Ultramax Sports
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m
Overall Rank = 55/314
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/28
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:10, wake up shower, pack stuff in car. I was transporting a bike for a friend that was doing the sprint so a little extra time putting two bikes on the trunk rack. T-Storms going off during the night, was hoping all would be clear by race start time.
Event warmup:

Can't really call it a warm up. Got to transition, it started to rain. Put my wetsuit on, that actually felt good since it wasn't so cold with the extra layer. I looked at the hour by hour the night before and it showed clearing by around 8:00 ish until mid-day so I was hoping we could get this race in.

So at a little after 7 they announced a delay. You could see lightning south of the lake, not sure how close that was but apparently close enough. So we waited it out, I talked with Mark and Patrick some as I ate my PB&J sandwhich. Finally went to the port-a-potty, it was dry in there.

This was my first race wearing the new Zoot 1-piece Tri Suit and of course I've also got the wetsuit on as I enter the port-a-potty. Takes a bit longer to take care of business etc.

Then they announce the cancellation of the swim "I've got bad news and also some good news" said the RD. So swim was out but we were going to race. So they announce a bike time trial statt. Pro's goes first, then age groupers line up in random order. It was chip-timed so what the heck I suppose. At first I was pondering scrapping it since it was still wet and I wasn't sure if the rain would stop. My only bike injury came while riding fast in the rain. But then I did some thinking and since this bike course is very non-technical, mostly rollers and straight roads, I figured I could go easy on the bike if I had to.

Patrick was dissapointed about not having the swim and rightly so. Last year he threw down a sub 21 minute swim which rivals most pros at this distance. Turns out the three that beat him in this race typically take longer than 27 minutes for an oly swim, talke about losing you edge, that's huge. I knew I was giving up a little on the swim but not that much. Oh yeah, this was a 5150 Qualifyer for Des Moines so I figured why not stick around and see what happens......
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No Swim, cancelled due to T-Storms
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Just T2 today
Bike
  • 1h 10m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Finally got the wetsuit off, put my helmet and bike shoes on and casually got in line for the time trial start. They were sending off every 2-3 seconds so it went pretty quick. Things started to warm up as I got to the start line but th roads where still wet. Of course I had trouble clipping in so pulled to the right out of way for those behind me. Finally got clipped in and it was now go time!

There's a pretty good little descent less than a mile from the start and the roads were still wet but no sharp turns required so I sped up, got aero and zoomed past a couple of people. Then there's a small hill right after that and I motored up the hill fairly easily. I spent first few miles warming up, passing people as I approached the park exit area.

After a few miles the sun actually started to show itself. The roads started to dry up which allowed me to pedal a little harder. I focused on staying aero as much as possible, I have the Giro Adv. 2 aero helmet so I tried not to look down which would negate the advantage/purpose of the helmet. I think I only looked down maybe once and did a decent job of keeping my head in the right position.

The most technical part was the turnaround and the roads were still a tad wet there. The guy in front of me unclipped one foot as he made the turn, not a bad idea actually. I took the turn slow but didn't inclip. it's sigghtly downhill after the turnaround and I had caught up to 3-4 riders so I got out of the saddle and passed two of them. The third rider slowed down a little while taking a drink so I passed him also. He later passed me back on a little climb. After a few minutes a guy passed me, think it was a Trek Speed Concept, nice aero wheels etc. He appeared at least at the moment to be well above my ability. I then made my way up the the other guy that I had passed before and we both caught a third rider. So I patiently went at that pace for a few minutes, at the required non-draft distance of 7 meters or so until I finally said to myself "enough of this cr__, I'm outta here". So I temporarily put the hammer down and bolted past the both of them.

I could then see the Trak SC guy in front of me and I gradually inched closer and closer to him. I then passed him on a flat area then he passed me going up the hill just before the dam. I was only 6 miles away from T2 so I relaxed in as aero position as I could be and paced behind Trek SC guy.

Two more little descents followed by small cimbs left heading into T2, on one of them I sped up and hit the downhill nice and fast, tucked down and actually while coasting, cruised past Trek SC guy who was pedaling as we approached the last climb of the day. I kept good speed going back up the hill and head a nice steady ride for the last mile into T2.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I actually did not go ALL out like I have done in the past for an Oly distance ride. I rode hard, but somehow did leave some left for the run this time. My hydration was good, I downed one powerade gel, the rest was water/gatorade mixture. I stayed down in aero quite well, actually taking advantage of the aero helmet. Was hoping for a faster bike split but there were some headwinds along the way, not sure of how much, I'm guessing 10-15 mph but nothing over 20.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Well, I still haven't practiced getting my feet out of the shoes before the dismount. So I got to the dismount area, unclipped, got off the bike and started to run towards my transition spot. I had a ways to go so I stopped, took my shoes off and ran the rest of the way barefoot. That probably cost a few seconds but the ground was still a little wet and that's not fun running on road bike cleats.

Learn to dismount after taking feet out of shoes.
Run
  • 45m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 feeling OK, not great but not bad either. I ran at what felt like my 1/2 marathon pace for the first mile or so then picked it up a tad for the next few miles as I felt OK. I didn't start my watch at the bike start so I had no idea what my bike time was. I glanced at the watch a few seconds after starting my run, it was 37 minutes or so after the hour. As I was coming towards transition for lap 1 I could hear a female runner coming up behind me as she was breathing hard. She whizzed by followed by two other runners behind here. She had her name on the jersey so must have been a pro, they were charging towards the finish line competing their 2nd lap.

I like the out&back run because you can see your friends, give them high 5's etc. I got a hello from a couple guys I didn't even know were doing the race. I heard a "good job Reece" as one guy went by and I'm like "who was that?" I also like the out&back because if you're trying to catch someone in front of you you can see how hard they're going as you approach the turnaround and they're coming back. I looked at my watch after the first lap and it showed some 59 + minutes after the hour so I knew my 5K split was in the neighborhood of 22-23 minutes.

I took water at each station even though I may not have needed to. The sun had come out and the temperature was rising, maybe in the 80's by that time. I just kept a good solid pace for miles 4 and 5. Once I hit the mile 5 marker I starting picking up the pace. There's a good downhill portion about 1/2 mile before the finish so I was able to finish strong. That same dowhill portion is uphill going out and I did pretty well going up it. I charged into the finish, was happy it was over!

Not much, I think I paced well. I've never run an open 10K but I was happy with my time. I was thinking it might have been the same or slower than my HM pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers medal, saw Patrick just as I exited the finish chute. We walked over and got some Pizza. That's all they had, I might have to start bringing my own chocolate milk to some of these races as that's my favorite post race food. We walked over to the results table and much to my surprise I was 4th in AG! Top 5 get FREE entry to the 5150 Championships (HyVee) in Des Moines. But given it was a time trial start there were still some people out on the course. We waited around a bit, they posted updated results on the side of a trailer, still 4th!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only running 2-3 times a week was a limiter but also only riding 2-3 times a week is a limiter also.

Event comments:

A good race for me even though there was no swim. I appreciate that they were able to make a decision and go with it. By doing the time trial start and getting people out there made it possible to get all or most of the athletes off the bike course in the alloted time.

I think just having Pizza at the finish was weak but I'm wondering if the lack of participants drove some budget cuts. Having another race the same day only an hour away did not help. That race was actually cancelled altogether. No race pics either, must have been another budget cut.

I like the course, the run through the campground is very spectator friendly, I'll be back in 3 weeks for the 70.3 so this was a nice preview.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/314
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:49 | 24.85 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 62/314
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back starting in the park, then onto rural roads around Lawrence. Some rollers in the park and a nice long climb with 6 or so miles to go after that.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:48 | 06.21 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 85/314
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop out and back into campground area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-23 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Kansas 5150 Triathlon

2013-05-23 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4753903

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas 5150 Triathlon
Well done Reece. Glad you guys got to race.
2013-05-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: Ranski

User image

Seattle
Great job Reece! Just imagine if they wouldn't  have cancelled the swim!!!!
2013-05-23 12:15 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Great job Reece! Just imagine if they wouldn't  have cancelled the swim!!!!

Thanks Adrienne, I know huh, podium at a 5150 would have been sweet!
2013-05-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Great job, Reece. It looks like you are really in go mode, 4th AG ain't nothing to sneeze at.
2013-05-23 3:06 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Great job! You finished so well. It's hard not to say, "what if" about the swim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas 5150 Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas 5150 Triathlon

Started by KansasMom
Views: 2102 Posts: 15

2013-05-24 9:36 AM reecealan

Kansas 5150 Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1362 Posts: 3

2013-05-24 5:09 PM Barkeep

Kansas 5150 Triathlon

Started by mikec123
Views: 1022 Posts: 1

2013-05-21 10:11 AM mikec123

5150 Kansas City Triathlon

Started by lisac957
Views: 2475 Posts: 10

2012-05-22 1:25 PM KansasMom

5150 Kansas City Triathlon

Started by montyzooma
Views: 1843 Posts: 6

2012-05-31 8:45 PM thecaptin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon