMAN" haha!). Sucked in a Gu.
Stood around (had many more looks at, now speedo clad, "IRONMAN"). Race started about 45 minutes late.
Swim
  • 10m 18s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first OWS was two weeks ago in the same lake. I freaked/choked on that one. Today felt totally different! I got in the water with about 90sec til start. Bobbed under a few times and looked around under water. When he said GO, I just put my head in and went. :) Breathing felt good going every right like I've been practicing for two weeks. Got bumped around by a few women and tried to find openings, but that's a skill for the next race. I'm still slow enough that the top 3 men in the wave behind us swam OVER me (shoulder, head and hip shoved down), BUT I didn't lose my focus!!! I don't think I passed anyone, but I didn't get totally left behind either (at least by my wavemates).
***NOTE: I FELT GOOD, BUT STILL HAVE NO OFFICIAL TIME. MY WATCH PUT ME AT ABOUT 10:18.***
What would you do differently?:

Need more swim time overall. Be more aggressive.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This T1 was FOREVER away from the beach and up a hill!!! They had the rock covered with a mat until a steep concrete drainage chute. Eeek. Ran to bike and got things switched over fairly quickly. Remembered to grab a Gu this time :)
****NOTE: STILL NO OFFICIAL TIME.***

Someday I'll do no socks and have tri shoes.
Bike
  • 38m
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good about my swim so I was energized :) It was definitely warmer than I had planned on as I got started. I pushed pretty hard for the whole distance. Used my gears to really try to keep a strong, comfortable cadence and passed a lot of people. At one point Jason said he was surprised to see me just a few minutes behind him going the other direction. There were a few other riders that I played "pass-a-boo" with for parts of the course. And that whole drafting thing...geez, what a mind messer! But, I had a man tell me "You're a good rider" as I passed him. It was pretty motivating, even if he passed me back later :) This being only my third race, I felt like it was a challenge without beating me down.

A couple more sips of water going into the run...sun was strong even early.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Long run down to the rack on pavement (a little slick in bike shoes). And it was quite an adjustment going from full sun to shaded transition even with sunglasses. Came in right behind the guy next to me on the rack. Got shoes changed quicker than last time (I think). Grabbed a quick drink and my number belt. Took off!!!....walking down a flight of stairs.

Tri shoes?
Run
  • 33m 9s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not a fast runner...ever. But the delayed start made sure that my bladder was nice and full a mile into the run. Ouch!!! And maybe I was blind, but I didn't see consistent mile markers. Sooooo it felt like the never-ending 5k. I took little sips of water and Gatorade at each station, and was very happy to have a cold sponge for my neck at the last one...about 80* on the run. I did enjoy seeing Riley and her team go by, and there were some great volunteers that cheered and yelled encouragement. By the last mile I was really just enjoying almost being done, so I was yelling happy things back at them :) A couple 8/9 yr old girls were cheering and giving directions right before the last bridge. Appreciating their exuberance, I told them "Thank you so much! I'm so excited to go over this bridge! And only one turn after that???? Yes!" They gave me a little burst of energy to pass a couple of guys going over the bridge. Almost to the finish, two cheering ladies were yelling "You got this! Go on! You're so close!" "Woohoo! Yes, I do! And it feels soooo good!!!" was my response. Jason was waiting a few hundred yards before the finish, and I tried to kick it in a little going up the hill. There was one guy just in front of me and I could have squeezed by him by a couple of feet. But he was running with a limp, and somehow it just felt wrong.

I might try a visor next time. Hate sweat running down my face.
Post race
Warm down:

Told Jason how thrilled I was with my swim...mainly that I felt like I actually SWAM this time! Grabbed water and watermelon. Walked to bathroom...finally! Hung out in transition for a bit and packed things up. Talked to a very nice lady from Albuquerque for a few minutes. Said bye to a friend and rode bike back to the car to head for Starbucks :D

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More swim training.

Event comments:

It's past noon...ON TUESDAY!... and we still don't have correct race results posted. We'd like to know how we did, although by the looks of things, there are errors even in the times that have been posted.
The race delay commentary/arguing was interesting to listen to.
I'm not sure about the course measurements being accurate. I emailed them about the results and measurements about an hour ago.
The post-race awards ceremony didn't start until 1pm. That's a long time for people to wait around.
I thought the volunteers and support did a good job.
Not sure if I'll choose to do this one again...second chance next year?

Last updated: 2013-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:18 | 437 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/415
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: An odd trapezoidal shape...looooong on one side of "rectangle".
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:00 | 12.43 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/17
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: I rode a section of this course in the last race, so I knew about a couple of the hills. Seemed like quite a few turns, and several tight u-turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:09 | 03.2 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Course: Loop around lake with 2 bridge crossings.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

2013-05-21 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4751955

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon
Nice race!  Awesome swim!  Fabulous bike!  Great run in the heat!  You rocked it!  Cool
2013-05-21 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Congratulations! You killed it
2013-05-21 7:58 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Fantastic job! That bike split is amazing. You are speedy.
2013-05-22 12:33 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Thank you, ladies! I have a long, LONG way to go, but a great support group around me :D
2013-05-22 6:47 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Great job!!! How cool that your swim felt that much better in just two weeks. Congrats.

