General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very negative response Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-05-27 6:57 PM

User image

Subject: Very negative response

Hi.  I just came from a "family" gathering (not really family, but as close as you can get without being blood).  One of the gals was joking about Speedos and I said I bought one the other day.  She thought I was kidding but my wife confirmed it with the mention that it was actually more like bike shorts.  She (my wife) then said I was planning on doing a couple tris this summer.  The reaction was surprisingly, unanimously negative.  Not just in a kidding way but basically calling me an idiot--Why would you do that? Why waste your time? What's the point? Have fun wasting all that time while I'm sitting on the couch with a glass of wine? etc.  Now let me say this didn't bother me in the least because I dish it out plenty, have very thick skin, and have no need to justify what I'm doing (even though I think I could have pretty easily).  I was however very surprised at this negative response and it led me to wonder what the responses are that you all get/got.  Sarcasm?  Incredulity?  Negativity?  Admiration?  Jealousy?  All of the above?

Duane

Edited by dbrook1 2013-05-27 7:03 PM

2013-05-27 7:04 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Subject: RE: Very negative resonse
Never gave a damn about people talking negatively about it.

Don't let it get to you and don't let them live in your head. They're not worth it.

Find something else to talk about with them.

2013-05-27 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Very negative response
Originally posted by dbrook1

Hi.  I just came from a "family" gathering (not really family, but as close as you can get without being blood).  One of the gals was joking about Speedos and I said I bought one the other day.  She thought I was kidding but my wife confirmed it with the mention that it was actually more like bike shorts.  She (my wife) then said I was planning on doing a couple tris this summer.  The reaction was surprisingly, unanimously negative.  Not just in a kidding way but basically calling me an idiot--Why would you do that? Why waste your time? What's the point? Have fun wasting all that time while I'm sitting on the couch with a glass of wine? etc.  Now let me say this didn't bother me in the least because I dish it out plenty, have very thick skin, and have no need to justify what I'm doing (even though I think I could have pretty easily).  I was however very surprised at this negative response and it led me to wonder what the responses are that you all get/got.  Sarcasm?  Incredulity?  Negativity?  Admiration?  Jealousy?  All of the above?

Duane

Most people who know I'm into this stuff have a good for you attitude, honestly this lady sounds lazy as f#ck so dont sweat it.
2013-05-27 7:08 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Sorry to imply it was bothering me.  It really doesn't, especially since "family" always speak more freely.  I was just wondering if anyone had other stories, good or bad.
2013-05-27 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Most people tend to think I'm nuts, but respond in a generally positive way.
2013-05-27 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
I, nor my wife, ever bring it up....I don't figure anyone who doesn't participate gives a rats arse.  I don't blame them....I don't care about their hobbies.

2013-05-27 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Next time you're with the same group tell them you've entered a hot dog eating contest and compare reactions. Could be an interesting comparison.
2013-05-27 7:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still can't stop laughing about "wasting all that time while I'm sitting on the couch with a glass of wine". Uh, who's wasting time? If we're lucky enough to have surplus time to "waste", how we do it is pretty much a personal choice, possibly with input from the significant other. Can't see how one is less of a time waste than the other; surely tri training has a few more added benefits than sitting on the couch with a vino!

Yes, I get this all the time. Once from someone I dated. Needless to say, the relationship didn't last. A few years ago, a couple of "yoga and aerobics" type colleagues (who'd seen me doing a pretty intense spin session at the gym) decided I needed an intervention because of my "exercise addiction". They thought I had an eating disorder and was doing "too much cardio" to lose weight. Uh, no. Have tried all my life to gain weight; actually was training for my first Oly at the time. It can be even harder as a woman, at least in Asia, as people don't "get" why a woman would exercise for reasons other than appearance. I just try not to talk about my training or racing to people who aren't somehow involved in endurance sports., or give pretty general answers if they specifically ask. They don't have to justify their book clubs or scrapbooking or yoga or even (really!) pole-dancing classes; why do I have to justify running and tri?

Or you could take up pole-dancing in your Speedo and see what the family says then.
2013-05-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
My brother, who runs ultra marathons, asked me why I would want to do an Xterra race. He doesn't find the swimming and mountain biking parts fun. I told him that I couldn't imagine doing even another marathon anytime time soon, much less an ultra because I didn't think it would be fun. Everyone has their own ideas of a good time, and some are more opinionated than others about their ideas, and yours.

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-27 7:49 PM
2013-05-27 7:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain I, nor my wife, ever bring it up....I don't figure anyone who doesn't participate gives a rats arse.  I don't blame them....I don't care about their hobbies.

Excellent point.  Even though I'm a blabber mouth, my wife is the one that brought up the tri.

2013-05-27 7:55 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner Or you could take up pole-dancing in your Speedo and see what the family says then.

Absolutely hilarious!  I bet they'd be more positive---maybe I could even make a couple bucks at their friends' bday parties!

2013-05-27 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Left Brain I, nor my wife, ever bring it up....I don't figure anyone who doesn't participate gives a rats arse.  I don't blame them....I don't care about their hobbies.

Excellent point.  Even though I'm a blabber mouth, my wife is the one that brought up the tri.

Whenever my wife or I mention triathlons in a group setting, I end up spending 10 minutes trying to explain what a triathlon is. Several times, that is followed up with "Have you heard of the modern pentathalon?".

