Grandman Triathlon
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 14m 49s
Overall Rank = 511/557
Age Group = First Timer
Age Group Rank = 19/28
Pre-race routine:

Got up @ 4am had some coffee at hotel and ate breakfast (quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, cilantro, avocado) got dresses and headed out the door.
Event warmup:

After setting up my transition area I walked in and out of transition & to the swim exit & then walked about a mile to warm up. There were 'real' bathrooms at the pier in addition to porta potties so I made sure to visit several times and avoided the PP (probably reason enough to do this race again) Met a lot of really nice people, mostly first timers like me, but a few seasoned ones were really nice about answering any questions we had.
Swim
  • 14m 44s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

WOW. The swim was WAY more physically challenging than i expected it to be. That being said, before the tri I was very nervous about doing the swim, race day, not nervous at all- surprised me. My husband said I did best in the swim (of SBR) and I did not believe him , but as usual he was right. The swim was HARD - as in challenging to do it right, no crowding or kicking
What would you do differently?:

Practice WAY more and do some drills and other things to improve. Wish I could find a coach
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Took some extra time getting my helmet on because it was too tight, took about a minute of fumbling to get it right. I did not sit on bucket. I did not even rinse feet or dry them - I was ready to get on with it.

Make sure my helmet is loosened to fit right on before race.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 6s
  • 18 miles
  • 14.35 mile/hr
Comments:

the good- I loved the bike. It felt very easy even with hills and I felt very physically prepared, I felt like I could have easily gone further. I passed several people. I was pretty happy with my time/pace, but not my rank.

I did feel slightly nauseated on the ride- I had some dates I wish I had ate one or two before the run but did not. I also did not drink enough on the bike, I just did not want to slow down to do it,

Biggest problem: I dropped my chain on he bike hill coming out of T1. II was in 2ed and needed to go into first, just as I was about to do this 4 or 5 friends who had arrived to cheer me on called out and I lost focus. I stood up (steep hill) and shifted and the chain locked up. It was stuck between the big first and second gear. By stuck as in I could not pull it out. I worked and worked and finally with some blood (literally) sweat and tears (not literally) got it. It cost me about 5 minutes :-(

Take my bike in for a check up before race!!!

Keep my focus on my race and not friends!!

Get clipless pedals!!!

Drink more on bike

I had had this problem with my chain before and noticed some other weird shifting noises in the last few weeks. I should have got it to a LBS. We have no local one but I bet I make the effort to get to one in the next week.

Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I was happy with this. Biggest thing that slowed me down was I stopped to blow my nose on towel. Ewwww I know but necessary

learn to blow a snot rocket :/

Also, I put on an extra shirt before run- would not do this again, I was too hot and took time.
Run
  • 40m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

VERY disappointed. I walked at least a mile.

For one thing my cheering section was there at the big hill again and being one that does not necessarily learn from my mistakes the first time, at their cheering I semi sprinted up the big hill. Stupid. My heart rate went way up. SO I walked the next mile off and on as my lungs recovered.

I also feel I was pretty spent after the swim and bike. I did not expect to walk any of this and was not happy about it. It made me realize I was not as well trained for this race/sport as I though I was.

train more, train harder, follow a training plan more consistently. BLOCK OUT ALL DISTRACTIONS during race!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I really felt like I was going to pass out after race. they handed me a PowerAid at the finish but I hate PA so did not drink it. I tried to speak to all my friends who showed up (about a 2 1/2 hour ride each way) .

I knew I needed some carbs or something quick. I found some pizza and ate a piece (no worrying about gluten for the moment) and a small ice cream someone handed me. I felt REALLY bad. My lungs were killing me.I could not get a deep breath. I am not sure if this is something respiratory I had coming on or from the event but I was ready to go, I felt completely spent. This sounds a little more dramatic than it was, no one really knew I felt bad except maybe my husband.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Undertrained and not as fit as I need to be. I know everyone has said 'first race, just make finishing your goal', but I really would like to have done better. I felt undertrained on the swim and run. Actually, after having a day to think about it -my pace was not too great on the bike so more training there too!

10-15 lbs of extra weight- it will be coming off!