2013-05-22 9:06 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Wow, great race, Erin!  So happy to hear your swim went well and there were no freak out issues plus you swam it at a great pace!  And yeah, you were screamin' on the bike, nice!!!  Sorry to hear the timing is AFU, part of why we do this is to know what our times were!  That is very bad for the race org because they will surely lose some folks over that.  Congrats again, speedy girl!
2013-05-22 2:20 PM

User image

Melon Presser

CONSMACKULATIONS!!!

Sorry about the timing snafus, that sucks ... but you are still one helluva racer especially for essentially just starting out ... 7/17??? Awesome!!!

I've had neverending 5Ks like that as well. But you know how I learned to deal with them ... P.S. a waffle car towel and wet wipes to dry yourself off, plus another towel on the car seat, you're good as gold.

2013-05-22 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job, especially being new to OWS.

I did the Oly, and the end of the run killed me. At least they had a lot of cold water on the course
2013-05-22 5:28 PM
in reply to: MichelleK

User image

Master

Originally posted by MichelleK Nice job, especially being new to OWS. I did the Oly, and the end of the run killed me. At least they had a lot of cold water on the course

Thank you, Michelle   Oh man, I bet the run was more than just extra warm for you guys. Ick!  Was this your first Oly? Did you do their races last year?

2013-05-22 8:35 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome!!  Super fast on the bike & run. 

Keeping focused on the swim while being swum over is pretty darn impressive.

2013-05-23 2:16 PM

First off, great job! Great bike time!

Second, I have also e-mailed the race director a number of times regarding results, and the distance.

I suggested the course was VERY long, as I measured it with 3 different devices. My GPS, my bike computer, and my iPhone. The GPS came out at 3.52, bike at 3.54 and iPhone was off I think at 3.78. When I measured the bike course with my GPS and bike I got 12.51 and 12.50 so almost right on, and depending how you take corners I could have had exactly 12.40. Anyway, he sent me back a link to an article saying how GPS devices are very inaccurate. That doesn't prove my bike computer is off. I had it calibrated at my local bike shop, and I've tested it by other means and my bike computer is not off. Regardless he refuses to admit the course is long, he said he measured 3.15 for the course.

My run time was 34:58 which would put my pace at 11:17 min/mile, I have not run that slow in years! I was injured 3 weeks ago at my last tri and I walked a good portion of the run and I averaged a 10:25 min/mile pace. This time I was healthy and ran the whole time, my device had my pace at 10:17 and my run time at 35:55 BUT I did not turn it off right away because I was sick at the end and turning it off was not a priority, getting hydrated and not puking were my priority, but his response was that he believes the timing is accurate and the distance is accurate and it will stand as is. I also saw the clock at the end, and going by my wave and the clock my time is 1:29 off. This was also passed off as them making no error.

I know something is fishy because the 2 girls who finished ahead of me are not in the right order. One girl I know finished ahead of the other but the results show differently. It's all very upsetting. It's very off putting and I am not sure I'd do the race again.

2013-05-23 4:23 PM
in reply to: ABumann

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
First off, Great race wifey!! I have to get on my bike a bunch more with her now in some of my races. You were only 8 seconds off my bike time!

Second, as some have stated the distance is clearly off on the run.

Third, If they want to charge $100 for a sprint, then it should have the look and feel of a $100 race. It didn't and they won't be getting our money again. They ran it like a $40 race and gave $40 results. Lack of professionalism when dealing with the start problems and "custom finisher medals" along with the timing issues create a subpar race event.
2013-05-23 5:28 PM
in reply to: jclarke450

You hit the nail on the head! It was a $40 race. I thought all the tent were vendors, instead they were for the teams, and I found some of the members from certain teams were very rude. Not a good way to represent yourself if you want people to join.

I love the trifamilyracing events because they are fairly inexpensive, laid back, friendly, AND they start on time! You don't get the massage at every race, or a lot of vendors, but I go because the race directors are friendly and easy going. Also, results are posted timely and if there is ever an issue the race directors actually fix it! They go above and beyond to make the competitors happy. I do with they would have an event photographer though.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

Started by perkins_jerryw
Views: 1217 Posts: 1

2007-05-24 5:12 PM perkins_jerryw

Started by BHannahs
Views: 1537 Posts: 7

2007-05-21 5:37 PM halfdome

Started by robot
Views: 1651 Posts: 9

2007-05-27 12:27 AM cordova61

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1552 Posts: 7

2007-05-21 6:07 PM mikeg123

Started by andymartin826
Views: 1676 Posts: 4

2006-05-23 11:13 PM dorkboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.