There just is no point to bringing it up any more.
2013-05-27 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have been pleasantly surprised that everyone has been very supportive. My brother, who would always rather be on the couch with champagne (his preference over wine), just wanted to know if I was going to build up to an IM. His favorite saying is 'If you are going to go, go big'. When I said yes, he was on board. So I guess I am lucky in this respect.

2013-05-27 8:04 PM

User image

I get reactions like this too. I find it from friends who I think really would like to be doing it themselves but are too scared or just too lazy. But about that speedo ....... This thread is useless without pics! ;-)
2013-05-27 8:05 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Payson, AZ
Honestly no.  I come from an active family, I have active friends.  I have always been active.  To everyone I know this is normal and they'd be more shocked if I gave it all up
2013-05-27 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
I get that sometimes from family and friends, but im the best in shape of my family. so i just bring that up and they usually shut up. but the really dont know what there missing.

2013-05-27 8:16 PM
in reply to: CptSnoopy

User image

Originally posted by CptSnoopy I get reactions like this too. I find it from friends who I think really would like to be doing it themselves but are too scared or just too lazy. But about that speedo ....... This thread is useless without pics! ;-)

Ok, please remain calm.  Here you go...

(Speedo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Speedo.JPG (14KB - 23 downloads)
2013-05-27 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
The only negative responses I get are from people who think it a complete waste of money, not necessarily time.
2013-05-27 8:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
I have to add that it's only my bro and I talking smack to each other. I actually get a lot of positive responses from friends. I don't go out of my way to tell people about my activities, but my parents do! They're my biggest fans and they tell anybody who'll listen what I'm up to. "You know Blanda's doing a triathlon?! That's 3 different sports in one day!".

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-27 8:25 PM
2013-05-27 8:43 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Clempson

The only negative responses I get are from people who think it a complete waste of money, not necessarily time.

Same here. I got some sarcastic responses when I first started running and said "I'm going to do a marathon" at 275lbs. Even more sarcasm when I started saying my projected times. All from friends, family knew I was serious. Now everyone who knows me knows I'm going to do what I say. I still have to explain why I would spend $650 to punish myself for 140.6 miles though. Still having a hard time explaining that one
2013-05-27 8:56 PM

User image

Colorado
A response I sometimes give when someone implies it's a waste of time or asks where I get the time is to say that I much prefer getting out for a run or a ride than watch 4 hours of TV per day, like the average American.

Duane

2013-05-27 9:20 PM
in reply to: delosh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True, when people ask how I can find the time to train, I tell them I don't watch TV. (Actually I used to watch CNN but mainly while riding the trainer. Now that Vietnam has dumped it, I'm thinking of canceling my cable altogether. I literally haven't had the TV on for a few months.) That shocks them a lot more than training 10-12 hours a week. I think most people don't realize just what a time sink it is. Ditto for Facebook, etc. Cut out just one of those, and most people will find at least 1-2 hours a day, enough for sprints and Olys.
2013-05-27 9:25 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner True, when people ask how I can find the time to train, I tell them I don't watch TV. (Actually I used to watch CNN but mainly while riding the trainer. Now that Vietnam has dumped it, I'm thinking of canceling my cable altogether. I literally haven't had the TV on for a few months.) That shocks them a lot more than training 10-12 hours a week. I think most people don't realize just what a time sink it is. Ditto for Facebook, etc. Cut out just one of those, and most people will find at least 1-2 hours a day, enough for sprints and Olys.

I agree....TV sucks...so does Facebook.  A complete waste of time. 

I figured I owed you one, Hot Runner, so I just went ahead and said it to take the heat for you. Laughing

2013-05-27 9:27 PM

User image

I've got mixed response too. But that is Ok.
They don't have to understand my hobby, just like I probably don't understand theirs.
Glad I have plenty of friends and family who understand and support me.
And I love doing what makes me happy.
2013-05-27 9:41 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
Sorry to hear. I had some friends and family that were a little skeptical... their attitudes changed after I finished that first marathon. Now, all negativity is promptly rebutted with a running challenge... now swiming and cycling as well: I even let them pick! Put-up trumps shut-up every day and twice on Sundays.

But yes, I agree with most of the respondants... I won't bring up training or races to anyone unless they ask; the conversation turns chinese fairly quickly for the layman. If someone overhears that I like to run, I usually get asked to sign up for a Tough Mudder or some other rediculously themed 'fun' run. I don't do mud runs, I do sweat runs. Endurance athletes are just wired different.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very negative response Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Possible To Negative Split Ironman Run? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by JM2
Views: 4720 Posts: 52

2013-03-11 2:55 PM LSUfan4444

Duct Tape - any negatives for blister protection?

Started by musicmcb
Views: 6911 Posts: 23

2021-04-29 9:45 AM Biker2020

Solely training OWS - any negatives??? Pages: 1 2

Started by crazyprof40
Views: 1922 Posts: 30

2011-06-21 12:30 PM H20 Killer

late hills vs negative split...run training

Started by BoobieDr
Views: 821 Posts: 3

2011-03-17 1:08 AM linfieldpt

Starting Negative split training

Started by harlequinduck
Views: 1169 Posts: 14

2011-03-04 10:58 PM harlequinduck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 17, 2008
Most coaches will agree that negative splitting is the way to go, ideally, to reach a personal best. But does the strategy really work for all?
date : February 12, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Negative splitting is a learned skill, and can be a valuable tool to use in virtually any race situation. Employing Negative Split workouts in your training can improve your racing.

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Males should be screened from their twenties onward with a fasting lipid profile to assess overall cardiovascular disease risk.