I heard someone say last week Anything worth doing is worth doing right and if I am going to pursue this sport I want to do it right- or at least to the best of MY potential.

Event comments:

Well, best race since only race :) I will say the race was VERY well organized and there were a ton of volunteers. Course was VERY well marked. My son and several friends want to do race with me next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:44 | 587 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/28
Overall: 446/557
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: jump feet first off pier finger swim out about 200 yards and then in at a diagonal
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:06 | 18 miles | 14.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/28
Overall: 516/557
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: some hills but nothing too challenging except a huge hill coming out of transition
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:37 | 03.1 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/28
Overall: 496/557
Performance: Below average
Course: HUGH hill right out of transition, the rest fairly level
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-01 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: Grandman Triathlon

2013-06-02 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4763749

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: RE: Grandman Triathlon
First off, CONGRATULATIONS! It's awesome that you had so many people there to cheer you on, and even more awesome that your son and friends want to do it with you next year! I'm a bit jealous, my boyfriend is supportive and comes to most of my races, but he is the only one, and he has NO interest in doing it with me.

First off, get your bike into the shop for sure, but also know that you shouldn't change gears on the chain ring (front) while grinding up a hill. No matter how well-tuned your bike is, you'll drop your chain nearly every time.

I have to admit your T2 commentary cracked me up! I too still need to learn the "art" of the snot rocket :P I usually, just wipe my nose on my tri top (double ewwww), but I figure it can't be any worse than the crud in whatever lake I was just in, and it'll definitely get washed as soon as get home!

That sucks about the run, and I'm definitely feeling your pain on that one this weekend

As for the breathing, I've been there too and learned last fall that I have exercise-induced asthma (not saying that's what you have, just relating my experience). It starts at the beginning of the swim and lasts pretty much the whole race and I usually spend at least the next few hours coughing. It's also possible that it was just anxiety, from the swim, and because you're body was on high alert the whole race, it never disappated???

I know it's disappointing to finish a race and feel like you should have done better, but the good news is that your race should be a PR!

Congrats again, and welcome to world of triathlon. Where, no matter how well you did, you'll ALWAYS want more
2013-06-02 11:58 AM
in reply to: arquillo

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by arquillo I have to admit your T2 commentary cracked me up! I too still need to learn the "art" of the snot rocket :P I usually, just wipe my nose on my tri top (double ewwww), but I figure it can't be any worse than the crud in whatever lake I was just in, and it'll definitely get washed as soon as get home! 

Same here!  After rides or runs or races pretty much everything I have on has snot on it, lol!  My nose runs like crazy when I work out and trying to do a snot rocket just doesn't work - ends up all over my faceSmile.

Congrats on your race Melody!  You did great!

2013-06-02 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats on your race. Fun day out there and you did it!!!!
2013-06-02 2:47 PM
in reply to: Manatee Express

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE!!!!  Sounds like you had a typical first race, found out how things worked and what you need to work on... if it makes you feel any better, I have had very few races where I DIDN'T walk, and it pisses me off, too!  At least you didn't have a flat!!  I have never even tried a snot rocket, I'm sure I'd get it all over my face too, ha ha!!  Better to do it on a towel in T2!!!  I think you had a fabulous race and the next one will be even better!!!  So happy for you, Melody!!
2013-06-02 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Congrats, Melody!  Great race report, very cool you had so many people cheering you on.

2013-06-03 7:24 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great job! Way to hang in there on a tough day. Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grandman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Grandman Triathlon

Started by garyzakutney
Views: 1882 Posts: 3

2006-06-08 12:30 PM Manatee Express

The Grandman Triathlon

Started by Manatee Express
Views: 2314 Posts: 9

2006-06-05 8:45 AM autumn

The Grandman Triathlon

Started by garyzakutney
Views: 2023 Posts: 3

2006-03-08 5:22 PM megerj

Grandman Triathlon

Started by Manatee Express
Views: 2423 Posts: 4

2005-06-20 8:17 PM Manatee Express

Grandman Triathlon

Started by puffin
Views: 1413 Posts: 6

2004-06-28 10:11 AM Rio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon